Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcaord
Topic Author

ORD/IAD Range Of Aircraft

Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:09 am

Looking at flights between ORD and IAD, why such a huge range in aircraft size? There's a daily E145 as well as a 752, and just about everything in between. We even see the occasional 772. Why such a huge range in size, especially between hubs?

HNL

RE: ORD/IAD Range Of Aircraft

Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:18 am

The need to rotate aircraft into IAD. There are no maintenance hangers for UA at IAD.
HNL - There's no place like it!

United1

Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:23 am

Quoting HNL (Reply 1):
The need to rotate aircraft into IAD. There are no maintenance hangers for UA at IAD.

UA opened a hangar at IAD in 2013....

Quoting dcaord (Thread starter):
Looking at flights between ORD and IAD, why such a huge range in aircraft size? There's a daily E145 as well as a 752, and just about everything in between. We even see the occasional 772. Why such a huge range in size, especially between hubs?

Connections between ORD and IAD are not as important as they used to be when ORD didn't have many international flights. UA is matching demand with capacity...
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

GulfstreamFive

Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:26 am

Quoting HNL (Reply 1):

That's weird. Across the ramp from me at IAD there is this big building that a United 777 parks in. And the building has a United logo on it.

I guess they don't do any maintenance in that hanger.....

HNL

Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:36 am

I stand corrected. US went for decades with an IAD hub without a hanger. Good to see that UA took care of that. I still think the variety of types on the ORD-IAD-IRD route is to rotate aircraft in an out of the hub. This is of course coupled with the need to balance the demand through out the day.
HNL - There's no place like it!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos