Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VCEflyboy

RE: LAN/TAM To Re-Brand With Completely New Name

Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:27 am

Quoting steve6666 (Reply 45):
The incentives for loyalty to old TAM have, frankly, sucked. Fidelidade was/is a dismal programme compared to, say, BA Exec Club. But I think you are overestimating the sophistication of the Brazilian traveller, which, in my experience is much more likely to take a decision based purely on cost. And GOL almost invariably comes out cheaper domestically (they are also a significantly worse airline than TAM) - last time I was looking at flights GOL was about 40% of the price of TAM for same day/approx time. I mean, Azul bus people from downtown Sao Paulo to VCP - something that could conceivably take several hours if the traffic is bad - why would you do that other than for a cheaper fare? (Assuming it's a destination served from CGH/GRU). TAM's domestic service I don't actually think is bad - I've certainly had far worse from BA in terms of cabin crew/catering/on time performance - but I don't honestly think the international hard product is up to much, certainly not on the A330s/old config 77Ws - and nowhere near a patch on LAN's 763s.

We can agree to disagree, but you cant just dismiss GOL and Azul as your "LCC nextdoor".

Azul planes are fitted with great IFE on all routes. VCP may not be glamorous, but it is a great way to bypass CGH and tap into a very wealthy and industrial area of Brazil and have a strategic hub.

Azul CEO, is a Brazilian national who helped manage the like of Southwest, WestJet and JetBlue, so it is fair to assume he knows what he is doing.

GOL is the Alaskan Air of the south equator - no coincidence DL has bought a stake! Great branding, great corporate culture, and lots of growth prospect.

bunumuring

Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:10 am

Hi all.
I am sad that it appears that LAN branding will disappear. To me, over the other side of the Pacific Ocean, it was perfect branding with history and the ability to meld to the various separate national subsidies (LAN Peru, LAN Argentina etc)
I understand the Brazilian reluctance to go 'LAN Brasil' for TAM, but it would have been so easy and clean to help boost the conglomerate's global presence.
Maybe they should go for something like 'Condor' (whoops, all my German friends just choked) or some other prominent South American bird... Toucan? Just please not something like 'Piranha'... That can be the LCC arm of the conglomerate, lol.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

airbazar

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:41 pm

Quoting PM (Reply 23):

I think a convincing argument could be advanced that a prickly nationalism is more likely to exist in a small country like, oh, Belgium rather than a large one like, oh, Brazil.

You obviously don't know Brazil. Brazilians are hugely nationalistic, very proud of their country and heritage, more so than just about any other nation that I know. The difference between them and other nationalistic nations is that they are the nice kind of nationalists, the kind that doesn't lead to imperialistic behavior and war. They'd rather focus their nationalistic pride on samba, futebol and vatapa' 

Having said that, I don't think nationalism will have or has a significant effect on air travel. Like in every other country, service and price and ultimately management, will dictate the success of the airline. You could paint the planes green, yellow, and blue, and put Pele's face on the tail, but if the service is absolute crap, no Brazilian will want to fly in it. The fact that the airline is not wholly Brazilian will be an added challenge for management, no doubt, but if they put forth a good product then people will fly with them.

Quoting C010T3 (Reply 44):
LATAM sounds like latão ("big tin can") in Portuguese, so, if the brand is used, it will forever be mocked among Brazilians.

Brazil might have 200 million people but it's an economy in recession, interest rates are in double figures and how many of those people earning a salario minimo of US$400 a month can afford to fly? That does not compare well with Europe, with a much higher average income and much lower income inequality.

There's always the fact that most of the population is concentrated in a few very densely populated regions in the east coast.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ilian_states_by_population_density
The reason airlines like TAM don't cover these other regions is very much because there's no one there, sort of speak  

AwysBSB

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:56 pm

What a huge change they are going to make.
Personally I will not miss at all the name TAM and Brazilians in general will welcome a name that means Latin American.
Cannot wait to see the LATAM they will show us!

MaverickM11

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:00 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 38):
That's only jetstar Japan. And it would've failed even if it were granted HND access when you go against ANA and JAL.

JL/NH have a total duopoly in the domestic market, particularly in slot controlled airports. Combined they have north of an 80% share of the market, whilst running 60% LF consistently--there is *plenty* of room for competition. Again, none of these LCCs had/have trouble attracting pax b/c of their ownership structure--many have yet to see the light of day because of any number of other issues. People don't even know enough to buy based on aircraft type or IFE, let alone something as obscure as ownership. The notion is ridiculous.

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 38):
But the weird thing is that LAN is trying to make BSB their new #2 hub even though GIG metro has 2.7x the GDP of DF/BSB

They're going after BSB, Azul is not very big in GIG/SDU either, and JJ is focused (rightly so) on GRU... The market has spoken.

Quoting rg787 (Reply 48):
TAM positions itself above those two but their service is nowhere as good as Azul's inside Brazil and I don't even need to comment on it when going international, so they are really a medium airline trying to sell itself as premium,

Sounds like just about every EU carrier  

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 50):
Azul planes are fitted with great IFE on all routes. VCP may not be glamorous, but it is a great way to bypass CGH and tap into a very wealthy and industrial area of Brazil and have a strategic hub.

It's a clone of B6, and will run into the same issues as B6. All that IFE and nice service from a secondary airport doesn't drive revenue premiums, and it gets increasingly difficult to maintain a major unit cost advantage.
I don't take responsibility at all

SCQ83

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:22 pm

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 37):
LATAM certainly seems to work well in English.... I have no idea how it works in Portuguese or Spanish though. Would any mother tongue speakers care to comment on whether it would be anything more or less than a meaningless sound in either language ?

I am not sure about the LATAM name.

In this time and age, long acronyms seem to be out of fashion. They belong more to the 60-70s where companies just sold products and not "lifestyles" or "experiences". Names like Azul or Avianca (even if Avianca is partially an acronym) seem more appealing and contemporary.

LatAm is largely an acronym used largely only in Anglosaxon countries for Latin America. Naming companies with English-like names seems as well out of fashion and even colonialist in this time of "global-local". "Azul" is "Azul", and not "Blue" (even if they are pretty much jetBlue Brazil). Avianca sounds like a Spanish typical spelling.

I reckon they will find something that resonates well in Spanish and Portuguese, and it is easy to understand in English or other languages.

mozart

Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:58 pm

Can someone say a little more about what TAM has done/ended to do at GIG? And how about SDU, have they also reduced their presence at SDU?

Alias1024

Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:24 pm

Quoting C010T3 (Reply 44):
LATAM sounds like latão ("big tin can") in Portuguese, so, if the brand is used, it will forever be mocked among Brazilians.

Then it's actually kinda fitting. I've heard more than one person describe an airplane as a tin can with wings.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

DocLightning

Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:18 pm

How about "MERIDIA"?

It should work and be inoffensive in both Spanish and Portugese.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

rg787

Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:26 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 58):

How about "MERIDIA"?

It should work and be inoffensive in both Spanish and Portugese.

Sounds a lot like 'merda' or 'mierda'... For me, anyway lol

VCEflyboy

Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:44 pm

Personally, I think the cultural elements for visuals and branding should be found not in post-colonial culture, but in pre-colonial indigenous cultures. That would unify both Brazilian and spanish-speaking cultures and be sophisticated and a little exotic.

PPVRA

Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Something related to the southern cross would be very appropriate, but then which language to use....

I checked the names of each star that makes up the southern cross. Most are latin names which no one recognizes, except for Mimosa, which works in both Portuguese and Spanish, but is a great name for a cow, not an airline. . .

[Edited 2014-11-01 14:15:05]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

C010T3

Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:28 pm

Quoting mozart (Reply 56):
Can someone say a little more about what TAM has done/ended to do at GIG? And how about SDU, have they also reduced their presence at SDU?

TAM slashed all European flights at GIG (FRA, LHR and CDG), but kept JFK and MIA. MCO was also cancelled, but the fact that TAM is supposedly launching BSB-MCO goes to show that GIG was not the issue. GIG is a stronger market, no doubt.

When it comes to the domestic market, TAM did not grow at either GIG or SDU. When the market was liberalized at SDU, TAM moved frequencies from GIG, which was the beginning of the end of the domestic hub at GIG. The airport evolved to a large focus city with connections to international flights.

TAM was not able to secure its place in the market. LH, BA, AZ, KL and EK came and took TAM out of business. Just for you to have an idea, LH launched 5x weekly A343 flights back in W11, increased frequency really fast, changed schedule from immediate turnaround to double overnight, upgraded the route to 744 in S14 and is now upgrading the route to 748 in W15.

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 60):
but in pre-colonial indigenous cultures.

There is no indigenous self-identification in Brazil. If the person did not directly originate from a tribe, Amerindian roots are lost. It's something really distant from the overwhelming majority of the population. The African heritage is much more present.
The fact that Brazil does not deal appropriately with the Amerindian heritage lies on the fact that the dominant mentality here is that Indians must remain isolated in remote areas where their culture can be preserved.

DocLightning

Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:06 pm

Quoting rg787 (Reply 59):
Sounds a lot like 'merda' or 'mierda'... For me, anyway lol

Not to me, and I am Spanish-speaking from birth. It's a pretty far reach. Yes, you could push it that way, but if the company offers a quality and reliable service, then it won't go that way.

Look at the US airline names. "Untied," "Northworst," "US Scareways." These airlines all earned these nicknames because they offered an inferior product and service.

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 61):
I checked the names of each star that makes up the southern cross. Most are latin names which no one recognizes, except for Mimosa, which works in both Portuguese and Spanish, but is a great name for a cow, not an airline. . .

Alpha and Beta Centauri also are pointer stars. "Centauri" would be a cool name for an airline. But that evokes Greece more than it does South America.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

aerorobnz

Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:23 pm

In jest, to fit the acronyms not the other way around..

Comercial United Nacional do Transporte
I didn't have the linguistic skill to work beyond
Linhas Aerias Brazil .I.A (please help fill the gaps)
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

kiwiandrew

Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:55 pm

I'm not so sure about the southern cross. For one thing, don't forget this is an airline which also has bases in Ecuador and Colombia, how is that emblem relevant for those countries? Also, the southern cross is 'claimed' by many southern hemisphere countries....it's not exclusive to south american countries.

LipeGIG

Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:45 am

I will wait and see what sort of brand they will use to replace TAM but it doesn't matter! TAM product and image is not that great, even among people in their base city.
In Rio... even worse.

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 5):

brasil is not some small nation that doesn't make much sense runner their own carrier ... they most certainly deserve a carrier that with the nation's best interests in mind. their complete surrender of GIG is already a clear testament that they only care about delivering profits back to Santiago instead of providing a service for residents and visitors of Rio

No, no it's not. GIG was cannibalising GRU and destroying yield at the same time. Why would you as a Paulistano take a direct flight from GRU say to LHR when you could take a 52 minute flight to GIG, make a connection to London and save yourself half the cost? I looked at prices often enough when I lived in Sao Paulo - and via Rio connections to anywhere were consistently staggeringly cheaper than direct from GRU.

That's wrong view.
Any major city in the world offer the same type of advantage if you look for a one-stop flight. It is always cheap the option for me to do NYC-MIA-GIG compared to NYC-GIG non-stop.

To show how perfect was the decision :

Two years ago TAM operated FRA on a daily basis (332) while LH run it on A343.
TAM decided to drop GIG-FRA , but remain with a single B77W as usual
Now LH decided to use their B74H to fly FRA-GIG

TAM use to fly CDG 3x daily (2x GRU, 1x GIG)
Now they fly GRU-CDG with a daily B77W as usual
And AF is about to change the plane for Rio...

By the way - TAM continue on Red..... don't blame on Rio !

Economy is not perfect - Aviation economics is far from being perfect. You cut, others come.
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

AwysBSB

Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:59 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 65):

Peherps PPVRA, the same way of me, wishes to see the name 'Cruzeiro' back to Brazilian market.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 36):
I just hope that the resulting livery looks more like LAN's and less like TAM's.

Maybe the resulting livery is going to be more red than blue, closer to the livery Lan Chile used to have. The Russian carrier Nordwind Airlines helps LATAM to create its future livery:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Wim Callaert

hloutweg

Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:43 am

Quoting airbazar (Reply 9):

Not quite. A national carrier was more of a state run airline. And nowadays the national carrier (such as Etihad or VARIG, doesn't or didn't carry the name of the nation). Azul like TAM, aren't national carriers even if one of them is fully owned by Brazilians.

Another point is, airlines now want to appeal to a broader public and do not favor marketing on nazionalistic sentiments. If you see airlines keeping names with reference to their countries is in great part of the company's heritage and well historically stablished brand.

Having said that, I would not be opposed to the complete rebranding of the airline letting LAN go along with TAM.
In Varietate Concordia

hloutweg

Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:09 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 36):

LATAM, LAN and TAM don't work simply because they're acronyms. And acronym rarely sings of friendship to people. And to make it more "acceptable" and "understandable" always has to be followed by a word. In branding this isn't very good despite of some out there that are famous, and more than anything loved for their long heritage.

What LATAM needs to do is to recreate itself, and improve other things along with the name; this name which should better be a one word that could be followed in their literature by the word "airlines".
In Varietate Concordia

andrefranca

Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:09 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 1):
I guess they're afraid the Brazillians would abandon them for Azul/Gol/Avianca if they ever call it "LAN Brasil"

problem is that most of them will have a clear mind and realize that their national carrier is now controlled by Chile behind the scenes

We already have, since 2012 we're calling it chilean airlines? a friend of mine who happens to be FA there is telling me they're under pressure to learn spanish, he even created a whatsapp group "se habla espanol" between us to talk only in spanish!!!

Quoting A388 (Reply 3):
Wow, I didn't see this coming because I thaught that the LAN brand was a strong brand but apparently it may well not be the case? Why fix it, when it ain't broke?

It got a negative feeling down here!

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 5):
why do you think Azul is so hot lately ? the locals are migrating to the carrier that truly represents their nation.

Not only because they proud themselves to be brazilian but they deliver great service, but they are rip off!

Quoting pierrelav (Reply 13):
They can call it LATA " tin can" as far as I am concerned. Their service, especially TAM' s is appalling.

Or LATÃO (cheap tin can) LMFAO!

BlueShamu330s

Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:22 pm

Just call the damn thing South American

or Pan South American

Abbreviate it to PSA

Put a smile under the flight deck windows.

I think I have a winner.....   
Flying around India

MaverickM11

Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:40 pm

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 66):
Now LH decided to use their B74H to fly FRA-GIG
Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 66):
And AF is about to change the plane for Rio...

AF and LH have huge hubs on the other end to fill up their planes. JJ in GIG has next to nothing.

C010T3

Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:01 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 72):

AF and LH have huge hubs on the other end to fill up their planes. JJ in GIG has next to nothing.

Last time I checked, JJ at GIG recorded 70% of amount of domestic flights it offers at GRU, so it's really something.

VC10er

Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:51 am

Quoting hloutweg (Reply 69):

I'm in branding and work for a company that names new corporations, products and services. NEW names happen most often in M&A's or start ups. Problem is legal more that creative. A name, any name, a real word, a coined word or acronym, if new are empty of meaning until the company's brand behaviors fill it with meaning. Azul just means "Blue" in Portuguese, it's a great brand so Azul IS BECOMING a name with far more meaning than blue. An acronym can be just fine: Lufthansa, Qantas, KLM etc. In the same region VARIG was once upon a time the strongest brand name in Brazil.

Who would have thought Virgin would be a great name for an airline? BUT Sir Richard made sure it was a great name.

CNN, ABC, BBC, MADD, NASA, BOAC...Landor changed Federal Express to FedEx. Changed the meaning of BP from British Petroleum to "Beyond Petroleum" as its brand positioning changed.

It's not so much the name, as much as it is the BRAND itself. I agree if it's a nice name, it's a nice start.

LATAM may be a good name for what will be a MAJOR airline, while Azul attacks as the "Virgin-like" heal biter!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

airbazar

Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:48 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 63):

Not to me, and I am Spanish-speaking from birth. It's a pretty far reach. Yes, you could push it that way, but if the company offers a quality and reliable service, then it won't go that way.

Maybe it's different in Spanish. I'm a native Portuguese speaker and 'Merda' was the first word that popped into my head, immediately 

MaverickM11

Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:05 pm

Quoting C010T3 (Reply 73):
Last time I checked, JJ at GIG recorded 70% of amount of domestic flights it offers at GRU, so it's really something.

They have about 60 daily departures to 25 destinations. That's nothing by comparison to the EU hubs.

bogota

Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:01 pm

I would simply call it SUD (spelled sood in English).

C010T3

Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:18 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 76):
They have about 60 daily departures to 25 destinations. That's nothing by comparison to the EU hubs.

In comparison to Europe it is, but pretty decent for Brazil. There are very few destinations that are flown from GRU, but not from GIG. That's why the hub size is not the issue with JJ at GIG. It was a choice.

MaverickM11

Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:50 pm

Quoting C010T3 (Reply 78):
In comparison to Europe it is, but pretty decent for Brazil. There are very few destinations that are flown from GRU, but not from GIG. That's why the hub size is not the issue with JJ at GIG. It was a choice.

GRU has almost double the destinations and departures of GIG on JJ, never mind the market size is 2-4+x as big. Of course it was a choice, but it's a smart one that airlines around the world have been making. It's the same reason you don't see BA longhaul out of MAN or AF out of NCE...

C010T3

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:55 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 79):
GRU has almost double the destinations and departures of GIG on JJ, never mind the market size is 2-4+x as big. Of course it was a choice, but it's a smart one that airlines around the world have been making. It's the same reason you don't see BA longhaul out of MAN or AF out of NCE...

But you do see LH out of MUC. LAN has multiple longhaul bases. GIG continues to be one of them with daily flights to both MIA and JFK.
Foreign airlines have introduced twice the capacity or more of what has been pulled by TAM on the GIG-Europe routes. Pardon me if I see the fact that TAM gave up the market for the competition. While the market visibly grows, TAM has been shrinking.
Don't get me wrong, I am personally satisfied that the TAM reductions became an invitation to various foreign airlines to serve GIG, since they offer better service, but it is clear that LATAM is what is driving Azul to go longhaul, considering that they are seeing how the market share of foreign airlines keeps increasing without any reaction from TAM.

WorldspotterPL

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:59 pm

Quoting VC10er (Reply 74):
An acronym can be just fine: Lufthansa, Qantas, KLM etc.

While you are generally right, Lufthansa is not an acronym.

VCPJetter

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:22 pm

I'm very curious about names and colours. I think also that there has to be a push for a common corporate culture and a clear market positioning. In my view both products are not convincing. Not comparable to premium products from Europe or Asia, neither a local cost advantage. Nationalism, if there was any, is finally lost and won't come back.
The great connectivity for South America will only be perceived with a clearly unified brand. Nowadays, concerning customers perception, they are still switching airlines. So, no advantage over switching to any other, like Azul, Gol, Aerolineas, Avianca, etc.
The loss of the Star Alliance membership by TAM might also have generated a migration to other carriers. Locally, Tam loses in price to Gol and service and network to Azul.
I myself moved away from TAM since the only advantage for me was the Star Alliance mileage.
They will have a tough time in becoming a great brand and show their value.

jfk777

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:34 pm

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 37):
LATAM certainly seems to work well in English.... I have no idea how it works in Portuguese or Spanish though. Would any mother tongue speakers care to comment on whether it would be anything more or less than a meaningless sound in either language ?Moderation in all things ... including moderation  

LAN Airways ansd Latin American Airways don't sound the same. IF LAN wants to be world class airline they should stay away from a long name and not have " Latin America" in their name, "LAN" is far better as a name.

VC10er

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:47 pm

Quoting WorldspotterPL (Reply 81):

I stand corrected, but it is ONE name made out of Luft and Hansa? right?

As if there were an airline called Airsouth in the USA? isn't Hansa a region?

the R I G in VARIG was for Rio Grandense (pardon my Portuguese!) or Southern Brazil?

and for whatever it's worth...I love the name Lufthansa. I love to say it.  
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Airdolomiti

Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:27 am

Quoting VC10er (Reply 84):
I stand corrected, but it is ONE name made out of Luft and Hansa? right?

As if there were an airline called Airsouth in the USA? isn't Hansa a region?

In the Middle Ages, the Hansa (also Hanse, or Hanseatic League) was a confederation of trade guilds spanning much of Northern Europe, including a good part of Germany. My understanding is that it was more of a commercial and, to an extent, political entity than it was a geographical region.

The original "Deutsche Luft Hansa AG", which the current one is no direct successor of, was founded in 1926 as a result of the merger between Deutsche Aero-Lloyd AG and Junkers Luftverkehr AG. This was likely seen as an alliance of sorts, much like the Hansa of old consolidated the interests of merchants from the cities that took part in it.

"Luft", on the other hand, simply means "air". "Lufthansa" is a compound word formed according to German grammar rules  

AwysBSB

Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:20 am

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 70):
Or LATÃO (cheap tin can) LMFAO!

'Latão' in Portuguese means 'brass' too.

Quoting VCPJetter (Reply 82):
I'm very curious about names and colours

Getting rid of blue and making red their main colour is the best thing they could do. Red is the colour of Latin America, is on most of the countries' flags, is the main colour of TAM and used to be main colour of Lan Chile. They have developed a lot their identity with that colour in the markets they play. They should not miss this opportunity for strengthening that identity.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mark Kwiatkowski

If they take the livery of Virgin Atlantic, but with a lighter metallic red and switch logos and name, they would obtain their best livery ever.

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 83):
IF LAN wants to be world class airline they should stay away from a long name and not have " Latin America" in their name, "LAN" is far better as a name.

It currently has a long name, given that LAN is the acronym for Latin American Network. It will not be so challenging the change of that acronym to Lat Am.

incitatus

Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:05 am

I think they are going to call it Volans, which is one of the Southern constellations.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

leonardoq

Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:19 am

Quoting incitatus (Reply 87):
It currently has a long name, given that LAN is the acronym for Latin American Network

Deep inside everyone knows that LAN really stands for "Linea Aerea Nacional" - de Chile. As they moved toward expansion to other Latin American neighbouring countries they felt that they had to drop Chile from its name in order to standardize the brand. But everyone still calls them LAN Chile (as for the Chilean arm of the company), LAN Argentina, for the Argentinian subsidiary, LAN Ecuador and so on...
JJ, G3, QF, DJ, TG, LA, AR, EY, EK, LH, JQ, VY, TP, TZ, TR, AA

OP3000
Topic Author

Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:53 am

Quoting AwysBSB (Reply 86):
Getting rid of blue and making red their main colour is the best thing they could do. Red is the colour of Latin America, is on most of the countries' flags, is the main colour of TAM and used to be main colour of Lan Chile. They have developed a lot their identity with that colour in the markets they play. They should not miss this opportunity for strengthening that identity.

Only problem with the red & white is that Avianca (the other major regional and local competitor in certain markets like Peru and Colombia) also has the same color combination.

My bet is that for the livery they will go with red, blue and grey (like the new interior color scheme launched earlier in the year) and already on certain aircraft:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...eveals-new-cabin-interiors-397527/

Come to think about it those three colors would be somewhat like the new AA livery color combination, albeit with different shades of red and blue.

leonardoq

Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:11 am

Quoting OP3000 (Reply 89):
My bet is that for the livery they will go with red, blue and gre

Red and blue are the Chilean flag's colours anyway...
JJ, G3, QF, DJ, TG, LA, AR, EY, EK, LH, JQ, VY, TP, TZ, TR, AA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos