frostyj

RE: Official: AA MIA-FRA, JFK-BHX, JFK-EDI

Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:51 am

The United 757's will all have wifi by this summer. The American airlines ones do not have wifi and have no plans to have wifi so the person who keeps saying this well you are wrong. Basically they have no form of entertainment on the plane.

I flew on continental when it just had the fold down TVs and it was awful. I could not hear the tv and had a creek on my neck watching the tv.. Awful
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

S75752

Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:28 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 95):
I expect inflight entertainment is close to the bottom of their list of priorities when booking.
Quoting OB1504 (Reply 98):
People will put up with the lack of a TV if it gets them there faster.

Yeah, unless they travel with children or find that the books don't entertain themselves as much as they thought they did in retrospect. Sure, people will simply buy whatever comes up at the top of the low fare list, but when they do end up on a flight with IFE they end up loving it much more.

Many of my family members and friends who I travel with from time to time have that same mindset of "Read or sleep" and always try to play the lower fare it-doesn't-matter card, but when I get them to simply take a slightly (key word: slightly) higher fare to get a flight with good amenities, they DO notice it and take advantage of it while they're on that flight, and they end up thanking me during and after the flight. They'll bring along their books and ipods but those will end up never even seeing the outside of bag once they are sat in front of the IFE. And when a flight has wifi and power, they'll thank me for getting them on that flight too, and they'll always say how convenient it is and how happy they are it finally has those features.

It's only after a few months that people I know will act like it didn't matter in retrospect. But going with only a book is just a recipe for degrading sanity. And the moment that ones laptop or tablet runs out of juice as it certainly will playing video + wifi on any long haul flight without power is a terrible time.

So I'd argue that the only time it doesn't matter is when it's a short flight, or when one isn't actually in the plane.

As for sleeping... Well all I can say is "Good luck with that". Especially on any US carrier.

Quoting PHX Flyer (Reply 96):
I for one hate the entertainment systems that require those big electrical boxes under the seat.

Bothersome yeah. But I think it'll become more of a non issue over time as the systems get so small, that there simply ends up being no box at all. I'm pretty sure that's how it is on the more recent IFE systems.

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 92):

I meant AC outlets. The 757 has regular AC outlets.

UA TATL 752's and 2-class 763's, yes.
AA and US 752's and 763's do not have AC outlets, and the DC outlets are scattered randomly about.

Armodeen

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:27 am

Where are they finding the 757s for the new UK routes from? Will MAN finally get a 767 to JFK? probably not :P

MAH4546

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:31 am

Quoting S75752 (Reply 102):
AA and US 752's and 763's do not have AC outlets, and the DC outlets are scattered randomly about.]

Wrong. AA 752s all have AC outlets with the exception of the handful (about 5-6) that don't have the new cabin. However, none of the trans-Atlantic 757s have the old cabin.

I totally get you can't stand AA, which is fine, but you need to get your facts straight.

[Edited 2014-11-02 03:33:03]
a.

panamair

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:35 am

Quoting Armodeen (Reply 103):
Where are they finding the 757s for the new UK routes from?

AA has been underutilizing their 75L (757s for transoceanic ops) fleet for transoceanic flights for a long time now. So many of them have ended up on domestic to date, so it should be no problem for a handful of new 757 international routes.

AA and US 752's and 763's do not have AC outlets,

The AA 752s refurbished for international (i.e., 75L fleet with 16 seats up front) definitely have AC outlets at least up front. So do the newly refurbished AA 763s with the updated 1-2-1 Business cabins

Armodeen

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:49 am

Quoting panamair (Reply 105):
AA and US 752's and 763's do not have AC outlets,

The AA 752s refurbished for international (i.e., 75L fleet with 16 seats up front) definitely have AC outlets at least up front. So do the newly refurbished AA 763s with the updated 1-2-1 Business cabins

Thanks for the info on the 757 availability, it wasn't me asking about the AC power though  

frostyj

Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:10 pm

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 104):

Nobody hates American Airlines we are just saying they really need to upgrade their game. All of these airports have airlines with much better offerings to NYC.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

HPRamper

Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:23 pm

Quoting S75752 (Reply 102):
It's only after a few months that people I know will act like it didn't matter in retrospect. But going with only a book is just a recipe for degrading sanity. And the moment that ones laptop or tablet runs out of juice as it certainly will playing video + wifi on any long haul flight without power is a terrible time.

Goodness, however did the airlines stay in business during the golden age of air travel...you know, long before any form of PTV or IFE let alone tablets, and when planes were slower and flight times longer...

I suppose everyone just ended up insane eh? Maybe it's the passengers who could learn to unplug for a few freaking hours without needing mindless media drivel shoveled down their throat. I've survived on countless flights long and short with no electronics...dear me how did I manage only looking out the window, enjoying the view, taking a nap or reading a book? In fact when I do have a PTV blaring in my face I turn it off, more often than not.

S75752

Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:29 pm

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 104):

Wrong. AA 752s all have AC outlets with the exception of the handful (about 5-6) that don't have the new cabin. However, none of the trans-Atlantic 757s have the old cabin.

Looks like they did change it to AC after all, interesting.

That said, their website shows that besides a few rows in the front of Y, it is still scattered about the other Y cabin seats every 2-3 rows or so.

Regardless, lack of a power plug at your seat is still not going to cut it for a TATL with streaming video. Same issue with UA's 744's. To a lesser degree, Transcons as well.

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 108):
I suppose everyone just ended up insane eh? Maybe it's the passengers who could learn to unplug for a few freaking hours without needing mindless media drivel shoveled down their throat. I've survived on countless flights long and short with no electronics...dear me how did I manage only looking out the window, enjoying the view, taking a nap or reading a book? In fact when I do have a PTV blaring in my face I turn it off, more often than not.

Okay. I'll wait for that to come up again in a more relevant thread to give a long winded response, I don't want to derail this thread any further than I already may have.

I'll just say this: Nobody is stopping YOU from reading. And I do read books as well, they're fun. But let's just say that an aircraft isn't exactly an ideal place for that, perhaps even worse nowadays than it was "back then" with how cramped it's become forward and to either side. Oh, and that window seat on a long haul, 1 in 3 chance at best, 1 in 4.5 chance on average, 1 in 5 chance at worst. I always select it, can't say the same for anyone who books through other means.

[Edited 2014-11-02 04:59:50]

Thomaas

Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:35 pm

Quoting PHX Flyer (Reply 96):
I for one hate the entertainment systems that require those big electrical boxes under the seat. Personally, I would prefer having unrestricted leg room, and I would be happy to load a couple of movies on my iPad instead, before boarding a 7hr flight.

Electronics don't last an entire flight when you use them. You're lucky if you get through half the flight watching a movie on an iPad. AAs 757s and 767s might have all the bells and whistles in Business class, but Y passengers are left WITHOUT power outlets and PTVs. Passengers might be price sensitive but they sure won't hesitate to complain to their friends and family about the horrible flight with no power or entertainment with the screaming babies.

Quoting PietPiloot (Reply 100):
If I were AA, I would be looking into a MIA-AMS service. It still is a big gap, KLM/NW tried it twice without succes, but unlike KLM/DL, AA has a big advantage having numerous connections out of Miami to the America's. A daily B767 must work out fine. A lot has been written about this subject, but it still remains strange that one of the biggest airports in Europe doesn't have a regular service to Miami, while the other big European hubs have multiple daily flights, some even operated by A380's. Now that AMS becomes an online station (with US flying to AMS), it should be pretty easy to give it a try for them.

AMS is a weak destination in AAs network. PMAA didn't even fly there and US only from PHL. I would see JFK or ORD before MIA especially because of connecting traffic. KLM failed in MIA I doubt AA would have anymore success. You have to remember that KLM can offer a lot more connection on the route than AA ever can dream of, they can fly you anywhere to Europe, Middle East and Asia through AMS while AA is limited to Latin America and the Southeast. KL has a lot of non-stops to Latin and South America that cover most large markets non-stop for AMS which means AA will also have to compete with direct flights from KL to make connections work.

commavia
Topic Author

Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:46 pm

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 107):
American Airlines we are just saying they really need to upgrade their game. All of these airports have airlines with much better offerings to NYC.

Meh. AA arguably has the most experience flying inferior Y (and in some cases, J) products across the Atlantic of any carrier (the only other contender, ironically, is probably USAirways). So clearly AA knows what impact an inferior Y product has on traffic and yields. Clearly AA has concluded that these markets are worth a shot despite the inferior Y product compared to certain competitors in certain markets.

Quoting Thomaas (Reply 110):
AAs 757s and 767s might have all the bells and whistles in Business class, but Y passengers are left WITHOUT power outlets and PTVs. Passengers might be price sensitive but they sure won't hesitate to complain to their friends and family about the horrible flight with no power or entertainment with the screaming babies.

Again - as others have said, airlines - including, not limited to, AA - simply care less about Y and in recent years have become, in general, far more focused on "all the bells and whistles in Business class" because that is the segment where product differentiation seems to have a disproportionate impact on traffic and yields. I agree with others that, in many cases, Y passengers simply book the cheapest flight, regardless of the presence or absence of outlets, PTVs, wifi, etc., and regardless of complaints from friends and family.

AMS is a weak destination in AAs network. PMAA didn't even fly there and US only from PHL.

It's a far smaller market than LON, PAR or FRA, and it is absolutely dominated by the KLM/Delta JV. In that context, I don't think it's all that surprising that AMS has never been a major focus for AA. AA last flew its own aircraft to AMS on a scheduled basis in 1950 (through its American Overseas Airlines subsidiary), and came close to launching ORD-AMS with a 762 in 1999. Going forward, I think a daily 757 to PHL makes sense, as it allows AA (and the oneworld JV) to maintain a scheduled presence in the nonstop AMS-U.S. market, offers ample connectivity beyond PHL to just about every major O&D market of consequence in North America, and gives AA some limited amount of "protection" in the sense that while AMS-PHL in and of itself is obviously a far smaller local market than, say, AMS-NYC, AMS-WAS, AMS-CHI, etc., but it also has zero nonstop competition.

I would see JFK or ORD before MIA especially because of connecting traffic.

Those are both far larger markets and both do offer somewhat different convenient connections than MIA, but then both of those are also extremely competitive markets with two competitors each, whereas MIA is a not-insignificant local market with far less intense competition.

KLM failed in MIA I doubt AA would have anymore success. You have to remember that KLM can offer a lot more connection on the route than AA ever can dream of, they can fly you anywhere to Europe, Middle East and Asia through AMS while AA is limited to Latin America and the Southeast.

Not sure. I agree MIA-AMS for AA is highly unlikely, although I disagree that the experience of KLM in that market necessarily tells us all that much about how AA might hypothetically perform. The each have different strengths to play to.

by738

Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:01 pm

I still seem to be able to book PHL-EDI, is it just that its not officially been dropped ?

Miami

Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:40 pm

If I were AA, I would be looking into a MIA-AMS service.

It still is a big gap

AA has a big advantage having numerous connections out of Miami to the America's

still remains strange that one of the biggest airports in Europe doesn't have a regular service to Miami

Well, ArkeFly does have flights from AMS to MIA. But there service is nothing compared to KLM or AA.

I'd like the idea of AA to start MIA-AMS. I'm not saying it should happen right away. But it's a route that would do good, maybe not great but good. Even if they plan to announce it within 5 years.

I'm not a fan at all of ArkeFly's stopping point at Orlando to reach MIA. It's quite a hassle.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

miaami

Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:42 pm

Where are they finding the 757s for the new UK routes from? Will MAN finally get a 767 to JFK? probably not :P

Yes, JFK-MAN upgauges to 767 on 28MAR15.

PHX Flyer

Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:13 pm

AA has a big advantage having numerous connections out of Miami to the America's.

I doubt that this is a "big advantage", because MIA is not designed as an international transit hub. My guess is that 99% of Europenas would rather take a direct flight to Latin America or the Caribbean, because it saves time and to spare themselves the lengthy U.S. immigration procedures, which are still required even for passengers just making an international connection.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes forever skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." -Leonardo Da Vinci

Miami

Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:26 pm

Quoting PHX Flyer (Reply 115):
MIA is not designed as an international transit hub

You'd think that but can some carriers (Not just European) actually reach Latin America?

Quoting PHX Flyer (Reply 115):
My guess is that 99% of Europeans would rather take a direct flight to Latin America or the Caribbean

You're so wrong.   
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

PHX Flyer

Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:30 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 116):
You're so wrong.

Care to elaborate?
"Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes forever skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." -Leonardo Da Vinci

Boeing74741R

Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:07 pm

Quoting LONGisland89 (Reply 33):

Yes they did. It was only for winter 2004 and then axed. Can't remember whether it was weak demand or for a cruise contract.

If Thomas Cook can make it work with fully O&D tourist traffic, then AA could also make it work if it connects into various flights out of MIA.

Quoting miaami (Reply 114):

Will MAN-ORD also upgauge back to a 763 for the summer? If so, it'll be interesting to see how they manage to fit 2x 763s, the PHL A330 and a 752 from CLT into T3 at MAN, It isn't that well catered towards having large numbers of widebodies and 757s on stand at the same time. If I remember rightly, the PHL A330 flight takes up 2 stands since US moved from T2 to be with AA in T3 pre-merger.

MAH4546

Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:29 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 111):
Those are both far larger markets and both do offer somewhat different convenient connections than MIA, but then both of those are also extremely competitive markets with two competitors each, whereas MIA is a not-insignificant local market with far less intense competition.

MIAAMS local market is about 25% larger than CHIAMS.
a.

miaintl

Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:08 pm

How big is the MIA-ZRH market? I wonder if AA can fly there from MIA.

David_itl

Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:19 pm

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 118):
It was only for winter 2004 and then axed

Winter 2004 = daily and Winter 2005 = 3 weekly

and a 752 from CLT into T3 at MAN

That route's been chopped.

Will MAN-ORD also upgauge back to a 763 for the summer?

It will do.

[Edited 2014-11-02 10:24:08]

runway23

Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:39 pm

Quoting miaintl (Reply 120):
How big is the MIA-ZRH market? I wonder if AA can fly there from MIA.

The low hanging fruit for AA in MIA is GVA, has just about the same yield as ZRH but is currently not served.

MesaFlyGuy

Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:11 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 116):

Friendly tip; when you think somebody is wrong, tell them why or show them what is correct instead of rudely laughing at them.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

Armodeen

Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:49 pm

Will MAN-ORD also upgauge back to a 763 for the summer? If so, it'll be interesting to see how they manage to fit 2x 763s, the PHL A330 and a 752 from CLT into T3 at MAN, It isn't that well catered towards having large numbers of widebodies and 757s on stand at the same time. If I remember rightly, the PHL A330 flight takes up 2 stands since US moved from T2 to be with AA in T3 pre-merger.

I think CLT is dropped next year, however the B763s to ORD (I know thats normal in the summer) and JFK + keeping the A330 to PHL is good news overall...it could of been much worse for MAN.

Miami

Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:54 pm

How big is the MIA-ZRH market?

One of the biggest European markets to/from MIA

I wonder if AA can fly there from MIA.

I like the idea. But I'm not so sure.

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 123):
Fri

Oh come on, mate. Wasn't being rude. It's all out of fun.

tommy767

Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:28 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 111):
Meh. AA arguably has the most experience flying inferior Y (and in some cases, J) products across the Atlantic of any carrier (the only other contender, ironically, is probably USAirways). So clearly AA knows what impact an inferior Y product has on traffic and yields. Clearly AA has concluded that these markets are worth a shot despite the inferior Y product compared to certain competitors in certain markets.

Actually the new AA 773, 738, and A321 interiors are some of the most cutting edge in the industry if you ask me.

The sAA 757 from a J class perspective is actually probably better than UA from a soft product quality -- food & service wise. UA has the flatbed seat but with high utilization the interiors are getting pretty dinged up. AA doesn't have the AVOD in Y but to the UK from JFK it's not as horrible as flying say TXL-EWR where it's over 9 hours and can risk a fuel stop.

People whining about the connections at JFK -- I'd happily take T8 over Terminal C any day of the week.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

commavia
Topic Author

Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:44 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 126):
Actually the new AA 773, 738, and A321 interiors are some of the most cutting edge in the industry if you ask me.

Couldn't agree more - having flown multiple times on these aircraft, I completely concur that all three are as good if not better than just about any comparable aircraft/product being flown in their respective categories by U.S. (and even many non-U.S.) carriers. Nonetheless, AA has for years also been flying lots and lots of 767s across the Atlantic that have an inferior J and vastly inferior Y product to some competitors.

The sAA 757 from a J class perspective is actually probably better than UA from a soft product quality -- food & service wise.

Again - agree. Having flown premium longhaul on both AA and United, my personal experience is that in general, AA wins hands-down in most categories.

People whining about the connections at JFK -- I'd happily take T8 over Terminal C any day of the week.

AA's terminal at JFK is excellent - easily one of the nicest gateways in the U.S., in my opinion. Now, sure, is JFK - as an airport, in general - congested and more delay-prone than the nation's air transportation system overall? Sure. But, to your point, please find me an airport in the northeastern U.S. that isn't.

frostyj

Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:45 pm

The interiors are not dinged up. They look new.

tommy767

Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:53 pm

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 128):

They were new 5 years ago, but the product as aged considerably. With high utilization and little down time, the interiors are worn. Especially from the whole ceiling panel/sidewalls/lighting perspective.

Quoting commavia (Reply 127):
A's terminal at JFK is excellent - easily one of the nicest gateways in the U.S., in my opinion. Now, sure, is JFK - as an airport, in general - congested and more delay-prone than the nation's air transportation system overall? Sure. But, to your point, please find me an airport in the northeastern U.S. that isn't.

I think at this point EWR has more delay issues than JFK. It is ranked #2 in the US for worst delays. JFK has more runways and that means less holds. Every time I fly into EWR there is always an issue whereas it's almost always smoother at JFK. Yes you have access to more cities via EWR, but the experience is guaranteed to be more of a pain in the ass than T8 could ever be.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

MAH4546

Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:06 pm

Quoting by738 (Reply 112):
I still seem to be able to book PHL-EDI, is it just that its not officially been dropped ?

You can still book PHLEDI; but you cannot book JFKEDI. That'll be fixed soon enough.
a.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:33 pm

T8 is excellent. Very smooth operation and very user friendly from my experiences. Tons of seats, wide walkways, good overall experience.

T8 is on my favorite places, really nice facility.

MesaFlyGuy

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:01 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 131):
T8 is excellent. Very smooth operation and very user friendly from my experiences. Tons of seats, wide walkways, good overall experience.

Indeed; it is one of the most airy terminals I've ever been in.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

AA767400

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:11 pm

Quoting S75752 (Reply 109):
That said, their website shows that besides a few rows in the front of Y, it is still scattered about the other Y cabin seats every 2-3 rows or so.
AAs 757s and 767s might have all the bells and whistles in Business class, but Y passengers are left WITHOUT power outlets and PTVs.

Gentlemen - as has been stated countless times here, AA's TransAtlantic 757s have regular AC power outlets, in EVERY row in Y. You're confusing their older domestic frames, which are far, and few between. Most domestic frames have AC outlets as well.

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 107):
Nobody hates American Airlines we are just saying they really need to upgrade their game. All of these airports have airlines with much better offerings to NYC.

You have gone on and on, about how AA has an inferior product than UA. Yes, UA has a better 757 Y product than AA. Why? Simply because they have AVOD, and AA doesn't. WE GET IT. Since you know this - stay on UA. Save yourself the agony of flying on AA in Y.

Stop derailing the thread with this obsession with PTVs in Y! Good lord!
"The low fares airline."

SJOtoLIR

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:27 pm

Quoting commavia (Thread starter):
MIA-FRA (starting 14 May)
> Return of route which hasn't operated since 1997

Excerpt of the extinct schedule from 1997.
More than 15 years ago, the 763 was also active in such route:

AA 148.......MIA 19:10..........FRA 10:35+1...........Daily............763
AA 149.......FRA 10:25.........MIA 15:20................Daily............763

Source: American Airlines. Wide-world timetable, 1997.

Quoting reifel (Reply 37):
I would be wondering how big is the O&D market between MIA and FRA.

The utilization of the 388 on FRA-MIA gives us a notion about how big is that O&D market.
The 744 was also deployed in the past.
The number of weekly available seats on FRA-MIA has traditionally surpassed the amount on others routes such as MUC-MIA, DUS-MIA, TXL-MIA and so on.

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 93):
i believe now is the end of Dallas-Rio route.

Reservations on AA DFW-GIG 3x weekly are no longer available beyond February 22nd.

Regards.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

tommy767

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:35 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 133):
Save yourself the agony of flying on AA in Y.

At least AA has free booze in TATL economy. I think that makes up for the non-AVOD, IMHO.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

LAXdude1023

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:50 pm

Congrats to AA! As a DFW flyer, these flights are of no use to me but they really enhance the network and Im happy to see them for that reason.

As to those who say AA has an inferior product than UA in Y, pick what you want: free booze or AVOD.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

jcwr56

Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:11 am

Will MAN-ORD also upgauge back to a 763 for the summer?

Yes and they're dropping one from ORD too. Like I have mentioned before in other threads, AA reduces their own metal to let another OW carriers operate instead.

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:26 am

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 137):
Yes and they're dropping one from ORD too

Dropping one what? LHR flight? Sorry, I think I fell behind somewhere here  

uberflieger

Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:41 am

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 137):
AA reduces their own metal to let another OW carriers operate instead

Are you trying to tell us something? AB taking over ORD-DUS?  

nomorerjs

Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:21 am

From what I hear in Dallas, ORD-LHR will be 3X daily on AA this summer: 763 for the day trip, 77W for the 1st flight to LHR, and 772 for the next flight. BA is expected to go 3X daily ORD-LHR (744, 77W, and 772), but this is just "talk". Also, as much as I didn't expect this, BA is one that is pushing hard for a 380 gate a T5 (almost as hard as EK), for what it's worth.

questions

Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:31 am

Can AA's A321T's make it across the pond?

BD338

Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:45 am

I was looking forward to the BHX flight as another one stop option, then i realized AA doesn't non stop JFK SLC, so DL remains my only one stop option via CDG or from next year AMS. C'mon AA (or even UA) can't we get some non stop NYC SLC love out west? 2 stop just doubles chances of a problem occuring, and adding time. Still, good to see AA,returning to BHX, I used the previous ORD service a few times.

As to 757 service with no PTV, how on earth did I manage to survive crossing the Atlantic in the 1990s?

N62NA

Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:11 am

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 92):
Same model, but the 75L seats actually are slightly wider. You aren't comparing the right cabins if they "look very different."

I think the control to adjust the seats is either in a different spot or oriented a bit differently too. I just took a look at the 772 pics here in the database to take another look at the "soon-to-be-gone" J seat (which I haven't flown on in years, instead I fly in F on the 772), and it doesn't look quite the same as the 75L F seats (which I've been on several times in just the past 2 or 3 months).

Thomaas

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:06 am

Quoting BD338 (Reply 142):
As to 757 service with no PTV, how on earth did I manage to survive crossing the Atlantic in the 1990s?

Why is this relevant in 2014 when all their competitors offer PTVs and some even Wifi ?

S75752

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:08 am

Having never experienced anything better at the time? Maybe seats were more comfortable at the time too so sleep wasn't a near impossible task without sleep meds.
I thought UA was magnificent when I was young, until I tried VS.

C'mon AA (or even UA) can't we get some non stop NYC SLC love out west? 2 stop just doubles chances of a problem occuring

I was about to say that UA does EWR but apparently they don't... What the hell?! I would have thought that even a single 738 would have been good, or at least a twice daily. UA doesn't even serve IAD from SLC, nor does DL! Seems like another open opportunity.

tommy767

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:11 am

Quoting S75752 (Reply 145):

CO served SLC from EWR and it failed using lacking 735 equipment. PMUA did SLC-IAD using a 319 and post merger it was dropped.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

N62NA

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:14 am

C'mon AA (or even UA) can't we get some non stop NYC SLC love out west? 2 stop just doubles chances of a problem occuring, and adding time
DL flies EWR-SLC nonstop, as well as JFK-SLC nonstop (and on 763 too!).

[Edited 2014-11-02 19:15:29]

S75752

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:14 am

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 146):
CO served SLC from EWR and it failed using lacking 735 equipment. PMUA did SLC-IAD using a 319 and post merger it was dropped.

I'm shocked by that, it seems like those would be great routes between two good sized airports with high traffic... What went wrong?

AA767400

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:17 am

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 135):
At least AA has free booze in TATL economy. I think that makes up for the non-AVOD, IMHO.

Oh yeah, I forgot that UA charges for alcohol across the pond. The English do like their beer, or glass of wine with dinner. That does help the cause.
"The low fares airline."

tommy767

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:22 am

Quoting S75752 (Reply 148):

UA is short on narrowbody equipment and every little bit helps from the hubs. Newer routes like IAD-ABQ/SLC were the first to go when UA starting parking planes.

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 149):
Oh yeah, I forgot that UA charges for alcohol across the pond. The English do like their beer, or glass of wine with dinner. That does help the cause.

That and the fact that AA's flight out of JFK would probably have a better O/T rate than UA's out of EWR. Can't trust EWR come summertime.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos