SKAirbus
Topic Author

Air Canada Rouge Livery - For Mainline Fleet?

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:48 am

Hi,

I was thinking. The Air Canada Rouge livery is epic, stylish and very Canadian. Bearing in mind that the green and red livery on the current fleet is starting to look a little dated (and to be honest I never liked it), could the Rouge livery be adapted to the AC mainline fleet? Are there any plans for this going forward?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Airwim
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Javier del Olmo

Base: BRU

SpaceshipDC10

RE: Air Canada Rouge Livery - For Mainline Fleet?

Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:04 am

Quoting SKAirbus (Thread starter):
the green and red livery on the current fleet is starting to look a little dated (and to be honest I never liked it)

Personally I don't find it dated and have always liked it. It also has the advantage of sparing us from another euro white livery.

could the Rouge livery be adapted to the AC mainline fleet?

Although we can never say never, that livery was designed to differentiate their leisure arm from the regular airline. Unless AC choose to standardize on Rouge -like on board service and comfort, especially in the aircraft's front part, I don't see the benefit of having just one brand for two different products.

Remember that to have an airline within an airline has rarely worked, even more when it's a LCC.

pnwtraveler

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:17 pm

Any marketing professional just saw the proverbial red flag in front of the bull. A lot of money is spent on brand, brand awareness, and making the product stand out from all the others. It helps to carve the niche for the product or service. To merge the Air Canada brand with Rouge would be a death knell to one of them. That doesn't preclude the airline from doing it, but I believe it makes it highly unlikely. When you look at Rouge you need to think cheap seats. When you look at AC you need to think other things like solidly Canadian not the most opulent but good and reliable (or whatever the marketers had in mind.)

The issue of the toothpaste colour scheme is a different issue. It is very distinctive in the market, Whether someone likes it is different than if it is effective among core travelers. That being said it is an expensive one to paint with the holographic like elements. I think the move is definitely away from Euro White. Look at New Zealand's all black colour scheme. The brand new one for Etihad which a radical departure and stunning. Scoot that just rolled out of the paint shed as well. If anything does the AC blue/green in, I think it will be expense.

Thomaas

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:27 pm

I heard that they would be getting a new livery within the next few years that is closer to Rouge (e.g. more red and loss of the frost/blue colour on the fuselage) which saddens me because I love the current livery. Look at their website and new cabins for guidelines to their future identity. The light blue has been replaced with greys and red accents.

VCEflyboy

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:41 pm

Quoting pnwtraveler (Reply 2):
Any marketing professional just saw the proverbial red flag in front of the bull. A lot of money is spent on brand, brand awareness, and making the product stand out from all the others.

Without your eloquent explanation I would have thought the Rogue livery is exactly copied from TK, only instead of the goose there is the maple leaf.

aviationaware

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:47 pm

Bearing in mind that the green and red livery on the current fleet is starting to look a little dated (and to be honest I never liked it)

Are you mad? That light blue livery is one of the best in the skies right now...

drgmobile

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:53 pm

I was thinking. The Air Canada Rouge livery is epic, stylish and very Canadian. Bearing in mind that the green and red livery on the current fleet is starting to look a little dated (and to be honest I never liked it), could the Rouge livery be adapted to the AC mainline fleet? Are there any plans for this going forward?
View Large View Medium

This would never be done because it wouldn't make sense unless the airline intended to standardize to a Rouge product across the board. Prettiness isn't the point.

Quoting Thomaas (Reply 3):
I heard that they would be getting a new livery within the next few years that is closer to Rouge (e.g. more red and loss of the frost/blue colour on the fuselage) which saddens me because I love the current livery. Look at their website and new cabins for guidelines to their future identity. The light blue has been replaced with greys and red accents.

I know it was being looked at about a year ago, but I don't know how seriously. It certainly is distinctive and you have to look at the things that AC cares about in terms of marketing and product: The focus is on international leadership and distinctiveness is a marketing asset when you see numerous AC planes lined up at a major international hub like LHR, FRA or HKG.

longhauler

Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:02 pm

You may have noticed that over the last year, AC has already started a rebranding. Look at the website, at advertisements, on-board menus, magazines, meal tray accents, etc. etc. ... they are all the same, and the way things are headed. Just like the new cabin interiors, they are shades of grey and brown with red accents. Very different from Rouge.

If you want to picture a new aircraft livery (hint hint) look in that direction.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

ac7e7

Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:56 pm

So am I hearing this correctly that AC will be changing their livery?

I do Ike the current livery - very slick.

bmacleod

Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:33 pm

Quoting ac7e7 (Reply 8):
So am I hearing this correctly that AC will be changing their livery?

Until AC announces something on their website; I wouldn't put any    on it....
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

SXDFC

Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:51 pm

One firm put up some of its concept AC work onto its website

http://flaviomcarvalho.com/projects/air-canada-livery

If only they added bigger titles, I like it!

Quantos

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:00 pm

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 10):

To me, this looks incredibly bland.

Personally, I favor the Rouge tail. I'm pretty sure that merging the two liveries is not something that AC will do, though.
Quantos,

I maintain the Airbus A220 (formerly Bombardier C Series) Aircraft Status sheet: https://goo.gl/HZshto
Feel free to comment on the sheet with any improvement suggestions and data update requests! Thanks to Paolo92 for his advice!

golfradio

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:09 pm

I love the concept. Clean crisp white and red combination on the uniform, cushions and the menu items goes very well with the dark grey. I agree, a bigger font would look very good.
CSeries forever. Bring back the old site.

polaris

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:35 pm

Awful! On mainline Air Canada, do not chop up the maple leaf. That's your symbol; that's the country's symbol.

ac7e7

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:50 pm

Not bad, but it reminds me of Bell's latest brand - focusing on the "B".

I really like the current mainline tail.

FighterPilot

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:51 pm

Not really a fan of that livery either. Again it's just another Euro white livery and almost reminds me of QANTAS. As well I agree they shouldn't "chop" the maple leaf. I get what they were going for but I think it is too "artsy."

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

SpaceshipDC10

Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:36 pm

There it is, a "perfect" euro white livery with a tail logo that looks more like a splash of red ink than anything else, except when you look at it in the right angle and know what to look for.    NEXT !

pnwtraveler

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:47 pm

If that was the winning concept for brand, the agency just got fired. You don't advertise a successful relaunch of a brand in advance. Now teasers are sometimes done (sometimes under the guise of a leak but done purposely) to gauge reaction, and focus groups that sign confidentiality agreements are held.

One of the points of rebranding is to make news, get attention, and give you an excuse to reinforce your main benefits and distinctives.

longhauler

Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:07 pm

Quoting pnwtraveler (Reply 17):
If that was the winning concept for brand, the agency just got fired.

No. That is just someone's fantasy livery.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Viscount724

Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:49 am

the green and red livery on the current fleet is starting to look a little dated

It's blue, not green.

Since AC is largely dropping blue from their new cabin interiors (except for some minor trim), it wouldn't surprise me if they're looking at a major livery change.

aerolimani

Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:08 am

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 4):
Without your eloquent explanation I would have thought the Rogue livery is exactly copied from TK, only instead of the goose there is the maple leaf.

Without your purposeful misspelling of Rouge, I might have taken your comment seriously.

Quoting longhauler (Reply 7):

You may have noticed that over the last year, AC has already started a rebranding. Look at the website, at advertisements, on-board menus, magazines, meal tray accents, etc. etc. ... they are all the same, and the way things are headed. Just like the new cabin interiors, they are shades of grey and brown with red accents. Very different from Rouge.

If you want to picture a new aircraft livery (hint hint) look in that direction.

Indeed, if there were a change of livery on the way, I think these are hints of where they might be headed. I'm sure they would want to keep it looking different than Rouge. Related, but different.

Then again, I don't think it's a terrible idea to have a different interior scheme from outdoor. I appreciate the distinctiveness of the toothpaste colour; actually called "silver sky" by Air Canada. However, I'm glad that "silver sky" does not permeate the interiors.

BritishB747

Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:30 am

Well if that concept is a sign of things to come I better get down to LHR and get photographs of as many AC aircraft in the toothpaste livery as possible.

I like the current AC livery and the Rouge livery, I like that it harks back to the old 1960s/70s/80s livery but still appears modern. That concept livery should be sent back to the drawing board, or the bin, which ever is closer.
AT5 AT7 AB6 319 320 321 333 33V 343 346 AR8 733 734 736 73G 738 744 752 753 763 77E 77W 788 BET CR7 D10 D38 DHT DH4 E70 E75 E90 F70 J41 M83 S20 SF3

VCEflyboy

Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:09 am

Quoting aerolimani (Reply 20):

Without your purposeful misspelling of Rouge, I might have taken your comment seriously.

It wasnt on purpose. Im typing on my ipad

Flightsimboy

Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:55 am

The current Air Canada mainline colours are absolutely stunning on the Boeing 777s. Especially when viewed up close when they use that extra taxiway to line up at Rwy 23. Not sure about the Dreamliner. Can spend endless hours watching them come to land at Pearson! Rouge is cool too, but the 767s are so boring even with the winglets.

Is that aircraft over Dubai, a sign of things to come. AC to Dubai!  . Yes I know the entire thing is fictional. And that chopped Maple Leaf is just tragic.
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

hmmmm...

Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:20 am

the rouge livery has a great tail. I don't like the lack of the Air Canada name though. The tail + Air Canada in bold red letters and maybe a red cheatline to break up the white.

But anything is better than their last two liveries. The Rouge livery is the closest they have come to a good looking plane since they changed their classic livery in '92.
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

YVRLTN

Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:06 am

FWIW, the rumor around YVR is that change closer to Rouge is indeed in the works.

I hope not, in certain light the toothpaste looks absolutely stunning, but it doesnt wear well. However, no one else in the world has a fuselage that color and it sure stands out from the crowd and competition. Mission accomplished as far as branding and livery goes. I sure hope they dont change it. Right after updating all the Jazz & Georgian fleet too...

Rouge serves its purpose and it fine in its own right.

Quoting Polaris (Reply 13):
On mainline Air Canada, do not chop up the maple leaf. That's your symbol; that's the country's symbol.

+1
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

czbbflier

Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:19 am

Frankly, the whole negative space thing where some national icon or flag is 1/2 displayed on the tail of an otherwise pristinely white aircraft is getting really old.

I wasn't really a big fan on the Crest toothpaste colour when it first came out but I sure know my home airline overseas when I see one. I never thought I'd consider blue one of my national colours but Air Canada really does stand out.

Even here at home, contrasted with the Westjet arrow, Air Canada stands out.

aerolimani

Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:51 am

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 22):

Quoting aerolimani (Reply 20):

It wasnt on purpose. Im typing on my ipad

Fair enough. Apple's iOS spellcheck is particularly unforgiving with words in another language. Also, I'm getting tired of people complaining about Rouge, and purposely spelling it Rogue. It's getting old.

Still, I don't really think the Rouge livery is an imitation of TK. Very different typefaces, and "rouge" is located below the windows instead of above. The Rouge engines are red instead of white, and the red on the tail comes down onto the body of the plane.

VCEflyboy

Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:44 am

Quoting aerolimani (Reply 27):

Still, I don't really think the Rouge livery is an imitation of TK. Very different typefaces, and "rouge" is located below the windows instead of above. The Rouge engines are red instead of white, and the red on the tail comes down onto the body of the plane.

You are right, that is copied too! The red tail pattern is from QF and the logo scheme is from TK - just the circle frame is a little thicker. The typeface is original, but it also looks very tacky. One would assume it should be red, but its actually brownish in real life. In the picture it looks good, though.

ajhYXE

Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:58 am

Quoting Quantos (Reply 11):
To me, this looks incredibly bland.

Same here.

Honestly I'd prefer just about anything over another goddamn eurowhate livery for AC.

I would be interested in finding out when they plan on sending 787s to LAS though. 

[Edited 2014-11-05 01:59:56]
GO RIDERS!

longhauler

Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:16 pm

Quoting ajhYXE (Reply 29):
I would be interested in finding out when they plan on sending 787s to LAS though.

Unless it is a sub from mainline AC, not for a very long time.

q120

Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:50 pm

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/photos/big/00006168.jpg

my favourite.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results

brilondon

Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:11 pm

I like the current AC livery. It is still different than the Euro white and the boring liveries of Europe i.e. Air France, LH, or the multitude of LCCs that sport the name and that's it folks no style or colour to them. Yes I am talking to you Easy Jet. The frosted maple leaf is quite noticeable when I am in LHR.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

lostsound

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:21 pm

The Rouge livery is highly unoriginal, bland, and definitely does not represent a legacy carrier. The current livery for the mainline fleet is much more interesting and appropriate in my opinion. I would like to see them update their brand a bit, but would rather they tweak the current scheme than acquire the leisure carrier's livery.

ajhYXE

Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:00 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 30):
Unless it is a sub from mainline AC, not for a very long time.

I didn't think so. Whoever did those renderings may think otherwise though.

Quoting q120 (Reply 31):

That looks alright, though I could never see AC going for something like that.

Earlier today I was actually thinking about how much I miss CP's "proud wings" livery. Perhaps it should actually be the benchmark for AC to aim for in regards to any new livery (without necessarily incorporating the goose itself into the design).
GO RIDERS!

SpaceshipDC10

Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:27 pm

Quoting q120 (Reply 31):

I like the idea of brining back the goose, however I guess the livery would be better off with one single color for the whole fuselage and a maple leaf in the same shade of red as the titles and engines. Some sort of line in that same red shade could be added too. To make the dark coloured goose more visible, the fuselage should probably be painted white.

ac7e7

Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:17 am

The Goose will likely never make a return. I don't think Air Canada is interested in returning the logo of its former arch rival to the skies anytime soon.
Although, it would be cool to see some commemorative liveries for the 80th anniversary.

aerolimani

Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:44 am

Quoting ac7e7 (Reply 36):
The Goose will likely never make a return. I don't think Air Canada is interested in returning the logo of its former arch rival to the skies anytime soon.

Besides, these days, the Canada Goose is known far and wide as a loud and aggressive creature which leaves small dog sized poops everywhere it goes.   

But seriously, as part of a livery, it does look good. I liked that 5T initially kept the goose after CP went away. I was disappointed when they changed to the current polar bear theme.

Viscount724

Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:03 am

Quoting aerolimani (Reply 37):
Quoting ac7e7 (Reply 36):

Besides, these days, the Canada Goose is known far and wide as a loud and aggressive creature which leaves small dog sized poops everywhere it goes.

But seriously, as part of a livery, it does look good. I liked that 5T initially kept the goose after CP went away. I was disappointed when they changed to the current polar bear theme.

The polar bear is more relevant to their area of operations than the Canada goose which only inhabits northern Canada for a few months in the summer. The polar bear is there year-round.

Apart from the very brief "proud wings" return at the end, CP only used the goose as part of the aircraft livery for 7 years (1961-68). It was used prior to 1961 in advertising etc. but not as part of the livery.

czbbflier

Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:26 am

Air Canada's historic logo (since it's inception) is the stylized circled maple leaf. Replace or complement it with the goose is busy and confusing. AC should stick to the maple leaf.

aerolimani

Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:45 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 38):
The polar bear is more relevant to their area of operations than the Canada goose which only inhabits northern Canada for a few months in the summer. The polar bear is there year-round.

No argument there. It does suit the airline. Certainly, it suits Canadian North Airline far better than it suits the Northwest Territories government. Nunavut should have the polar bear, not the NWT. Just take a look at a polar bear range map some time.

That being said, I just liked the goose, and I liked that it lived on for a while, after the demise of CP.

Quoting czbbflier (Reply 39):
Air Canada's historic logo (since it's inception) is the stylized circled maple leaf. Replace or complement it with the goose is busy and confusing. AC should stick to the maple leaf.

I may like the goose, but I still agree with you, czbbflier.

billreid

Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:41 am

Was in Charleston SC visiting the city this last weekend. Drove past the Boeing plant and saw a B787 in AC colors on the Boeing apron. I have to say the ICE colors are one of the sharpest in the world. No need for AC to change a thing on mainline, that 787 looks sleek!
Ice is sweeeeeeeet!
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos