Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

steeler83

RE: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 30

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:16 am

Quoting krod031 (Reply 149):
PIT Airports website has C54...

Other than Allegiant, Delta's international flights, Xtra and Interjet, nobody else really seems to use that too much. Are those gates mainly just common use now?

I can remember the days when United, Air Canada, and I think TWA used that concourse along with USAir and British Airways. I think one of the PA revivals used a gate there.

I guess A is the busiest concourse now, followed by a toss-up between B and C.

Also I looked at the OAG thread and saw PIT is losing some frequencies; it looks like PIT-AOO is one of them...

Quote:
LW AOO-PIT APR 4>3 MAY 4>0 JUN 4>0 JUL 4>0 AUG 4>0 SEP 4>0
LW HGR-IAD APR 4>3 MAY 4>0 JUN 4>0 JUL 4>0 AUG 4>0 SEP 4>0
LW JHW-PIT APR 4>3 MAY 4>0 JUN 4>0 JUL 4>0 AUG 4>0 SEP 4>0

[Edited 2015-01-26 19:19:45]
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

krod031

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:51 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 150):
Also I looked at the OAG thread and saw PIT is losing some frequencies; it looks like PIT-AOO is one of them...

Quote:
LW AOO-PIT APR 4>3 MAY 4>0 JUN 4>0 JUL 4>0 AUG 4>0 SEP 4>0
LW HGR-IAD APR 4>3 MAY 4>0 JUN 4>0 JUL 4>0 AUG 4>0 SEP 4>0
LW JHW-PIT APR 4>3 MAY 4>0 JUN 4>0 JUL 4>0 AUG 4>0 SEP 4>0

AOO and JHW are indeed no longer available after May. But i thought these routes were apart of the essential air service? So can they end? Somebody correct me here if I'm wrong...

PITrules

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:59 am

Quoting krod031 (Reply 151):

AOO and JHW are indeed no longer available after May. But i thought these routes were apart of the essential air service? So can they end? Somebody correct me here if I'm wrong...

Just a guess, but if Sun Air is having trouble with staffing as seems to be the case then they probably stopped selling tickets for more than 3 months out for now until they finalize a more practical reduced schedule. I would hope that's what's going on here anyway.
FLYi

steeler83

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:15 am

Quoting PITrules (Reply 152):
Just a guess, but if Sun Air is having trouble with staffing as seems to be the case then they probably stopped selling tickets for more than 3 months out for now until they finalize a more practical reduced schedule. I would hope that's what's going on here anyway.

That's a shame. PIT and Altoona are at a loss with what's happening with Sun Air. Come to think of it, I seem to remember something happening to them (damaged equipment or lack of personnel, I forget which), causing them to suspend this service. If this service isn't brought back, can someone else come in and fly it? Can the contract be forfeited and given/awarded to another airline (Silver)?
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

PITrules

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:29 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 153):
I seem to remember something happening to them (damaged equipment or lack of personnel, I forget which), causing them to suspend this service. If this service isn't brought back,

Just to reiterate (or re-phrase what I wrote), they are still flying these routes, just not selling tickets for more than 3 months in advance (for now).
FLYi

flightsimer

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:56 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 153):

Silver did not want it in the first place. Silver is getting rid of their 1900's , so the only thing they could fly on the route is a Saab 340 and from IAD.

If Sun Air folds on the routes, the only way it could transfer to Silver is if the given EAS city would allow the contract to be changed to IAD and agree to the flight schedule proposed. Which due to the aircraft size, I doubt Silver would even attempt to go after them.
Commercial / Airline Pilot

PITflier

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:44 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 143):
Quoting steeler83 (Reply 143):

Quoting GSP psgr (Reply 142):
IF WN wanted to roughly double their operation (~25 more flights), I'd guess:

3X PHL
2X each STL/DAL/BDL/RDU
1X each to ATL/JAX/HOU/MKE/MSY/MCI/PVD/MHT/AUS/ORF/LAX and one of OAK/SFO

That sounds about right. Altho I think some of those once daily destinations might even support another flight or two. MCI, MSY, LAX, and SFO I think could support twice daily service...

If I could throw in my two bits, 1X to DAY, FNT, CAK, GRR, CLE and CMH and possibly 2X to IND, RIC could work. Also SEA would probably support a flight from O&D though thats been discussed already.

PITflier

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:56 am

Does anyone happen to know of any pictures of the E concourse when it was still used as a concourse? I never flew out of it myself so I have no memory of it and I can only imagine what it looked like when I go through the alt security checkpoint. I imagine that was where the main seating area was.

steeler83

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:03 am

Quoting PITflier (Reply 156):
If I could throw in my two bits, 1X to DAY, FNT, CAK, GRR, CLE and CMH and possibly 2X to IND, RIC could work. Also SEA would probably support a flight from O&D though thats been discussed already.

What airline are you talking about adding service to Dayton, Flint, Canton/Akron, or any of those other places, except SEA? I'm thinking you're referring to American (Eagle/Envoy); I seriously doubt WN would fly a 737 to any of those places, again except for SEA. I'd love to see service to those markets resume as well, but I don't think AA Envoy is going to be adding those anytime soon unfortunately...

All that said, AA and Envoy have yet to take delivery of some aircraft this year; I think they're still working on their Summer/Autumn route network(s). I'm kinda taking a wait-and-see approach regarding AA. They're in a unique position with PIT, and I'd like to see what they do...

PITflier

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:20 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 158):
Quoting steeler83 (Reply 158):
What airline are you talking about adding service to Dayton, Flint, Canton/Akron, or any of those other places, except SEA? I'm thinking you're referring to American (Eagle/Envoy); I seriously doubt WN would fly a 737 to any of those places, again except for SEA. I'd love to see service to those markets resume as well, but I don't think AA Envoy is going to be adding those anytime soon unfortunately...

Oh yes I misread the original post as referencing AA, my bad. Although I think SW still might be able to swing a daily IND flight on a 737 if its true they're looking to alleviate connecting passengers at MDW like it said above.

steeler83

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:33 am

Quoting PITflier (Reply 157):
Does anyone happen to know of any pictures of the E concourse when it was still used as a concourse? I never flew out of it myself so I have no memory of it and I can only imagine what it looked like when I go through the alt security checkpoint. I imagine that was where the main seating area was.

There are youtube videos of the E concourse. There's one in particular from c1997. You can even see a BA 747-200 off at gate C61!

Okay, I couldn't find that footage. Hopefully it wasn't deleted...

steeler83

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:36 am

Quoting PITflier (Reply 159):
Oh yes I misread the original post as referencing AA, my bad. Although I think SW still might be able to swing a daily IND flight on a 737 if its true they're looking to alleviate connecting passengers at MDW like it said above.

Yeah, I kinda figured as much. Oh, and welcome aboard!

And, like my stance with AA, I'm also taking a "wait and see" approach with WN.

Flaps

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:28 pm

E was nothing special at all. Just one hold room with three enclosed corridors (nice windows though) leading out to the planes.. Picture what you see now at the secondary checkpoint. It is almost unchanged. Very similar to the old Comair terminal at CVG only with a smaller hold room.

You would wait in the hold room until your flight was called and then proceed to the appropriate gate.

masseybrown

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:08 pm

Quoting Flaps (Reply 162):
You would wait in the hold room until your flight was called and then proceed to the appropriate gate.

A large part of the Vienna airport still works that way with roving teams of Austrian security agents checking boarding passengers at each small gate area. It works surprisingly well.

PITflier

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:37 am

Quoting Flaps (Reply 162):

I feel like that would get crowded in the hallways really quickly if you have several flights leaving at once. Although they were only prop planes in E so maybe it wasn't too bad.

PITflier

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:42 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 161):
Yeah, I kinda figured as much. Oh, and welcome aboard!

Thanks! I've been around since thread 25 or so but I only joined now.

steeler83

Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:00 am

Quoting pitflier (Reply 165):
Thanks! I've been around since thread 25 or so but I only joined now.

Yep. I started reading these threads when US was shuttering their hub. A little over a year later, I decided to pony up the funds and participate in these discussions and anything else that piqued my interest. I remember blasting PHL and US for shifting their hub there, but such a move made sense for US' bottom line -- high O&D, no airport debt to pay down, and no corrupt feckless contemptible gas bags running the show like we have (or had) at the ACAA.

Of course, roughly 9 years later, I think I've gotten a little wiser if anything. I'd love to see PIT rise from the ashes again, but I know that in this industry and the way the airlines have established themselves elsewhere that it's not very likely it will happen. That said, watching WN and AA over the next year or so should be intriguing...

PITflier

Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:56 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 166):
Of course, roughly 9 years later, I think I've gotten a little wiser if anything. I'd love to see PIT rise from the ashes again, but I know that in this industry and the way the airlines have established themselves elsewhere that it's not very likely it will happen. That said, watching WN and AA over the next year or so should be intriguing...

I think one of the biggest shames is that PIT is so underutilized while there are plenty of airports in the US that would kill to have a facility like ours. If you do the math, LAX has 119 gates in 9 terminals. We have 75 (expandable to 100) in 1 terminal.

Personally I'm somewhat divided on who I want to build up in PIT more. Obviously both won't have significant operations here and each have pros and cons. With WN you get the benefit of solely mainline aircraft but potentially fewer destinations served. While with AA you get the smaller jets (bleh) that can serve more smaller markets plus a better chance of international service. With WN the only international destination I could see them serving from PIT would be CUN, possibly PUJ. Whereas with AA LHR could be on their radar, either with their own metal or on BA, which is much more appealing. A BA 787 to PIT would be pretty awesome.

boeing6594

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:09 am

Quoting PITflier (Reply 157):

Hey PITflier!

Coincidentally I just found these pictures the other day when I was browsing! Not sure of the nature of the website or why they have them, but they give a pretty interesting glimpse!

http://www.yourfilmlocations.com/loc...tail.aspx?id=045-10000644&page=319

On a somewhat related note, can anyone describe the international arrivals facilities/process at PIT? I've seen the main concourse level of Concourse C, but unfortunately have never flown internationally into PIT. Judging from previous international arrival experiences I've had, I can't imagine all of the facilities required could fit under that concourse.

Matt

PITflier

Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:27 am

Quoting boeing6594 (Reply 168):
Coincidentally I just found these pictures the other day when I was browsing! Not sure of the nature of the website or why they have them, but they give a pretty interesting glimpse!

http://www.yourfilmlocations.com/loc...tail.aspx?id=045-10000644&page=319

Nifty! That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for (sans the people). I find it odd they had sliding doors separating the hallways from the seating area though. My guess it was used as a wind breaker for when the doors to the planes were open to eliminate draft.

On a somewhat related note, can anyone describe the international arrivals facilities/process at PIT? I've seen the main concourse level of Concourse C, but unfortunately have never flown internationally into PIT. Judging from previous international arrival experiences I've had, I can't imagine all of the facilities required could fit under that concourse.

I've wondered that myself actually, since there has to be room under the concourse for baggage facilities as well. Unless customs and immigration are actually in the space under the main core area, which is more than large enough, so when you get off the plane and go downstairs you just follow a long hallway running the length of C to customs.

AaronPGH

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:12 am

I flew in from Cancun about 4-5 years ago and vaguely remember customs. It still felt like a haunted US Airways house. There was still US bag re-check signs and such up. Scattered broken equipment, monitors turned off. I remember maybe two customs agents and two long lines. Maybe 6-8 customs booths wide?

After you cleared with passports you made a turn and came to the bag screening? I ended up being the first person to turn the corner and the agents were playing cards – jumped up and said "oh! they're early".

Probably could have remembered more details if I weren't so hung up on how much of a disaster it was down there. I think this was pre-CDG so hopefully things have improved.

PITingres

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:55 pm

can anyone describe the international arrivals facilities/process at PIT?

It's pretty much the usual. You deplane at one of the far end C gates, go downstairs and immigration is pretty much right there. International bag claim is immediately past immigration, you get your bag, pass customs, and re-enter and re-check thru security. You unfortunately have to do that even if Pittsburgh is your final destination, because all of that is indeed under the C concourse (more or less). You come out airside at the mezzanine level, if I remember rightly, where you either go up to the main airside level or down to the shuttle to landside.

I've never had an issue with delays there. The unconditional re-entry into security is super annoying but with the relatively low volumes, it's not nearly as bad as say Atlanta used to be.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

steeler83

Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:22 am

Quoting pitflier (Reply 167):
Personally I'm somewhat divided on who I want to build up in PIT more. Obviously both won't have significant operations here and each have pros and cons. With WN you get the benefit of solely mainline aircraft but potentially fewer destinations served. While with AA you get the smaller jets (bleh) that can serve more smaller markets plus a better chance of international service. With WN the only international destination I could see them serving from PIT would be CUN, possibly PUJ. Whereas with AA LHR could be on their radar, either with their own metal or on BA, which is much more appealing. A BA 787 to PIT would be pretty awesome.

That's why I'd like to see some kind of balance between the two. Both could bring very good things to the region. WN would be all 737s, while AA would bring the higher chances of increased international routes.

Quoting PITingres (Reply 171):
it's not nearly as bad as say Atlanta used to be.

Used to be? My wife connected to a Puerto Vallarta-bound flight through that hell-hole. They had a 3-hour layover, and even with that amount of time they had to run to their plane. That was back in 2007. I'm guessing things are better since then?

PITingres

Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:35 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 172):
My wife connected to a Puerto Vallarta-bound flight through that hell-hole. They had a 3-hour layover, and even with that amount of time they had to run to their plane. That was back in 2007.

The new international arrivals concourse in ATL opened sometime in the 2012-ish timeframe, I believe. One thing it did was relieve ATL-bound passengers from having to clear security, so that's a plus right there. I don't go thru ATL all that often, but my last 2 or 3 international arrivals there did seem to go a lot better than the bad old days of winding through a completely packed room to re-clear security.

I do wish that PIT would come up with a way to get home arrivals out of customs back to landside without the never-sufficiently-damned security check, even if it were a shuttle bus; but I don't expect that to happen until and unless volumes increase.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

oflanigan

Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:54 am

So just to clarify, passengers have to re clear security because they are released back into the airside terminal? But wouldn't have to re clear if they walked right out into the landslide terminal

PITflier

Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:34 am

Quoting oflanigan (Reply 174):

So just to clarify, passengers have to re clear security because they are released back into the airside terminal? But wouldn't have to re clear if they walked right out into the landslide terminal

This is correct, however there is no exit directly to landside, hence the problem. I imagine a bus would really be the only solution.

PITflier

Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:01 am

Quoting PITingres (Reply 171):
It's pretty much the usual. You deplane at one of the far end C gates, go downstairs and immigration is pretty much right there. International bag claim is immediately past immigration, you get your bag, pass customs, and re-enter and re-check thru security. You unfortunately have to do that even if Pittsburgh is your final destination, because all of that is indeed under the C concourse (more or less). You come out airside at the mezzanine level, if I remember rightly, where you either go up to the main airside level or down to the shuttle to landside.

This is purely speculative and it'll probably never be done, but considering you can add another 14 gates to C (62-75) I feel like it'd get really backed up down there really fast at peak times (i.e. Europe arrivals). All told there'd be 19 international gates. 19 narrow bodies sounds bad enough, any combo of 19 wide bodies sounds horrendous.

Cush

Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:29 pm

I worked down in the immigration/customs arrival hall for a while, and it is nothing special.

When the passengers deplane, they walk down a set of escalators and into the immigration area. Once they cleared immigration, there was the woman working the agriculture stand. The next step was the baggage re-claim. Yes. Regardless of your final destination, you are required to pickup your bag, proceed through customs, then drop it off and re-clear security.
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

PITrules

Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:43 pm

Nothing really new here, but a bit more on the new CEO:
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/tra...onal-Cassotis/stories/201501300092

But its nice to see she thinks the terminal is dated and needs a refresh:
http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...tional-due-for-a-refresh-says.html

Quoting pitflier (Reply 176):

This is purely speculative and it'll probably never be done, but considering you can add another 14 gates to C (62-75) I feel like it'd get really backed up down there really fast at peak times (i.e. Europe arrivals). All told there'd be 19 international gates. 19 narrow bodies sounds bad enough, any combo of 19 wide bodies sounds horrendous.

You can add another 14 gates on C but that does not mean they would all be int'l. And if they were, they certainly would be used for domestic flights as well, just like the current int'l gates can be used for domestic.

If PIT really needed to expand with that many in'tl gates back in the hub days, the plan was to build a new int'l facility in the second airside building which was to be built to the east of the current one.

[Edited 2015-01-30 14:02:27]
FLYi

PITflier

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:59 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 178):
You can add another 14 gates on C but that does not mean they would all be int'l. And if they were, they certainly would be used for domestic flights as well, just like the current int'l gates can be used for domestic.

If PIT really needed to expand with that many in'tl gates back in the hub days, the plan was to build a new int'l facility in the second airside building which was to be built to the east of the current one.

Being said, that makes much more sense. Actually now that you've said it I seem to recall reading somewhere that the reason the control tower is off center from the middle of the field is because if/when the tram is extended they can dig up the ground without any obstructions. Was any of this facility ever planned out? Or was it more just something they said could potentially be done.

PITrules

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:15 am

Quoting pitflier (Reply 179):
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the reason the control tower is off center from the middle of the field is because if/when the tram is extended they can dig up the ground without any obstructions. Was any of this facility ever planned out? Or was it more just something they said could potentially be done.

That is my understanding as well (re. the location of the tower). As far as anything being planned, IIRC it was in the 1993 master plan which unfortunately I don't have. There have been other proposals during those years, such as having the second airside located south of the current runways.

[Edited 2015-01-30 16:18:44]
FLYi

PITflier

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:54 am

Quoting PITrules (Reply 180):
That is my understanding as well (re. the location of the tower). As far as anything being planned, IIRC it was in the 1993 master plan which unfortunately I don't have. There have been other proposals during those years, such as having the second airside located south of the current runways.

That is unfortunate, it'd be pretty great to look at. The only thing I have is a capacity study from 1991, which itself is pretty neat since there are several construction pictures in it.

PITrules

Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:36 am

Quoting pitflier (Reply 181):

That is unfortunate, it'd be pretty great to look at. The only thing I have is a capacity study from 1991, which itself is pretty neat since there are several construction pictures in it.

Well here is what I do have. I posted the first one not too long ago but here it is again to show a basic proposal for a concourse to the south of the airfield.

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu162/JDawgphoto/SCAN0015-3.jpg

The official master plan with a second airside came after this. It was to be located where the hangars currently are, and featured an upside down "V" main concourse for international flights. Picture the current B and C concourse with the core at the top. Probably up to 30 widebody gates. It also had two smaller concourses extending from the north of the core for regional flights replacing the old E gates.

This clip from the Post-Gazette had the entire terminal proposal pictured. Unfortunately the good part got cut out when I copied it   But you can see how they were to extend the people mover and why they located the tower and USAir bag sort where they did.

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu162/JDawgphoto/PITplan.jpg

Google news archives is gone, but I'd still love to get a copy of the May 28, 2000 edition of the P-G.

I also have that 1991 capacity study you have; its pretty neat to see that massive runway build out in there.

[Edited 2015-01-30 17:41:52]
FLYi

PITflier

Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:25 am

Quoting PITrules (Reply 182):

I never knew the airside terminal was designed to be expanded though that seems obvious to me now. I always wondered why the baggage claim letters went from A-F and then J-R. Considering the downturn in need for checked baggage and passenger check in it probably never will be. I also find it amusing the garage is expandable considering nowadays (from what I understand) the whole thing's structural integrity means it should be demolished and rebuilt.

I imagine if an international facility was built now it would be where the commuter terminal was to allow easy exit for people whose final destination is Pittsburgh. Then at the same time they could tear out the whole hillside and install a much larger (and proper) security checkpoint. The airside station for the tram would have to be pushed back but thats small fries considering.

boeing6594

Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:24 am

If I'm not mistaken doesn't the signage at the beginning of the C Concourse say "Gates C51-C75?" And likewise for D? I had always assumed the plan was to build out the C and D concourses, if traffic ever warranted such an expansion.

Quoting PITrules (Reply 182):
It was to be located where the hangars currently are, and featured an upside down "V" main concourse for international flights.

The replacement of the E gates though, as well as the second international concourse, is all news to me though! Would love to see that issue of the PG!

iowaman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:08 am

In regards to some of the Southwest at Pittsburgh comments:

BOS is one of the largest (if not the largest) markets from PIT unserved by WN. Seems reasonable a couple flights a day may work.

Southwest gained two more gates in DAL from UA as a lease. DAL-MEM/MKE/SEA have been announced. Six other cities are to be announced soon. Would be cool to see a PIT-DAL flight on Southwest.

STL is probably the most logical add besides the two mentioned above. STL also opens up more connections to Midwest/West. GRR-STL is a good example of this.

Southwest has the big Florida destinations well covered. 5 daily flights to MCO this summer is impressive with 143 seat or larger aircraft.

Summer schedule MDW goes from 5 to 6x daily
DEN +1 for two daily flights.
LAS +1 for two daily flights.

I wouldn't look for PIT-PHL to return but who knows for sure.

ATL at 2x daily will likely stay at that indefinitely in my opinion. It seems most of the hacking is done at ATL and AirTran is fully integrated now. DL is queen (or king) in ATL and WN is (surely) secondary.

steeler83

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:28 pm

Quoting iowaman (Reply 185):
BOS is one of the largest (if not the largest) markets from PIT unserved by WN. Seems reasonable a couple flights a day may work.

That may be, but I think PIT-BOS is already well-covered by AA and B6. DL tried the route, but that was doomed to fail from the start. Why on earth they thought they could make a go at a top business market with nothing but CR2s is beyond me.

Then again, WN would be all-737. Hmmm, perhaps that would entice AA to add larger regional jet if not mainline equipment there. Altho, 2 of their 3 daily flights are operated with 2-class E70s. Heck, make that CR2 flight an E75, or mainline with an E90 or A319.

Considering what US/AA and B6 run the route with, WN would likely have the most market share if they launched the route. Seeing that the fares are already starting at $69 each way, I'm not sure what they'd gain...

rtalk25

Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:01 pm

STL is probably the most logical add besides the two mentioned above. STL also opens up more connections to Midwest/West.

I was thinking that it might add STL-CLE. It'd be easy to wrest that route from UA, but maybe it can launch both STL-CLE and STL-PIT (against AA/US) at the same time to make the announcement for STL.

One route that would be no direct competition could be PIT-MKE. I noticed PIT-MDW WGAs for the summer for $107-117.

It might be able to launch PIT-MKE even if 1x daily, for starting fares at $75-80 WGA and get some Chicago area leisure traffic to use the MKE flight to help it as it builds up a local market. There maybe connections to offer at the MKE side.

steeler83

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:19 pm

Quoting rtalk25 (Reply 187):
I was thinking that it might add STL-CLE. It'd be easy to wrest that route from UA, but maybe it can launch both STL-CLE and STL-PIT (against AA/US) at the same time to make the announcement for STL.
Quoting rtalk25 (Reply 187):
It might be able to launch PIT-MKE even if 1x daily, for starting fares at $75-80 WGA and get some Chicago area leisure traffic to use the MKE flight to help it as it builds up a local market. There maybe connections to offer at the MKE side.

I could see a starting fare of $79 to both MKE and STL. I'd even go with a flight or two to MCI at $89 each way. I don't think anybody serves PIT-MCI anymore since Midwest was bought out.

PITrules

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:21 pm

BOS is one of the largest O&D markets from PIT, but a main reason for this is B6 stayed in the market for the long haul and brought the fares down significantly, stimulating the market.

When WN served PIT-PHL, PHL was one of PIT's largest O&D markets, almost double what it is now. Same with NYC when B6 served JFK.

So based on that pattern, WN could do the same on PIT- PHL (again) or NYC if they so chose.

Would be cool to see a PIT-DAL flight on Southwest

I would think it is on their radar considering the article on PIT-Texas routes previously linked.

I wouldn't look for PIT-PHL to return but who knows for sure.

When they first added PIT-PHL, it was 7x daily. When they discontinued it was 4x daily. If they wanted to build up PIT, I could see PHL return 2-3 times daily.

Sun Air will be increasing weekend flights on PIT-AOO, as well as replacing the Navajos with Caravans due to larger baggage space. Load factors have ranged from empty to full, but they say reservations are increasing for the spring. Still no reason given why their website is not taking reservations past May.

"MARTINSBURG - The airline providing daily flights between the Altoona and Pittsburgh airports is upgrading its aircraft and adding two flights to its schedule.

Sun Air Express started Sunday to use a Cessna Caravan in place of the Navajo Chieftain it has been flying since Dec. 2. While both aircraft have eight passenger seats, those familiar with the Cessna Caravan say it offers bigger seats, a wider aisle and more space for baggage.

"It's a very comfortable aircraft," said Sun Air Express pilot Jim Gibson who has been flying regularly between Altoona and Pittsburgh. "And they have a large baggage area.

"The Caravan is what FedEx uses and it has good cargo capacity," Cesstari said. "They have like a pod underneath the aircraft, so they can carry a lot."

The additional flights at the Altoona-Blair County Airport include a a 6:30 a.m. departure on Saturdays and a 12:25 departure on Sundays.

Sun Air added those flights, Plessinger said, after taking a look at the spring reservations.

"In March, April and May, they were seeing an increase in bookings and a demand for weekend flights," Plessinger said.
"
http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/co...ghts--better-aircraft.html?nav=742
FLYi

flightsimer

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:18 am

I can't believe Sun Air actually got a van. It has to be a pretty old one, but at least it is a good step in the right direction. I did check the register and there is no Caravan under Sun Air's or their flight training department's certificate. So I have a very high suspicion that this caravan may be a Pacific Wings Van as the two companies are very close with one another. Pacific Wings, is THE LAST CARRIER pit wants to have anything to do with the routes.

PITrules

Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:03 am

Hopefully this will add a butt or two on PIT-SFO flights:
http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/02/ube...sburgh-to-build-self-driving-cars/

Uber is headquartered in San Francisco; I find it interesting one of the reasons they chose against Silicon Valley is "potential secrecy". Even if there is no affect on air service demand, this is regardless an economic development home run if they already hired more than 50 top scientists and "cleaned out" CMU's robotics institute per the first article, as they barely have set up shop. Something like this could easily have ended up in BOS, AUS, or SJC.
http://www.post-gazette.com/business...CMU-engineers/stories/201502020181
FLYi

AaronPGH

Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:56 am

Wow, that Uber news is incredible. 50+ scientists easily means a 75+ person office. That is an incredible start, and Uber is sitting on a mega ton of cash. Not to mention, the National Robotics Institute isn't going to close up shop because of this. They'll re-staff, possibly pulling new people into town.

kubus

Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:21 pm

PIT-LGA got upgraded today, with not one, but two narrow bodies:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...0/history/20150203/1130Z/KPIT/KLGA
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...9/history/20150203/1200Z/KPIT/KLGA

Nice of Delta to bring extra space after yesterday's weather and Delta's system going out.
Looks like more issues today again.

steeler83

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:38 pm

Quoting kubus (Reply 193):
Quoting kubus (Reply 193):
PIT-LGA got upgraded today, with not one, but two narrow bodies:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...0/history/20150203/1130Z/KPIT/KLGA
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...9/history/20150203/1200Z/KPIT/KLGA

Nice of Delta to bring extra space after yesterday's weather and Delta's system going out.
Looks like more issues today again.

I looked at the flights of both of those. Were those charter flights? They both had 9xxx numbers. The MD90 was flight 9860, and the A320 was flight 9859.

flightsimer

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:57 pm

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 194):

My guess would additional capacity due to all of the WX cancelations?

PITrules

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:03 pm

Delta had some weather diversions yesterday, including two from Fla to JFK. Probably just getting airplanes back where they need them.
FLYi

PITrules

Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:55 am

Dec traffic is down 0.7%, ending a several month growth streak. However 2014 registered 1.5% growth; only 1,030 passengers from breaking the 8 million threshold.

http://www.flypittsburgh.com/Data/Si...ember-2014-short-e-mail-report.pdf

I expect 2015 to be a better year.
FLYi

kpitrrat

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:13 am

On the Delta flights I believe they were both diversions that got cancelled at PIT. I believe the A320 was a MSP-LGA route and the MD90 ATL-LGA. Not 100% tho, just what I gathered talking to a couple passengers. So the extra capacity is, as it has been said, just Delta getting the a/c to where they need to be.

Other than that things at PIT were fine except for the fact most every eastbound flight was cancelled that day.

PITrules

Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:41 am

"Airport Authority ousts longtime spokeswoman JoAnn Jenny"
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/tra...n-JoAnn-Jenny/stories/201502070052

Can't say I'm surprised.
FLYi

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos