Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Central American Aviation Thread. Part 59

Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:26 am

THE CENTRAL AMERICAN AVIATION THREAD
PART LIX

“TRIBUTE TO PAITILLA AERODROME, PANAMA CITY”

Welcome to a new version on the Cent Am aviation series to all the posters and readers !
There's few information on the web about Paitilla airport as it was merely located in Panama City downtown. Therefore, any further expansion related to this topic will be appreciated.
Paitilla was suddenly renamed to Marcos Gelabert airport and was in service from 1976 till 1999.
By the end of the Panama canal control, Paitilla was definitely closed and switched their operations to the former Albrook Air Force Base [AFB] and holding the PAC designator.
The Paitilla sector is now a vibrant financial and commercial sector and there's no need for one more airport in town considering Tocumen, Marcos Gelabert and Balboa -Howard AFB, in those days.-

Edited on November 16, 2014.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

PTYtoDCA

RE: Central American Aviation Thread. Part 59

Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:58 am

First time poster long time reader
Paitilla airport was really small, when I was a child in the nineties we used to fly from there to DAV
I have a question if CM plans to go back to PTY-DAV route, do you guys think it will work?
Out of personal observation those flights are not usually full and right now they use smaller planes than the E190 fares on Air Panama are currently 200-250$ round trip and the flights are 3 times a day one of which in an ATR 42 I think
Thanks in advance
ignorance is bliss

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:40 am

Quoting PTYtoDCA (Reply 1):
if CM plans to go back to PTY-DAV route, do you guys think it will work?

Welcome to the forum !
Air Panama usually covers PAC-DAV with the Fokker 100 and focused into the O&D component.
Copa Airlines and Air Panama had signed a code-share agreement on some domestic routes.
CM may start to turn their eyes to David and Rio Hato as candidate destinations for their services later. I foresee scheduled jet-line operations from these airports before the end of this decade.
I'm still puzzled about how the planned CM PTY-DAV may work into the current network.

Regards.

2travel2know2

Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:12 pm

Re CM PTY-SFO B737MAX from the last thread

Probably CM will get the B737MAX since Boeing won't be offering the next generation versions the moment it starts the B737MAX production.
What CM might be facing with B737MAX SFO service is that it's probably the B737-700MAX not the B737-800MAX the version best suited for that route.

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 2):
I'm still puzzled about how the planned CM PTY-DAV may work into the current network.

I still think CM will operate PTY-DAV-PTY solely for international connecting traffic and no domestic traffic will be allowed.
Best for DAV - IMHO, for CM to re-start the destination - would be E190 late evening PTY-DAV, early morning PTY-DAV, noon PTY-DAV (heading to SJO/MGA depending of week day), mid-afternoon DAV-PTY (coming from MGA/SJO).
And a DAV stop en route to/from MIA twice per week would also come very handy..

I'm not on CM's payroll.

PTYtoDCA

Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:47 pm

Why not allow local traffic, if they can fill a couple seats with local traffic it cant hurt. Also Panama is growing to the east and there is a lot of wealthy neighborhoods for whom PTY is closer than Albrook (PAC), particularly around Costa del Este.
ignorance is bliss

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:10 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 3):
for CM to re-start the destination - would be E190 late evening PTY-DAV, early morning PTY-DAV, noon PTY-DAV (heading to SJO/MGA depending of week day), mid-afternoon DAV-PTY (coming from MGA/SJO).

I'd prefer the hypothesis concerning to the resumption of CM PTY-DAV oriented to bulky connections through Tocumen.
The regional demand of passengers from Chiriqui only sustains 7P PAC-DAV-SJO thrice a week with 50-seater turboprops.

Quoting PTYtoDCA (Reply 4):
Also Panama is growing to the east and there is a lot of wealthy neighborhoods for whom PTY is closer than Albrook (PAC), particularly around Costa del Este.

Aeroperlas did a terrible experiment five years ago on launching routes as PTY-BOC-PAC and SJO-PAC with AT4.
If I remember correctly, PAC-PTY was operated for them. These flights didn't last too much at all.
My criteria on any PTY-DAV is still on formation.

Regards.

yellowtail

Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:26 pm

Quoting PTYtoDCA (Reply 1):
First time poster long time reader

Welcome. Two new posters in two weeks. WOW! We are adding you guys as furious clip

Quoting PTYtoDCA (Reply 4):
Why not allow local traffic, if they can fill a couple seats with local traffic it cant hurt. Also Panama is growing to the east and there is a lot of wealthy neighborhoods for whom PTY is closer than Albrook (PAC), particularly around Costa del Este.

I would agree. As DL has found on short routes like CHA-ATL (90 miles) you can make a killing on the yields.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:24 am

These pics belong to the old Paitilla aerodrome:

copa330200

Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:29 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 7):

These pics belong to the old Paitilla aerodrome:

thanks for sharing. !!! just incredible  
On the run !!!

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:08 am

Breaking news !

Spirit will inaugurate four [Houston - Central America] routes under the "low cost model" and operated entirely as "red-eyes."
Equipment: 319/320.

San Salvador:
NK 476........IAH 22:35.......SAL 00:24+1.......Ex Mo, We, Sa
NK 477........SAL 01:20......IAH 05:38............Ex Tu, Th, Su
Effective: May 28

Managua:
NK 454........IAH 22:35.......MGA 00:47+1......We, Fr, Su
NK 455........MGA 01:45.....IAH 06:24............Mo, Th, Sa
Effective: May 29

San Pedro Sula:
NK 462.........IAH 22:35......SAP 00:14+1.....Mo, We, Sa
NK 463.........SAP 01:15.....IAH 05:17..........Tu, Th, Su
Effective: May 30

San Jose:
NK 498.........IAH 22:30.......SJO 01:11+1.....Ex We, Fr, Su
NK 499.........SJO 01:55......IAH 06:50..........Ex Mo, Th, Sa
Effective: May 28

http://www.teletica.com/Noticias/724...entre-Houston-y-San-Jose.note.aspx

Regards.

CAMSky

Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:15 am

Great news on Spirit. Too bad with the Schedules, but really fantastic news in order to Foster Competition.

The Point - to - Point market for Houston-Central America has been dominated by United and Avianca.

We just need Southwest to come BWI-SAL, LAX-SAL/GUA... And Jetblue to kickstart some JFK-SAL!.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:34 am

Quoting CAMSky (Reply 10):
Great news on Spirit. Too bad with the Schedules

The "red-eye" allocation schedule is part of the "ultra low cost" philosophy and probably focused on the VFR traffic.
This is how the airline has steadily operated for seven years on NK FLL-PTY, NK FLL-MGA and NK FLL-SAP.

VFR: visiting friends and relatives.

Regards.

CAMSky

Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:29 am

Right on Target with the VFR comment. I think it attracts a lot of Leisure traffic willing to accomodate such scheduling.

2travel2know2

Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:17 pm

Quoting CAMSky (Reply 10):
We just need Southwest to come BWI-SAL, LAX-SAL/GUA... And Jetblue to kickstart some JFK-SAL!

Add PVD-GUA to those.
Probably WN might try something like SNA/ONT-SAL/GUA before LAX-SAL/GUA.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 6):
I would agree. As DL has found on short routes like CHA-ATL (90 miles) you can make a killing on the yield

The traffic CM wants for PTY-DAV is those passengers who currently have to disembark and go thru immigration and customs and transfer to PAC (the same day if they can) in order to fly to DAV.
What good does it do that CM will re-start domestic PTY-DAV if the market its targeting still will have to go thru immigration and customs and re-check baggage in order to fly to DAV?
IMHO, DAV has a demand for some DAV and MGA service and it could well work as a stop on the PTY-SJO/MGA several days per week.
Leave the domestic to 7P PAC-DAV-PAC twice/thrice daily.
And B.T.W. DAV is not LIR and whatever international service CM could offer there won't get 95% leisure traffic.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

yellowtail

Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:07 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 9):
Breaking news !

Not to burst your bubble, but I mentioned it in thread part 58. But Woohoo anyway!

greenmow

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:13 pm

Copa Airlines will terminate its participation in MilagePlus and starts its own loyalty program in July 2015.

https://www.copaair.com/sites/cc/en/nuevoprograma/pages/nuevoprograma.aspx

2travel2know2

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:16 am

Quoting greenmow (Reply 15):
Copa Airlines will terminate its participation in MilagePlus and starts its own loyalty program in July 2015.

Right now, CM PTY hub passengers connecting with KL, AF and IB European flights which bear CM code-share can't earn miles with MileagePlus.
If CM wants to be more competitive, it has to allow its passengers to earn miles on its European code-share flights.
TP advertising here has pushed very hard that passengers flying to/from Europe with TP earn miles with MileagePlus, pretty sure somebody at CM headquarters noticed that and reacted.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:29 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 14):
I mentioned it in thread part 58

Ooops. I didn't read it carefully.   
UA IAH-SJO will launch a red-eye flight from December 11 and it seems to be a response to NK.
I expect more reactions on UA due to the protectionism of its own market: IAH-Central America.

Regards.

CAMSky

Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:21 am

Very Interesting.

Rumor has it that the guys at VECA Airlines just got their FAA 129.14 permits – which is quite an amazing step for that Project that has been lingering for the longest time ever. What I cannot understand is that they Fired a lot of their Technical Team right after the FAA Audits – I wonder if the FAA knows That?.        

A friend deep in the Lawyer Community said they are about to be Sued by some of its Pilots, apparently VECA does not want to Sign their Contracts, they are withholding money, even when their "Take Off is pretty near". That would definitely speak really bad on their Organization, Leadership, and the kind of Airline they are trying to become. It will destroy any image they might have to the Public Eye at this moment.

Do you guys know anything about their Fleet Status? – These guys had signed 3 Aircraft, all 319s - Last I heard from friends in BOG, the story went something like this:

N1235V – It is Parked in COOPESA, Apparently on some Heavy Mtto, or who knows what. I used to see it parked in the Military hangars at SAL when landing on 07 at SAL, and that one I think it was All White, No Markings, nothing. Airbus had requested this bird to even have its Fresh Engines taken off and sent to the Shop again, apparently the VECA's team had not performed Maintenance and Conservation according to Airbus Programs. Was this the first one or second aircraft for VECA?. Any Ticos know if the bird is still in SJO or SAL?

N12821V – It is the one VECA is using for testing flights, and etcs. That one was also parked at the Military Hangars. I saw it a lot of times when landing at SAL. There was a picture running around of this Aircraft while it was painted at Interjet’s TLC MRO, and it showed the name of : "Vuela Airlines" with a Weird Blue/White tail as Livery.

N319VU – It is parked at Goodyear, apparently VECA Already started to get into issues with Leasing Companies and
Aircraft Payments, they signed it with AWAS Leasing, and all of the Sudden they did not want it anymore. That one also had Vuela Airlines Markings on them. This one also had a Weird Blue/White tail as Livery, but a bit different than the N1821V. Does anyone have pictures of these Aircraft? It would be great if anyone could post Pictures of these Birds!... Three Different Liveries?!?.

Drumrolls as per what will happen next.

Today the Government just announced free Public Transportation for the not yet launched "Metrobus" program, or Sitramss I think it's called. Funny enough, it will be "Free" until the next Midterm Elections - what a Joke!. I think these people are running full blast to Launch this "Airline" Before the Elections, and give free tickets as political favors.... which will end in a rather interesting Story for VECA, even more with Angry Pilots filing for Legal Protection and Suing the Engines out of VECA.

I still hate paying $700 When I come to Central America and have to fly internally... VECA was my Hope!, but as things sound - Not for now my friends.

CAMSky

yellowtail

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:19 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 17):
UA IAH-SJO will launch a red-eye flight from December 11 and it seems to be a response to NK.

It was announced prior to NK announcement, but maybe they knew about it.

viaggiare

Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:04 pm

Quoting CAMSky (Reply 18):
it showed the name of : "Vuela Airlines"

VECA applied here for registration of service mark VUELAIR back in June of this year (solicitud Nº 2014-0003658, published in the Costa Rican Official Gazette). They did the same thing in Nicaragua, along with three others: VUELA AIRLINES, VUELAIRLINES, and VUELA AIRWAYS.
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

viaggiare

Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:39 pm

From the previous (#58) iteration of this thread..

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 178):
So lets say the contenders are BLB, SJO, GUA for now.....what about ISSS? Good long runway. Lords knows the Salvadorans are pissed at AV and are trying desperately to lure carriers there.

Also remember the Routes Americas event the Salvadorans hosted back in February, when a high-ranking 5Z official said they were "seeing the possibilities of a route to El Salvador or of having a base in El Salvador" due to its "enormous tourism potential as well as its huge diaspora community abroad". Yet nothing has come of that so far.

yellowtail

Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:37 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 21):
Also remember the Routes Americas event the Salvadorans hosted back in February, when a high-ranking 5Z official said they were "seeing the possibilities of a route to El Salvador or of having a base in El Salvador" due to its "enormous tourism potential as well as its huge diaspora community abroad". Yet nothing has come of that so far.

Indeed they did. I was there. It was also around election time and the front page of the paper was plaster with WN announces pax service to SAL too.

Never believe anything in a latin newspaper around election time

2travel2know2

Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:31 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 22):
Never believe anything in a latin newspaper around election time

That means before and after elections.
Latest Panamanian example: News about Panama's president wishing IB would fly BCN-PTY.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

mt99

Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:49 pm

Today the Government just announced free Public Transportation for the not yet launched "Metrobus" program, or Sitramss I think it's called. Funny enough, it will be "Free" until the next Midterm Elections - what a Joke!. I think these people are running full blast to Launch this "Airline" Before the Elections, and give free tickets as political favors....

What a Joke.

What sad state of affairs. VECA will be giving free trips to Iran and Venezeula soon.

These people have no shame.
Step into my office, baby

viaggiare

Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:23 pm

Any Ticos know if the bird is still in SJO or SAL?

She was in SJO yesterday, parked outside the COOPESA hangar.

CAMSky

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:39 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 20):
VECA applied here for registration of service mark VUELAIR back in June of this year (solicitud Nº 2014-0003658, published in the Costa Rican Official Gazette)

It seems they Protected that Brand Across several Countries, maybe that will end up being the One they use Commercially if they ever take off.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 24):
What a Joke.

What sad state of affairs. VECA will be giving free trips to Iran and Venezeula soon.

These people have no shame.

I could not agree more, they have no shame... free rides to Venezuela, and a lot of Jobs for their Political friends. They owe a Maintenance Supply Company more than $200K USD, they have hired the Security services of a New (Non Aviation Experienced) Security Company, owned by the General Manager of ALBA, they are located at a building owned by the General Manager of ALBA (Which he bought for the sole purpose of renting it to VECA at twice the going market rates).

Why to get into the Airline Business?, Because they get free Fuel?, even when all the fuel in the world, the Airline Business is so complex, and you need smart people at the helm, not Political Aficionados.

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 25):
She was in SJO yesterday, parked outside the COOPESA hangar

Thanks for the Picture Viaggiare!!, I will be in SJO in a couple of weeks, will pay attention and look for it. Has any work been performed on that bird?

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:16 am

Emergency declared at SJO on November 24th when the ferry flight AV SJO-SAL suffered a bird congestion on the engine one.
The 319 returned to SJO and had a safety landing.

http://www.nacion.com/sucesos/accide...rriza-emergencia_0_1453254880.html

Regards.

yellowtail

Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:12 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 27):
The 319 returned to SJO and had a safety landing.

Glad to hear it turned out safe. As it should. AV not having a good few days with with aircraft. wasn't there another issue with one in BOG over the weekend?

greenmow

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:33 pm

The proposed schedule for the new PTY-David-PTY route:

CM148 PTY-DAV 7.55 - 8.59 E90
CM149 DAV-PTY 9.29 - 10.20

CM152 PTY-DAV 17.15 - 18.19 E90
CM153 DAV-PTY 19.14 - 20.05

Starting January 15, 2015

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:16 am

Avianca launches charter flights in November and December involving Central America: AV GYE-PTY, AV UIO-PTY and AV GUA-MCO.
Equipment: 319/320.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 28):
wasn't there another issue with one in BOG over the weekend?

AV BOG-RCH supposedly diverted to Bucaramanga on November 22nd due to a sick passenger.

Quoting greenmow (Reply 29):
The proposed schedule for the new PTY-David-PTY route:

CM148 PTY-DAV 7.55 - 8.59 E90
CM149 DAV-PTY 9.29 - 10.20

CM152 PTY-DAV 17.15 - 18.19 E90
CM153 DAV-PTY 19.14 - 20.05

Starting January 15, 2015

Impressive !
Copa Airlines resumes their operations in Chiriqui more than 30 years later as 14x weekly with E90. My vote is for CM DAV-MIA in the mid-term, if the airline wouldn't follow their instincts.
I concur that CM PTY-DAV is oriented to the international traffic through healthy connections at PTY.
CM PTY-DAV may not be focused on the local demand. Air Panama dislikes these new planned flights.
CM DAV-MGA is not forming part of this equation. Maybe on Air Panama, like 7P DAV-SJO.

Regards.

yellowtail

Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:33 am

Congrats to CM on PTY-DAV. Long overdue.

Now only two more "long overdue" routes remain. BZE and BGI

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:13 am

One more picture from Paitilla aerodrome taken in 1996:

Regards.

2travel2know2

Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:02 pm

I take the news of CM returning to DAV as a purely domestic route from PTY with a grain of salt.
If CM will require domestic passengers to check-in 2 hours prior to departure and the flight is timed to 1h05m added to that that getting to PTY isn't that easy, 7P will still have an edge on airport access, check-in time and flying time.
With the Panamerican Highway widen to 4 lanes, driving time between Panama and David will be hopefully lees than 5 hours.
A passenger flying CM PTY DAV could account spending up to 5 hours traveling time between leaving home/hotel and arriving to destination in DAV.
I'll keep saying that for CM business model, DAV as an en-route stop to SJO/MGA/MIA would have work better for DAV international O/D.
Bear in mind international arriving passengers heading to DAV will have to go thru (long) immigration queues, (a long) wait to claim baggage, go thru (long and hideous) customs inspections queues, drop baggage and walk to PTY domestic gate to board connecting flight to DAV
Just imagine what would happen if a DAV bound passenger has to wait for his baggage, the baggage doesn't arrive, has to make a claim at PTY and loses the connecting flight to DAV.
Hope I'm mistaken but IMHO, CM trying to please some people who want to fly PTY-DAV domestic could eventually hurt CM DAV operation..
I'm not on CM's payroll.

PTYtoDCA

Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:16 pm

I like the CM schedule it allows for good connections and for a longer day trip, also the morning schedule avoids rush hours(tranque), if you do web check in you only need to be 1 hour before your flight Air Panama requires the same amount of time (I've done both in under 45), it will work for local traffic because for the people who can afford to fly PTY and PAC are almost the same distance time wise. The highway to David won't be ready for at least 2+ years and never underestimate the reputation cops has built, unlike Air Panama whose flights are always delayed.
ignorance is bliss

yellowtail

Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:59 pm

9N is now up to 10 Cessna Caravans…..lastest seen here before (evidently) heading to the paint shop.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tropic-Air-Belize/340653164591?ref=hl

juanchito

Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:07 am

Veca Airlines.
Started selling tickets between the following destinations SAL, SJO and PTY.

http://vecaairlines.com/

flights are for sale buy one and fly two.

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

CAMSky

Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:31 am

Hmmm, So I guess Mr. CAMSky was not that far off reality, or was not that far off radar with VECA's "Inminent Launch". - Oh!, CAMSky is me!   - Apologies should be in order.    

Kidding asside, let's see how long this lasts. Those fares are about $15 USD per Pax + Taxes, all Seats at that price. I guess their Revenue Management Team is either a Guerrilla Apointee, or they just don't have none.

Those A319s will be burning a mountain of Cash at those fares. Underutilized crews, and fatal Aircraft Utilization are in order as well for thar Schedule. Learning Curve anyone?.

Any idea on how they got those SJO-Howard Panama rights?.

yellowtail

Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:23 pm

Quoting juanchito (Reply 36):
flights are for sale buy one and fly two.

Perfect way to loose lots of money.

Quoting CAMSky (Reply 37):
- Apologies should be in order.

Indeed from here too.

Although I really don't know how long they will last. Were they not supposed to operate out of ISSS vs SAL?

CAMSky

Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:09 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 38):
Although I really don't know how long they will last

With fares of $15 USD + Taxes on all their seats, I hardly think they have a clue of what they are doing.

Were they not supposed to operate out of ISSS vs SAL

The Government would love for that to Happen, but there is no viable infrastructure at Ilopango at the Moment, also, they access to that part of the City Collpases 3 times a day.

Perfect way to loose lots of money

They will loose a boat load of Cash with this announced operation. Way too sad!, I don't even think this will trigger a response from Avianca or COPA.

yellowtail

Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:59 pm

Quoting CAMSky (Reply 39):
The Government would love for that to Happen, but there is no viable infrastructure at Ilopango at the Moment, also, they access to that part of the City Collpases 3 times a day.

Can you explain what you mean by "collapses". I have been to ISSS a few times. Not in the best part of town, but definitely an alternative.

CAMSky

Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 40):
Can you explain what you mean by "collapses"

Agree, it's an alternative, but Paxs would have to really plan ahead to get there. The main road that takes you to Ilopango has been reduced by 50% in Capacity, as an average, on Peak hours it takes you about 50 Minutes to cross about 2 miles of Road + 20 Minutes to Enter "Downtown" in the City.

Since the Construction of Sitramss (Dedicated Bus Service connecting Soyapango), that would be the reality for that part of town, a complete disaster in terms of City Planning, restricting car traffic to 1 lane per road direction.

At the moment, there is no sign for Improvement. I landed in Ilopango about a month ago (At 4PM) and it took us about 1.5 hours to get to the Hilton Hotel.

yellowtail

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:00 pm

Quoting CAMSky (Reply 41):
Agree, it's an alternative, but Paxs would have to really plan ahead to get there. The main road that takes you to Ilopango has been reduced by 50% in Capacity, as an average, on Peak hours it takes you about 50 Minutes to cross about 2 miles of Road + 20 Minutes to Enter "Downtown" in the City.

Since the Construction of Sitramss (Dedicated Bus Service connecting Soyapango), that would be the reality for that part of town, a complete disaster in terms of City Planning, restricting car traffic to 1 lane per road direction.

At the moment, there is no sign for Improvement. I landed in Ilopango about a month ago (At 4PM) and it took us about 1.5 hours to get to the Hilton Hotel.

But that's short term right....once construction finishes, it should be faster to downtown from ISSS than SAL

mt99

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:21 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 42):
But that's short term right....once construction finishes, it should be faster to downtown from ISSS than SAL

No. I understand that traffic will be limited to 1 lane each way permanently as the Bus Service lane will take up the rest of the road.

"Con la construcción del Sitramss, las arterias para el tráfico privado se redujeron en un 50%, o más en algunos puntos.

"La infraestructura del Sitramss ya está poniendo en apuros a los automovilistas, especialmente los que circulan por la Alameda Juan Pablo II, donde los carriles pasaron de tres a uno en ambos sentidos", expone el experto."

http://www.elsalvador.com/mwedh/nota...leta.asp?idCat=47673&idArt=9064672

These people bring idiocy to a complete new level. And now they are running an airline funded by Papa Chavez. How comforting.
Step into my office, baby

CAMSky

Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:02 am

Quoting mt99 (Reply 43):
These people bring idiocy to a complete new level. And now they are running an airline funded by Papa Chavez. How comforting.

And they love to prove your point. Their first fight just took Off SAL-SJO... it's a Chartered Air Panama Boeing 737. It's not even their metal, their pilots. Why in the world would anyone do that? $30 Fare plus taxes in a Chartered Plane.

Complete New Level Indeed... Why use my Aircraft that I am paying, if I can leave them on the ground and rent another one?

PlunaCRJ

Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:10 am

Quoting CAMSky (Reply 39):

With fares of $15 USD + Taxes on all their seats, I hardly think they have a clue of what they are doing.

Yes, it doesn´t sound sustainable. On the other hand, it does make sense to start operations by doing a splash.... Who would fly with them any other way?

2travel2know2

Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:13 pm

CM PTY-DAV flights re-start this January from www.tvn-2.com in Spanish.
Panama's president J C Varela, CM boss P Heilbron and PTY airport manager J Fidanque Maduro confirmed CM return to DAV this January with twice daily PTY-DAV-PTY domestic flights.
PTY airport manages DAV so that's why PTY manager was there for the announcement.
Return fares are set to be USD160 (no word if taxes or surcharges included or on senior discounts).

I'd think CM eventually will find out the passenger composition of the purely domestic PTY-DAV and those connecting to/from CM international flights. IMHO, if the international connecting traffic is up to 80% CM should better offer PTY-DAV-PTY as an international connection and let passengers board to DAV from its hub gates to go thru immigration and customs over-there.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

nomorerjs

Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:57 am

My friends in Chicago say ORD-GUA may happen next year.

yellowtail

Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:09 am

Quoting nomorerjs (Reply 47):

Bookings for UA ORD BZE have been very good….the flight has been extended through Aug now.

juanchito

Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:21 am

Quoting nomorerjs (Reply 47):

Excellent, hope I have always say this route will work perfectly 2 or 3 times a week.

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos