Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

iowaman
Topic Author

Iowa Aviation Thread

Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:36 pm

Rather than post numerous topics about airports around the state, I figured I would start a thread including airports such as DSM, CID, ALO, SUX, MCW, FOD and BRL. Feel free to post any news about airports around the state.

Mason City (MCW) finally has air service again as of November 17 after about a year with none. Air Choice one has picked up the EAS contract with four daily flights to ORD (two on the weekends). Unfortunately due to the equipment type being used MCW will likely never see passenger numbers that XJ and even ZK brought in to MSP. Here is the outbound schedule:

Leaving Mason City at 4:30 a.m., arriving in Chicago at 6:25 a.m.

Leaving Mason City at 10 a.m., arriving in Chicago at 11:55 a.m.

Leaving Mason City at 12:45 p.m., arriving in Chicago at 2:40 p.m.

Leaving Mason City at 6:10 p.m., arriving in Chicago at 8:05 p.m.

Two flights are scheduled on Saturdays and Sundays:

Leaving Mason City at 7 a.m., arriving in Chicago at 8:55 a.m.

Leaving Mason City at 2 p.m., arriving in Chicago at 3:55 p.m.

Full news article on the starting day available here: http://globegazette.com/news/local/a...a-777d-596b-b4d5-bd0d48b5341e.html

FOD will also be getting EAS service on Air Choice One effective February 23. Service will be to STL (schedules not yet published). Source: http://www.omaha.com/news/iowa/airli...4-688d-11e4-95bc-93709b6441bc.html

Frontier unfortunately ended DEN-SUX service October 23 with no plans to return. This leaves SUX with just two daily EAS AA connection ORD flights. Source: http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/loc...f-bf00-5df1-bda9-4f61bb569c16.html

Frontier is also suspending DEN-CID from early January to mid-April, when it returns 3x weekly. DEN-DSM will be 3x weekly Jan-April, returning daily at the end of April.

Allegiant is returning to LAX-CID June 3 and LAX-DSM June 5 both twice weekly. Good news for these markets.

AA/US is returning mainline on DSM-PHX (2x A319) in February for several weeks. Service appears to be 3x CR9 before that.

[Edited 2014-11-23 15:42:49]

nssd70

RE: Iowa Aviation Thread

Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:42 pm

Nice to see Frontier going back to weekly at DSM. I wonder if DSM-CLT will go to mainline? They flew mainline for a month or so back in September.

Doug

evanbu

Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:36 pm

How is WN performing in DSM? I've heard from several folks that WN is doing incredible in DSM.

planespotting

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:52 pm

WN's very happy with DSM.

From an Iowa standpoint, what i've heard anecdotally and noted in a little research, DSM is the clear winner for Iowa service. CID, DBQ, SUX, ALO and MLI (I count them even though they are in IL because at least 50 percent of their pax are from eastern Iowa) aren't doing awesome. Mainly i'm basing this on the number of frequencies and >50 seat RJs going to and from their hubs. DSM on the other hand, is getting mainline from every one of its legacy carriers (DL, US, AA, UA), along with obviously having three WN flights a day, and then Allegiant and Frontier as well.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

dbo861

Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:39 pm

Quoting planespotting (Reply 3):
WN's very happy with DSM.

That's great, but when are they going to add more flights/destinations? I'm hoping they add a DEN nonstop soon. It's a more convenient connecting point than LAS for much of the west coast, and that would allow the DSM-LAS flight to focus more on O&D traffic. I live in Tacoma, WA, and flying all the way down to LAS to connect to DSM is so far out of the way..it's almost quicker to backtrack to MDW.

CIDFlyer

Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:41 pm

Quoting iowaman (Thread starter):
Rather than post numerous topics about airports around the state, I figured I would start a thread including airports such as DSM, CID, ALO, SUX, MCW, FOD and BRL. Feel free to post any news about airports around the state.

Thank you Iowaman for starting this thread!

Quoting planespotting (Reply 3):
CID, DBQ, SUX, ALO and MLI (I count them even though they are in IL because at least 50 percent of their pax are from eastern Iowa) aren't doing awesome.

Not so fast there, planespotting my friend   I cant speak for the other airports but CID is doing gangbusters in terms of passengers this year. For the 11th straight month CID has posted all time record passenger numbers. Link to article:
http://www.eiairport.org/11th-straig...ort-time-record-passenger-traffic/

Yes compared to DSM service wise everything else pales, they have mainline to ATL, DFW, DEN, ORD and PHX coming up, CLT is doing great and WN. Whats funny is that people predicted G4 would pull out after WN arrived but they are still doing good there and F9 is still going. As far as CID, we have a major terminal expansion and renovation going on, another jet bridge is being added to the B level gates and eventually an entire new B concourse will be built. While mainline only is still on G4 and F9, AA has upgraded to the CR7's on the DFW and ORD routes (first time since the TWA merger AA has offered a first class product in our market). Granted its not mainline but a step in the right direction. DL has upgraded 2 CRJ's to CR9's to ATL. They still run CRJ's to MSP/DTW. Hopefully at somepoint we can see some larger RJ's on those routes, especially for the heavily traveled early morning flights out/late evening arrival flights. UA has consistently run CR7's/E70's to ORD/DEN. G4 will bring back LAX next summer and I was pleased to hear today that F9 will be back to DEN after a 3 month seasonal drawback to DEN so that is encouraging news given F9's recent model change focusing on larger markets. CID is doing very well, that's attributed to the strong economy in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City metro corridor. Hopefully down the line maybe DL would throw a 717 or 319 to ATL and maybe AA a 319 to DFW. I think it definitely can be supported.

Mason City (MCW) finally has air service again as of November 17 after about a year with none. Air Choice one has picked up the EAS contract with four daily flights to ORD (two on the weekends).

I hope they find success on this route, they seem to do well with their BRL flights. The planes are small but their product looks roomy and first class like. My aunt and uncle used to live in BRL (they have since relocated to Ankeny) and used the service to STL and loved it. I've even been tempted to drive down and use it for a weekend to ORD as their rates are reasonable. ORD has such a draw for the city itself and the connections that can be made so hope MCW takes advantage of the service.

[Edited 2014-11-24 15:47:44]

[Edited 2014-11-24 15:50:12]

planespotting

Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:21 pm

Quoting dbo861 (Reply 4):
That's great, but when are they going to add more flights/destinations?

Supposedly it's still due to a lack of aircraft coupled with drawing up DAL thanks for the end of the WA. Seems pretty plausible too. But maybe by the time you move to Laredo it's possible they'll be adding DEN   (that is, if they want to add another route to the already ultra-competitive front-range market.)

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 5):
Not so fast there, planespotting my friend

I stand corrected - I seem to check out all the Iowa flights on a monthly or bimonthly basis, although it has probably been about two months since I checked CID and MLI, and you're right, those are some big upgrades, especially for CID service to ATL (for a long time there was only one early morning CR7 flight CID-ATL and all the rest were CRJs, so that one in particular is a prominent upgrade, especially going into winter).
Do you like movies about gladiators?

CIDFlyer

Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:58 am

FOD will also be getting EAS service on Air Choice One effective February 23. Service will be to STL (schedules not yet published). Source: http://www.omaha.com/news/iowa/airli...4-688d-11e4-95bc-93709b6441bc.html

I'm curious as to why STL was chosen for FOD over ORD? I get that STL is the headquarters but ORD would offer so many more connections not to mention O&D. Maybe they wanted to differentiate the service between MCW & FOD?

Quoting planespotting (Reply 6):
I stand corrected - I seem to check out all the Iowa flights on a monthly or bimonthly basis, although it has probably been about two months since I checked CID and MLI, and you're right, those are some big upgrades, especially for CID service to ATL (for a long time there was only one early morning CR7 flight CID-ATL and all the rest were CRJs, so that one in particular is a prominent upgrade, especially going into winter).

no problem! I'm really pleased to see the growth going on here, planes seem to be full all the time and it is nice to see some of the 50 seaters be upgraded to 70 & 76 seat planes. Still would like to see some more mainline love from the legacies, I am hopeful at some point we will. I can remember the days not too long ago in fact in the late 90s, early 00's when we had M80s to STL, DC9's to MSP, 737's to ORD/DEN. Granted times changed but seeind DSM get some of that back gives me some hope. I would also like to see AA start CID-CLT. The airport has been trying to lure that route as well as a NYC and DCA flight. NYC they are trying to work with UA, but with the IAH flight not working out I have heard they are a bit reluctant to overfly ORD. NYC and DCA are tops on the wish list as well as CLT. I have also heard they would like to see G4 start MYR as well. PS CID just hired a new airport director and it was announced today http://www.kcrg.com/subject/news/bus...wa-airport-director-hired-20141126

CIDFlyer

Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:57 am

looks like Air Choice One has announced their schedule out of Ft Dodge. Wish them success in both MCW & FOD!

http://www.airchoiceone.com/air-choi...dge-ia-fare-structure-and-schedule

bjorn14

Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:54 pm

Does MLI have FIS capability? I am thinking Mexican/Caribbean charters.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

CIDFlyer

Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:28 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 9):
Does MLI have FIS capability?

I think they are on call for the occasional charter.

AmericanAir88

Re: Iowa Aviation Thread

Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:53 am

I am going to revive this thread. I have some questions about the eastern Iowa airports. How are CID and MLI doing?

CID recently got a big renovation and has G4 flying to leisure markets in FL and the West Coast. They also have the legacies to their hubs, and a F9 flight to Denver.

MLI on the other hand is an older airport with hub only legacy flights. G4 still does some leisure service.

Is there any news regarding new activity at these airports? Could we potentially see a new airline like NK enter? Ive flown F9 to CID once and its a nice airport. How is the renovation going at CID?

It would be nice to hear some updates or future plans for these airports, especially CID which has potential.

RJNUT

Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:07 am

EAS markets FOD and MCW are out for bid and I would be VERY surprised if Air Choice ONE is awarded the contract again. They offer zero connectivity and even Skywest with 50 pax CRJ;s has bid.

dbo861

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:39 am

NK would fly to DSM if they started service to Iowa. I could see this possibly happen when air traffic returns to pre-Covid levels, and if the new terminal at DSM ever gets built.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos