ANA787
Topic Author

AS Announces PDX-STL,SEA-OKC/MKE

Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:21 pm

http://splash.alaskasworld.com/Newsr...s/ASstories/AS_20141125_045610.asp

Operated by skywest. E175 jets.

All daily year-round beginning July 1, 2015.

[Edited 2014-11-25 06:29:16]

PEK777

RE: AS Announces PDX-STL,SEA-OKC/MKE

Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:39 pm

Not sure about this. Obviously trying to beat Delta to the MKE-SEA market, but outside of HKG, can't every Asia-Pacific Destination be reached much easier via DTW? I go to MKE a lot, and would take a DTW transfer over SEA any day. Is Alaska trying to compete just on O/D? Southwest is on the market, and it seems like it would be hard to justify multiple carriers on the route.

If I am going to Alaska from MKE, I can easily go via ORD, MSP, or DEN. Anyways, good to see a new carrier at MKE. I assume they will be in D, lot's of space to work with.

enilria

Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:51 pm

Quoting PEK777 (Reply 1):
Obviously trying to beat Delta to the MKE-SEA market

Everything East of the Mississippi River is considerably longer via SEA. I'm not sure these were directed at DL. It appears to me that the AS strategy has shifted. No retaliation here.

jetblastdubai

Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:51 pm

From the article:

"SkyWest has purchased seven E175 aircraft to fly on behalf of Alaska under a capacity purchase agreement (CPA). The first three aircraft will arrive in the summer of 2015, and the remaining four will be delivered in Q1 2016."

Three daily routes with only 3 planes. Not a whole lot of flexibility in the event of a mechanical issue or cancellation. Won't these aircraft have to cycle through maintenance periods before the remaining planes show up in early 2016?
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

AWACSooner

Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:34 pm

About time OKC got this service...especially with the KC-46 depot being built at KTIK.

joeljack

Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Interesting indeed! I wonder if OMA-SEA will switch to the E-175 as well (currently CR7)? I assume if it does, it won't happen until Q1 2016 with the other 4 E-175's arrive. Who knows.

psa1011

Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:48 pm

Great to hear STL finally getting a PDX flight again, the first time since AA/TWA (not including the brief seasonal run by Frontier last summer).

ouboy79

Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:51 pm

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 4):
About time OKC got this service...especially with the KC-46 depot being built at KTIK.

SEA is also one of the larger O&D markets from OKC without nonstop service. Finally happening. Won't be shocked if it eventually upgrades to a 737 at some point, or at least periodically, for mx positioning that is already done in OKC.

TVNWZ

Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:55 pm

Now, what will DL do in MKE? Will they leave the route to WN and AS? Or will they put something on the route? With DL's strong presence in MKE I can't see them just letting it slide. KNOPE2001 posted on another site the T-100's that show WN having on board load of 96.8% MKESEA. Looks like there is room there for AS. Can't see DL sitting on the sidelines here.

HPRamper

Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:29 pm

STL and OKC are two fairly large markets with traditionally large AA FF bases. Not sure about MKE in that regard, but might we see AA codes on these flights?

SANFan

Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:59 pm

And the SEA-contest between AS and DL continues. A new fleet type for AS -- great to see -- with 2 brand new routes from SEA.

Nice to see PDX getting something new as well. (Is it certain that F9 has left the PDX-STL market for good? Not that it's a surprise but I just wondered.)

It seems to be shaping up that 2015 will be an interesting and dynamic year for AS and the PNW.

bb

hiflyeras

Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:26 pm

Very happy to see that these new additions to AS's CPA agreement with OO will be aircraft with First Class, wifi and seat power! Maybe this means all of AS's OO and QX aircraft will be eventually retrofitted as well? I'm sure AS flyers and particularly Mileage Plan members would love to see that happen.

tjwgrr

Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:47 pm

Wonder if the -175's will wear the Alaska scheme, and if so, will the branding be 'Skywest' (like Horizon) or 'Alaska?
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

lhpdx

Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:57 pm

This is awesome news for both Seattle and PDX!

SLCSFOPDX

Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:58 pm

It will probably be Alaska branding. I was hoping for the following expansion from AS...SEA-CMH/BNA, SLC-DFW/SMF, PDX-EWR.

doug_or

Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:06 pm

Quoting tjwgrr (Reply 12):
Wonder if the -175's will wear the Alaska scheme, and if so, will the branding be 'Skywest' (like Horizon) or 'Alaska?

Both Horizon and SkyWest (who alreayd flys 7 CRJ-700s for AS) already use the Alaska Branding. The Horizon schemed aircraft were phased out a few years ago.
When in doubt, one B pump off

SEAtown

Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:12 pm

Surprised PDX-STL came before PDX-DEN and EWR.
Would love to sea PDX-DEN back even with the 175.
"When you go out to battle against your enemies and see horses and chariots and people more numerous than you, do not be afraid of them; for the LORD your God is with you." Deuteronomy 20:1

ANA787
Topic Author

Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:13 pm

Quoting SLCSFOPDX (Reply 14):
It will probably be Alaska branding. I was hoping for the following expansion from AS...SEA-CMH/BNA, SLC-DFW/SMF, PDX-EWR.

You won't be seeing that growth from SLC. Especially not with those poor load factors SLC-SFO/SJC. BTW, SLC-SJC is being down gauged. SLC, nowhere close to being an AS hub or focus, is not a priority for AS. DL is really invading their SEA turf now. They need all the lift at SEA they can get. Not at SLC. You won't be seeing much growth if any with AS at SLC. DL already has the SLC routes covered. Expect AS route cuts at SLC to defend their SEA hub.

SEA and PDX on the other hand, which are AS hubs, I too wouldn't be surprised to see SEA-CMH/BNA and maybe PDX-EWR (if they don't use that frame for something else from SEA).

azjubilee

Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:59 pm

And where are the folks who just recently blasted DL for expanding further in SEA using RJs? Good for AS for getting into the large RJ business!

sw733

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:02 pm

Quoting SEAtown (Reply 16):
PDX-DEN

Seems to be plenty of competition on this route - WN, F9, UA

alaskan9974

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:02 pm

Quoting ANA787 (Thread starter):

In the article "The E175 is new for the Alaska brand and fills a specific need to serve ‘long, thin routes' – destinations that are too distant for our regional aircraft, but currently don't have enough customer demand to fill a mainline jet," said Andrew Harrison"

Intra-Alaska in the Future? Introduction of the remainder fleet in Q1 2016 is in the same time-frame as the date of the exit of the 734 combi's.

Maybe wishful thinking, as I would much prefer the jet over the Q400. Maybe the CPA will be expanded to include ANC.

[Edited 2014-11-25 11:05:19]

ANA787
Topic Author

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:24 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 19):

PDX-DEN

Seems to be plenty of competition on this route - WN, F9, UA

I've been expecting this to return.

F9 is going down to 2x daily on the route (down from 6x daily).
UA has also slashed frequency and downsized aircraft.

If AS is going to jump back into the market(they'd be stupid not to) then now is the time.

PDX-DEN is also PDX's largest market by passenger numbers. Odd that AS doesn't have at least something in this market.

steex

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:59 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 10):
Nice to see PDX getting something new as well. (Is it certain that F9 has left the PDX-STL market for good? Not that it's a surprise but I just wondered.)
F9 doesn't have STL-PDX on its route map anymore (even as a seasonal service) and it doesn't show up for sale no matter how far out you look on their website. In fact, they have very limited ability to serve the market at all with the schedules currently posted for 2015 because they don't even offer a westbound connecting itinerary STL-DEN-PDX many days.

Edit to add: I think this has the potential to be a good route for AS, but I'm a little surprised to see it on the heels of the added frequency on SEA-STL. I figured the additional capacity on the SEA route suggested they were pleased with the STL market and wanted to improve their offering, but assumed it would mean PDX service wasn't imminent. It will be interesting to see how they do jumping up to 3 STL departures many days in the latter half of summer.

[Edited 2014-11-25 12:14:11]

tjwgrr

Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:34 pm

Quoting doug_Or (Reply 15):
Both Horizon and SkyWest (who alreayd flys 7 CRJ-700s for AS) already use the Alaska Branding. The Horizon schemed aircraft were phased out a few years ago.

Gotcha... like this:

http://www.skywest.com/assets/Uploads/FleetImages/CRJ700-1.jpg
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

mikesairways

Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:48 pm

Quoting ANA787 (Reply 17):
BTW, SLC-SJC is being down gauged.

When does it get downgauged - Dash or CRJ?
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

EA CO AS

Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:58 pm

Quoting mikesairways (Reply 24):

CR7
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

SANFan

Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:00 pm

When does it get downgauged - Dash or CRJ

I know it's a CRJ on the March 8 schedule.

However, the times are also completely different, with the r/t at mid-day rather than late at night or first thing in the morning. IMO, it's really an improved schedule.

And many of the other SLC flights have been re-worked as well. Not as many are the late night e/b and early a.m. w/b flights. Looks like AS took advantage of a major schedule re-work (can I say "optimization"?) to make lots of improvements to their SLC ops. (Maybe it helps them deal with the gate situation in Utah as well.)

bb

VCEflyboy

Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:01 pm

With all due respect for AS, I think they are scraping the barrel with all these new destinations.
They are a great airline, but obviously cannot compete with DL. Its David and Goliath.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Quoting HiFlyerAS (Reply 11):
Very happy to see that these new additions to AS's CPA agreement with OO will be aircraft with First Class, wifi and seat power! Maybe this means all of AS's OO and QX aircraft will be eventually retrofitted as well? I'm sure AS flyers and particularly Mileage Plan members would love to see that happen.

This is the best thing to come out of the DL build-up in Seattle as far as I'm concerned. Thrilled to see the new Ejets coming, and with a product to match mainline. Awesome news.

Quoting azjubilee (Reply 18):
And where are the folks who just recently blasted DL for expanding further in SEA using RJs?

They were way off-base in my opinion. The Compass E175's are likely about the best ride out there from my limited Ejet experience. Why fight with 150+ people in a 3-3 configuration when you can relax with 75 other people in a 2-2 configuration?

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 25):

CR7

It'll be fine in the marketplace too. If a DL passenger complains about trying AS and getting put on a CRJ, they should be laughed at. "Delta" is practically synonymous with "CRJ".

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 27):

With all due respect for AS, I think they are scraping the barrel with all these new destinations.
They are a great airline, but obviously cannot compete with DL.

Uh-huh....  

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

mikesairways

Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:08 pm

Honestly I'm actually more surprised by the downgauage as opposed to actually pulling out completely. I guess they are having some sort of O&D demand after all on that route?
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

steex

Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 26):
Looks like AS took advantage of a major schedule re-work (can I say "optimization"?) to make lots of improvements to their SLC ops.

As far as I'm concerned, you can pretend this is a WN thread and proclaim this to be the biggest schedule change ever!   

They are a great airline, but obviously cannot compete with DL. Its David and Goliath.

I'm not sure I understand why these are scraping the bottom of the barrel. These are routes where there is a market to be served, and two of them have no non-stop competition. AS's success on SEA-OMA is a comparable example, and most other airlines serve routes of this size from their hubs, so they're just adding incrementally where it makes sense.

Frankly, these are probably better moves than knee-jerk reactions against DL. There's a decent case to be made that AS has a stronger path forward by continuing to enhance its portfolio with profitable service rather than nuclear responses on routes as DL announces them.

Noise

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:31 pm

I'll disagree with you on this one; there are still roughly a dozen destinations out of SEA that have O/D numbers have above 100 PPDEW and are not currently served non-stop. These include the likes of RDU, CLT, IND, etc. All would potentially be very suitable markets out of SEA with AS. Scrapping the barrel? I wouldn't put it like that.

INFINITI329

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:51 pm

Where are these jets coming from?

SANFan

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:55 pm

I think there's little doubt that the low hanging fruit has been taken by AS, pretty much in both SEA and PDX. The routes they're picking now are not the big ripe apples, but the smaller ones that will take some time to grow. That does not, however, mean they're not worth going after.

It's great that AS has choices -- even more now -- of a/c size to make these smaller markets that much easier to serve profitably.

And of course, I continue to hope that once things settle down a bit in SEA, AS will do the same thing in other cities as well. No, I won't mention any specific markets that I might have in mind...  

bb

mikesairways

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:55 pm

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 32):

LGB I think has been axed from SEA or PDX.

MesaFlyGuy

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:16 pm

Quoting mikesairways (Reply 34):
Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 32):Where are these jets coming from?
LGB I think has been axed from SEA or PDX.

LGB was served by CRJ-700s though.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

psa1011

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:20 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 33):
And of course, I continue to hope that once things settle down a bit in SEA, AS will do the same thing in other cities as well. No, I won't mention any specific markets that I might have in mind...  

OK, which other SAN routes are you hoping for? 

I think SJC could use some more routes - ORD, BOS, PVR, MEX, etc.

steex

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:32 pm

Quoting psa1011 (Reply 36):
OK, which other SAN routes are you hoping for? 

I think SJC could use some more routes - ORD, BOS, PVR, MEX, etc.

Well, if AS is happy enough with STL to increase frequency on SEA-STL and start PDX-STL, then that may make SAN-STL somewhat more likely. Not to sound like a broken record, but it's a route with reasonable, steady demand year-round that only sees seasonal WN non-stop service.

Selfishly, I'd love to see AS face WN on SAN-SJC (even with the Q400) since they have a decent presence in both markets, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

cschleic

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:34 pm

Would love to sea PDX-DEN back even with the 175.
Quoting ANA787 (Reply 21):

PDX-DEN is also PDX's largest market by passenger numbers. Odd that AS doesn't have at least something in this market.

Bring back PDX - DEN!

They used to fly it in previous years. At the time, cutting it was explained as needing the planes for other routes, as Hawaii was being ramped up, and expansion to other cities in the east.

flight152

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:04 am

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 32):

Where they all come from. Brazil.

32andBelow

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:06 am

Airliners.net thinks the only place you can get a new airplane from, is by cancelling another route.

INFINITI329

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:14 am

Quoting flight152 (Reply 39):

I will uncomplicate the question, will these E175s be new or used? I was under the impression all the current E175s on order for OO are destined for UAX

oosnowrat

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:41 am

New. OO firmed up seven of its options for this deal.

rj777

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:45 am

I wonder what Concourse AS will operate out of at MKE? I think it'll be either D or E

F9Animal

Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:15 am

Yes! I was just asking a few weeks back if Alaska would ever have the 170 or 190. Granted it is Skywest metal, I can't wait to see these birds painted in AS colors. With as many talented artists we have on this site, I am surprised we haven't seen anyone post a pic of what she will look like yet!  
I Am A Different Animal!!

RWA380

Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:49 am

Quoting Joeljack (Reply 5):
Interesting indeed! I wonder if OMA-SEA will switch to the E-175 as well (currently CR7)? I assume if it does, it won't happen until Q1 2016 with the other 4 E-175's arrive. Who knows

I've read here on A.net folks speculating the route could support a 737, with consistently high LFs.

Quoting steex (Reply 30):
Frankly, these are probably better moves than knee-jerk reactions against DL. There's a decent case to be made that AS has a stronger path forward by continuing to enhance its portfolio with profitable service rather than nuclear responses on routes as DL announces them.

Well put, I'd venture to say at least two of these new routes have been on the AS radar before DL started their SEA buildup.

PDX-STL is a route with enough O/D to support a non-stop daily service. Then give consideration to the connections AS can offer via PDX to connect onto STL, places like MFR, EUG, PSC & RDM. I'd expect consistently high LFs.

Quoting Noise (Reply 31):
I'll disagree with you on this one; there are still roughly a dozen destinations out of SEA that have O/D numbers have above 100 PPDEW and are not currently served non-stop. These include the likes of RDU, CLT, IND, etc. All would potentially be very suitable markets out of SEA with AS. Scrapping the barrel? I wouldn't put it like that.

Agreed, AS has plenty of further viable markets to enter, if they so choose. One of the keys to AS success is making well planned additions where needed, they are good about targeting markets where they will be the dominant or only non-stop carrier.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

phxtravelboy

Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:57 am

Great news for MKE! I've been waiting for AS to serve this route. I expect this route to be upgauged to mainline within a year of service starting.

OzarkD9S

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:20 am

Quoting psa1011 (Reply 6):

Great to hear STL finally getting a PDX flight again, the first time since AA/TWA (not including the brief seasonal run by Frontier last summer).

Same here. PDX is AS's secret weapon against the DL SEA build-up. Now if they could maximize SJC and SAN, AS could almost blow off the DL assault on SEA.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

RWA380

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:36 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 33):
No, I won't mention any specific markets that I might have in mind

Really, you are going to leave us guessing?  
Quoting steex (Reply 37):
Well, if AS is happy enough with STL to increase frequency on SEA-STL and start PDX-STL, then that may make SAN-STL somewhat more likely. Not to sound like a broken record, but it's a route with reasonable, steady demand year-round that only sees seasonal WN non-stop service

Agreed if STL is doing well for AS, they should add SAN/LAX/SJC/SLC-STL and then start using STL as the new AS middle of the country hub.      

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 41):
I will uncomplicate the question, will these E175s be new or used? I was under the impression all the current E175s on order for OO are destined for UAX

Read reply 3 or this thread, it should answer your questions:
SkyWest Buying 7+16 E-175 For Alaska Routes (by Goldenshield Nov 25 2014 in Civil Aviation)

[Edited 2014-11-25 19:26:20]
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

knope2001

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:54 am

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 8):
Now, what will DL do in MKE? Will they leave the route to WN and AS? Or will they put something on the route? With DL's strong presence in MKE I can't see them just letting it slide. KNOPE2001 posted on another site the T-100's that show WN having on board load of 96.8% MKESEA. Looks like there is room there for AS. Can't see DL sitting on the sidelines here.

There are a number of larger SEA markets on AS which Delta isn't overflying yet, including some where Alaska has a monopoly. However I can't say all of Delta's SEA moves have fit my understanding, so who knows. I'd sooner expect Delta to jump on MKE-LAX, which so far th

Quoting Noise (Reply 31):
These include the likes of RDU, CLT, IND, etc

Does anyone know what the reliable range of the E175 is...specifically the version OO is getting?

The key to these three new long/thin markets is the range and size of the E175, and routes like CLT and RDU are far too long.

Of the three routes announced today, PDX-STL at 1708 miles is the longest. Assuming they can operate reliably westbound with a full load in winter, there are a handful of other possible long/thin markets they might have their eye on, mostly out of Portland. The next logical route to me is SEA-IND, but at 1866 I think it might be too long for the E75. So perhaps there will be more Portland markets.

1369 ….. pdx ….. oma
1426 ….. pdx ….. msp (DL nonstop)
1708 ….. pdx ….. stl longest of the new E175 routes announced today
1714 ….. pdx ….. sat
1715 ….. pdx ….. aus
1716 ….. pdx ….. mke
1825 ….. pdx ….. iah (UA nonstop)
1866 ….. sea ….. ind
1877 ….. pdx ….. ind
1953 ….. pdx ….. dtw (DL nonstop)
1973 ….. pdx ….. bna
1978 ….. sea ….. bna
2016 ….. sea ….. cmh
2021 ….. sea ….. cle
2050 ….. pdx ….. msy
2125 ….. sea ….. pit

[I]If the necessary yields are there[/I some of those markets should not have a hard time supporting an E75. But I think Indy, Nashville and further east are probably too far.

Quoting rj777 (Reply 43):
I wonder what Concourse AS will operate out of at MKE? I think it'll be either D or E

No word yet, but I would guess that someone will handle them, at least below-wing. If I had to guess it will be American, but I don't know how soon they're consolidating with US.

[Edited 2014-11-25 18:56:11]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos