Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lesfalls
Topic Author

Air Berlin Starting A Base In Bratislavia?

Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:18 am

Form this article it looks like AB is starting a base in Bratislava.IMO with them having a base in VIE it doesnt make sense of them to have a base in BTS.What are your thoughts on this?

Article: http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/ne...rt-bratislava-operations-next-year

Lesfalls

irshava

RE: Air Berlin Starting A Base In Bratislavia?

Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:29 am

I think the article is a bit vague but if you use the information provided, it will be a summer service from Bratislava to Brussels. I don't know if you can call this a base exactly, if they plan to operate only one route.

[Edited 2014-11-27 17:30:14]

lesfalls
Topic Author

Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:47 am

Quoting irshava (Reply 1):
I don't know if you can call this a base exactly

This is only what i forsee.

twa@fra

Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:25 am

Certainly it's far away from a base, but if your are strong in a region, why not serving more than one airport.
All your marketing & advertising efforts can cover both, e.g. also JetBlue does not only serve JFK, but more NYC airports, ok NYC area is "slightly" larger.
Of course you have the expense of additional infrastructure, but the most you subcontract anyhow, but as you are well known already you have the savings in advertising / marketing vs. opening somewhere totally new.

MesaFlyGuy

Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:28 am

Quoting twa@fra (Reply 3):

I agree. This won't be a base, rather AB trying to strengthen their service to one of their stronger regions.

andrej

Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:39 am

Not a base, just flights to BRU. But it would be wonderful to have more flights across Europe and base with several planes. BTS is quite quiet, it can handle much more traffic.

It seems as a plane will overnight in BTS (flight from VIE) and do a route between BTS and BRU, and fly back to VIE. In the afternoon it will the same and fly back to VIE (so no base / overnight).

Article in Slovak (but you can use translate.google.com):

http://ekonomika.sme.sk/c/7515080/fl...ratislavy-pise-rakusky-portal.html

Link that the article refers to:

http://www.austrianaviation.net/news...t-vor-dem-start-ab-bratislava.html

http://planecrazy.sk/index.php/sk

Info from Amadeus (provided in links mentioned above):

HG 8992 BTS 0600 BRU 0735 E90
HG 8993 BRU 0810 BTS 0955 E90

HG 8997 BTS 1025 VIE 1050 E90
HG 8996 VIE 1750 BTS 1815 E90

HG 8994 BTS 1845 BRU 2020 E90
HG 8995 BRU 2055 BTS 2240 E90
MO-FR

HG 8997 BTS 0815 VIE 0835 E90
SA

HG 8996 VIE 1750 BTS 1815 E90
HG 8994 BTS 1845 BRU 2020 E90
HG 8995 BRU 2055 BTS 2240 E90
SU

Cheers,

Andrej

[EDIT] Some say that proposed fly time of 1:30 is just to short. I tend to agree, as this can get you to FRA (from VIE). 1:45- 1:50 seems more appropriate. Maybe they expect no delays on departure / arrival and less congestion on ground in BTS (compared to VIE). But still, I do hope that Air Berlin / flyNiki will start their operations in BTS.

On other hand, it also suggests more capacity than necessary...spare plane or two.

And finally, will they offer ticket between BTS and VIE? Big grin

[Edited 2014-11-28 02:50:05]

SCQ83

Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:48 am

Are they going to sell BTS-VIE? Is that a joke? It is 87 km. (according to GMaps) from BTS to Vienna.

So does BRU has anything to do with the EU and Slovak EU people not happy flying to CRL with FR or driving to VIE to fly to BRU? Why doesn't FR start BRU-BTS?

marosbts

Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:57 am

:D Thanks for quoting my site

The rumor mill is spinning right now in terms of Bratislava. It is yet to be seen if the BTS-BRU route will be the only one or if there will be more. There are other routes spinning around (as mentioned CPH, FRA, MOW), but some I can not imagine, for example MOW. On the other side, CPH, FRA and MOW are routes which FlyNiki is to abandon out of Vienna. So this could be an attempt to operate these routes out of BTS where FlyNiki can have much lower costs than in Vienna. Also to be considered - the Eco tax is charged in Vienna, which immediately adds 8 EUR for every ticket. Niki Lauda, the then owner of FlyNiki has already threatened to move flights to BTS due to the Eco tax. The press conference is taking place next thursday so we will know for sure whats going on.

On a side note, the flights are supposed to be operated by ERJ190, which however are supposed to leave the fleet. Helvetic seems to be taking it over and the first is soon to be painted into Helvetic livery (2nd week of December). So the question is how FlyNiki wants to operate that route. Perhaps wet leasing the aircraft back from Helvetic would be an option in simmilar way how Swiss does curently.

PhilInBRN

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:06 am

Operating flights from BTS is just another example of the still prevalent strategic disorientation at AB/HG imo.

Quoting marosbts (Reply 7):
On a side note, the flights are supposed to be operated by ERJ190, which however are supposed to leave the fleet. Helvetic seems to be taking it over and the first is soon to be painted into Helvetic livery (2nd week of December). So the question is how FlyNiki wants to operate that route. Perhaps wet leasing the aircraft back from Helvetic would be an option in similar way how Swiss does curently.

Very interesting information. Where did you hear that the Helvetic E190s will come from HG?

andrej

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks for quoting my site

Pleasure!     

The rumor mill is spinning right now in terms of Bratislava. It is yet to be seen if the BTS-BRU route will be the only one or if there will be more. There are other routes spinning around (as mentioned CPH, FRA, MOW), but some I can not imagine, for example MOW. On the other side, CPH, FRA and MOW are routes which FlyNiki is to abandon out of Vienna. So this could be an attempt to operate these routes out of BTS where FlyNiki can have much lower costs than in Vienna. Also to be considered - the Eco tax is charged in Vienna, which immediately adds 8 EUR for every ticket. Niki Lauda, the then owner of FlyNiki has already threatened to move flights to BTS due to the Eco tax. The press conference is taking place next thursday so we will know for sure whats going on.

I presume that this maybe also a tactic to pressure VIE to lower / eliminate this new tax. Air Berlin / flyNiki was quite vocal about it and has threatened to transfer its ops to BTS. I was under - wrong - impression that VIE and AB have found some common ground.

IMHO, flights to FRA, BRU, LON are essential. There is a demand from BTS and to be honest it is quite a travesty that there is no direct connection to EU capital from Slovak capital (excluding FR flights to CRL, which are OK but I do miss more frequency). There are plenty of business people that would welcome direct flights from BTS (despite relatively short travel time, it is still additional 40-60 minutes of travel).

If HG would have code-share with LH on connecting flights from FRA would add more value.   Same goes for BA (Oneworild) from LHR. Imagine if one was able to fly from BTS to EWR or HKG on one ticket!

In past there have been flights to Moscow from BTS and I guess that there is also limited demand (would love to see O/D numbers; same goes for CPH).

Cheers,

Andrej

marosbts

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:20 am

Quoting PhilInBRN (Reply 8):
Very interesting information. Where did you hear that the Helvetic E190s will come from HG?

Common knowledge around this part of Europe  

marosbts

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:23 am

Quoting andrej (Reply 9):
If HG would have code-share with LH on connecting flights from FRA would add more value.

Pretty strong pipe dreams my dear. Not sure what you are smoking but it must be some heavy stuff...

gabrielchew

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:38 am

Didn't OS have a F100 based in BTS a few years ago doing 1 daily LHR/CDG/BRU rotation? I don't think it lasted long.

andrej

Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:56 pm

Quoting marosbts (Reply 11):

The important word was 'if'.   Give your imagination a little freedom!

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 12):

I seem to recall that as well. OS has mx facility here for F100 (not sure if it includes F70 as well). The civil aviation in Slovakia can be summed in a one word, a failure. No that the market is weak and non existent, but mainly due to an incompetent management.

FR and DY seem to manage. OK struggled, but recently have returned. SkyEurope, Air Slovakia, Slovak Airilnes, Danube Wings, etc. are a good examples of mismanagement.

marosbts

Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:20 pm

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 12):
Didn't OS have a F100 based in BTS a few years ago doing 1 daily LHR/CDG/BRU rotation? I don't think it lasted long.

Correct, it did not last long. The main factor was that the flights were operated by Slovakian Airlines, which was an airline which completely lacked skills in marketing, sales and distribution. And with such an organisation they attempted to operate London and Paris head to head against SkyEurope. Needless to say that a F100 operated by Slovakian Airlines had no chance in terms of cost per seat against a low cost carrier which at that time had a much stronger market presence. After SkyEurope pushed them out of London and Paris, it had no sense to keep the Fokker based in Bratislava just to operate a couple of flights to Brussels per week.

This time things could be different. I personally expect that the government will impose all government travel to Brussels to be done out of Bratislava only. Also I expect that this order will be given to all publicly funded organisations. Currently its thousands of pax per month which travel out of Vienna at a relatively high yield.

canadiantree

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:20 pm

I live in BTS anf would love to see more traffic from here, but I just don't see it happening yet  OK tried again in 2011 and failed miserably. Even despite very aggressive pricing (I flew CDG-BTS with them a couple time for less than 100 euros R/T).

They lasted from June to December and pulled out of BTS without even notifying anyone. They had opened up routes to CDG, FCO, AMS, LCA & I forget the 5th one but evidently they were trying to take a shot at FR's monopoly.

Of course if HG starts BTS-CDG that would be awesome for me!

[Edited 2014-11-28 08:21:08]

[Edited 2014-11-28 08:21:46]

marosbts

Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:50 pm

I have to stand corrected, the CDG/BRU/LGW flights have indeed been operated by OS alone and not with Slovakian Airlines. Changes little on how quickly those flights have ended.

JU068

Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:54 pm

Quoting canadiantree (Reply 15):
I forget the 5th one

I think it was Brussels, no?

marosbts

Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:17 pm

Quoting Ju068 (Reply 17):
I think it was Brussels, no?

Correct and as far I know it had the best load factor from those routes.

JU068

Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:23 pm

By the way, did Sky Europe offer connection via their hubs?

Quoting marosbts (Reply 18):

I remember Larnaca used to fly in the middle of the night but the loads were not bad either. Probably a lot of people going to Vienna as well.

MHG

Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:31 pm

Quoting Ju068 (Reply 19):

No, strictly point-to-point only.

marosbts

Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:22 pm

Quoting MHG (Reply 20):

Quoting Ju068 (Reply 19):

No, strictly point-to-point only.

Incorrect. There was a connecting product which offered travelers from Kosice, Slovakias 2nd largest city to connect via Bratislava to the rest of the SkyEurope network. Baggage was through checked, pax however had to pick up their new boarding passes and pass security once again. While this was not a fully connected product, the schedules were optimized and the connections were working quite well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos