Beechtobus
Topic Author

Spirit DEN-LAX Nonstop

Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:49 pm

NK seems to be pretty Denver- West Coast happy lately and is thus starting DEN-LAX with one daily:

http://ir.spirit.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=886139

Interesting add, joining the 4 way fight between AA, UA, F9, and WN. NK's DEN-LAS flights currently continue to LAX, just as their LAX-LAS flights continue to DEN and from what I understand, they carry many through pax. I figured it was just a matter of time before DEN-LAX was added.

bpat777

RE: Spirit DEN-LAX Nonstop

Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:34 pm

I read they will also be flying between CLE and LAX

enilria

Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:41 pm

Quoting Beechtobus (Thread starter):
NK seems to be pretty Denver- West Coast happy lately and is thus starting DEN-LAX with one daily:

I'd say this is poking F9 and taking advantage of their just announced huge service reduction in DEN-LAX. They won't even have 2 daily flights any more. At their peak they had 6 or 7.

OA412

Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:55 pm

Quoting Beechtobus (Thread starter):
Interesting add, joining the 4 way fight between AA, UA, F9, and WN.

My understanding, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, is that the ULCC's are going after a different customer base than the legacies and traditional LCC's. Therefore, it's, in a sense, entering the market without joining the fight.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Legend757

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:01 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 3):
My understanding, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, is that the ULCC's are going after a different customer base than the legacies and traditional LCC's. Therefore, it's, in a sense, entering the market without joining the fight.

True to a sense. However, F9 is an ULCC now and even though ULCC carriers do go after a different type of passenger, competing with 4 other carriers on the same route is interesting to say the least.

Beechtobus
Topic Author

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:03 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 2):
I'd say this is poking F9 and taking advantage of their just announced huge service reduction in DEN-LAX. They won't even have 2 daily flights any more. At their peak they had 6 or 7.

I don't agree that it's necessarily poking F9, I think Spirit merely sees an opportunity to make money connecting 2 cities that have been very successful for the airline.

I too remember the days of 6-7 DEN-LAX F9 flights, IIRC, there was also 6-7 on DEN-PHX, and LAS. I think SLC, DFW, SEA, and MDW all saw 5-6 dailys. F9 is simply doing what it needed to do 8-10 years ago by moving assets out of Denver.

kingcavalier

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:32 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 2):

They did have 7 flights a day from DEN-LAX but how much of that was lowering yielding connecting traffic to fill the seats? Is it better to fill 1,932 RT daily seats with connecting traffic or fill 552 seats with all O & D?
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness

contrails78

Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:39 pm

I am really surprised Spirit has not entered the BUR market with the very low facilities cost. They could really carve out a niche market there on routes with practically zero competition.

enilria

Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:07 pm

Quoting Beechtobus (Reply 5):
I don't agree that it's necessarily poking F9, I think Spirit merely sees an opportunity to make money connecting 2 cities that have been very successful for the airline.

The reality is that F9 has copied the NK model. It makes the most sense for the two of them to stay out of each other's way. Neither is so big that they must overlap, but that is what makes it poking. They are also poking each other in CLE and both were flying DEN-AZA until F9 bailed out and then NK shortly afterward. They've been doing this for a while. Money poorly spent IMHO.

Having said that, F9 cut DEN-LAX too much so they deserve it. 1.8 RTs is too little.

F9 is simply doing what it needed to do 8-10 years ago by moving assets out of Denver.

8-10 years ago? They'd be liquidated now if they had left then.

Quoting kingcavalier (Reply 6):
They did have 7 flights a day from DEN-LAX but how much of that was lowering yielding connecting traffic to fill the seats?

Exactly. This is the new model. The same model NK has. NK thinks the market supports 3 ULCC roundtrips. F9 thinks it supports 2.

So, in this market we now have AA, F9, UA, WN, and NK. If DL enters, and they surely will at some point, it will have the most airlines of any route in the USA if I'm not mistaken.

SANFan

Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:23 pm

The recent DEN-SAN route announcement by Spirit -- starting in early January --was a redeployment due to a cancelled route (SAN-PDX.)

I just wondered if perhaps the same thing is happening with LA? Anyone aware of any route the NK is axing from LAX?

bb

SLCSFOPDX

Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:25 pm

Obviously NK sees F9 drawing back DEN, and NK sees growth potential in DEN. NK needs to add SLC and SEA soon as possible. The growth out west for NK is limitless.

I still think it's only a matter of time until NK and F9 merge.

NYC-air

Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:15 pm

I wouldn't mind an LGA flight seeing as the LGA-DEN fares are higher than I'd like them to be!

I realize skiers aren't exactly the target market for an ULCC like Spirit but I'm always a little pissed off when I see prices on the winter flights I want to DEN.

SANFan

Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:27 am

Quoting SLCSFOPDX (Reply 10):
Obviously NK sees F9 drawing back DEN, and NK sees growth potential in DEN. NK needs to add SLC and SEA soon as possible. The growth out west for NK is limitless.

Uhhhhh, yeah? I can't imagine a more welcoming place in the country right now than SEA for an airline to try to set up shop.... to fly anywhere.

To a lesser degree, the same situation exists at SLC.

I think NK is way to business savvy to be interested in either place right now. MAYBE PDX and/or OAK to DEN, but I don't think those cities are givens.

I think Spirit merely sees an opportunity to make money connecting 2 cities that have been very successful for the airline.

Exactly. This is what Spirit, and, in fact, F9 do.

I don't see this as any indication that DEN is the new super-hub of Spirit Airlines. They've already got a good number of routes from Denver, now they have one more. End of story.

bb

LAXintl

Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:50 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 9):
Anyone aware of any route the NK is axing from LAX?

Actually the opposite. They will now be up to 9 nonstop destinations from LAX come spring.

CLE, DEN, DFW, DTW FLL, IAH, LAS, MSP, and ORD
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Beechtobus
Topic Author

Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:50 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 8):
So, in this market we now have AA, F9, UA, WN, and NK. If DL enters, and they surely will at some point, it will have the most airlines of any route in the USA if I'm not mistaken.

If DL re-enters LAX-DEN, it looks like there would be a 3-way tie involving city pairs with 6 carriers (LAX-DEN, LAX-LAS, LAX-JFK). LAX-LAS has AA, DL, UA, NK, VX, and WN. LAX-JFK has DL, AA, UA, B6, VX, and QF (though I'm sure this one is debatable as no local traffic is allowed).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos