doulasc
Topic Author

Cubana To Canada

Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:29 am

I have been on flightaware.com,I find a Cubana HAV-YYZ(Toronto) flight operating a Russian aircraft that looks similar
to a A321. I see the flight flies over Ohio where I am from.It flies over east of Columbus near Newark Ohio.On a clear
day would that plane be low enough heading toward Toronto that I could see it and about what time of day would it be in
that area?
I saw no HAV-YUL(Montreal) flights on Cubana.Did Cubana drop Montreal? They served Montreal when Mirabel airport
was still open. In the past did Cubana have to fly out over the Atlantic Ocean and up then make its turn into Canada
once north of US air space?

Cadet985

RE: Cubana To Canada

Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:50 am

As far as I know, Cubana has flown in US airspace for all of its flights to Canada unless weather forces them out over the Atlantic.

Just because the US and Cuba do not get along doesn't impact airline ops. There are treaties that require any country to give assistance to an aircraft in distress, regardless of where it is from.

On flightradar24, I've seen Cubana planes over PA, and lots of US carriers transiting over Cuba to points in the Caribbean, Central, and South America.

If I'm incorrect, someone please correct/enlighten me.

Marc

longhauler

Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:08 am

Quoting doulasc (Thread starter):
I find a Cubana HAV-YYZ(Toronto) flight operating a Russian aircraft that looks similar
to a A321.

This is probably what you saw. The TU-204 often visits YYZ.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John Magero

Quoting doulasc (Thread starter):
In the past did Cubana have to fly out over the Atlantic Ocean and up then make its turn into Canada once north of US air space?

A very long time ago, yes, that is exactly what Cubana was required to do. As stated above though, treaties since then have allowed Cuban aircraft in US airspace and American aircraft in Cuban airspace.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

tootallsd

Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:09 am

Flights from Miami to Brazil, as one example, cross Cuba. It seems odd the first time.

mjgbtv

Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:22 am

I think I have seen Cubana aircraft on Flightradar24 over Vermont headed to/from YUL. Maybe this: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CUB170

doulasc
Topic Author

Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:47 am

Quoting mjgbtv (Reply 4):

That is a Airbus A320 and it must be another airline flying for Cubana.

doulasc
Topic Author

Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:49 am

Also on flightaware.com it says Havana is on CST which is Central time.I thought Cuba is on EST like Miami.

briboy

Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:31 am

Quoting doulasc (Reply 5):
That is a Airbus A320 and it must be another airline flying for Cubana.

From Avion Express. Been like this for some time.
next up: YYC, SFO, SYD, AKL, WLG, CMB, BKK, SIN, FRA, VCE, JFK

Cadet985

Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:10 am

Quoting longhauler (Reply 2):
A very long time ago, yes, that is exactly what Cubana was required to do. As stated above though, treaties since then have allowed Cuban aircraft in US airspace and American aircraft in Cuban airspace.

I forgot to mention that said treaties mandate that passengers be treated well, and given decent accommodations until an aircraft can be repaired or a replacement flown in. In short, you wouldn't see Cuba do to a US passenger jet what China did to that EP-3 Orion crew several years back.

Marc

steex

Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:32 am

Quoting doulasc (Reply 6):
Also on flightaware.com it says Havana is on CST which is Central time.I thought Cuba is on EST like Miami.

Different places name their time zones different things. Cuba is on Cuba Standard Time (CST) right now, which is the same time as our Eastern Standard Time.

JAGflyer

Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:57 am

The TU-204 comes to YYZ from HAV and this is a cargo flight. All Cubana passenger flights to/from Canada (YYZ and YUL) are operated by Avion Express aircraft (Latvian registered A320s).
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

Cadet985

Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:20 am

Quoting Jagflyer (Reply 10):
All Cubana passenger flights to/from Canada (YYZ and YUL) are operated by Avion Express aircraft (Latvian registered A320s).

I did not know that. My Flightradar24 app doesn't make that distinction. It calls them Cubana flights.

Marc

doulasc
Topic Author

Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:44 am

I had a thread awhilw back on why Cubana can't order planes fro Airbus even though they are a French Corporation and
not a USA based company.Its because Airbus planes have US made components.

Viscount724

Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:40 am

Quoting doulasc (Reply 12):
I had a thread awhilw back on why Cubana can't order planes fro Airbus even though they are a French Corporation and
not a USA based company.Its because Airbus planes have US made components.

Roughly 1/3 of Airbus aircraft content by value is of U.S. origin.

ek241yyz

Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:14 am

Fun Fact: Cubana operated their Tu-204 once...maybe even twice to YYZ few summers ago. I can't imagine the paperwork and calls needed to make that happen.

But yes, CU-C1703 flies in here every Sunday (least it's supposed to be) .
Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself.

b747400erf

Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:26 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 11):

I did not know that. My Flightradar24 app doesn't make that distinction. It calls them Cubana flights.

Flightradar displays the information from the flight management computer on board the airplane, the pilots entering their callsign and flight number is what is displayed. If they are operating for Cubana, they enter the Cubana code and flight number. Most also display the airplane registration that you can search the a.net database to see what airplane it is.

Viscount724

Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:26 am

All Cubana passenger flights to/from Canada (YYZ and YUL) are operated by Avion Express aircraft (Latvian registered A320s).

The use Cubana callsigns as far as I know.

ghYHZ

Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:50 am

Quoting tootallsd (Reply 3):
Flights from Miami to Brazil, as one example, cross Cuba. It seems odd the first time.

Not just overflying Cuba but landing there too. Search HAV under airport activity on FlightAware and see the numerous flights every day from Florida. (note: these are charter flights)

Or go to the American Airlines Gates and Times/Status page and type in AA Fights 9470/9471. It will show arrivals and departures at Miami and Havana. (Just checked status for yesterday... Dec 6)

ghYHZ

Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:08 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 8):
In short, you wouldn't see Cuba do to a US passenger jet what China did to that EP-3 Orion crew several years back.

Yes, ......friendly people, nice resorts and a very popular destination. After Florida......Cuba is the #2 winter destination for Canadians with over a million going each year. In Feb and March.....check flightaware for some of Cuba's regional airports and you will see most flights are to/from Canada.....and there's a lot. Besides YYZ and YUL.....even smaller centres such as Moncton, Halifax, Regina have non-stops.

ghYHZ

Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:03 am

Quoting ghYHZ (Reply 18):
even smaller centres such as Moncton, Halifax, Regina have non-stops.

Even Gander, an old Cubana stopover point from the cold-war era now has winter flight on Sunwing Airlines. Sign at the drop-off area......

Cubana, Aeroflot, Interflug (East Germany) and CSA-Czechoslovak once stopped for fuel on their way to and from Havana and many travelers got their first taste of freedom there when they defected during the stopover in the Gander Terminal.

>>>>>>>

Note sure of their status this winter but Cubana has recently served Halifax with seasonal flights.

migair54

Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:27 am

Cubana is allowed to over fly USA the same US airlines can over fly Cuba.

I used to fly there and I have seen 2 times B757 diverting to Havana and nothing at all happened. Actually AA for example has plenty of flights to Cuba. One Terminal at Jose Marti is only for USA flights, Terminal-2 close to Rwy 24 Threshold.

Cubana has A320 on lease for many years now, before they were from TACA with Irish registration, they also operate to Canada the Tu-204 pax version and cargo, in all Cubana planes the full crew is Cuban. Even time ago AeroCaribbean flew Il-18 cargo to Canada (on behalf of Cubana) and they over fly the USA with the ATR when going for heavy checks to Montreal.

US airlines has 3 available routes to cross over Cuba, Maya, Girón and another corridor I don't remember the name now but nowadays it's more flexible than before. And Cubana used to have 1-2 allowed routes over the USA.

One of the main problems for Cubana is that if they land in the USA the plane can be impounded to pay for compensations the revolution never paid to people that was expropiados many years ago, so even in case of emergency if they land in the USA they'll have a lot of diplomatic work to take the plane back.

Yes, ......friendly people, nice resorts and a very popular destination. After Florida......Cuba is the #2 winter destination for Canadians with over a million going each year. In Feb and March.....check flightaware for some of Cuba's regional airports and you will see most flights are to/from Canada.....and there's a lot. Besides YYZ and YUL.....even smaller centres such as Moncton, Halifax, Regina have non-stops.

An awesome place, it's a must see in my opinion, I used to see many Canadian planes, specially in Cayo Coco, Cayo Largo, Varadero and Manzanillo.
USA citizens can easily visiT Cuba but they have to go indirectly, I saw many going via Cancun and Nassau specially, on arrival in Cuba the passport won't be stamp if you request so, to avoid problems on the return.
I do recomendamos everybody to visit Cuba and enjoy, they'll never forget it. The flights from USA direct to Cuba if I'm not mistaken have some kind of restrictions for Cuban-Americans, something like once every 2-3 years, but I'm not sure.

AR385

Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:52 am

Quoting migair54 (Reply 20):
Cubana is allowed to over fly USA the same US airlines can over fly Cuba.

Yes, that is true. Although I always wondered why one time on a UA 777 GRU-MIA we gave a wide berth to Cuba. Another time it happened on a RG 743 GRU-MIA. Could those berths be due to traffic congestion?

strfyr51

Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:53 am

Quoting doulasc (Thread starter): In the past did Cubana have to fly out over the Atlantic Ocean and up then make its turn into Canada once north of US air space?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************
Cubana Was required to do that for overflying Griffiths AFB up at Rome NY Repeatedly, the US banned them from overflying the USA so they had to go up the Eastern Seaboard 200NM East then turn west over St.Johns and head for Montreal.
That as a LONG time ago (around 1972) We had a ready alert Launch on them once when they Tried to overfly Loring AFB.
Turns out they lost their only inertial and had to fly VOR navigation. They never squaked any emergency like 7200 on their Transponder and they
wouldn't Ident when asked.
We found them on our airborne Radar at 125Mi and directed the fighters on to their tail .
That was a lot of fun... Hell it was the Cold War!!
It was At least better than putting Sono Bouys down "Red Route 1" for 8 hours ,(yeah, there IS a Red Route 1 )
(It's not called that by the USA. that was Movie only) but the canyons Do Exist..

AR385

Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:01 am

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 22):
Cubana Was required to do that for overflying Griffiths AFB up at Rome NY Repeatedly, the US banned them from overflying the USA so they had to go up the Eastern Seaboard 200NM East then turn west over St.Johns and head for Montreal

I had read about Aeroflot repeatedly pulling these stunts over the US, but didn´t know Cubana also did it.

WROORD

Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:22 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 1):
and lots of US carriers transiting over Cuba to points in the Caribbean, Central, and South America.

Absolutely, I've flown from ORD to MBJ several times over Cuba. Fidel may be still preaching social equality, but he wants hard currency from anything he can including flights over his territory. Hovever, the story is much different with Kim Kong-un. When I flew ORD to PVG I was praying we do not get too close to North Korea.

JAGflyer

Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:02 pm

I seem to recall Cubana operating A320s with their own Cubana decals on them several years back. If memory serves me right, they were TACA or LACSA owned aircraft though.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

doulasc
Topic Author

Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:05 pm

In 1976 cubana had DC-8s

B737900

Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:10 pm

Yes, ......friendly people, nice resorts and a very popular destination. After Florida......Cuba is the #2 winter destination for Canadians with over a million going each year. In Feb and March.....check flightaware for some of Cuba's regional airports and you will see most flights are to/from Canada.....and there's a lot. Besides YUL.....even smaller centres such as Moncton, Halifax, Regina have non-stops.

Living on the west coast in Washington state am wondering if there are any non-stop flights from YVR to HAV? Cuba is on my short list of places to visit before too long. I suppose I could check on-line but a.net posters seem to know what's going on.

[Edited 2014-12-07 09:12:35]
Sounds like a Beaver on floats..........we're saved!!

longhauler

Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:11 pm

Quoting doulasc (Reply 26):
In 1976 cubana had DC-8s

I am not sure if it makes a difference, but they were leased from Air Canada, with Rolls-Royce engines. I am not so sure at that point in time if they were even worth all that much. I am sure AC didn't charge much for the aircraft.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Petr Popelar

[Edited 2014-12-07 09:14:49]
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

chrisjake

Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:32 pm

My Flightradar24 app doesn't make that distinction. It calls them Cubana flights.

If you tap on the Cubana aircraft on the map, it will show you an Avion aircraft picture and then change its logo on the map.

And as far as seeing it overhead, I'm in the Cleveland area and it passes over the DRYER VOR often. I have seen it using binoculars numerous times.

Chris

ghYHZ

Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:03 pm

I’ve had no problem taking photos at Cuban airports either.

And I’m a railfan too. On a Cuban vacation a couple of years ago I wanted to see some of the former Canadian equipment the Cuban Railways are operating. So I mentioned it to the hotel concierge.....who knew someone......who knew someone and a couple of hours at the local RR yard was arranged. And they couldn’t do enough.......spotting a locomotive or two for the best angle in the sun for photos.

Recently in the US I was threatened with arrest for taking a photo of an Amtrak train I was about to board even from a public area.

greggariouspdx

Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:28 pm

I have flown MIA-EZE and JFK-EZE quite a few times and you do fly right over Cuba. An AA Captain told me that Cuba receives quite a nice payday for allowing planes to use their airspace.

Cadet985

Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:28 pm

One of my best friends from college is of Cuban descent. He can technically get a visa to visit family there, but his mother who fled the island, cannot. He will not go to Cuba under any means until his mother can.

My synagogue used to do a trip there every winter to work with the small Jewish community in Havana. I just haven't had the money to go.

I'm also told that there are a number of fly-by-night airlines that will fly you to Cuba from Mexico, and neither Cuba or Mexico will stamp your passport. I'd never try this though...if I were to be in Havana and something happened, there's no US embassy or anything, and I'd likely be arrested by one of our alphabet soup agencies, as I like to call them.

Marc

Bingo1

Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:42 pm

Did Cubana ever serve YMX or Planecrzy

pnwtraveler

Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:44 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 16):

The use Cubana callsigns as far as I know.

Correct when talking to ATC they use Cubana. Both Cargo TU204 and Airbus aircraft. Prior to the Avion arrangement the Cubana flights were operated by TACA. It has been a long time since the Cubana flights came in company colours. Avion are mostly white. As far as I know the only airline to use any Russian aircraft on a regular scheduled basis is the TU Cargo. The Antonov's come and go as per need and aren't scheduled regularly. While the TU204 passenger version may have subbed sometime, I have never seen it at YYZ.

stpeterc

Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:52 pm

I've been to Cuba 7 times over the past 10 years. 6 of the 7 times I departed from Miami (operated by Eagle, AA, World Atlantic Airways, Delta & United) once from Los Angeles (operated by TACA). All are charter flights. All flights from US territory arrive a special terminal in HAV and I don't believe any of the crew are allowed off the aircraft.

Depending on the day of the week, there's anywhere from 5-10 flights a day from MIA to HAV with a few more to other cities such as Santa Clara and Santiago de Cuba.

timz

Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:57 pm

Quoting bingo1 (Reply 33):
Did YMX or YYZ ever see Russian made metal?

Anyone remember if Cubana's Tu-154s and Il62s were going to YMX or YUL?

ek241yyz

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:05 am

Both have.
Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself.

pnwtraveler

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:09 am

Quoting timz (Reply 36):

The Cubana Russian aircraft I first saw was the Tu154. I don't know if I ever saw the IL62 at YYZ. Aeroflot and Ukrainian yes but I don't think Cubana. I know Cubana took some of AC's old DC8's earlier than that.

doulasc
Topic Author

Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:19 am

Quoting stpeterc (Reply 35):

You mean the crew can not exit the aircraft in HAV to use the restroom,buy food from a
food vendor or go to the gift shop etc in the terminal.

arielwar

Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:21 am

Quoting doulasc (Reply 39):
Quoting stpeterc (Reply 35):

The crew is "not allowed" to exit the aircraft but the cuban authority always allows them too and they go to the gift shop and always buy things. Even if their not allowed due to US laws but the crew still does, I've seen it. The only person the is allowed to exit the aircraft is the captain and a mechanic to inspect the aircraft before it takes off and the representive of the charter company is allowed to exit the aircraft as well.

marktci

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:18 am

Quoting B737900 (Reply 27):
Living on the west coast in Washington state am wondering if there are any non-stop flights from YVR to HAV? Cuba is on my short list of places to visit before too long. I suppose I could check on-line but a.net posters seem to know what's going on.

Looks like Sunwing has weekly departures to Varadero (a beach resort that's within driving distance of Havana) from YVR.

yyz717

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:13 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 28):
I am not sure if it makes a difference, but they were leased from Air Canada, with Rolls-Royce engines. I am not so sure at that point in time if they were even worth all that much. I am sure AC didn't charge much for the aircraft.

One of the 3 AC DC-8-43's flying for Cubana x-CF-TJI crashed soon afer take off from BGI in 1976. Two bombs exploded on-board bringing down the airliner. Anit-Castro mercenary groups were blamed. There is an interesting Cold War-esque rundown of the incident on Wikipedia.

On another note, Cubana brought their IL-96's to YYZ regularly on a weekly charter a few winters ago (likely YYZ-VRA I imagine).
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

strfyr51

Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:11 am

Quoting arielwar (Reply 40):
The crew is "not allowed" to exit the aircraft but the cuban authority always allows them too and they go to the gift shop and always buy things. Even if their not allowed due to US laws but the crew still does, I've seen it. The only person the is allowed to exit the aircraft is the captain and a mechanic to inspect the aircraft before it takes off and the representive of the charter company is allowed to exit the aircraft as well.

At United we've flown a number of times to Havana. We can fly charters but we're not allowed scheduled service which I think is a waste.
They have a LOT of good baseball and Basketball down there and the beaches are fantastic. I've flown in and out of Guantanamo Bay while in the Navy, and have Maintenance crewed 3 B727 charters down there for the State Department.
I no longer do that but I was treated warmly while I was there for the 4 hours we were on the Ground and I did manage to score some fantastic Cuban Cuisine.
Except for the plantains. They're an Acquired taste. I had though they were a banana. I was Mistaken.. If they EVER re-open Cuba It's going to be a Car collector's Paradise.

yenne09

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:32 pm

In 2011 I had vacation close to Trinidad in Southern Cuba. When we landed in Cienfuegos I saw an ATR-42 of American Eagle. We flew back and forth abord a Cubana A320 coming from TACA. We overflew almost in straight line from Florida to Toronto and then turned east to Montreal.

crank

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:12 pm

Quoting timz (Reply 36):

YUL saw the IL-62 make a brief comeback around 2002-2003, it operated once a week on thursday mornings I believe. I was told the type got banned following an incident where they took off without clearance off 24L nearly colliding with a Dash landing on 28. Not sure if that's true.

I have flown on the TU-154 many times in the late 80's early 90's from YMX-VRA and back.

bond007

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:03 pm

Quoting migair54 (Reply 20):
USA citizens can easily visiT Cuba but they have to go indirectly

Yes, not legally though. Lying to the US immigration officer about what countries you visited is not a good idea IMO.

As stated above though, treaties since then have allowed Cuban aircraft in US airspace and American aircraft in Cuban airspace.

Yes, although unless there is a prior agreement for an airline on a regular basis, an overflight permit is required from the Cuban authorities - for non-scheduled business jets etc.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

ghYHZ

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:16 pm

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 43):
.......If they EVER re-open Cuba It's going to be a Car collector's Paradise.

Wondering around Havana on vacation last April:

planespotting

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:36 pm

Despite the fact that there are many administrative restrictions between the two countries ... life is going on between the two moreso than ever before. A friend of mine from high school who visits Cuba often recently got engaged to a Cuban, and he was allowed to emigrate legally to the United States. He now lives in Minnesota ... quite the temperature change for him this winter.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

bjorn14

Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:24 am

Any American can visit Cuba you just can't spend any money there.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos