Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trinxat
Topic Author

Delta: Red Wine In Tetra Pak (Yuk..)

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:40 pm

I am still under shock after returning from my ATL-AMS trip, operated by DL (outbound leg was done by Air France)

Beside the obvious differences in quality and quantity of food and service (by the way was flying Economy), what finally killed me was to hear the DL F/A saying "Ah you want some Merlot" and pouring what, at first believed it was Cranberry Juice from a tetra pak, but not, it was red wine... "The" red wine, because of course they had no other choice...

I really fancy those small glass bottles that other airlines give away, even being poured from an open large bottle is OK, but Tetra Pak... really? In any serious airline? I think even in crappier charter flights they serve you from a bottle.....Are we out of our minds or how much more downhill can this go...?

MIflyer12

RE: Delta: Red Wine In Tetra Pak (Yuk..)

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:44 pm

You may be unfamiliar with the fine options available in other-than-glass packaging. The Australian producers (in particular) are all over this.

AeroWesty

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:49 pm

Quoting trinxat (Thread starter):
what finally killed me was to hear the DL F/A saying "Ah you want some Merlot" and pouring what, at first believed it was Cranberry Juice from a tetra pak, but not, it was red wine... "The" red wine, because of course they had no other choice...

So, how did it taste? Tetra Paks won't kill the taste of a Coach class quality wine. Consuming it at altitude will probably do more damage to its taste than anything.
International Homo of Mystery

Cubsrule

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:53 pm

Quoting MIflyer12 (Reply 1):
You may be unfamiliar with the fine options available in other-than-glass packaging. The Australian producers (in particular) are all over this.

There are a handful of box wines that are comparable in quality to a $15-$20 (retail) bottle.

Of course, he probably won't drink anything with a screw top either.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

trinxat
Topic Author

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:55 pm

Well, I take it that there is an element of pouring wine into a glass that makes the experience already enjoyable even before trying it. When someone pours any wine from a Tetra Pak into a plastic glass the size of a starbucks frappuccino one, fills it half way, and renders it to the customer full of foam..... well you think I actually tried it?

I have seen the guys in the San Fermines do that with the calimotxo, but well, we are not talking about the same thing here are we?

MayaviaERJ190

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:59 pm

If a tacky neighbor invites me for a Tetra Pak cup of wine, I will accept it, and will never criticize their cheap tastes or lack of culture; but if I'm paying for it, never mind it's Economy, it's a definitive no-no, I can always have a beer, even if it's just a Budweiser.

Before this topic gets moved away from this thread, I may help by asking: Can airlines reduce their service costs without having to get to the tacky side?

AeroMexico: Get only the good things from your partners and watch out for bad influences!
My other plane is an A380.

MaverickM11

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:01 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 3):
There are a handful of box wines that are comparable in quality to a $15-$20 (retail) bottle.

Most oenophiles and sommerliers can't tell the difference anyway, no matter the price, packaging, or label   
I don't take responsibility at all

flyingcat

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:10 pm

Wine packaged in plastic does not alter the taste or texture of wine. it is actually more carbon neutral and safer for the environment. Plastic use is going up and attitudes are shifting, however their will be die hard fanatics, similar to people into vinyl LPs, that will not accept the change.

MayaviaERJ190

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:24 pm

From the 'Delta Redefines Cabins & Product Names' thread:

Quote:
goldenstate (Thread starter):

ATLANTA, Dec. 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Delta Air Lines (DAL) is redefining the products it offers customers to further distinguish the choices available to them. Delta will offer best-in-class options for each of its customer segments with innovative multi-cabin experiences...

http://news.delta.com/2014-12-08-Del...n-Upgrades-Premium-Economy-Options

"Delta Air Lines (DAL) is redefining the products it offers customers to further distinguish the choices". Boy! Did they do it! But a question still lingers... Is Tetra-Pak wine the "best-in-class option(s)"?

I love the part about "innovative multi-cabin experiences". Are we going to be moved around during flight? Is Tetra Pak wine part of this innovation? Does multi-cabin means Tetra Pak wine for all, from front to back?

cougar15

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:27 pm

Quoting flyingcaT (Reply 7):
similar to people into vinyl LPs, that will not accept the change.

funny that, Vinyl Record sales have risen over 280!!% in the last 3 years! must be a bunch of old School People out there! funny, I thought and it is common knowledge that they went back from CD´s to Vinyl !

Tetra Pack wine? simply cheap and another example of the absolute crap soft Service Levels on US carriers, it´s as simple as that! But the ME3 Invasion will lead to some serious rethinking on intl. Routes hopefully, finally.....!!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

Osubuckeyes

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:32 pm

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 9):
ME3

What does this mean? I've seen this in numerous threads.

EMB170

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:35 pm

From actual visits to vineyards, I can tell you with certainty that there is no shame in drinking or serving wine from a box or a tetra pack...especially red wines. The goal is simply to keep the air away from the wine, which, if it's in a sealed tetra pack, is actually quite effective in doing.

If anything, it helps DL save a little bit of weight on board since they're not having to fly around glass bottles.
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

MayaviaERJ190

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:37 pm

Quoting osubuckeyes (Reply 10):
ME3

What does this mean?

The M-iddle E-ast 3 airlines: Emirates, Etihad and Qatar. ME3 was coined after their ambitious expansion (and I am sure that they didn't base their expansion on offering Tetra Pak wine).

cougar15

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:38 pm

Quoting osubuckeyes (Reply 10):
What does this mean? I've seen this in numerous threads.

the Invasion on high Quality MID EAST 3 (Qatar, Emirates, Ethihad) that is currently happening in the US! It is time the US carriers woke up & did something about their product in all classes, because otherwise they will go down the same road as Australia, Asia and Europe, where the 'ME3´ are syphoning huge numbers of passengers from the respective countries ´legacy carriers´. Surely, due to Price and most certainly due to the Quality of the hard & soft onboard products!

[Edited 2014-12-08 08:39:55]

330lover

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:39 pm

There are nice wines in Tetra Pack (and bag-in-box) and crappy wines in a bottle...
I'd rather have a good tasting wine out of a Tetra Pack than a bad wine out of a bottle.

But I agree it's not very stylish... Long live Air France (at least for this aspect) !
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!

ytz

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:39 pm

And yet people say that Korean Vice-Chairwoman was too harsh on the cabin crew that served nuts in a packet and not a ramekin.

Just look at the complaints she'd have to put up with....

DAL763ER

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:49 pm

Quoting trinxat (Thread starter):

I am still under shock after returning from my ATL-AMS trip, operated by DL (outbound leg was done by Air France)

Beside the obvious differences in quality and quantity of food and service (by the way was flying Economy), what finally killed me was to hear the DL F/A saying "Ah you want some Merlot" and pouring what, at first believed it was Cranberry Juice from a tetra pak, but not, it was red wine... "The" red wine, because of course they had no other choice...

I really fancy those small glass bottles that other airlines give away, even being poured from an open large bottle is OK, but Tetra Pak... really? In any serious airline? I think even in crappier charter flights they serve you from a bottle.....Are we out of our minds or how much more downhill can this go...?

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 3):

Yep. Just because it's in a Tetra Pak doesn't mean it's not good. It's a matter of cost, not making the economy passenger feel fancy. Gee, just laugh about it with the F/A and drink it, what's the big deal. If you want better service, shell out the $$$.

DAL763ER

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:54 pm

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 13):
the Invasion on high Quality MID EAST 3 (Qatar, Emirates, Ethihad) that is currently happening in the US! It is time the US carriers woke up & did something about their product in all classes, because otherwise they will go down the same road as Australia, Asia and Europe, where the 'ME3´ are syphoning huge numbers of passengers from the respective countries ´legacy carriers´. Surely, due to Price and most certainly due to the Quality of the hard & soft onboard products!

Oh please, the Y service is fine. Not every route can be replaced by ME3 so, for say European flights, comparing service in Y between AA-BA, DL-AF, UA-LH, they're about the same. The European carriers are a little better in J/F, but it doesn't make sense to keep complaining about Y service. Cheap fares = cheap service. And yes, fares are cheap, especially on DL/AF.

MayaviaERJ190

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:21 pm

Quoting DAL763ER (Reply 17):
Not every route can be replaced by ME3

Absolutely true and if I were in Delta Marketing I would immediately take action by leaving Tetra Pak wine for routes that are unreacheable (apart from a codeshare) by the ME3 like ATL-DAL and bringing back glass bottles in European TATL routes like AMS.

Remember that even the most humble European is educated in wine culture and this culture is at their core. Europe is not a market to mess with.

I wouldn't give it a try from 2+ century old countries, like ours, at trying to change a millenary European tradition just for a few grams, a more-difficult-to-recycle package and by watching cents instead of dollars. Would you?

PS Quote from http://news.delta.com/2014-12-08-Del...n-Upgrades-Premium-Economy-Options :

Quote:
Delta has invested billions of dollars in the customer experience...

I could have recommended glass bottles for a core tradition of the European market for much less.

[Edited 2014-12-08 09:33:07]

Cipango

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:24 pm

I am sure juice carton wine would taste just as good, sometimes better, than cheap bottled wine. However when I flew US between DUB-PHL a few months ago they also served wine with dinner from a Tetra Pack. I honestly felt like saying why even bother? It felt very second class and all round cheap.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

Cubsrule

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:30 pm

Quoting MayaviaERJ190 (Reply 18):
Remember that even the most humble European is educated in wine culture and this culture is at their core.

You're painting with far, far too broad a brush. You need to travel more in eastern and northern Europe (places like Poland, where when in rural areas, I sometimes went months without seeing a bottle of wine).

32andBelow

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:32 pm

Quoting cipango (Reply 19):
I am sure juice carton wine would taste just as good, sometimes better, than cheap bottled wine. However when I flew US between DUB-PHL a few months ago they also served wine with dinner from a Tetra Pack. I honestly felt like saying why even bother? It felt very second class and all round cheap.

Because you can fit way more in one container, save room, save weight, make it so they don't have to open a new bottle every 3 rows. It's the same liquid bro.

Cipango

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:36 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 21):
Because you can fit way more in one container, save room, save weight, make it so they don't have to open a new bottle every 3 rows. It's the same liquid bro.

I completely agree however it just felt wrong. It's like being served caviar in a Styrofoam container - that just was never the intended presentation.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

9w748capt

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:43 pm

Quoting cipango (Reply 19):
It felt very second class and all round cheap.

That just about sums about the experience at USdbaAA these days. Just pathetic.

Back on topic though, man, DL just knows no bounds. The kicker in all of this is that it was Y class - and DL has shown multiple times they could care less about the back of the cabin - from the FFP devals to these service cutbacks. Nothing's going to change. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if J service is from the same tetra pak.

cougar15

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:44 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 21):

C´mon guys, - a Little bit of class please! Is it not about service & customer perception! Forget the flag above my username, I am one of those Eu consumers forced to constantly fly between the EU and US! and if the flight is less than 7,5 hours, my Company will only pay for Y! I am sorry, call me old fashioned - but I do feel more appreciated if my glass of wine is served out of a bottle, rather than a tetra pack!
but maybe I am just the wrong sort of consumer, and should fly a european carrier instead? I appreciate the saving effort, I appreciate the difficult times US carriers faced for many (the last 13 years), but is it not about time to ´up the game again' and return to former Service Levels? Record profits, but where does it leave the consumer? me!!! I will go out of my way to avoid US carriers in my travels, I dont really want to but there is an issue with the product they offer.......................!

Cubsrule

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:49 pm

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 24):
but I do feel more appreciated if my glass of wine is served out of a bottle, rather than a tetra pack!

I'd rather have good wine out of a tetra pack than bad wine out of a bottle (which is usually what I get on AF--the wines may come from bottles but are not typically suited to consumption in the air). I suspect most Americans would agree. Cultural divide, maybe?

MayaviaERJ190

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:50 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 20):
You need to travel more in eastern and northern Europe (places like Poland, where when in rural areas, I sometimes went months without seeing a bottle of wine).

No, I don't. Poland amounts for less than 3% of the EU GDP. Is this your focus market? Would even countries with a smaller percentage be? Or would you focus to give a better impression at least in the Dutch market (AMS, reason for this topic)?

32andBelow

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:52 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 25):
I'd rather have good wine out of a tetra pack than bad wine out of a bottle (which is usually what I get on AF--the wines may come from bottles but are not typically suited to consumption in the air). I suspect most Americans would agree. Cultural divide, maybe?

We would rather have more wine then less wine   Box=more wine.

DAL763ER

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:58 pm

I appreciate the saving effort, I appreciate the difficult times US carriers faced for many (the last 13 years), but is it not about time to ´up the game again' and return to former Service Levels? Record profits, but where does it leave the consumer? me!!! I will go out of my way to avoid US carriers in my travels, I dont really want to but there is an issue with the product they offer.......................!

No. The only way to avoid getting into bankruptcy again is to keep on saving and making profits quarter after quarter. I'm pretty sure improving Y service is not a priority. People will normally fly whoever is cheapest, even though some might go "I'm never flying your airline again.". If you avoid US carriers, someone else will take your seat, it's not that big of a deal. Get your company to pay for J.

mozart

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:59 pm

If Tetra Pak wine is so great and equal to bottled wine, why do they not serve it in First Class and Business, but only in Economy?

But coming to think of it, if the red wine that they serve on DL is the usual plonk one gets served in North America and that is consumed by 99% of wine drinkers there (and I explicitly exclude those, although few in numbers, that have a great wine culture and I explicitly applaud the quality of many US wines, they are absolutely world class) - then it doesn't matter whether you serve it from a bottle, Tetra Pak or a shampoo bottle.

Quoting 330lover (Reply 14):
But I agree it's not very stylish... Long live Air France (at least for this aspect) !

Dream on. Air France is going down the style-less path very rapidly. In European Business class they serve Champagne in plastic glasses.

And their wine menu has usually only one white (French, naturally) and two reds (French, naturally) - served in tumblers!! And this is not cheapo Economy, this is Air France long haul First Class! So to elevate Air France to be the benchmark of style: really not.

bond007

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:04 pm

Wow....if the F/A had poured it in bottle first then served you, or filled your glass out of sight in the galley, you would not have known the difference..... except it may well be of better quality since the Tetra Pak is a far superior storage method than a glass bottle.

Few folks, and many sommeliers and wine makers, cannot tell the difference between a $10 bottle of wine, or a $100 bottle, or even which wine is from their own vineyard. Put food coloring in white wine and the 'experts' start telling you all about the red grape flavors etc...

Wine snobs don't do very well at blind tasting, which is always very laughable to me  

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

MayaviaERJ190

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:07 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 27):
We would rather have more wine then less wine   Box=more wine.

I'm loving all the different points of view, especially this one about the amount of wine.

But... At the bottom line I am still a strong believer of word of mouth (or word of app) publicity and reputation building; and if I were a marketing executive at Delta I would really worry about the millions of Europeans that may just crack with laughter at the US airlines serving what they may consider cheap, tacky, American products.

thegoldenargosy

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:18 pm

Delta has used the tetra paks in coach for several years. The wine is free and makes Y somewhat more bearable.

bond007

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:22 pm

Quoting MayaviaERJ190 (Reply 31):
At the bottom line I am still a strong believer of word of mouth (or word of app) publicity and reputation building; and if I were a marketing executive at Delta I would really worry about the millions of Europeans that may just crack with laughter at the US airlines serving what they may consider cheap, tacky, American products.

Just came back from Europe. Both families I visited, that drink lots of good wine ....had wine boxes!

Boxes of wine have been around in Europe way before they have just started to be seen as 'acceptable' over in the USA. We were drinking wine out of boxes in Europe 20 years ago or more.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

Planesmart

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:30 pm

Is it not about service & customer perception

It is indeed.

Easiest and most cost-effective ways to differentiate a service like air travel, especially in Y, are the little things, perceived as making one business stand out from others. Is wine served from a tetra pack versus a bottle one of them?

Would being served your wine from a tetra pack at a café be OK? Or at a bar?

So often when the ME3 arrive, the USA response is pricing, rather than looking at the product. Keep heading down market, and you are just lining up as a high cost LCC competitor, which other than for protected domestic services, isn't a strategy for long-term growth.

Cubsrule

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:31 pm

Quoting MayaviaERJ190 (Reply 26):
No, I don't. Poland amounts for less than 3% of the EU GDP. Is this your focus market? Would even countries with a smaller percentage be? Or would you focus to give a better impression at least in the Dutch market (AMS, reason for this topic)?

You missed the point. Saying that "even the most humble European" has a good sense of wine culture is as much of an incorrect generalization as saying that "all North Americans" like tacos.

Quoting mozart (Reply 29):
If Tetra Pak wine is so great and equal to bottled wine, why do they not serve it in First Class and Business, but only in Economy?

AA serves mini-bottle wine in domestic F. The mini-bottles usually do not leave the galley.

SouthernDC9

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:45 pm

I hear you - with Delta barely scraping by, you would think they would raise their standards so they could just print money like Air France does.

Ah, Air France... I've heard they have actual vineyards on their planes, where you can go out and pick your own grapes. But even AF can't beat Emirates, where wine in coach is poured from bespoke carafes hand-engraved with each passenger's family tree, which are broken to bits over the flight attendants' heads after use so that the experience can never again be replicated - why oh why can't Delta be more like them???????? (Answer: Because America!)

Our society is so wonderfully decadent, I love how the fortunate among us (and often the less-fortunate) can take so much for granted.
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

32andBelow

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:47 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 35):
incorrect generalization as saying that "all North Americans" like tacos

There are people that don't like tacos?

mozart

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:50 pm

Quoting bond007 (Reply 33):
Just came back from Europe. Both families I visited, that drink lots of good wine ....had wine boxes!

Boxes of wine have been around in Europe way before they have just started to be seen as 'acceptable' over in the USA. We were drinking wine out of boxes in Europe 20 years ago or more.

Jimbo

No offense to your friends but the only people in Europe that I know that drink wine from TetraPak are the homeless guys sleeping on the pavement. And sometimes at some "festivities for the masses" where huge quantities of alcohol must be served to a large crowd and quantity is more important than quality.

And I challenge you to find any of the better wines ("better" meaning in the upper third of the G&M or the Johnson or any other renowned wine guide) in a European wine shop served in anything other than glass bottles. Or in any good restaurant.

I just argue that it's just very un-stylish. Rightly or wrongly, Americans tend to fuss less with style, that's the great thing about being a recent culture, there's no legacy that lies like a burden on people's "etiquette". So more people in Europe might be shocked about having wine from a TetraPak.

Note: I am *not* arguing that wine tastes better out of glass bottles (although it does make a difference whether you drink it from a proper glass or a plastic cup).

I don't even argue that mid-range wines taste differently from a TetraPak than from a glass bottle. But the fact is that in Europe only the lower end stuff gets sold in TetraPak, so the reputation that TetraPak wine tastes terrible has probably nothing to do with the fact that it comes in a TetraPak, but simply that the stuff that gets filled into TetraPak is undrinkable plonk. So the passenger cannot be blamed for thinking that what he was served was not even trying to pretend to be good wine.

And the "sommeliers don't find a difference" argument: well, they do find a difference. Let's assume they cannot taste the difference immediately. But a serious sommelier would look at the bottle, the colour of the wine, whether there are sediments, smell the cork - all of those things cannot be done if wine is packaged the same way as washing powder.

BWI5OH

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:52 pm

I just don't get it. If you want wine poured from a bottle and your dinner to be filet mignon, than spend the money and take a 5 day cruise across the pond on the QM2. If you're easily offended by Tetra Pak wine, there's a simple solution. Don't order it. Why does everything so black and white turn to fifty shades of grey when it comes to airline service? I fly first OFTEN, and I wouldn't give two craps what the wine came in. Sit back, relax, stop complaining and enjoy your flight.

P.S- I do not work for the airlines. I'm just an everyday traveler who lives in reality.
"It's all fun and games until the cops show up"

IADCA

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:52 pm

What is it about being at 35,000 feet that suddenly turns everyone into a professional food and service critic? If you want to feel like you're at a restaurant, go to one. If you want to feel like you're flying F, pay for it. If you want to pay economy class prices, accept what that entails.

Cubsrule

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:53 pm

Quoting mozart (Reply 38):
And I challenge you to find any of the better wines ("better" meaning in the upper third of the G&M or the Johnson or any other renowned wine guide) in a European wine shop served in anything other than glass bottles. Or in any good restaurant.

Which European carriers are serving what you term "better" wines in Coach?

panamair

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:55 pm

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 23):
and DL has shown multiple times they could care less about the back of the cabin - from the FFP devals to these service cutbacks. Nothing's going to change. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if J service is from the same tetra pak.

What a load of nonsense.....if they didn't care about Y, why did they start to provide a water bottle, free eyeshades, and earplugs, etc., to international Y pax? Many European airlines don't even provide these things to their regular Y pax. They also provide hot towelettes, and even menu cards on transpacific flights.

And FYI, the 'box wines' have been around for years now on DL in international Y. And apparently only now has one person chosen to complain??

Bongodog1964

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:56 pm

Quoting trinxat (Reply 4):
Well, I take it that there is an element of pouring wine into a glass that makes the experience already enjoyable even before trying it. When someone pours any wine from a Tetra Pak into a plastic glass the size of a starbucks frappuccino one, fills it half way, and renders it to the customer full of foam..... well you think I actually tried it?

Aah a wine snob, didn't taste it but knows it must be avoided just because it came from a box.

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 9):
But the ME3 Invasion will lead to some serious rethinking on intl. Routes hopefully, finally.....!!

Come the day when the Mullahs impose themselves on the ME3 you won't see a drop of wine, box or bottle.

Quoting MayaviaERJ190 (Reply 18):
Remember that even the most humble European is educated in wine culture and this culture is at their core. Europe is not a market to mess with.

What a load of rubbish, many Europeans only drink lager, they wouldn't touch wine if it were free.

IADCA

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:00 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 41):
Which European carriers are serving what you term "better" wines in Coach?

And moreover, what difference does it make? Most everyone can't really taste much of a difference at altitude. Methinks the people here are trying to drink the packaging and marketing, not the wine.

airDFW

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:09 pm

Quoting bond007 (Reply 30):
Wow....if the F/A had poured it in bottle first then served you, or filled your glass out of sight in the galley, you would not have known the difference..... except it may well be of better quality since the Tetra Pak is a far superior storage method than a glass bottle.

My eyes popped when I saw the company name and DL and flying in one sentence all together. Thanks for the vote of confidence as I work for the company.

If DL serves wine and hands it over in a plastic cup, is that fine? Usually wine snobs want to drink wine in a plastic cup turn their noses at it, don't they?

Polot

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:11 pm

Quoting IADCA (Reply 44):
And moreover, what difference does it make? Most everyone can't really taste much of a difference at altitude. Methinks the people here are trying to drink the packaging and marketing, not the wine.

Of course people are just drinking the packaging and marketing. Studies have proven time and time again that most people can't really taste much of a difference between cheap and expensive wine even at sea level, let alone alone 30,000 feet in the air. Its all marketing, and even professional winetasters/judges fall for it.

DL's wine is probably the exact same quality as AFs. But because it is not out of a bottle, or a slightly difference shade of red, or any other excuse it must taste different and of course be of lower quality.

cougar15

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:28 pm

Quoting bongodog1964 (Reply 43):
What a load of rubbish, many Europeans only drink lager, they wouldn't touch wine if it were free.

dear oh dear, is this now turing into a ´Continental´versus those on that little Island' ? Darft! but hey, let´s get back to the issue at Hand! Dear Delta, 10 Cents extra for a bottle versus paper and your ´customer perception´ might finally start heading in the right direction again!

Quoting bongodog1964 (Reply 43):
Come the day when the Mullahs impose themselves on the ME3 you won't see a drop of wine, box or bottle.

yep. but those Mullahs sure are giving that flag carriers of yours (and mine) a bloody good run for their Money (and winning). Food for thought, but let´s get back to my favourite subject it is all about (perhaps perceived,, but anyway) Service Levels on/in the soft product in this case - and lets not talk about the hard product in this instance!

MayaviaERJ190

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:28 pm

This has become a very interesting debate in many ways and I will continue tomorrow since I have other things to do today and I need to get disconnected.

Greetings from my friends aboard an AM 737 doing a domestic flight from MEX to our northwestern wine country in Ensenada (TIJ), specifically to the Santo Tomás and Monte Xanic vineyards, last year. Santo Tomás is served in Economy and Monte Xanic in Business. Both free of charge.

Cubsrule

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:35 pm

Quoting IADCA (Reply 44):
Most everyone can't really taste much of a difference at altitude. Methinks the people here are trying to drink the packaging and marketing, not the wine.

And it's virtually impossible for people to have the same tastes in the air as on the ground. I can't speak for others, of course, but my tastes in the air skew much further toward fruity notes (so I can taste the fact that it's wine).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos