Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PanAm747LHR

RE: Delta: Red Wine In Tetra Pak (Yuk..)

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:35 pm

Honestly, do you hear yourself? Yes, the Merlot was "the" red wine. How many European carriers offer more than one choice of red or white in Economy? As you said, you were in Economy. Expecting more than one choice of red or white is silly.

Also, your ticket was cheaper because of the tetra pack... Delta saves heaps of money a year on fuel by carrying those tetra packs instead of glass bottles. I can't remember the exact number now (I'll be happy to look) but the amount of weight taken off the planes by removing glass bottles over the course of a year was staggering.

And lastly, I was at one of the wine tastings where we tried all of those Tetra pack wines, and the ones DL chose are actually quite good. Many of those we tried compared well to very good $20 wines in traditional bottles.

So if this Frenchman can get his nose out of the air long enough to see what's infront of him and recognize that it's not all bad, maybe you can too...

Bon voyage and happy flying!

usdcaguy

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 97):
I think you may be confusing "European" with "French" or "Italian", or maybe "Spanish" and "Greek"

Even then, many Europeans simply drink what's cheap. I have met very few who actually pick wine from a specific vineyard when they look at a wine list. They simply say they want red wine and get whatever the house serves in a carafe.

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 98):

What you buy at a fast food varies greatly from what you buy at a Taqueria in San Antonio or El Paso.

You're right about that. Chico's Tacos in El Paso has many more fans than Taco Bell.

AAMDanny

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:50 pm

I can tell You now from working in the service delivery department for a airline.... Many airlines serve wine from plastic.... even the glass in Y you drink from is plastic... Can You imagine the overall cost if all the wine was loaded in glass?

If You want wine from a glass bottle and to drink it in a glassware type glass.... I suggest You fly F or J my dear fellow Anetter  

frmrCapCadet

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:58 pm

Fifty years ago cheap wine could often be of poorer quality than more expensive wine. Now chemists test for sugars, tannins, and who knows what else. Such wines are then blended with other wines to balance out any insufficiencies. There really isn't any excuse for poor wine anymore.

So wines around the world are somewhat homogenized in balance and flavor. Blinded wine tests have repeatedly shown that very few consumers can tell the difference. I have been quite surprised at how consistent most boxed red wines are, they match the typical balance and flavor of my preferred style of red wines.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

goboeing

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:01 pm

You're going to pee it out in the lav an hour later.

Just an FYI.

seabosdca

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:05 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 21):
It's the same liquid bro.

You really want to waste fuel and increase ticket prices just so you don't have to look at (horrors) a wine box?

I love good wine. But it would be an utter waste in the airline setting (and not just in Y). You can't taste things correctly at altitude and at the extreme low humidity in an airline cabin. So cheap wine is more appropriate. And there's no benefit to carrying around heavy, expensive, and space-inefficient glass bottles when the same stuff is available in a much more practical box.

UALWN

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:24 pm

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 106):
You can't taste things correctly at altitude and at the extreme low humidity in an airline cabin. So cheap wine is more appropriate.

Hmmm, then I wonder why airlines even bother advertising the excellent wines they serve on F and, to a lesser extend, J. The fact is that, at altitude or not, with low or high humidity, good wine tastes better than bad wine. And wines you find served on Tetra Brik are uniformly bad.
AT7/111/146/Avro/CRJ/CR9/EMB/ERJ/E75/F50/100/L15/DC9/D10/M8X/717/727/737/747/757/767/777/787/AB6/310/32X/330/340/350/380

Rara

Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Quoting PanAm747LHR (Reply 101):
Honestly, do you hear yourself? Yes, the Merlot was "the" red wine.

Nothing wrong with that. But read what he wrote. The FA said "ah you want the Merlot" or something, as if they had specifically chosen it or they had a choice to start with.

How many European carriers offer more than one choice of red or white in Economy?

I don't know. But the last times I've flown LH, they had several choices available. They also carry several brands of beer in economy.

And lastly, I was at one of the wine tastings where we tried all of those Tetra pack wines, and the ones DL chose are actually quite good. Many of those we tried compared well to very good $20 wines in traditional bottles.

I find it hard to believe that. Do you have a source or more information? Which wine does DL use in economy?

I know (by coincidence) that LH uses ca. 4 Euros wines in economy and ca. 9 Euro wines in business class. Don't know about first class. Also, AF's economy class wine is ca. 6 Euros per bottle when bought in a store, so they probably get it for like 4 Euros a bottle as well. They taste accordingly.. not great but not bad. I find it hard to believe that DL uses the equivalent of a 20 USD wine.

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 102):
Even then, many Europeans simply drink what's cheap. I have met very few who actually pick wine from a specific vineyard when they look at a wine list. They simply say they want red wine and get whatever the house serves in a carafe.

That doesn't really have anything to do with each other. Nothing wrong with drinking the house wine, which in a good restaurant will be an affordable and decent choice. It doesn't mean that people don't know anything about wine. Also, just because you know the differences doesn't mean you can afford it. I may have a meal to which a Sauvignon Blanc will pair much better than a Chardonnay. If the Chardonnay is 8 Euros and the Sauvignon is 16, I will still order the Chardonnay.

Quoting kevin752 (Reply 100):
Wine is wine.

Haha, yeah.   Shows that DL is doing the right thing though. Why invest in a decent wine when people are equally happy with a plastic glass of junk served from a Tetra Pak. Know your customers.

Quoting bond007 (Reply 93):
A serious sommelier (or educated wine snob) would never sniff a cork ...terrible show of somebody uneducated about wine but who thinks they know everything. You should taste the wine, and smell it, straight from the glass....or Tetra Pak of course.

There's nothing wrong with smelling a cork. If the cork looks suspect you should smell it. It already gives an indication whether it's just an optical defect or the wine may be corrupted. Smelling the cork isn't standard practice in tasting a wine, that's all.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

seabosdca

Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:58 pm

Quoting UALWN (Reply 107):
then I wonder why airlines even bother advertising the excellent wines they serve on F and, to a lesser extend, J

Because self-important people like the OP feel their special status would be threatened if they had to drink normal wine. In the setting of an airliner at altitude, I would bet a lot of money that a blind taste test would show these passengers can't tell the difference. Just like the box instead of a bottle makes the OP upset, a common wine label makes other passengers upset.

Quoting UALWN (Reply 107):
And wines you find served on Tetra Brik are uniformly bad.

Not actually true. Some mid-priced wines that are more than good enough for this purpose are available in boxes in bulk. Not every wine in a box is Two-Buck Chuck.

[Edited 2014-12-09 09:59:38]

PlanesNTrains

Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:13 pm

Quoting lufbra (Reply 99):
If people want cheap fares AND great service

Fares were cheap? I remember them being similar to today on many flights we took. Yes, good meals and more legroom though.

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 102):
Chico's Tacos in El Paso has many more fans than Taco Bell.

Setting the bar a little low there, aren't ya?  

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

TR1

Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:13 pm

I regularly work the YC Service Leader position on DL's Trans-Atlantic flights. While there may be a perception issue I have yet to have anyone complain about the wines being served from a tetra-pak container as opposed to a bottle. I think the tetra-paks allow us to carry more wine. When we still had the small bottles there were times when we ran out of wine in YC.

DAL763ER

Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:35 pm

Quoting trinxat (Reply 67):
Some people are so willing to be abused from all sides that they have totally given away their dignity as customers that pay for a service and demand something back, it's amazing

Yes I like to be pampered, treated and taken care of..... is that actually wrong or what??

I like nice things myself. A lot of them. Often. But I'm not sure if the cost of an economy seat should create any expectation of service and pampering. That's for the other cabins. You did get what you paid for - they got you to your destination safely and pretty much on time.

USAirALB

Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:46 pm

Wine is wine. Cheap wine is cheap wine, and good wine is good wine. It doesn't matter where it comes from.

Heck, before I was 21 me and my friends would walk around events and functions sipping wine we put in plastic or fast food cups. It's all the same.

The key is to avoid air becoming in contact with wine. I think that most Americans for the most part aren't familiar with wine in tetra paks, and they associate boxed wine with Franzia.

It is fun to play slap the bag though...
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

UALWN

Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:52 pm

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 109):
Because self-important people like the OP feel their special status would be threatened if they had to drink normal wine.

Are you implying that everybody who flies J or F are self-important people?

In the setting of an airliner at altitude, I would bet a lot of money that a blind taste test would show these passengers can't tell the difference.

And I'd happily take that bet and do the blind tasting, and you would lose the bet.

Not every wine in a box is Two-Buck Chuck.

Actually some of the varieties of 2-buck Chuck are much better than the average wine in Tetra Brick. Others, instead, are dreadful.
AT7/111/146/Avro/CRJ/CR9/EMB/ERJ/E75/F50/100/L15/DC9/D10/M8X/717/727/737/747/757/767/777/787/AB6/310/32X/330/340/350/380

cougar15

Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:55 pm

Quoting DAL763ER (Reply 112):
I like nice things myself. A lot of them. Often. But I'm not sure if the cost of an economy seat should create any expectation of service and pampering. That's for the other cabins. You did get what you paid for - they got you to your destination safely and pretty much on time.

second that and fully agree, just that you would NEVER receive a wine in a tetra pack (and this discussion I think is not about a paper box, but about the Overall Service levels, irrespective of class ) on any carrier that does not fly a US flag! but then we are just spoilt I guess & choose to reject US Airlines and their Service Levels because we are pampered brats! why is everyone defineding this? 911 is 13 years ago, profits are at record Levels, I will not understand why you US consumers not only defend but continue accepting the crappy Service? anyone ever got a Wine in Tetra on a European,Aspac or Mid east Airline? I very much doubt it!

[Edited 2014-12-09 10:58:43]

[Edited 2014-12-09 10:59:36]
some you lose, others you can´t win!

Planesmart

Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:30 pm

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 114):
I will not understand why you US consumers not only defend but continue accepting the crappy Service?

Exactly. If you defend and accept poor service, guess what you get more of? By all means be patriotic, support locals. But...

The thread highlights wine, as a barometer of other service issues. But it's not really about wine. It is about US-based airlines and posters, unhappy about a declining share of non-US originating business in all classes.

Please set the customer and staff satisfaction targets a little higher, and profit targets a little lower.

S75752

Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:51 pm

Quoting panamair (Reply 91):
Yes, all alcoholic beverages are free in Economy on all long-haul international Delta flights. AA offers free beer and wine in Economy on their long-haul international flights. UA is the only one that still charges for alcoholic beverages in Economy on international flights.

So what's the big deal here then? It was free.

FREE. At least, no extra cost on top of the fare, unlike UA. It was better than UA.

Okay, now someone could come along and do the whole "You're paying for everyone else's wine" stuff NK or G4 does, I forget which advertised about that. But.... At least it wasn't charged for off of UA.

Seriously, DL is a great carrier, there's no reason to bash them. More generous meals than UA and maybe AA, stronger aircraft refurbishment, unlike UA who sat around and procrastinated as long as they could before giving a half effort handwave, and AA/US who could not be bothered at all to touch their 763 and 752. Oh yeah, and free alcohol, not like that makes a difference to me personally. I'd rather there simply be more food overall.

seabosdca

Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Quoting UALWN (Reply 113):
Are you implying that everybody who flies J or F are self-important people?

Certainly not. Only those who would lose their ... stuff ... over seeing wine come out of a box, particularly in Y. Or who would make a decision about which airline to take based on how expensive the wine it advertises is.

And I'd happily take that bet and do the blind tasting, and you would lose the bet.

I'm confident I wouldn't lose the bet, especially in an airliner at altitude. Do you really have a better nose than the sommeliers who couldn't tell the difference between mid-price and expensive wines in blind tests -- on the ground?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis

Actually some of the varieties of 2-buck Chuck are much better than the average wine in Tetra Brick. Others, instead, are dreadful.

Some Two Buck Chuck bottles are OK (I've found it inconsistent even within the same varietal). So are some boxed wines. And more than OK is wasted on an aircraft.

We're no longer in a world where boxed wine is Franzia.

ASFlyer

Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:54 pm

you gotta love that, thus far, there are 117 (with this, 118) replies to a post complaining about wine being served from a tetra container. Meanwhile,

http://thp.org/knowledge-center/know...-world-facts-about-hunger-poverty/

But hey, it's good that we can have this conversation, because in the grand scheme of things it's important that one's taste buds not be offended by the idea that wine came out of a box.

[Edited 2014-12-09 13:54:42]

LandSweetLand

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:12 pm

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 117):
I'm confident I wouldn't lose the bet, especially in an airliner at altitude. Do you really have a better nose than the sommeliers who couldn't tell the difference between mid-price and expensive wines in blind tests -- on the ground?

Cheap is sometimes better too apparently.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/foo...ition/story-fneuz92c-1227135155749

kgaiflyer

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:19 pm

I found this on Facebook, and it seemed relevant (and clever   ).

http://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1437519436388934&fref=nf

toobz

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:33 pm

Omg lol first world problems   not a big deal. not big taste difference. people love to complain. I've worked customer service and it's amazing what people bitch at. vote with your wallet man. oh...it seems you did when u booked the lowest fare you could find. wow.. you want bottle service book C or J next time. you will be a happy customer instead of a disgruntled one over a Tetra Pak.

PanAm747LHR

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:43 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 107):
I find it hard to believe that. Do you have a source or more information? Which wine does DL use in economy?

I am my source... I have been to a number of corporate events, one of which was a wine tasting where we tried tetra pack Y Class wines. They were great. Granted, they're not paired on board with fabulous cheeses and yummy deserts, but our service is not half bad and MILES ahead of AA and UA. If you don't like the wine, how about a free cocktail? Try getting that on AA or UA...

jetwet1

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:19 pm

Quoting flyingcaT (Reply 7):
Wine packaged in plastic does not alter the taste or texture of wine. it is actually more carbon neutral and safer for the environment. Plastic use is going up and attitudes are shifting, however their will be die hard fanatics, similar to people into vinyl LPs, that will not accept the change.

The wine argument I can live with, but dissing Vinyl LP's.....Not good.

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 9):

funny that, Vinyl Record sales have risen over 280!!% in the last 3 years! must be a bunch of old School People out there! funny, I thought and it is common knowledge that they went back from CD´s to Vinyl !

Exactly, though not an "old school" person by any means, there is a certain audio quality to LP's that cd's etc cannot capture, or the systems themselves filter out....Funnily though, many years ago I had a Sony DAT player in my car, the audio quality from that thing blew CD's out of the water.

Quoting 330lover (Reply 14):
There are nice wines in Tetra Pack (and bag-in-box) and crappy wines in a bottle...
I'd rather have a good tasting wine out of a Tetra Pack than a bad wine out of a bottle.

Exactly, I drink what tastes good to me, however, when flying in coach, I do not expect fantastic wines, heck even in international first I do not expect a bottle of Caymus to be served....

Quoting ytz (Reply 15):
And yet people say that Korean Vice-Chairwoman was too harsh on the cabin crew that served nuts in a packet and not a ramekin.

So true, though honestly, I understand where she is coming from, you work hard to push a culture through a company, making sure that those who spend the $$$$ get exactly what the company wants them to get, and then someone is stupid enough to serve the VP in charge of the dept. something in the wrong container. Do I agree with the screaming and yelling, no of course not, but I can understand her not being very happy about the whole situation.

Rara

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:49 pm

Quoting DAL763ER (Reply 111):
I like nice things myself. A lot of them. Often. But I'm not sure if the cost of an economy seat should create any expectation of service and pampering. That's for the other cabins.

If you come to my house as a guest, you won't be pampered, you won't be given Champagne and a red rose, I will not present you with an expensive amenity kit or neal down in front of you when I speak to you, but you will be given a meal and a glass of wine (from a bottle). Somehow that's what I expect from an airline as well, regardless of booking class.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

travelin man

Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:18 am

Quoting trinxat (Reply 67):
I see lots of comments accusing me and others of being snobs or not telling the difference between good and bad wines.... guys, as others have pointed out, this has nothing to to with the quality of the wine (honestly I could not care less at that point). It's the message that it sends to customers....

I happen to like the message of "we are saving fuel and being more green by not lugging around unnecessary glass bottles."

I notice none of the "OMG they need bottles" commenters are even addressing the environmental benefits of using tetra packs.

cougar15

Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:29 am

Quoting travelin man (Reply 125):
I notice none of the "OMG they need bottles" commenters are even addressing the environmental benefits of using tetra packs.

in Europe, glass is recyceled and used multiple times!Tetra or Paper is ... well turned into (cheap) toilet paper for ist last 'turn & burn´!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

travelin man

Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:33 am

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 126):
in Europe, glass is recyceled and used multiple times!Tetra or Paper is ... well turned into (cheap) toilet paper for ist last 'turn & burn´!

Oh, and all the fuel used hauling around the extra weight???

32andBelow

Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:35 am

And the fact that a bottle could be emptied in literally one row of economy.

S75752

Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:47 am

I for one appreciate the lack of glass for other reasons. As I mentioned above, less possibility of sharp pointy things that are impossible to clean up!

Rara

Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:01 am

That might be because that's an insane argument. Every single bit of an airline operation is totally unsustainable from an environmental point of view. People flying from Paris to New York emit several times the amount of CO2 that humans could savely emit on average. The only way to make aviation "greener" is to reduce it, full stop. The problem isn't lifting a couple of 0.4kg wine bottles into the air, the problem is lifting hundreds of tons of plane and fuel. Once you do that, the weight of a wine bottle is just a drop in the ocean.

b787900

Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:49 am

This thread is completely uselessness and serves no purposes other than to bash DL for no good reason. It is unreasonable to expect DL TATL Y service to be on par with EK on ULH sectors. Carriers based in the EU are hardly any better than most US carriers. What I find rather unusual is the fact that most flights I have taken in the past with AF, KL, LH, in Y etc were nothing to write home about. Yet, some of my most memorable flights (apart from BA and ME3) were always with DL, generous catering, friendly, attentive and welcoming staff on the ground and in the air, good on time performance, and the list goes on. I will gladly fly DL across the pond over LH, which I did not like at all. Robotic staff, no genuine friendliness (but they did get the job done), catering was not as generous as DL either. EU carriers are light years ahead of US carriers... Yeah right!
Flew in: 717, 732-7M9, 744, 74H, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 772, 77L, 77W, 788, 789, 781, 223, 313, 318, 319, 32D, 320, 32A, 32N, 321, 32B, 32Q, 332, 333, 343, 346, 359, 351, 388, M11, M88, ER3, ER4, E70, E75, E90, E95, CR2, CR7, CR9, F50, F70, AN-24, TU5

UALWN

Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:17 am

Only those who would lose their ... stuff ... over seeing wine come out of a box, particularly in Y.

But you didn't reply to my question. Why do airlines bother with better wines in J and F? And why doesn't DL serve wine from a Tetra Brik in J and F?

Do you really have a better nose than the sommeliers who couldn't tell the difference between mid-price and expensive wines in blind tests

I (and many other people) can confidently tell you the difference between garbage and decent wine. At altitude or otherwise. And this is all we are discussing here.

And more than OK is wasted on an aircraft.

Again, try telling that to the airlines who provide good or even excellent wine in J and F. And in any case, Id argue that wines on Tetra Brik are simply not OK.

toobz

Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:07 am

UAL..the reason bottled wine is served in J is because somebody paid a lot more money to sit in that cabin. You know that...nobody is arguing that nice wine out of a bottle isn't more presentable. But it's Y and it's free. Unlike some other US carriers.

bond007

Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:09 am

Quoting Rara (Reply 130):
The problem isn't lifting a couple of 0.4kg wine bottles into the air, the problem is lifting hundreds of tons of plane and fuel. Once you do that, the weight of a wine bottle is just a drop in the ocean.

Well, the problem is producing wine in huge volumes, storing it, and transporting it. It's obviously more cost effective to use aluminum, boxes, and Tetra Paks, rather than glass. That's why they do it. We'd all be drinking lemonade and milk out of bottles if this wasn't the case.

Quoting UALWN (Reply 132):
I (and many other people) can confidently tell you the difference between garbage and decent wine. At altitude or otherwise.

Numerous blind taste tests have shown otherwise...and many so called wine 'connoisseurs' won't do blind testing for this reason...well, they'll tell you other reasons of course.

jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

seahawk

Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:21 am

Quoting bond007 (Reply 134):
Well, the problem is producing wine in huge volumes, storing it, and transporting it. It's obviously more cost effective to use aluminum, boxes, and Tetra Paks, rather than glass. That's why they do it. We'd all be drinking lemonade and milk out of bottles if this wasn't the case.

I think that is the problem. In Germany Lemonade or Milk are still offered in glass bottles. Here wine in Tetra Paks is generally really bad and cheap. In the US this is, afaik, different and Tetra Paks can contain some decent wines. As Delta is an American airline I would expect them to use what is normal for the Americans and not the Germans.

trinxat
Topic Author

Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:56 am

You know, instead of writing to DL and complain about this, I will be kind and give them instead a few more ideas to save costs and be greener in line with their strategy, given they are reviewing their cabin setup now. I am sure many hardcore DL a.netters with love this and enthusiastically comply to these rules for the sake of the environment and DL own profits

How about:
- Sharing glasses - one plastic glass per passenger is a waste. Glasses will be shared every 2 or 3 passengers depending on seating configuration

- No napkins - Use your sleeves, that is what they are for

- Eat with your hands - C'mon do you really need plastic cutlery? How snobbish... and the knife is always useless anyway. Less waste and good luck stirring the hot tea with your middle finger

- No reading lights - Why do you need it if everyone has an ipad or a reader? Out

Of course al of these elements will be offered at a cost for non-compliant, environmentally offender passengers

C'mon DL guys, bring these suggestions up, you can become the employee of the month!

sassiciai

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:31 am

Quoting UALWN (Reply 132):
I (and many other people) can confidently tell you the difference between garbage and decent wine. At altitude or otherwise. And this is all we are discussing here.

I count myself as one of these "many other people". I'd accept any blind tasting, at sea level or at 39000', and while I will not tell you the name on the label and probably not the country of origin, I'll get the main grape varietal most times for mainstream wines. More importantly, I'll sort out 4 different glasses into quality order, and be confident of the outcome

In Europe, we are increasingly using vacuum-packed boxed wines, some of them not bad at all as "vin de table". The cheapest bottled wine one can buy in Belgium supermarkets costs around 2.50EUR. When you take into account transport, bottling, labels, stopper, growing, picking, mark-up, etc, the wine in that bottle probably represents 50cents or less. Worse wine than that cannot be sold economically in a bottle, but just can in a tetra pack. Here in Europe, tetra pack = crap!

Good luck, Delta fliers! Cheers!

MillwallSean

Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:08 am

Oki so DL does a cheap Charlie and serve tetras in economy class. Lovely the race to the bottom has a new leader. With that said its hardly an experience to have wine in economy class on any airline so we dont need to act like DL has gone from serving Romanee Contis to tetrapacks overnight...

However this thread is hilarious, so many people are going out of their way to come with ideas for why in fact tetras are a sign of good wines and class. Seriously sometimes its time to step up and see a thing for what it is and its called costcutting. tetrawine sucks, is cheap and foul. DL saves a buck and they look to save every cent, nothing wrong with that either. Serving the cheapest wine you can find to economy class passengers works, when passengers books on price they cant expect drinkable wines and they wont leave for another carrier either.

I think this shows exactly how important economy class passengers products really are for decision makers. Were the third class of the old oceanliners these days. Lock the doors if there is an accident kind of third class. They would be bankrupt without us but were not fancy and the more they can save on us the better for them.

To be honest Id rather have the food i can buy on lowcosts than eat most economy class food. When you buy you usually get ok food and buying a beer means you get a beer etc.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

UALWN

Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:59 am

Quoting bond007 (Reply 134):
Numerous blind taste tests have shown otherwise...

No, they haven't. One thing is to try to trick a sommelier by presenting similar wines at different price ranges, an another thing is, as I said, to sort out good wine from garbage wine.

Rara

Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:39 pm

Quoting UALWN (Reply 139):
No, they haven't. One thing is to try to trick a sommelier by presenting similar wines at different price ranges, an another thing is, as I said, to sort out good wine from garbage wine.

Indeed. If good wine was indistinguishable from garbage wine, I'd save a LOT of money.

High altitude might be detrimental to the taste buds, but (unfortunately) that doesn't suddenly make bad wine taste good. I've been served absolutely horrible wine on Air China (from a bottle no less). Great Wall something. The high altitude didn't diminish the low quality at all.

bond007

Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Quoting UALWN (Reply 139):
One thing is to try to trick a sommelier by presenting similar wines at different price ranges

Nobody is 'tricking' anybody in these taste tests. They simply cannot determine which wines are the so-called 'best', and which ones are not. Even white wine colored red with flavorless food coloring fools them....I'll accept that might be a trick, but they fail anyway.

I don't believe we are trying to distinguish between garbage wine and great wine here either - it's between a cheap wine in a Tetra Pak and a slightly less cheap wine in a bottle. We'll agree to disagree whether you can tell the difference or not  

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

UALWN

Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 140):
If good wine was indistinguishable from garbage wine, I'd save a LOT of money.

Exactly.

Quoting Rara (Reply 140):
High altitude might be detrimental to the taste buds, but (unfortunately) that doesn't suddenly make bad wine taste good.

Just like altitude doesn't make the re-heated "pizza" you may get at UA just before a TATL landing indistinguishable from a filet mignon, or even from a real Italian pizza. Altitude doesn't even turn Pepsi into Coke, unfortunately.

bond007

Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:02 pm

Quoting UALWN (Reply 142):
Just like altitude doesn't make the re-heated "pizza" you may get at UA just before a TATL landing indistinguishable from a filet mignon, or even from a real Italian pizza.

But you couldn't tell whether the re-heated "pizza" came out of a plastic box, or a cardboard box before it was re-heated - which is a more sensible comparison.

Jimbo

S75752

Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:20 pm

Quoting UALWN (Reply 142):
Just like altitude doesn't make the re-heated "pizza" you may get at UA just before a TATL landing

UA serves Pizza on any long haul? All I recall getting for breakfast on an IAH-LHR was a couple small pieces of fruit and a little bread biscuit thing (literally just bread). And that was after a small meal 8 hours before featuring some barbecue chicken, something else I can't recall that may have been a small bag of chips, a quite small chocolate thing, and a large boring salad that nobody in my row bothered to touch. Without any snack in between.

UALWN

Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:07 pm

Quoting S75752 (Reply 144):
UA serves Pizza on any long haul?

When flying West, just before landing. Yes, let's not get started with the so-called breakfast when flying East.

Quoting bond007 (Reply 143):
which is a more sensible comparison.

It is. But the discussion had moved towards: "all wine tastes the same at altitude," which is not true.

Freshside3

Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:13 pm

What about the environmental aspect? Much easier to re-use glass, than plastic....

S75752

Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Quoting UALWN (Reply 145):

When flying West, just before landing. Yes, let's not get started with the so-called breakfast when flying East.

I didn't get any pizza on my EDI-EWR  
In fact I don't remember what was given before landing, but it was better than the lame piece of bread on the IAH-LHR. Was still quite small though.

UALWN

Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:22 pm

Quoting S75752 (Reply 147):
I didn't get any pizza on my EDI-EWR  

You didn't miss much, trust me.

trinxat
Topic Author

Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:59 pm

Quoting bond007 (Reply 141):
I don't believe we are trying to distinguish between garbage wine and great wine here either - it's between a cheap wine in a Tetra Pak and a slightly less cheap wine in a bottle. We'll agree to disagree whether you can tell the difference or not

Well, for that same reason (if we accept that most of the people won't tell the difference), that is why, presentation is everything. You can achieve more in customer satisfaction with cheap wine presented beautifully, than doing the opposite (which is probably what DL is doing). They save the buck but many customers will be horrified (not, all though). Not Smart

And in the end maybe if they served a cheaper bottled wine (as allegedly the tetra pak one is so good) they could even save money which would outweigh the environmental impact and we wouldn't be talking about it

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos