toobz
Topic Author

New Delta Cabin Announcement

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:19 pm

It seems DL is rebranding BE. If I'm understanding correct the new name will be Delta One starting March 2015.
Here's some more info.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102248421

toobz
Topic Author

RE: New Delta Cabin Announcement

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:22 pm

http://news.delta.com/2014-12-08-Del...n-Upgrades-Premium-Economy-Options

So it seems the rumor of DL starting a Y- was true as well..

cloudboy

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:42 pm

I don't know if I would label it as Y-, it is still the same Y seat, just with a different pricing structure /fees.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

B747forever

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:55 pm

Delta One? That sounds terrible.

Quoting cloudboy (Reply 2):

I don't know if I would label it as Y-, it is still the same Y seat, just with a different pricing structure /fees.

Exactly. Seems the only difference is seat selection and that it is a non-changeable ticket.
Work Hard, Fly Right

hOMSaR

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:58 pm

Wasn't there already a thread on this? Seems to have disappeared, but there was already a bit of discussion on this earlier this morning.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

tommy767

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:17 pm

From the Link: SkyMiles Diamond and Platinum Medallion members will continue to enjoy complimentary upgrade eligibility to First Class and will also receive complimentary access to Delta Comfort+ seats at booking. On March 1, 2015, Gold and Silver Medallion members will continue to enjoy complimentary upgrade eligibility to First Class as well as complimentary access to Delta Comfort+ seats starting 72 hours and 24 hours prior to departure, respectively.

Yes! Thank you to us Silvers who get screwed on upgrade lists and have to pay for E+. I'm totally fine with Economy Comfort instead of F.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

enilria

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:23 pm

Seat pitch is worse or will be.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 3):

They are trying to imply First Class = 1. I don't like it either.

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 5):

From the Link: SkyMiles Diamond and Platinum Medallion members will continue to enjoy complimentary upgrade eligibility to First Class and will also receive complimentary access to Delta Comfort+ seats at booking. On March 1, 2015, Gold and Silver Medallion members will continue to enjoy complimentary upgrade eligibility to First Class as well as complimentary access to Delta Comfort+ seats starting 72 hours and 24 hours prior to departure, respectively.

What is the change? That Golds can't upgrade to Comfort+ at booking for free?

thegoldenargosy

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:26 pm

Nice to see free booze in Comfort+ now on domestic flights. I love the new seat covers, it was time for a cabin refresh.

Osubuckeyes

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 6):

Currently it is the same. I have a hard time believing that they will create another subsection of seating. 30" is already pretty tight.

Golds no longer get Comfort+ at booking, now can only get it within 72 hours. No changes otherwise.

steex

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:28 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 5):
Yes! Thank you to us Silvers who get screwed on upgrade lists and have to pay for E+.

Yeah, nothing changed for Silvers. They can currently select Economy Comfort for free at T-24, and they will continue to be able to select Comfort+ for free at T-24.

tommy767

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:35 pm

As a Silver, I don't believe I have access to E+ on DL even at time of departure. Only on JFK-LAX/SFO and return. The free booze thing is HUGE for us nervous flyers.

As for the new first class time, at least they are rennovating the name that is like 16 years old. Delta One sounds like a credit card, but it's not deplorable either. UA has kept it's confusing "Business First" name in tact since 1992, which is far worse of a naming convention, IMHO..
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

MIflyer12

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:37 pm

Quoting toobz (Reply 1):
So it seems the rumor of DL starting a Y- was true as well..

It isn't. E fares branded as Basic Economy isn't new in this announcement, either.

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/10/delt...n-upgrades-on-basic-economy-fares/

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:41 pm

There was a lengthy thread on this earlier that already got deleted, not sure why:

This was basically a marketing announcement to rename the various products. There were only a few changes of substance within the announcement:

Seat pitch is worse or will be

That is not a given...for now. They are not creating a seperate cabin for Economy Basic, just that there are no advanced seat assignments and the tickets cannot be changed.

So there is a higher probability of being placed in middle seats and/or the back of the aircraft. But that will all depend what seats are available at the time the clear the seat assignments for Economy Basic

As for the no changes. These Economy Basics tickets are by nature all for the cheapest fares on domestic flights/routes that see heavy ULCC and LCC competiton, primarily from the hubs. These tickets almost all require a 3 week advance purchase and a Saturday night stay. Many of the fares are under $200 roundtrip, and almost always going to be less than $250. Delta currently applies a $200 change fee so even if the were to allow changes, the change fee would use up the entire value of the ticket.

This happens now even on regular fares sometimes on routes like DTW-ORD where I bought a $180 tickets but had to throw it away since there was no value left after a change fee.

The naming convention is kind of silly and confusing. The press release certainly does not help to make it any easier to follow. DL sure likely to add a lot of complexity. Funny the legacies in the late 90s were so fully of complexity and market-specific products, and then during the industry downturn moved toward standardization and getting away from all this stuff. Now the pendulum is going the other way. The one difference now is all of the big data and computing power available to address all of this complexity. The challenge is that there are so many possible scenarios for confusion.

The biggest actual changes of substance other than names is the following:
Golds no longer will be able to reserve Comfort+ (EC) seats at the time of booking, instead now will be available for free at 72 hours prior to departure. It appears that the discounts for Silver and Gold to access Comfort+ in advance are gone too.

There will be premium snacks and drink service in Comfort+ on longer domestic flights. The "HOOU" have-one-on-us coupons that print on the boarding pass will apparently be going away.

steex

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:44 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 10):
As a Silver, I don't believe I have access to E+ on DL even at time of departure.

Yes, you do - you actually have it backwards, JFK-LAX/SFO are the only domestic routes where you CANNOT obtain free Economy Comfort since those routes theoretically adhere to DL's international service guidelines. You can otherwise select EC for free anytime within 24 hours of departure on domestic flights. I'm a DL Silver and sit in EC on virtually every trip.

If you use the DL app, you can often snag Economy Comfort relatively close to boarding as the last few upgrades processed at the gate pull higher level elites out of that portion of the cabin.

[Edited 2014-12-08 10:46:21]

tommy767

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:48 pm

Quoting steex (Reply 13):

I had no idea. They don't make that well known. Even before the 24 hour window DL tried to charge me $9 E+ on EWR-DTW. I kept my regular seat.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

FlyPNS1

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:49 pm

As a Silver, I don't believe I have access to E+ on DL even at time of departure.

Silvers have access to E+ at T-24h.

It's the same pitch in DL coach today, so there's no difference.

As for the new first class time, at least they are rennovating the name that is like 16 years old. Delta One sounds like a credit card, but it's not deplorable either. UA has kept it's confusing "Business First" name in tact since 1992, which is far worse of a naming convention, IMHO..

I agree that Delta One is really weak. Really, DL should call the old Biz Elite Delta First and call the old domestic F, Delta Business. However, that doesn't work because other international carriers have true international first.

steex

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:56 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 14):
I had no idea. They don't make that well known. Even before the 24 hour window DL tried to charge me $9 E+ on EWR-DTW. I kept my regular seat.

It is pretty well known, but what you say doesn't contradict the policy - if you want to guarantee EC, you're still welcome to purchase it before the 24-hour window. If you select an EC seat within 24 hours of departure, it will let you do so for free. Note that this can mean you must select your EC seat for connecting flights after check-in unless you wait until 24 hours before that flight departs to check in.

[Edited 2014-12-08 10:56:58]

a380787

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:03 pm

I personally feel that the biggest (hidden) news is that JFK-SEA will no longer be BE (now D1) service

tommy767

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:04 pm

Quoting steex (Reply 16):

Well I was wrong so whatever. I'll look out for it in the future.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

OA412

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:36 pm

I said this in the other thread that appears to have been deleted, but I'm not sold on the Delta One name. To me, it doesn't really give the impression that you're talking about a premium international cabin. It simply comes off as very generic. I'm also disappointed that Comfort+ doesn't appear to be an upgraded Y+ seat ala AF.

Where are you seeing this? I didn't find it in the announcement. I find it difficult to think they'll do this right now, since Y- is limited to a handful of routes out of some of the hubs. I suppose if they expand it systemwide, then we may see this transpire.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

birdbrainz

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:42 pm

Delta One sounds like a call sign for a police car or something from Top Gun.

Is the second row called "Delta Two?"
A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is if the aircraft can be flown again.

a380787

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:46 pm

Delta One and Delta ThreeSixty : apparently one is a cabin product and one is a FF tier

something about violating Branding 101

ScottB

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:59 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 15):
Really, DL should call the old Biz Elite Delta First and call the old domestic F, Delta Business. However, that doesn't work because other international carriers have true international first.

"Delta First" wouldn't be an appropriate name for a business class product on international routes. But "Delta One" is a dumb name.

UA has kept it's confusing "Business First" name in tact since 1992, which is far worse of a naming convention, IMHO..

The "BusinessFirst" name made sense in describing the product as a business class seat with substantially all the amenities of international first class; i.e. the traveler was getting a near-first-class quality product at a business class fare. This was popular with customers who were limited to purchasing J on long-haul by corporate travel policies.

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 12):
This was basically a marketing announcement to rename the various products. There were only a few changes of substance within the announcement:

I don't really get the point of renaming "Economy Comfort" to "Comfort+." Those who would call the rest of the Y cabin Economy Discomfort now can just call it Comfort-.

tommy767

Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:07 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 22):
The "BusinessFirst" name made sense in describing the product as a business class seat with substantially all the amenities of international first class; i.e. the traveler was getting a near-first-class quality product at a business class fare. This was popular with customers who were limited to purchasing J on long-haul by corporate travel policies.

It's a confusing (and like I said, dated) name. United First and United Business would have been fine. And the product is really nothing to write home about and certainly not even close to a true first class product -- at least based on the trip reports that I've seen. My last year experience in PS in the J cabin was really nothing to brag about.

"Delta First" wouldn't be an appropriate name for a business class product on international routes. But "Delta One" is a dumb name.

Delta First would have been better, I agree but still sounds weird.

What it really comes down to is the product. If they really do upgrade the soft product in Delta One then I wouldn't care what they call it.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

STT757

Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:16 pm

The "BusinessFirst" name made sense in describing the product as a business class seat with substantially all the amenities of international first class; i.e. the traveler was getting a near-first-class quality product at a business class fare

I kind of wish UA brought back " Connoisseur class" name to classify the current BusinessFirst product.

United First (International First)
United Business (International Business Class)
United Connoisseur class (current Businessfirst).

And along those lines I wish they would have rebranded their Clubs as follows:

Red Carpet Clubrooms (current United Clubs)
President's Club (International First Class)
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

questions

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:51 pm

I don't really get the point of renaming "Economy Comfort" to "Comfort+." Those who would call the rest of the Y cabin Economy Discomfort now can just call it Comfort-.

The total Y class branding is awful:

Delta Comfort+
Main Cabin
Economy Basic

All in the same physical cabin. Economy Basic is just fare class, fees and restrictions. Main Cabin is the standard offering. And Delta Comfort+ is a slightly premium offering.

Polot

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:05 pm

Quoting questions (Reply 25):
The total Y class branding is awful:

Delta Comfort+
Main Cabin
Economy Basic

All in the same physical cabin. Economy Basic is just fare class, fees and restrictions. Main Cabin is the standard offering. And Delta Comfort+ is a slightly premium offering.

Economy Basic and Main Cabin are just the names for the fare classes, which is something many airlines do (i.e. LH with Economy Basic and Economy Flex, SAS with SAS Go and SAS Plus, AF with MiNi and Classic). On board it will just be referred to as economy class or main cabin.

Osubuckeyes

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:23 pm

Quoting questions (Reply 25):
Quoting Polot (Reply 26):
Economy Basic and Main Cabin are just the names for the fare classes, which is something many airlines do (i.e. LH with Economy Basic and Economy Flex, SAS with SAS Go and SAS Plus, AF with MiNi and Classic). On board it will just be referred to as economy class or main cabin.

Main Cabin implies that there is a difference in cabin between Comfort+ and Basic. I did hear DL may be putting curtain dividers between Comfort+ and "Main Cabin". Maybe they'll curtain off all the middle seats too for Economy Basic.

Jetmarc

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:41 pm

I like the new seats!!

"Sucka, I'm gonna send you out on Knuckle Airlines. Fist Class!!" ~ Mr. T

sfotraveler

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:54 pm

Reminds me of TWA in the 90s. Their internatinal business class was called Trans World One and their economy product with added legroom was called Comfort Class if memory serves.

Osubuckeyes

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:54 pm

Just got an email from DL and appearently Silvers can get C+ within 24 hours on international itineraries, which was previously unavailable, so that is an improvement, but on the flip side they got rid of the discount prior to 24 hours.

Polot

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:55 pm

Quoting jetmarc (Reply 28):
I like the new seats!!

Agreed, good to see they are moving away from the plain school bus interior blue vinyl look.

cosyr

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:33 am

Really missed opportunity to be the first US airline to offer true Premium Economy. I know it's probably not of the same cost to Delta to offer upgraded amenities in the same coach seat, rather than the same coach amenities in a larger seat. But I do think they're missing an opportunity to entice more upgrades at a higher premium.

northwestEWR

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:43 am

Delta One........... SERIOUSLY? That's just awful. And immediately remains me of the Capital One credit card and nothing else. Definitely not a "premium" sounding name or thought process.

What was wrong with BusinessElite? Just about anything is better than DeltaOne.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

knope2001

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:49 am

Quoting osubuckeyes (Reply 27):
Maybe they'll curtain off all the middle seats too for Economy Basic.

Okay, THAT idea is comic genius....  

flyabr

Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:34 am

I see comfort+ will have complimentary spirits...so exactly how much more will the new comfort+ be vs the current economy comfort??

ridgid727

Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:51 am

This is all for added revenue to the coffers. The names make it sound like real added value. When you check in you will always be able to upgrade to the next offering for more $$. Kiosks and web check in are a cash cow for airlines that the ticket counters cannot adequately do. All airlines are learning that more upgradable choices means for revenue.

audidudi

Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:55 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 33):

I personally don't care what they call the new classes of cabins. I'm much more interested in the soft product and the hard product when I'm flying with DL. As a DM, I want the best possible experience from these FAs when I'm onboard, so that I feel special, especially when they acknowledge us FFs.

questions

Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Quoting audidudi (Reply 37):
I personally don't care what they call the new classes of cabins. I'm much more interested in the soft product and the hard product when I'm flying with DL. As a DM, I want the best possible experience from these FAs when I'm onboard, so that I feel special, especially when they acknowledge us FFs.

WOW. "As a DM..." What entitlement. I hope an FA doesn't make the mistake of serving your nuts in a bag instead of on a plate!

flflyer

Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:47 pm

I travel with my whole family-children and grand children-and make many reservations 9-12 months in advance. I was able to move to EC for free at time of res, now will have to wait until 72 hrs. I am lifetime Gold, I hope they don's mess with baggage fees next.

a380787

Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:57 pm

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 33):

Delta One........... SERIOUSLY? That's just awful. And immediately remains me of the Capital One credit card and nothing else. Definitely not a "premium" sounding name or thought process.

What was wrong with BusinessElite? Just about anything is better than DeltaOne.

I can just picture Anderson in that CapOne medieval outfit on TV saying : what else is left in your wallet ?

tommy767

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:13 pm

Quoting questions (Reply 38):

Is it? Ever consider that perhaps the user actually spends the cash to warrant such a status?

As an insignificant Silver on DL, I'm happy to be receiving free booze and free food on flights greater than 900 miles in E+. Granted I might not get a free E+ seat in the 24 hour check in window, but most of the time I'm willing to bet that I can.

Leaps and bounds better than what UA offers to silvers. Wonder if/when they will come back to compete against DL in this respect.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

airzim

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:39 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 41):
Is it? Ever consider that perhaps the user actually spends the cash to warrant such a status?

As an insignificant Silver on DL, I'm happy to be receiving free booze and free food on flights greater than 900 miles in E+. Granted I might not get a free E+ seat in the 24 hour check in window, but most of the time I'm willing to bet that I can.

Leaps and bounds better than what UA offers to silvers. Wonder if/when they will come back to compete against DL in this respect.

The irony. You give Delta a total pass on this, yet you'd vilify United if they did what Delta did to Golds.

As for SM Silver vs MP Silver, what exactly is the difference in benefits? Pretty much the only thing you get is access to E+ at check in for both, and slim shot at an upgrade. United actually give you a slight improvement in Instant upgrades (Y/B) versus only Y on DL.

a380787

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:43 pm

Quoting airzim (Reply 42):

The irony. You give Delta a total pass on this, yet you'd vilify United if they did what Delta did to Golds.

As for SM Silver vs MP Silver, what exactly is the difference in benefits? Pretty much the only thing you get is access to E+ at check in for both, and slim shot at an upgrade. United actually give you a slight improvement in Instant upgrades (Y/B) versus only Y on DL.

That bag of salty pretzels is what he calls "free food on E+"

B4REAL

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:48 pm

I really want to know what "select markets" will have the Basic Economy fare, I think it will be "E".....
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

tommy767

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:56 pm

Quoting airzim (Reply 42):

Trolling my posts again?

Charging elites for Buy on Board in E+ for booze & snacks in Y (plus a dumpy streaming service) on UA OR elites getting free booze, AVOD, & snacks in Y on DL in E+? Shoot, I really can't decide on that one. Oh gee golly, maybe a surly EWR based flight crew will really make my flight worthwhile on UA!

Quoting a380787 (Reply 43):
That bag of salty pretzels is what he calls "free food on E+"

Wow. How about reading the chart? Free PREMIUM SNACKS on flights over 900 miles in E+:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-new-delta-experience.html#comfort

HINT: It's not going to be pretzels.

[Edited 2014-12-09 08:58:15]
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

Osubuckeyes

Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:03 pm

Quoting B4REAL (Reply 44):

I really want to know what "select markets" will have the Basic Economy fare, I think it will be "E".....

So far it seems to be only between hubs and Florida, and it doesn't exist on connecting itineraries. I think additional expansion will be to routes or certain times flights that compete directly with NK, F9, and possibly SY.

airzim

Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:06 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 45):

Charging elites for Buy on Board in E+ for booze & snacks in Y (plus a dumpy streaming service) on UA OR elites getting free booze, AVOD, & snacks in Y on DL? Hump, I really can't decide on that one. Oh wait, maybe a surly EWR based flight crew will really make my flight worthwhile on UA!

Snacks is not a meal. I guess you could eat, 'two' bags of pretzels if you're really hungry.

Is one complementary $7 drink is really the make or break for your decision of DL over UA.

You also do realize that DL is streaming content now? And it's free on UA too.

[Edited 2014-12-09 09:38:19]

a380787

Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:36 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 45):
Wow. How about reading the chart? Free PREMIUM SNACKS on flights over 900 miles in E+:
Quoting tommy767 (Reply 41):
I'm happy to be receiving free booze and free food on flights greater than 900 miles in E+.

Talk about moving goal posts. Reply 41 you call it "free food", and only when pointed out by others you change it "premium snacks"

Even truffle-laced Belgian chocolates don't magically become real food.

tommy767

Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:45 pm

Quoting osubuckeyes (Reply 46):
So far it seems to be only between hubs and Florida, and it doesn't exist on connecting itineraries. I think additional expansion will be to routes or certain times flights that compete directly with NK, F9, and possibly SY.

More info here:

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/del...onomy-fares-on-some-flights/nQT7H/
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos