f35
Topic Author

The Pilots Of Instagram

Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:09 am

A news reporter from a bogus website created an article on Quartz, a website I've never heard of. It's gone viral in the pilot community. The article discusses the violation of a sterile cockpit as well as it's relation to FAR 121.542. I think I speak for all pilots when I say this is a terrible article for the profession. What is your opinion?

http://qz.com/233165/the-pilots-of-i...ockpit-violating-rules-of-the-air/

I'm really surprised that this isn't on the forum yet, at least I could not find anything. The article was released this morning. My apologies if this is a double post.

b747400erf

RE: The Pilots Of Instagram

Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:24 am

Many pictures look like they were taken from the jump seat, but the author of that article assumed they were all "taken by the pilot"

Some websites are desperate for page views.

AA737-823

Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:27 am

Alarmist hysterical clickbait, most likely; I'm willing to remin ignorant of it, just so that I can say I did NOT give them another hit.
For what it's worth, several airlines are already recording their flight decks; why on earth is it a violation of the sterile cockpit rule if the pilots do it themselves?

Q

Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:30 am

Who cares!!!! How about train engineering? How about truck drivers? How about people driving? How about ship or cruise skippers? Etc... Who cares! Whatever they want to taking pictures. They know what they are doing.

Q

Polot

Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:42 am

Quoting Q (Reply 3):
Who cares!!!! How about train engineering? How about truck drivers? How about people driving? How about ship or cruise skippers?

Most train companies prohibit their engineers from being on the phone, and of course many states ban the use of hand held phones when driving. Because people know what they are doing...until they cause an accident because they were not paying attention.

I wouldn't be surprised if the use of cell phones by the fight crew inflight (especially during takeoff and landing) was against almost every airlines' policies, FARs aside.

[Edited 2014-12-11 16:45:10]

rampbro

Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:45 am

Quoting Polot (Reply 4):
Most train companies prohibit their engineers from being on the phone

And this is why: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chatsworth_train_collision

flightsimer

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:07 am

Wait till they realize that most pilots today have iPads up there with them... "OMGZzzzzzz pilot are playing on iPads while flying planes."
Commercial / Airline Pilot

32andBelow

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:24 am

Quoting flightsimer (Reply 6):

Wait till they realize that most pilots today have iPads up there with them... "OMGZzzzzzz pilot are playing on iPads while flying planes."

They have charts too. How else are they going the sun coming in the cockpit windows!

spudsmac

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:38 am

Here's a PDF of the page that I uploaded to DropBox. That way we won't give this scum any webpage hits.

[Edited 2014-12-11 17:42:33]

Polot

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:44 am

Quoting spudsmac (Reply 8):
Here's a PDF of the page that I uploaded to DropBox. That way we won't give this scum any webpage hits.

Which everybody here should read, as it is actually far more balanced than what some members here are implying.

spudsmac

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:48 am

Quoting Polot (Reply 9):
Which everybody here should read, as it is actually far more balanced than what some members here are implying.

Well, the fact that he mentioned several pilots by name, contacted their airlines and the FAA automatically places him in a very unfriendly status with me.

[Edited 2014-12-11 17:53:09]

Polot

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:56 am

Quoting spudsmac (Reply 10):
Well, the fact that he mentioned several pilots by name, contacted their airlines, and contacted the FAA automatically places him in a very unfriendly status with me.

The author posted information that the pilots personally made public. If you are an airline pilot posting things of questionable legality under your own name (and looking at one of the names, and his instagram handle (jelliot7), I suspect his real name was also on it) then you are an idiot, plane and simple. Evidently many of the pilots realize this as well, considering how quickly they deleted their accounts or made them private. It doesn't take a detective to figure out the names of many of the people, or what airline they work for.

Contacting airlines and the FAA to get full information about the rules and legality of the actions is actually called good journalism.

shengzhurou

Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:18 am

they should start the news report on people driving and instagram(ing)/texting. for those that are filming holding the phone/camera during takeoff/approach/landing phase should stop doing that and or uploaded on instagram should have not done as you never know who is the one seeing it, that's unprofessional action, even though they are PM, they should monitor, not taking picture or filming in critical phase of the flight
Sheng Zhu Rou

adamblang

Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:20 am

Quoting Polot (Reply 9):

Agreed. Particularly given that Tom Hoban, spokesman American's pilot's union, is quoted agreeing with the premise of the article.

Quoting spudsmac (Reply 8):
That way we won't give this scum any webpage hits.

The site's the 770th most visited site in the United States. (Net is 3,952.)

Quoting Q (Reply 3):
How about train engineering? How about truck drivers? How about people driving? How about ship or cruise skippers? Etc...

Is your point all professionals responsible for others' lives should have articles written about violations of safety rules that were written for a reason? If so, agreed.

Quoting shengzhurou (Reply 12):
they should start the news report on people driving and instagram(ing)/texting.

Where I live, the police occasionally take notice and write a ticket for that.

[Edited 2014-12-11 18:23:48]
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

flymia

Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:23 am

Anyone who thinks its dangerous for a pilot to snap a picture at cruise is not the smartest guy in the world.

I will agree that during critical phases it is dumb and should not be done. That being said I have zero issues with a pilot putting a go pro up and pressing the record button before decent or before push back. There is absolutely ZERO safety issues with a pilot letting a camera record or take pictures by its self.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

flightsimer

Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:28 am

The guys Facebook page has been blowing up... It appeared on my news feed due to being aviation related.

https://www.facebook.com/yanofsky?fref=nf

blueflyer

Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:46 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 14):
There is absolutely ZERO safety issues with a pilot letting a camera record or take pictures by its self.

"Cameras are not forbidden at cruising altitude if they don’t have any wireless capabilities. It’s possible the photos in Air Line Pilot magazine were taken with such cameras."
"A spokeswoman for the FAA confirmed that a smartphone, even if set to airplane mode with no cellular or WiFi connectivity, counts as a personal electronic device that can’t be used."
And because I don't want to quote more paragraphs (you should read the article, really), please take my word that for "smartphone" you can substitute any electronic device with or without a camera that is able to transmit wirelessly, which actually includes most GoPro models.

Quoting flightsimer (Reply 15):
The guys Facebook page has been blowing up

If the individuals who posted comments on his page represented the feelings of a majority of pilots, it would be hard to remember that professional and pilot share more than one initial. Thankfully it seems to be a case of a few individuals posting repeatedly to satisfy their need for retribution, I suppose.
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

bahadir

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:19 am

I love the anti-pilot sentiment of Airliners.net and the people that are defending this guys troll. This is not news, this is pretty much shooting blanks, stirring up .. He called FAA on the pictures of one pilot that he found pictures on the internet? Is that being a good reporter? All he is doing is create an internet article out of nothing and trying to get clicks to it. He keeps stirring up stuff with pictures of private operators, Part 91 flights and scare the public out of the danger that doesn't exists.

He even have pictures he has taken on the planes during take off and landings.. Unfortunately, today's society is too sensitive to fear mongering like this and no ALPA, FAA, airline or any other professional group will publicly stand up for the pilots.
Earthbound misfit I

zoulastar

Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:06 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 14):
I will agree that during critical phases it is dumb and should not be done. That being said I have zero issues with a pilot putting a go pro up and pressing the record button before decent or before push back. There is absolutely ZERO safety issues with a pilot letting a camera record or take pictures by its self.

That is actually what we precisely all do. Put the go pro in one part of the cockpit, press the rec button and that's it!
It's not like we're flying the plane with one hand and taking pics with the other one!

Who would think something like that???

Val

777dfw

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:49 pm

Sadly, I have seen the effects of David Yanofsky writing this article firsthand.
I have an Instagram with 3.3k followers (@planeposts) and I know many of these pilots very well. Apparently this stupid reporter posted something on his Instagram and tagged all of the Instagram pilots in it. He then posted the article, where he basically admits to stalking their profiles. He also has used all of the pilot's photos without permission on his article without even asking for permission. Some well-known pilots have already left Instagram sadly because of this stupid reporter.

zoulastar

Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:02 pm

He also writed that he contacted every pilot he took photos from their accounts : sorry, but not true!

flightsimer

Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:47 pm

Quoting bahadir (Reply 17):

The best thing I saw of all the posts were the multiple posts people made from pictures of his own account.

He has photos of himself that he took while flying as well as photos of him driving with one hand on a dog and the other holding a camera...

Hypocrisy at its best.

airproxx

Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:53 pm

This seems to be a gigantic piece of sensationalistic bs from a desperate website trying to increase its connexions rate...
Pathetic.
I can't imagine there's no jealousy behind it too...
Anyway, the day people will stop giving credit to this kind of nonsense, the world will be a better place!
If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two impostors just the same

b747400erf

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:36 pm

Their goal is to make pilots and bored and uncomfortable as possible. No reading material, no devices, what next? No talking outside of regular pilot communication at all? (May be a good idea considering some of the wacky and clashing personalities...) But seriously there is nothing in this story. I am surprised anet has not jumped at another story to bash those overpaid worthless pilots!

americanairdfw

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:44 pm

Sad to see allot of pilots delete there accounts after this went up , I enjoyed their pages

AndyEastMids

Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:02 am

Whilst a GoPro might seem to present no risks, cameras on the flight deck aren't always totally innocuous...

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...er-grounding-investigation-397216/

a320fan

Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:58 am

Quoting AmericanAirDFW (Reply 24):

Yep it's a real shame. Just one idiot stiring the pot has ruined it for everyone.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

f35
Topic Author

Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:02 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 23):
Their goal is to make pilots and bored and uncomfortable as possible. No reading material, no devices, what next? No talking outside of regular pilot communication at all?

Sounds like a good recipe for a sleeping pill...

dispatchguy

Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:19 pm

FAA overreaction in 5 4 3 2...
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

sixtyseven

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:39 pm

This is an interesting piece. While I agree with the premise of it, a lot of it is indeed over the top.

The premise of "The Pilots of Instagram" is a bit odd. Not so much in a safety sense, but a "what are you thinking?" sense. Snapping a pic here and there is seriously no big deal. At all. I have to question some guy filming his day at work, it's grandstanding and nothing else. Give it a break save it for your ski trip. It wouldnt happen with me in the f/d.

Most of these proponents are people of the selfie generation. Dont take it wrong, the guys before me had a name for my generation too. The selfie generation is one that perplexes me tho. I could never see any of the guys who mentored me throughout my career and had my undivided attention ever having the kind of personality to take repeated pictures of themselves- for the purpose of showing people who already know what he looked like, while posing in different places. It's a "look at me" thing. "Hey everyone. I took 28 pictures of myself at work. This one's the best!"

It's a fine line. But I find a lot of this generation are of the personality that bitch and moan about how bad things have are in the profession. Theyre the same type of people walking around the terminal looking like bums, acting like kids, screwing around on 121.5. Now before people go off on me, ask yourself if people did this back before the profession took this big slip?

The profession is sliding. A lot of it has to do with the supposed "professionals" within it. The profession needs taking care of. This snapping pictures and taking videos is but one small thing in a pile of other small things adding to it's demise, IMHO.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

chrisair

Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:44 am

I don't understand why people are jumping on the author about the article. It seemed pretty reasonable to me (just a bit long winded), he covered all sides, tried reaching out to the pilots etc. My issue isn't with the article, it's with the blatant rip off of the photos. If I was a pilot who had images used in the story, you can guarantee QZ would be getting a cease and desist letter from my attorney, followed by the necessary copyright action. They blatantly infringed on the copyrights of several people, plus violated Instagram's site usage guidelines.

Quoting Sixtyseven (Reply 29):
Now before people go off on me, ask yourself if people did this back before the profession took this big slip?

Absolutely. As camera became smaller and more affordable, I guarantee previous generations took photos. However, sharing them was a lot harder. Take a look at photos on this site as an example. There are thousands of cockpit photos from all over the world taken in flight. Many are from the early 2000s when digital cameras were just starting to get good. Some of these guys take incredible photos of stuff they see. If they want to share, they probably shouldn't be posting their name, airline and photos of themselves. Remain anonymous. I definitely don't understand why so many of them feel the need to share photos of themselves. Perhaps it's a "look at me" mentality? If I shared photos of myself on Instagram, I'd likely have a negative number of followers. 

It doesn't surprise me that a lot of them bolted after the article hit. They'll be back. Give it six months.

zkojq

Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:29 am

Don't tell the reporter that pilots on long haul flights will spent hours asleep in the crew bunk!   

I don't see the harm in having one of the pilots use their iphone to take a few photos of the flight deck or the view out the front if they are in cruise or waiting in the queue for takeoff.

If anything, I'd say that the reporter missed the point by reporting on airline crews doing this and avoiding mentioning GA pilots. If there's any 'pilots of instagram' to worry about, its GA pilots. From my experiences of instagram, GA pilots seem to be a lot less risk averse as to the photos they take and upload. GA pilots tend to be younger (more likely to be of the 'selfie generation') and spend much less time flying above 10,000'. Airline crews are generally very well disciplined by their employers and have SOPs and company policy drilled into them from the beginning of their employment. They are aware of what they are and aren't allowed to do in the flight-deck and what is and isn't safe. This is much less the case for GA pilots who are also much more likely to be flying single crew operations (where their actions are unlikely to be noticed or questioned by another pilot).

TLDR: Whilst i'm not suggesting there is a problem, a pilot using a camera/phone in an unsafe manner during flight is more likely to be in a C208 or Beaver than a B737.

Oh and the aviation community should me much classier than to send death threats to the reporter.

Quoting AmericanAirDFW (Reply 24):
Sad to see allot of pilots delete there accounts after this went up , I enjoyed their pages

Quoting chrisair (Reply 30):
It doesn't surprise me that a lot of them bolted after the article hit. They'll be back. Give it six months.

I hope so.

The profession needs taking care of. This snapping pictures and taking videos is but one small thing in a pile of other small things adding to it's demise, IMHO.

I'd actually say that the passion and dedication shown to the passengers, the airline and the job seen in so many crew photos is an asset to both the profession and their carrier.
First to fly the 787-9

airtran737

Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:39 pm

I want this piece of crap on my airplane so that I can stand in the door and take a selfie as I have him thrown off.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Mir

Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:01 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 30):
I don't understand why people are jumping on the author about the article.

Because what's his point? He said there's no rule specifically against taking pictures but the problem is with using electronic devices with wireless capability - so if they were bringing their DSLR up there to snap away it's fine but because they're using their phone it suddenly becomes a safety issue worth reporting on? He got challenged on CBS about why taking photos during cruise should be an issue when pilots are allowed to take breaks or read, and his response was basically "well, they shouldn't be getting sucked into their electronic devices". Which is, of course, completely bogus, since taking a photo takes a few seconds at most and then it's over and is thus far less distracting than delving into a manual or a crossword puzzle.

The guy basically has no idea what he's talking about, yet he's acting like he's some sort of safety crusader. That's going to rub people the wrong way, and rightfully so.

I have to question some guy filming his day at work, it's grandstanding and nothing else. Give it a break save it for your ski trip.

So taking a photo to show people what you do at work is grandstanding but taking a photo to show people where you went on vacation isn't?   

Now before people go off on me, ask yourself if people did this back before the profession took this big slip?

No, they had other ways of being "unprofessional" that probably alarmed the generation before them just as much.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

copter808

Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Quoting airproxx (Reply 22):
This seems to be a gigantic piece of sensationalistic bs from a desperate website trying to increase its connexions rate...
Pathetic

True. Although I have sometimes wondered about the photos and the 10K foot rule, it's no big deal. I honestly don't know who took the pictures or the circumstances, so there may or may not have been a violation. Either way though, I don't give a rat's butt. Just much ado about nothing!!

Are these actions unsafe? Maybe, but if done using good judgement the possible decrease in safety would be such a small number it would be immeasurable.

Quoting zkojq (Reply 31):
TLDR: Whilst i'm not suggesting there is a problem, a pilot using a camera/phone in an unsafe manner during flight is more likely to be in a C208 or Beaver than a B737.

Not sure I agree with this, but let's not get into an Airline vs GA discussion. (We have enough of that with the Boeing/Airbus stuff!)

sixtyseven

Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 33):
So taking a photo to show people what you do at work is grandstanding but taking a photo to show people where you went on vacation isn't?  

It's WORK v VACATION. A rather significant difference, no?

It's optics. The people behind that locked door CARE about what is going on up there. When you lose sight of that then theres a problem. Do they find out everything? No, of course not. But posting this stuff all over the place is kind of like advertising it isnt it? And all that does is open the door to interpretation which can be a real pain in the ass if the person doing the interpreting doesn't share your opinion. And then you end up having to tell your side of it. Why do it in the first place?

Keep what goes on in the cockpit, up there. Let people wonder.

Quoting Mir (Reply 33):
No, they had other ways of being "unprofessional" that probably alarmed the generation before them just as much.

Im well aware of this. Id say there was another big difference. The guys being "unprofessional" didn't advertise it.

I dont care about snapping a pic. I guess what bothers me is the mindset of these people. Starving for attention. You used to show your friends pics. But people dont do that anymore. They blindly post it on facebook, the place where everyone they've ever met is on..... Most people they hardly know.

SPREE34

Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 2):
Alarmist hysterical clickbait

Covers it nicely.

Quoting dispatchguy (Reply 28):
FAA overreaction in 5 4 3 2...

Yup, and from an agency whose own house is rarely in order.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

Eagleboy

Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:49 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 11):
The author posted information that the pilots personally made public. If you are an airline pilot posting things of questionable legality under your own name (and looking at one of the names, and his instagram handle (jelliot7), I suspect his real name was also on it) then you are an idiot, plane and simple.

I would agree with this pint........far too many people are too carefree with the info they put on the internet....once it up,its there forever.

Personally my photos are not connected to my facebook page and I always post them with a few days delay from my duties to ensure no connection with my roster can occur (well casually at least)

The article also makes an implication that non-wifi devices are permitted.....its seems to focus on smartphone/tablet usage.

Mir

Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:21 am

Quoting Sixtyseven (Reply 35):
Id say there was another big difference. The guys being "unprofessional" didn't advertise it.

That assumes that the taking of the photographs is unprofessional. I don't agree that that's the case.

-Mir

sixtyseven

Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:45 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 38):
-Mir

You might be right!

The only thing is these people post all this stuff, and if something goes sideways, they're pretty damn fast to de-identify, delete, or delete accounts altogether. Their reactions kind of lend to the idea that they probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place. Or at least be smarter about HOW they're doing it.

Every airline has pretty tight rules on social media. That would include taking pics in flight and posting them haphazardly. My interpretation of it is that optically it just doesnt look right to the travelling public.

C.Y.A. Is the name of the game.

[Edited 2014-12-14 18:55:09]

aryonoco

Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:04 am

Quoting f35 (Thread starter):
A news reporter from a bogus website created an article on Quartz, a website I've never heard of.

Just to clarify, Quartz is anything but bogus. It is a venture by the Atlantic Media Company, the publisher of the Atlantic, and it's just over a year old. It focuses mostly on business and economics news, but with a modern twist, think the Economist but a bit less rigid.

It has attracted senior journalists and editors from the Economist, the (London) Times, the Washington Post and a number of other well respected figures in the field.

It's proving to be a very successful venture, with very high quality articles, and has attracted a good number of corporate sponsors. In fact if I am not mistaken, Boeing was one of their earliest/most prominent sponsors.

Just because you haven't heard of a website doesn't make it "bogus".

b747400erf

Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:36 am

Quoting aryonoco (Reply 40):

It has attracted senior journalists and editors from the Economist, the (London) Times, the Washington Post and a number of other well respected figures in the field.

That may explain why the quality of the Economist has dropped for the past year.

chrisair

Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:56 am

Quoting aryonoco (Reply 40):
Just to clarify, Quartz is anything but bogus. It is a venture by the Atlantic Media Company, the publisher of the Atlantic, and it's just over a year old.

I actually never heard of Quartz until I saw a post from one of the pilots I followed on IG. They've got some good stuff up there.

Quoting Mir (Reply 33):
Because what's his point? He said there's no rule specifically against taking pictures but the problem is with using electronic devices with wireless capability - so if they were bringing their DSLR up there to snap away it's fine but because they're using their phone it suddenly becomes a safety issue worth reporting on?

Yes it is, actually. If an airline's policy says no use of wireless devices (i.e. a phone) AT ALL during the flight, one could say DSLRs or point and shoots are fine but the iPhone camera is not. Seems pretty cut and dry that using an iPhone is against an airline's policy regardless if it's in airplane mode or not. Whether you agree or disagree it's a safety issue is a different matter. I don't think it is a safety issue. I also think a lot of pilots are professionals and know when they can shoot photos.

I find it interesting he didn't tag the SAS A340 captain with 25k followers in his article. He missed some other ones too. Wonder how he picked who to mention...

Stackhouse007

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:15 am

Sad to see so many of these pilots get attacked and delete their Instagram profiles. Not only were their pictures amazing to look at and provide motivation to someone working their way up in the industry, but they were providing much more than just pictures. All of these pilots were willing to answer questions about their careers and their path to their airline seat.

I believe pilots and flight attendants have always taken pictures during flights. Most people that put this much time and money into this career have a strong passion for aviation. Now that social media is booming, these pilots enjoy sharing these pictures while they sit in the airport waiting for their commute home. Instagram is simple and it's easy to connect with other pilots across the globe and it's truly a shame that this article has stirred up so much dust.

While I'm not flying airliners quite yet, feel free to follow me on Instagram, @kvark27

As stated before, I hope many of these accounts that were deleted resurface eventually, some of these guys have provided a lot of assistance to myself and many others working our way up the ladder.

Kyle

[Edited 2014-12-14 23:19:52]
Nikon D60: 18-55mm - 55-200mm / Canon 50D: 100-400mm

skywaymanaz

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:27 am

When I was a kid American Airlines used to televise the takeoff and landings onboard their DC-10's. It was a black and white image on the movie screens in the cabin. It was my understanding they stopped the practice because an attorney videotaped it during landing. The pilots hands were visible and any time they weren't on the controls it was a "safety issue" or "negligence". That might just be an urban myth but the proliferation of stupid regulations makes it all to believable. I would definately have some concerns about either pilot snapping pics at takeoff or touchdown. That said I don't have this concern about jump seaters or a go pro mounted, turned on, then ignored as they carry out normal routine. I love this video in particular from Brazil but always wondered if the pilots got a talking to  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYDba1UsgHc

Mir

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:50 am

Quoting chrisair (Reply 42):
Yes it is, actually. If an airline's policy says no use of wireless devices (i.e. a phone) AT ALL during the flight, one could say DSLRs or point and shoots are fine but the iPhone camera is not. Seems pretty cut and dry that using an iPhone is against an airline's policy regardless if it's in airplane mode or not. Whether you agree or disagree it's a safety issue is a different matter. I don't think it is a safety issue.

My question was whether it's a safety issue. You start by saying it is, and close by saying it isn't. Which is it?

-Mir

AAR90

Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:25 pm

Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 44):
When I was a kid American Airlines used to televise the takeoff and landings onboard their DC-10's. It was a black and white image on the movie screens in the cabin. It was my understanding they stopped the practice because an attorney videotaped it during landing. The pilots hands were visible and any time they weren't on the controls it was a "safety issue" or "negligence". That might just be an urban myth but the proliferation of stupid regulations makes it all to believable.

No law suit was actually filed, but AA did step in to protect one of its DC10 Captains who was threatened with legal action for negligence (removing his hand from the throttles) since he was following AA procedures. There was a confidential out-of-court settlement and AA disabled all DC10 cockpit cameras. Prior to the settlement more than 3/4 of my Captains had me (DC10 FE) hang my hat over the camera lens... specifically due to this "incident."
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

Stackhouse007

Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:02 pm

Quoting AAR90 (Reply 46):
Prior to the settlement more than 3/4 of my Captains had me (DC10 FE) hang my hat over the camera lens... specifically due to this "incident."

Wow, that is very interesting!
Nikon D60: 18-55mm - 55-200mm / Canon 50D: 100-400mm

chrisair

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:09 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 45):
My question was whether it's a safety issue. You start by saying it is, and close by saying it isn't. Which is it?

Read what I posted again. If a company's policy says no wireless communication devices can be used, then it seems pretty cut and dry you can't use a phone to take photos or do anything else (calculator, play candy crush etc).

Now, whether someone breaking that policy represents a safety issue is a whole different argument.

Quoting AAR90 (Reply 46):
Prior to the settlement more than 3/4 of my Captains had me (DC10 FE) hang my hat over the camera lens... specifically due to this "incident."

Fascinating!

Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 44):
I love this video in particular from Brazil but always wondered if the pilots got a talking to

I doubt it. It looks like they just set a gopro and hit record. The only issue that probably came up was with the song they picked...

Rara

Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:35 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 48):
I doubt it. It looks like they just set a gopro and hit record. The only issue that probably came up was with the song they picked...

And with the silly PIO-like churning of the flightstick.   "Look at me, I'm a plane jockey! The aircraft is totally stable, but I better move that stick around like it's the gearshift of a racecar just to make sure."
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos