Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sfjeff
Topic Author

AA Ending XNA Mainline?

Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:07 pm

From what I can see on AA.COM and quick trip.com, it appears that American is discontinuing mainline service at XNA. I don't see any mainline flights between XNA and DFW after this month. Does anyone know if this is a permanent change or perhaps a scheduling quirk? AA has been operating mainline into XNA for 14 years or so, originally Fokker 100s to ORD and later MD80s to DFW (and A319s for a while).
Jeff in Málaga

DDR

RE: AA Ending XNA Mainline?

Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:14 pm

If this is true, it seems like a strange move since they seem to be adding mainline to places instead of reducing mainline. Perhaps since XNA is a business destination, they are going for more frequencies which would require smaller equipment.

jb1087xna

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:11 pm

Would be strange see only AA RJs when DL has at least one mainline flight per day to ATL.

DeltaXNA

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:46 pm

1 daily MD80 is now operating in the mid afternoon until this wednesday. Then on March 5th they will return to 2 daily. It looks like the schedule hasn't been completely updated yet, but the mainline will be off and on according to the april schedules which does not have any mainline scheduled.

I bet the April and beyond schedules are updated for mainline during the summer.

[Edited 2014-12-14 14:48:03]

SurfandSnow

Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:09 pm

In the past, when all Eagle aircraft were in all-Y configurations, mainline service was the only way AA could offer F to and from XNA. Today they can send F-equipped CR7s, CR9s, or even E-175s to XNA instead. You will find CR7s or CR9s on most DFW-XNA and ORD-XNA frequencies as well as all CLT/LAX/LGA-XNA frequencies.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

mhkansan

Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:42 am

DFW-ICT is going from 4x mainline to 7x large RJ next summer.

usdcaguy

Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:09 am

Is XNA currently a mainline station, or is it handled by Envoy?

DeltaXNA

Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:24 am

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 6):
Is XNA currently a mainline station, or is it handled by Envoy?

It is Envoy

DashTrash

Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:34 pm

AA is also ending, or has ended mainline in HSV.

f18raider

Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:53 pm

AA has ended mainline to LBB as well. Now a mix of CRJ7s and CRJ9s.

DeltaXNA

Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:08 pm

LBB will be getting mainline back during the summer. But it is sad about HSV. They are obviously increasing frequency, and the CR9s are nice planes, but it doesn't compare mainline plane though.

SouthernDC9

Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:40 pm

Honestly the two times I've flown the MD80 DFW-XNA it has taken forever to get my bags. Both flights were completely full (one with a lot of families coming back from Disney and/or cruises, best I could tell). Not an expert on this at all, but XNA's baggage claim doesn't seem to be designed for big planes. (But, you can take care of your car rental while you wait for your bags, because it's literally right there.)
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

jsnww81

Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:01 pm

Sad to see mainline go from several markets that have had it for years.

Also interesting in the latest schedule is the pulldown in A319 flying from DFW. Routes like CLE, ICT, ATL and HSV are now almost A319-free. The planes are still on the thinner international routes (Bogota, Leon, Edmonton, etc.) and several of the ski routes, but notably absent from the domestic routes they've flown for the last year or so, replaced by a mix of MD80s and CR9s. Looks like AA would rather subject Miami passengers to the "added comfort" of the oh-so-popular A319.

wkid87

Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:35 pm

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 12):

Also interesting in the latest schedule is the pulldown in A319 flying from DFW. Routes like CLE, ICT, ATL and HSV are now almost A319-free. The planes are still on the thinner international routes (Bogota, Leon, Edmonton, etc.) and several of the ski routes, but notably absent from the domestic routes they've flown for the last year or so, replaced by a mix of MD80s and CR9s. Looks like AA would rather subject Miami passengers to the "added comfort" of the oh-so-popular A319.

I noticed this as well. There is only 1 MD-80 flying into LIT within the next couple of months, the rest is a mixture of CRJs and ERJs. Was curious to see where the 319s are going.

jb1087xna

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:05 am

Quoting wkid87 (Reply 13):
I noticed this as well. There is only 1 MD-80 flying into LIT within the next couple of months, the rest is a mixture of CRJs and ERJs. Was curious to see where the 319s are going.

AA has had quite the up-and-down relationship with LIT over the last 10 years. Went from a mix of mainline to all RJ (I think during the recession), and then back to mainline, and now back to RJs (however temporarily).

SouthernDC9

Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:11 pm

As long as DL keeps the XNA-CVG flight forever and ever so I will have my easy connection to/from DCA, I shall be a happy camper - it could be on a crop duster as far as I'm concerned.

Would UA ever increase/upgauge any of their flights at XNA, or are they pretty much status quo?

[Edited 2014-12-16 06:12:15]
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

FlyPNS1

Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:24 pm

Quoting DeltaXNA (Reply 10):
LBB will be getting mainline back during the summer. But it is sad about HSV. They are obviously increasing frequency, and the CR9s are nice planes, but it doesn't compare mainline plane though.

PNS-DFW gets mainline back in March. This is earlier than last year when mainline service didn't start till May. Plus, if the schedules hold, PNS will see a third mainline flight starting in April (last year there was only 2), plus two RJ frequencies. So, we see where some of the mainline planes are going.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:09 am

Since this is an XNA related thread, it should be noted that XNA is on pace for a record year with a projected 640,000 enplanements by the end of December. They may be going smaller but increasing frequency and overall capacity. I should add FSM is up double digits. Little Rock is decreasing with WNs pullback.

Lord, considering the price difference, I'd make Allegiant's twice weekly nonstops to Orlando Sanford work. I could have booked Orlando flights for the second week of Feb last week for under 600 with a couple of bag charges.

They did tweak the schedule on those flights, changing from Friday and Monday to Thursday and Sun and the seasonal LAX popped back up.

Branson's little airport is supposedly going to add more Buzz flights soon since Frontier pulled out as well. Dulles and Melbourne Florida is being mentioned. I hear the Houston flights are pretty much full and why they never seasonally ended them. 200 bucks to Hobby isn't bad and it's an hour and 15s from my driveway to the Branson airport. from east Faye

[Edited 2014-12-16 18:10:23]

jb1087xna

Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:15 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 16):
Would UA ever increase/upgauge any of their flights at XNA, or are they pretty much status quo?

UA and CO both have only ever seemed to have a token presence at both XNA and LIT. I'm a little surprised that they offer flights to ORD with AA's large FF base in the XNA area.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos