Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SLCSFOPDX
Topic Author

Updated Logo For Alaska Airlines!

Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:25 pm

Looks like AS has updated their 'Alaska' logo. Check it out in the link. I personally like the small change. It's a little more clean and modern looking. If you also go to alaskaair.com, you can check out the updated logo on their main page. I wonder if they will give their fleet the updated logo or just for the one's that will be new.

http://thegate.boardingarea.com/updated-logo-alaska-airlines/

[Edited 2014-12-16 12:31:52]

[Edited 2014-12-16 12:32:49]

flyby519

RE: Updated Logo For Alaska Airlines!

Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:30 am

It looks reminiscent of something JetBlue would create.

ADent

Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:04 am

rikkus67

Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:52 am

This was posted a while ago, but nice to see it coming to fruition.

http://www.alaskaair.com/

The modified title is officially on their website. Evolutionary, rather than Revolutionary. A nice brand refreshing of the title without loosing the uniqueness of the original.
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

seahawk

Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:26 am

The version on the website is good. Old colours but the strange "k" is gone.

Lono

Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:42 am

Well they certainly went all out didn't they. Hope they didn't spend too much on the new logo design.
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

jumpseat

Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:18 am

Quoting lono (Reply 5):

A radical change in branding isn't always a good thing. Just look at Southwest and Iberia. Each to their own, but I think the small refresh brings it up to date, it's never been my favourite typeface in the world, but I think it's really effective.

EA CO AS

Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:58 am

Quoting rikkus67 (Reply 3):
Evolutionary, rather than Revolutionary.

That was the idea; subtle changes without tossing out the whole identity. "Alaska" by itself takes up less real estate than "Alaska Airlines" - meaning the word "Alaska" can now be larger. The streamlined wordtype also looks better in digital formats and in print than the older one.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

voodoo

Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:26 am

At least they kept Michael Landon on the tail.
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

N766UA

Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:10 pm

The only difference I see is the K is no longer dropkicking the A.

BD338

Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:14 pm

Quoting seahawk (Reply 4):
The version on the website is good. Old colours but the strange "k" is gone.

So there is a new typeface but are the colors changing? There is white on blue as in the post above, website is the reverse with a darker blue with one banner on the site white on green. Which one is it? Aircraft will be repainted blue on white I am guessing, i think white on blue would have been cool and distinctive.

VCEflyboy

Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Looks good but using the web address is so passe'... the hashtag alone would have been nicer

sccutler

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:07 pm

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 11):

Looks good but using the web address is so passe'... the hashtag alone would have been nicer

Majority of people (especially, you know, adults who buy airline tickets) don't use Twitter.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

GSPSPOT

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:50 pm

I like it. Evolution, not revolution!  
Great Lakes, great life.

cosyr

Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Do we see a new livery in the future, or are they going to do like Delta and United in the 90's and have a different font on their planes than their marketing?

If they want to update the logo on the planes, they would have to at least adjust the livery, as the old K goes into the cheat line currently.

pasu129

Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:32 pm

Quoting jumpseat (Reply 6):

Quoting lono (Reply 5):

A radical change in branding isn't always a good thing. Just look at Southwest and Iberia. Each to their own, but I think the small refresh brings it up to date

Agreed, CX did the same recently, and I suspect like CX, they'll deny new livery change with the logo update, until the day of launch that is.   
Viva Las Vegas

laxboeingman

Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:18 pm

I like it and I am a fan of the more blue coloring.

It also looks like they changed the website slightly. Am I wrong about that?
The opinions I post are mine and not of any organization I am affiliated with.

ODwyerPW

Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:13 pm

Quoting voodoo (Reply 8):

LOL. That was pretty funny. Thanks for the moment of levity.
Check out the cited article at the top of this thread. The author pays a nice tribute to the fellow who was the inspiration of the Eskimo logo.
learning never stops.

chrisair

Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Quoting voodoo (Reply 8):

It's Abe Lincoln or Charles Manson.

Quoting sccutler (Reply 12):
Majority of people (especially, you know, adults who buy airline tickets) don't use Twitter.

Believe it or not, hashtags are becoming ubiquitous even for adults outside the 18-35 age range. There are 284 million people who use twitter at least once a month....

antoniemey

Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:29 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 9):
The only difference I see is the K is no longer dropkicking the A.

The capital A is no longer separated at the top, so it looks a lot less like "Fllaska"
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

airzona11

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:54 am

The user base is growing at greater rates the higher the age. The # user base tends to be in the upper income tiers. Most importantly, as the business of purchasing tickets and customer service goes mobile, the # is even more relevant.

The refresh looks good, hopefully they continue to develop their mobile / web presence. I agree with the above stating it is a subtle but smart looking change.

EA CO AS

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:22 am

Quoting cosyr (Reply 14):
Do we see a new livery in the future

No, however the updated wordmark will be applied to the fleet over time.

Quoting laxboeingman (Reply 16):
It also looks like they changed the website slightly. Am I wrong about that?

It's constantly being tweaked for better usability; the most recent change involves the updated wordmark and the menu being revised.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

777Jet

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:29 am

Quoting SLCSFOPDX (Thread starter):
I personally like the small change. It's a little more clean and modern looking.

A little more clean and modern looking pretty much sums up the change 100%.

I actually like it better as well.

Reminds me of how QF just tweaked their font with the word 'QANTAS' a bit and it made the Name / Logo look more modern / fresh. Amazing the difference such a small change, such as a different font, can make  
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

VCEflyboy

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:19 am

But the majority of people do use google, hence i dont see a massive need to display the web address.

VC10er

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:27 pm

Absolutely MEANINGLESS changes like this are just a bunch of corp wonks who want to make a change yet are too yellow bellied to do something different enough to really matter. This new typographic nightmare which strips ALL the differentiating features of the original, the "hand done calligraphy" to an ordinary script that has been tortured to death by committee will not change anyone's perceptions nor will it sell ONE extra ticket...but it will cost millions of dollars to change over to. All the liveries, signage etc costs a lot for no reason.

I hope they paid a design agency well to sell out!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

EA CO AS

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:26 pm

Quoting VC10er (Reply 24):
Absolutely MEANINGLESS changes like this are just a bunch of corp wonks who want to make a change yet are too yellow bellied to do something different enough to really matter. This new typographic nightmare which strips ALL the differentiating features of the original, the "hand done calligraphy" to an ordinary script that has been tortured to death by committee will not change anyone's perceptions nor will it sell ONE extra ticket...but it will cost millions of dollars to change over to. All the liveries, signage etc costs a lot for no reason.

Tell us how you REALLY feel; don't hold back.  

cloudboy

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:42 pm

I don't think this is a "major" livery change. More of a touch-up - getting rid of the old tacky Paintshop brush effect on the font. Are they going to be redoing everything with this new font, or just introducing it as new material is generated?
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

EA CO AS

Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:28 pm

Quoting cloudboy (Reply 26):
Are they going to be redoing everything with this new font, or just introducing it as new material is generated?

Everything. Seatback cards, inflight magazine (already done), wordmark updated on the aircraft livery, airport signage, website, etc.

a36001

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:27 pm

Alaska Airlines has always struck me as a safe reliable and consistent carrier, so it does not surprise me that any change would be minimal. I like it!!