Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

milan320
Topic Author

What's Going On In KEF

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:49 am

Anyone know what's going on with Iceland Air in KEF? All most all of the flights are delayed outbound. I know that they had a snowstorm a few days ago, but looking at other airlines, only ICE seems to be delayed. I'm flying tomorrow CPH-YEG with about 1.5 hour transfer so starting to get worried as the next flight to YEG isn't until Monday. Don't feel like spending two days in KEF at this time of the year.

[Edited 2014-12-19 03:50:28]
I accept bribes ... :-)

Thenoflyzone

RE: What's Going On In KEF

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:55 am

I'll take spending two days in KEF as opposed to spending two days in YEG any day !   

Blue lagoon would be nice this time of year.

As for your question, one reason why FI might get delays more than any other airline is because they hub at KEF, whereas the other airlines serving the city don't.

[Edited 2014-12-19 04:03:22]
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

milan320
Topic Author

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Quoting thenoflyzone (Reply 1):

I'll take spending two days in KEF as opposed to spending two days in YEG any day !   

Blue lagoon would be nice this time of year.

Thanks but I live in Scandinavia year-round so just want to get away from the rain and to some snow and home for Xmas  

Actually I chose this route as I usually fly CPH-YYZ onto YEG and mentally that's a tough one. You're already in Canada and yet a 4.5 hour flight ahead of you. So thought I'd try through KEF for a change. D'oh!

Actuallyl I'm curious though if KEF has managed to dig itself out of the storm. No news on the KEF website, and METAR as far as I can understand it doesn't really report anything of significance at present.

[Edited 2014-12-19 04:03:55]

[Edited 2014-12-19 04:07:25]

[Edited 2014-12-19 04:07:52]

mjoelnir

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:32 pm

Late arrival of airplanes is the reason for the delays, most of the incoming flights were delayed in the morning. In the afternoon incoming flights will still expected do be delayed about one hour with the corresponding delays of departures.
There is no really bad weather expected the next days, so the situation should normalise until Monday.

milan320
Topic Author

Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:18 pm

Thanks mjoelnir for the info

Cheers
Milan

Viscount724

Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:54 am

Quoting milan320 (Reply 2):
Actually I chose this route as I usually fly CPH-YYZ onto YEG and mentally that's a tough one. You're already in Canada and yet a 4.5 hour flight ahead of you. So thought I'd try through KEF for a change

CPH-YEG via KEF is also almost 1,200 miles shorter than via YYZ, or roughly 3 hours flying time.

Hagic

Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:59 am

Quoting milan320 (Thread starter):
Don't feel like spending two days in KEF at this time of the year.

In 2003 I flew through KEF from BOS right on the winter solstice (December 21st) for the sole purpose of watching the shortest daylight of my life (sunrise at 11h23, sunset at 15h30). I was on my way to CPH and could have flown several other airlines. Watching the sun timidly rising above the southern horizon right before noon was unforgettable. The five-day stopover in Reykjavik and surroundings was great (Iceland was very expensive back then. Things may be very different right now).
There's only one freedom of the press: The freedom of the survivors - (G. Arciniegas)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos