Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Miami
Topic Author

Air Europa Seeking Authorization To Start MIA-HAV

Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:58 am

Air Europa seeking authorization to start Miami-Havana service 3-4 times a day, according to the President of the airline.

The article is in Spanish so here is the translator:

Quote:
Air Europa wants to use unlocking trade relations between the US and Cuba to increase its presence in the area. The airline president and founder of Globalia, Juan Jose Hidalgo, announced yesterday that prompted el Economista permits the authorities of the United States and Cuba in order to "operate three or four flights a day between Miami and Havana".

Air Europa intends to strengthen its business on transatlantic flights with the growth of local traffic that, on paper, you have to multiply after the approach of both governments. At present, the airline of Globalia group offers a daily flight Madrid-Havana carrying about 4,000 passengers a week and also operates the destination between Madrid-Miami and Punta Cana five days a week.

He also mentions that MIA may go daily and they might send the 787.

Quote:
In a telephone conversation with this newspaper, Juan Jose Hidalgo also ahead in the next summer season (late March or early April 2015) would increase to seven weekly frequencies in this last destination, taking advantage of "incorporating the next spring the new 787 leasing ".

At first, he had considered the possibility of using this first Dreamliner in Madrid-Montevideo route, but Air Europa has analyzed the customer profile of the route between Madrid and Miami, where there are more business customers. "The new 787 will receive in brief has 50 seats between business and first on a total capacity of 250 seats and will have it ready at the beginning of next season."

But let's focus on the main topic which is: Air Europa wanting 3-4 daily flights to HAV from MIA!

What do you think of this?

http://ecodiario.eleconomista.es/tra...-y-La-Habana.html#.Kku8xC8QLWKBYp0

-Miami   
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Coal

RE: Air Europa Seeking Authorization To Start MIA-HAV

Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:24 am

So these would be fifth freedom flights? Not sure what the business rationale is here. I understand that the Miami - Cuba market will explode with lifted travel restrictions, but again, what is the business model? Obviously AA will jump on the route with multiple daily flights from MIA, as might B6 and NK from FLL, plus CU to MIA (maybe?). Would the flights operate as MAD-MIA-HAV vv.? Would it be similar to the AF operation?

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

migair54

Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:48 am

It will be great for UX but I don't see why the US government would allow them to do so. I'm sure more than 1 US airline, specially AA will be eager to start multiple daily rotations as soon they can from its MIA hub.

kgaiflyer

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:14 am

Quoting migair54 (Reply 2):
It will be great for UX but I don't see why the US government would allow them to do so. I'm sure more than 1 US airline, specially AA will be eager to start multiple daily rotations as soon they can from its MIA hub.

Depends on who you ask.

Rumor has it that DL flies monthly charters between KNRB (Mayport NAS) and MUGM (Guantanamo). And 3M has been flying MIA-HAV weekly since its "Gulfstream International" days.

It's not like Cuba is completely cut off. It isn't

AWACSooner

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:23 am

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 3):
Rumor has it that DL flies monthly charters between KNRB (Mayport NAS) and MUGM (Guantanamo). And 3M has been flying MIA-HAV weekly since its "Gulfstream International" days.

Not exactly a rumor...I've seen it on the flight radar 24 site numerous times.

aacun

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:52 am

AA flies not only daily to HAV but Ive seen flights to Camaguey, Holguin, Santiago and several other cities in Cuba on our bid sheet month after month. Theres even TPA-HAV flights there as well.

chrisp390

Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:22 am

How would they ever be allowed to do that? They are not a Cuban or US airline so I dont see how this will be allowed if they intend on selling the MIA - HAV leg to Americans

MAH4546

Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:31 am

Quoting chrisp390 (Reply 6):
How would they ever be allowed to do that? They are not a Cuban or US airline so I dont see how this will be allowed if they intend on selling the MIA - HAV leg to Americans

They would be allowed to do it because the U.S. government believes in very liberal air treaties and EU carriers have very liberal 5th freedom rights from the United States. Air Europe flies MIA-PUJ seasonally with local traffic rights; the question is whether Cuba would allow the local traffic, because based on the U.S.-EU air treaty, Air Europa will have MIA-HAV rights.

Quoting Aacun (Reply 5):

AA flies not only daily to HAV but Ive seen flights to Camaguey, Holguin, Santiago and several other cities in Cuba on our bid sheet month after month. Theres even TPA-HAV flights there as well.

AA flies from HAV to MIA multiple times a day, as well as daily to TPA and JFK.
a.

bx737

Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:17 am

If memory serves, Iberia based aircraft in Miami a few years ago. I can't remember where they flew to, but I think they had DC9s and later A320s. It has been done before.

airbazar

Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:24 pm

Quoting Coal (Reply 1):
So these would be fifth freedom flights? Not sure what the business rationale is here.

The business rationale is easy to understand. Instead of parking the aircraft in MIA for a few hours, run a couple of round-trips to HAV.

migair54

Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:24 pm

Quoting bx737 (Reply 8):
If memory serves, Iberia based aircraft in Miami a few years ago. I can't remember where they flew to, but I think they had DC9s and later A320s. It has been done before.

They had many years ago. Dc-9 and later A319. They flew to central America, but after the transit Visa was introduce the start direct flight from MAD then codeshare with TACA out of SJO mainly.

They had, but it

Quoting airbazar (Reply 9):
The business rationale is easy to understand. Instead of parking the aircraft in MIA for a few hours, run a couple of round-trips to HAV.

The schedule of UX don't allow any rotation to HAV at all and it's mot even daily, if they get the rights I guess they'll base 1-2 planes at HAV, B738 or E190.

UX097 MAD1500 – 1950MIA 332 x34
UX098 MIA2150 – 1220+1MAD 332 x34