Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

egph
Topic Author

Domestic Flights Into LHR

Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:31 pm

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows of the percentage breakdown of passengers travelling on domestic services into LHR with BA and for a limited time VS in terms of O&D vs connecting traffic. I don't know if there's a place on the web with this info or if you need to be 'in the know'. I have done EDI-LHR a few times as an O&D pax with either Little Red or BA and especially with Little Red I always feel a bit like an oddity as it seems very much geared towards feeding long haul VS routes. So say with BA's LBA/NCL/MAN/EDI/GLA - LHR routes what percentage of passengers are O&D as with many of the 'English domestic' flights as opposed to from Scotland, the train wouldn't be that much slower. Any info gladly received!

David_itl

RE: Domestic Flights Into LHR

Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:58 pm

This may be a starting point for you as it details the BA transfer traffic. VS Little Red was competing more with the trains than feeding long-haul if I've got it correct.

vv701

Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:07 am

Quoting david_itl (Reply 1):
This may be a starting point

Thanks for posting the link.

Excepting ABZ (and almost certainly the influence of the oil industry there) the rule of thumb seems to be the shorter the route, the higher the proportion of transfer traffic. This makes sense as competing ground transportation is obviously more time competitive for shorter distance O&D traffic.

richcandy

Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:30 am

Hi

A little bit of topic but things seam to of changed over the past few years. In the past the BA & BD seamed to have better schedules. If you had a passenger who say needed to travel from Belfast to London for the day then BD (and years before BA) would of offered an early departure outbound and a late departure inbound.

The current schedule for 15th Jan shows:

BA1431 BHD LHR 0750 0915
BA1422 LHR BHD 1935 2055

Easyjet to Stansted have

EZY254 BFS STN 0615 0725
EZY267 STN BFS 2000 2155

Some passengers on this route are not going to want to fly from BFS and/or into STN. However if you are travelling for business and want to spend a full day with the client or at your London office well an 0915 arrival into LHR means you unlikely to get to where you need to go before 10-10:30am. Its really too late.

BD and before that BA & BD used to carry a lot of the business traffic on this route. Leisure passengers who were more price sensitive tended to go with the cheapest option. However if you have a LCC offering a better schedule and I guess in some cases a lower fare have BA sort of moved away from the day return business market in favour of using the domestic flight as needed into long haul services?

Alex

downtown273

Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:11 pm

Quoting EGPH (Thread starter):
domestic services into LHR with BA and for a limited time VS

Remember Aer Lingus (EI) also operate domestic flights into LHR, from Belfast City (BHD).

Quoting richcandy (Reply 3):
BA1422 LHR BHD 1935 2055

I think BHD closes at 9:15pm (2115). They can't land any later than that. The latest LHR-BHD flights are:
BA1422 1935-2055
EI37 1945-2105

As I see Aer Lingus target domestic traffic (they do not offer any connecting flights on their own metal via LHR). However British Airways mainly targets connecting traffic, and will grab any O&D they can. If they wanted to target O&D on LHR-BHD, they'd set a flight first thing in the morning for business pax. Their current first departure northbound is 10:00am.

egph
Topic Author

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:26 pm

Thanks guys for all your informative answers. I wasn't including Ireland-LHR flights in my question as those flights don't compete with trains in the same way as the GB ones do. So I guess I was trying to get at "how many O&D pax choose flying over the train when both are in close competition".

Armodeen

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:47 pm

On another site someone posted the breakdown for BA recently, MAN has the most transfer pax with something like 60%. EDI and GLA had the lowest %

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos