Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hh65man
Topic Author

UA Leaves Dog And Kennel Out In The Rain

Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:00 am

After a passenger snapped a photo seems like twitter lit up for awhile.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...alf-hour-despite-alerts-staff.html

JetBuddy

RE: UA Leaves Dog And Kennel Out In The Rain

Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:19 pm

Looks like the kennel was under the wing, shielded from the rain. Of course it's not nice for a pet sitting in a small cage on the tarmac in 10C and rainy conditions, with lots of people, machines and scary sounds around. But I don't think United did anything wrong here. People should be aware of what their "beloved pets" as Sia put it, have to endure when traveling by air.

speedbored

Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:25 pm

If it was anything like my dog, it was probably very happy to be getting as wet, dirty and smelly as possible.  

Far too many people think their dogs want to be treated like humans - they don't.

Mir

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:48 pm

Quoting JetBuddy (Reply 1):
Looks like the kennel was under the wing, shielded from the rain.

Doesn't to me - it looks like it's far enough away that it's in the open. Either that, or it's under the wing, but so far out toward the wingtip that the wing isn't going to offer much protection.

Not that 10C is cold by any stretch of the imagination, and the dog probably doesn't mind getting a bit wet. But animals shouldn't be sitting out on the ramp even in perfect weather for any significant stretch of time - ramps are loud and unfamiliar places, and the animals are probably very scared. They should be kept inside until it's close to departure time, then bring them out and put them on. And yes, you'll probably have to charge more to do that, but I'd think most pet owners would appreciate it.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

db373

Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:51 pm

People should be aware of what their "beloved pets" as Sia put it, have to endure when traveling by air.

And the alternative is....what? Seriously, people shouldn't have to be aware of what their pet endures because when they drop their pet off it should be treated properly. It's not like people are allowed to accompany their pet onto the plane, so the passenger has no choice but to trust the airline, and UA kinda failed on this one.......
Keep Delta My Delta

nyc2theworld

Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:12 pm

http://www.click2houston.com/news/un...fter-dog-photo-goes-viral/30465198 - Looks like this is all much ado about nothing.
Always wonderers if this "last and final boarding call" is in fact THE last and final boarding call.

cxb744

Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:13 pm

I'm sorry, but shipping your animal by air is abuse. The noise on ANY airport ramp is very high pitch and scary to animals that can cause permanent damage to them, I'm speaking from personnal experience.
Bring them on board if you must, but ideally get a good pet sitter, or choose alternative transport.
What is it? It's A 747-400, but that's not important right now.

DDR

Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:20 pm

As an airline employee, I would never subject my dog to air travel. It's too stressful for the animal. Sure there are a few good guys on the ramp who will try to take care of the dog, but too often these poor animals get thrown around like they are just baggage.

The picture on Twitter is funny because this happens every day, not sure why this is so surprising to the general public. Don't get me started on the breeders who ship puppies all over the place!

MaverickM11

Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:34 pm

Quoting DDR (Reply 7):
The picture on Twitter is funny because this happens every day, not sure why this is so surprising to the general public.
Quoting nyc2theworld (Reply 5):
- Looks like this is all much ado about nothing.

That's so weird cuz Twitter users usually get the whole story and remain pretty level headed about things they know a lot about 

[Edited 2015-01-01 09:39:01]
I don't take responsibility at all

DDR

Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:47 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 8):

Ha! Maverick, that is the funniest post I have read in a long time. Thanks for the laugh buddy.

stlgph

Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:59 pm

No, the problem here is being entirely missed.
United's response should have never been "call PetSafe and tell them, they're the ones to handle this."

Social media strategy:
1. React
2. Engage
3. Resolve
4. Respond

Always
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

jetwet1

Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:18 pm

And people are amazed that pax take little Fluffy to the vet and get them certified as an assistance animal....

jayunited

Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:20 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 10):
No, the problem here is being entirely missed.
United's response should have never been "call PetSafe and tell them, they're the ones to handle this."

Social media strategy:
1. React
2. Engage
3. Resolve
4. Respond

Always

As an airline employee I think it is wrong for any pet parent to subject their animal to the stress of traveling in the pit of an aircraft. I am a pet parent I have a beautiful dog and I would never subject my dog to this because no matter what airline you choose the animal is under extreme pressure and stress. I think it is animal abuse and people should find someone who can babysit their lovable 4 legged friends for them.

Just so everyone knows at all major hubs PetSafe employees are United Airlines ramp employees most of them work out of the cargo operations because United now requires all animals traveling in the cargo hold to be checked in at cargo where they are held special heated or air conditioned rooms while they wait either for their owners to pick them up or to be place on a flight. They are transported in heated/air conditioned vans to/from their flights but it is not possible to drop off every animal 5 minutes before a plane departs the gate especially during a busy arrival and departure bank when there can be anywhere between 30 - 50 animals in transport (arriving and departing) during that one bank.

That being said the response was saying PetSafe is the one to call is the wrong response it should have read we've called PetSafe. But the truth is standard operating procedures were followed all animals are loaded on the plane last so that they are the first off the plane also loading them on the plane last keeps them from being crushed by luggage, freight or mail that might shift during the flight. Ideally you want to drop the animal off as close to departure time as possible. IATA regulations do allow animals to be dropped off plane side I believe 45 minutes prior to departure as long as they are protected from the elements which is why UA allows animals to be dropped plane side up to 30 minutes prior to departure and if you are still loading luggage, freight and mail the animal is to be placed underneath the wing of the aircraft especially during inclement weather and this animal was underneath the wing not in the rain.

N415XJ

Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:36 pm

Quoting jayunited (Reply 12):
As an airline employee I think it is wrong for any pet parent to subject their animal to the stress of traveling in the pit of an aircraft.

Sometimes you don't have an option. When a family with a dog moves a long distance, what are they supposed to do? Leave their dog behind because they might get stressed out? And what if they absolutely can't find a dog sitter if they are going on a long vacation? I'd think that people generally only travel with their pets if there is no other option, if only because arranging travel for a pet is a massive headache.

malaysia

Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:41 pm

Another question, is it possibly empty? sometimes empty kennels are shipped
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

CARST

Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:06 pm

Everyone, especially the twitter user who started it should calm the F down. It is not a toddler or helpless human being. It is an animal. An animal that has no problem staying in that box for 30 minutes, despite some rain. Some people should really get a life instead of ruining an airlines reputation.

Nevertheless the response of United was the dumbest of any large company in the past month to such a social media outcry. Objectively this whole thing might be a non-issue, but subjectively there are far better responses to clam the situation down and stop this into becoming a typical internet-shitstorm.

ozark1

Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:13 pm

Quoting cxb744 (Reply 6):
I'm sorry, but shipping your animal by air is abuse.

I completely agree. When I was a kid we moved from TYS to ELP and shipped our dog. She was never the same. Refused to ride in the car and then was terrified of it for a long time. I would drive before I would expose my dog to what has to be a frightening experience. I'm sure some are medicated, but that's really abuse as well.

TWA772LR

Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:15 pm

I think the media is making a bigger deal about this than when Delta actually lost someones dog. I smell media favoritism.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

fxramper

Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:32 pm

In my decade plus of working for an airline and experiencing rain on the ramp, even a drizzle, it doesn't just fall straight down and cut a nice pattern around the wing. I would never fly a pet in the cargo hold.

Quoting cxb744 (Reply 6):

jetblueguy22

Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:39 pm

Of course it's not nice for a pet sitting in a small cage on the tarmac in 10C and rainy conditions, with lots of people, machines and scary sounds around. But I don't think United did anything wrong here. People should be aware of what their "beloved pets" as Sia put it, have to endure when traveling by air.

I'm sorry but if I'm paying upwards of 250 dollars to send my pet on an airline I would expect better treatment than being left out in the rain. I understand there are many things that go on getting a flight out on time, but leaving a dog out on a ramp is not acceptable for the sum that I would pay them. Shipping a pet from 10-50 pounds on United is $259. For that sum you would think you get a little better service...

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 11):
And people are amazed that pax take little Fluffy to the vet and get them certified as an assistance animal....

Exactly.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

ikramerica

Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:57 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 19):

At IAH CO has always had heat controlled pet transfer vehicles and the animals were never left outside like that. The new UA changed pet policies but I wasn't aware that at hub operations they unloaded crates onto the ground like that.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

DDR

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:10 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 20):

Yea, for $250 you would expect a little better service. That's more than the charge for an UM which is weird when you think about it.

alfa164

Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:04 am

Quoting CARST (Reply 15):
Nevertheless the response of United was the dumbest of any large company in the past month to such a social media outcry.

United is becoming very well-known for dumb responses.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

N867DA

Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:23 am

I'm sure shipping any animal by air or truck is frightening for the animal, but there isn't a cost effective way to do it. Poor creatures though.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

turbineseaplane

Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:13 am

Totally unacceptable

Silver1SWA

Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:29 am

I was following along when this blew up on Twitter. Twitter jumped on this not because of the photo, but because of United's response. That's the story here, IMO.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

turbineseaplane

Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:33 am

Everyone, especially the twitter user who started it should calm the F down. It is not a toddler or helpless human being. It is an animal. An animal that has no problem staying in that box for 30 minutes, despite some rain. Some people should really get a life instead of ruining an airlines reputati

I don't rate the importance of animals below people like you do apparently.

Your insensitivity is sad and a bit disturbing honestly.

N867DA

Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:38 am

Quoting turbineseaplane (Reply 26):
I don't rate the importance of animals below people like you do apparently.

I'm pretty sure we all rate the importance of animals below people--or at least, I hope we do. We eat them, steal their food, use them for labor without compensation, and treat them as a resource. Ultimately, animals (pets or otherwise) are not as important as people. Air transport is rough enough on people--I feel pretty bad for other animals that 'go through the system'.

Has there ever been an airline that let passengers buy their large dog or cat a seat?
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

turbineseaplane

Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:44 am

Quoting N867DA (Reply 27):
Ultimately, animals (pets or otherwise) are not as important as people

Maybe it's the wording, but I just don't agree with this statement.
Animals are different, not "less important".

jetblueguy22

Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:53 am

At IAH CO has always had heat controlled pet transfer vehicles and the animals were never left outside like that. The new UA changed pet policies but I wasn't aware that at hub operations they unloaded crates onto the ground like that.

I'm sure it was someone in a rush or just didn't care. I would have trouble thinking this is a regular policy on the part of UA. And if it is, shame on them.

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 25):
I was following along when this blew up on Twitter. Twitter jumped on this not because of the photo, but because of United's response. That's the story here, IMO.

Exactly. The response by United's twitter was a joke. There are some things you can get away with. But you really have to be careful when you're talking about people's pets. They're like another member of the family.

I'm pretty sure we all rate the importance of animals below people--or at least, I hope we do.

That doesn't mean they should be treated poorly though. I'm not saying pets should have the white glove treatment from check in to pick up. But there is a reasonable expectation that your animal will be kept in a respectable environment. Which in this case the dog wasn't.

Quoting DDR (Reply 21):
That's more than the charge for an UM which is weird when you think about it.

Even bringing a dog to put under the seat is expensive. I'm flying with mine tomorrow and it's $125 one way for her. I have no issue paying it so she won't go cargo, but that's pricey for a service that costs the airline nothing.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

PDX88

Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:00 am

I despise social media. It's magically turned every idiot with a smartphone into professional critics, lawyers, and CEOs. And all the Twitter responses fit the bill. Crucify a company because of an oversight. The dog was just fine, why the hysterics?

Here's to an even lower average IQ for 2015!

turbineseaplane

Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:05 am

Quoting PDX88 (Reply 30):
It's magically turned every idiot with a smartphone into professional critics, lawyers, and CEOs.

...and it's so much better on forums?

Have you read some of the total nonsense on the AirAsia crash forum?

Acres of people who know nothing of what they are speaking on.
And the Malaysia 370 forums have turned into "Roswell UFO" levels of speculative crazy talk.

[Edited 2015-01-01 20:06:10]

hh65man
Topic Author

Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:09 am

One remark so far has serious validity to it.... " it may be empty" .... But judging by its proximity to the luggage carts tells me it's not. I was also under the impression that the kennels were to be strapped down to a pallet rack of some type. It also very much looks like that it is no where under enough wing to provide any protection at all. While I do agree it can be seriously stressful for many a pet, especially cats I don't believe it would be torture for a lot of breeds of dogs. My Border Collie is more laid back then the most stoned human. His fur coat protects him in the most serious rains and he loves going out for a hike in the most crappiest conditions. If he were in that kennel I suspect he'd be itching to get out and round up the workers. On the other hand if the dog was of short hair and a bit more of the nervous type it would be extremely stressful for them. Quoting turbineseaplane above I agree, aren't forums such as this one a form of social media? If a airliner engine hiccups while being pushed back from the gate it gets plastered all over this sight. My entire career was spent around, under, on top of and inside crewing various helicopters and I sometimes have a difficult time reading some of the comments posted on here concerning the various topics.

northwestEWR

Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:47 am

I'm also a pet parent who would never send their dog in the hold. It's not that the folks on the ramp don't care or are lazy but when we have three airplanes on the ground and two rampers because three have already called out sick, there isn't much we can do!

With heavy ear protection on, the Huffer (Air Start carts) on the ramp under power is absolutely deafening. I can't imagine being a dog with vastly better unprotected hearing.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

copter808

Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:11 am

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 22):
United is becoming very well-known for dumb responses.

Unfortunately, I would have to agree--IF this was in fact from United.

Looks like the kennel was under the wing, shielded from the rain. Of course it's not nice for a pet sitting in a small cage on the tarmac in 10C and rainy conditions, with lots of people, machines and scary sounds around. But I don't think United did anything wrong here. People should be aware of what their "beloved pets" as Sia put it, have to endure when traveling by air.

I can tell you from experience that CO treated pets better than some passengers. And some pets DESERVE to be treated better than some passengers!!

Quoting speedbored (Reply 2):
If it was anything like my dog, it was probably very happy to be getting as wet, dirty and smelly as possible.

Ah yes, I have TWO of those!

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
Doesn't to me - it looks like it's far enough away that it's in the open. Either that, or it's under the wing, but so far out toward the wingtip that the wing isn't going to offer much protection.

Look at the water on the ramp, there is much less under the wing where the cage is.

Nevertheless the response of United was the dumbest of any large company in the past month to such a social media outcry. Objectively this whole thing might be a non-issue, but subjectively there are far better responses to clam the situation down and stop this into becoming a typical internet-shitstorm.

Agreed, IF it was actually from United. If it was, I'm sure the author was spoken to.

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 29):
I'm sure it was someone in a rush or just didn't care. I would have trouble thinking this is a regular policy on the part of UA. And if it is, shame on them.

I think is more likely is that we don't see the entire picture. Where I worked, we never would have abused the animal. Heck, we even worked momentarily short-handed while some of our workers were giving extra attention to animals. (Anyone working afternoons at CO-ORD knows who I mean!)

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 29):
Exactly. The response by United's twitter was a joke. There are some things you can get away with. But you really have to be careful when you're talking about people's pets. They're like another member of the family.

Agreed!

Quoting turbineseaplane (Reply 31):
...and it's so much better on forums?

Have you read some of the total nonsense on the AirAsia crash forum?

Acres of people who know nothing of what they are speaking on.
And the Malaysia 370 forums have turned into "Roswell UFO" levels of speculative crazy talk.

Having followed the AirAsia discussion completely, you are quite correct. Hard to believe that the professional pilots here aren't smart enough to talk first and aviate secondly! I can tell you from experience that when faced with a loss of control issue, talking to ATC was not even a consideration. Isn't it just possible that those guys and ladies (professional pilots) just might know a bit more than the average poster here on the forum? Uncrashable and unsinkable airplanes indeed...

Quoting hh65man (Reply 32):
I was also under the impression that the kennels were to be strapped down to a pallet rack of some type. It also very much looks like that it is no where under enough wing to provide any protection at all.

Never seen one on a pallet. Maybe if it was extremely large and heavy though.

rugger

Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:16 am

Has there ever been an airline that let passengers buy their large dog or cat a seat?

I believe Delta allowed it in the 1970's. For eight first class fares you were allowed to take you pet with you in the cabin no matter what size it was. Now this may only have applied to the 747 only, I'm not sure. And the animal could not be odoriferous, vicious, or noisy, I think that this was back in the days when Delta had part of the upper deck sectioned off as a private suite.

And then you had your special cases like when Lassie or Rin Tin Tin or other animal actors were traveling. They got to ride in the cabin for obvious reasons.

[Edited 2015-01-02 01:18:10]

[Edited 2015-01-02 01:18:20]

T5towbar

Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:48 am

Still do.
PetSafe drivers usually would keep animals in the van until ready to load, unless there are multiple stops. The runners are getting slammed right now, so there are making multiple runs with other commodities. Not excusing it, though.

I don't know the situation as in the picture, but we usually don't put the animal up until very end. If inclement weather, I would try to find a freight cart nearby to put the animal in until it is ready to be sent up.

This is not normal, but it was unfortunate to see. From Day 1 on the ramp, you are told that you are in a fishbowl for all to see and other people's perception can make things worse they what they are. The smallest thing can be blown out of proportion, not knowing the total picture. We try our best to make sure that all animals that are transported are taken care of and nothing comes to harm of them.
A comment from an Ex CON: Work Hard.....Fly Standby!

copter808

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:11 pm

Quoting T5towbar (Reply 36):
From Day 1 on the ramp, you are told that you are in a fishbowl for all to see

Somehow, I have managed to work with many who just seem not to grasp that fact. It's pretty obvious, if you just take the time to look at the terminal or airplane!

alfa164

Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:45 pm

Some of the airlines in the USA offer that for "celebrity animals"; i.e., animals who perform in movies or on television. It is not a service available to the rest of us...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

JetBuddy

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:54 pm

Quoting db373 (Reply 4):
And the alternative is....what? Seriously, people shouldn't have to be aware of what their pet endures because when they drop their pet off it should be treated properly. It's not like people are allowed to accompany their pet onto the plane, so the passenger has no choice but to trust the airline, and UA kinda failed on this one.......

The alternative is not sending your pet at all.

And where did UA fail on this one? They complied with all the rules.

Quoting DDR (Reply 7):
As an airline employee, I would never subject my dog to air travel. It's too stressful for the animal. Sure there are a few good guys on the ramp who will try to take care of the dog, but too often these poor animals get thrown around like they are just baggage.

The picture on Twitter is funny because this happens every day, not sure why this is so surprising to the general public. Don't get me started on the breeders who ship puppies all over the place!

Exactly.

mayor

Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:47 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
Not that 10C is cold by any stretch of the imagination, and the dog probably doesn't mind getting a bit wet. But animals shouldn't be sitting out on the ramp even in perfect weather for any significant stretch of time - ramps are loud and unfamiliar places, and the animals are probably very scared. They should be kept inside until it's close to departure time, then bring them out and put them on. And yes, you'll probably have to charge more to do that, but I'd think most pet owners would appreciate it.

And, the problem here is that none of us know what the situation is.......is it waiting to get on that particular flight? Did it just arrive off the flight and is waiting for transport to cargo or to another flight? None of us know, but if we did, we might be able to better understand the situation we're looking at.

When I worked at DL cargo in SLC, for about the last 18 months before I retired, I used to transport Delta DASH (small pkg) back and forth to the ramp (connections were made along with baggage transfers). But, I also transported animals back and forth from cargo to the ramp. Sometimes, during day shift on Saturdays, we might have 30-40 live animal shipments, originating, at the cargo office and taken to the ramp. We tried to get them there as close to departure time as possible, but sometimes it doesn't always work because of the way the flight schedules are. I also brought the animals back to cargo when SLC was the destination. If any were connecting, if there was too much connection time, I would bring them back to cargo to wait for their flight OR, if there was a flight leaving before their assigned flight, I would put them on that and we'd update it in the cargo computer.

Don't always think that the pet owners are saints when shipping their animals. When I worked at ORD, a lady came in to ship her German Shepherd and wanted to put it in a medium kennel. I told her that the dog was too large for that size kennel and she insisted. She didn't want to pay the dimensional weight on the larger kennel. Anyway, finally, I told her to go out in the warehouse and try to get the dog in the medium kennel. Well her and the dog struggled and she DID finally get it in, but when she closed the door, all you could see was fur, sticking out. I then convinced her that, per the rules, it had to go in a larger kennel (this was back when they were made of wood and not plastic).

Just as an FYI, in 2014, DL carried 85,000 live animals, including pets and exotic animals, as cargo. In addition, they carried 22,000 animals checked as baggage.

[Edited 2015-01-02 20:50:53]
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

cabochris

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:40 am

Today, pet travel is like unaccompanied child travel.. at the cost of travel, airlines need to step up and accommodate and care, or loose business. $50 one way pet in cargo on WJ, $100 AC, $100 AS, $200 plus on DL, UA and AA.... one way, they need to travel too..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos