Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

4holer
Topic Author

Qantas 007 Diverted To LAX. Fuel Or Medical?

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:33 am

QF7 made a left turn off Mexico today and stopped at LAX.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/Q...7/history/20150102/0425Z/YSSY/KDFW
I know we avoid diversion threads, but in this case, I am curious as to whether the long distance of the flight combined with the southern hemisphere summer had resulted in a fuel stop, or if it was medical.
I missed it flying over me in PHX by about 10 minutes. Looked at FR24 a little late!
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

bill142

RE: Qantas 007 Diverted To LAX. Fuel Or Medical?

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:07 am

Weather in DFW apparently
https://twitter.com/Qantas/status/551182586555269120

TruemanQLD

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:55 am

Quoting 4holer (Thread starter):
I know we avoid diversion threads, but in this case, I am curious as to whether the long distance of the flight combined with the southern hemisphere summer had resulted in a fuel stop, or if it was medical.
I missed it flying over me in PHX by about 10 minutes. Looked at FR24 a little late!

We do avoid diversion threads, but A.net loves a good chance to bag out QF for not ordering 77L to fly SYD-DFW  

On a serious note, doubtful it was fuel, they would've known well in advance and gone straight to LA + its normally the return leg that has the issue, not east bound.

MSJYOP28Apilot

Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:50 pm

Quoting bill142 (Reply 1):
https://twitter.com/Qantas/status/551182586555269120

On flights like these where you are up against tankage and structural MTOW due to a flight that is close to the max range of the aircraft, you often to trade fuel for payload. When the weather is bad and requires more fuel, you often need to decide upon an enroute landing or bumping revenue payload. Enroute landings can help take everyone and allow for more fuel to be uploaded at an intermediate point where MTOW/tankage will be less of an issue.

I dont know know what Qantas requires for alternate weather minimums. Most of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and the southern US have been under low ceilings and visibility with occasional thunderstorms the past several days. If the weather required at closer alternates was not legal or marginal, Qantas may have opted for a fuel stop to take on a more distant alternate. Many American carriers were carrying ELP/MCI/OMA alternates for DFW today. If Qantas was unable to do that due to tankage and they had no other legal or viable choices closer then it can easily cause an enroute landing.

Alternatively, if enroute the destination or alternate weather had deteriorated then an enroute landing may have become necessary to take on more fuel.

[Edited 2015-01-03 06:52:51]

FlightShadow

Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:06 pm

Quoting bill142 (Reply 1):

There were thunderstorms popping up stubbornly around DFW for many hours yesterday. I love a good Texas thunderstorm, especially in January...as long as I'm on the ground.
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

QANTAS747-438

Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:47 pm

That flight path and sharp turn looked unplanned.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

777222LR

Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:59 am

It doesn't seem planned. I don't think you'd see pre-flight planning for a stop at LAX for a flight like this given it's duration and ultimately unpredictable weather we have here in the southern US, nnless there were headwinds aloft that you knew of in advance of departure. (This also isn't probable given it was an eastbound flight.) Looks like the weather went south in the DFW area about 1 hour prior to crossing into the Mexican border, and they opted for LAX. (If this was indeed due to weather and not a medical diversion). At this point in the flight, LAX really makes more sense for QF than any other diversion airport on this route.

MIflyer12

Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:49 am

Quoting MSJYOP28Apilot (Reply 3):
Enroute landings can help take everyone and allow for more fuel to be uploaded at an intermediate point where MTOW/tankage will be less of an issue.

Sure, but it kills the connections - let's not try to argue that an A380 was full of people with Dallas as destination.

HNL

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:40 am

Better to divert to LAX where a replacement crew could be mustered so the flight could continue from LAX to DFW with minimal delay. Diverting anywhere else would have trapped the flight for 12+ hours once the flight cleared customs.
HNL - There's no place like it!

MSJYOP28Apilot

Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:56 pm

Quoting MIflyer12 (Reply 7):
Sure, but it kills the connections - let's not try to argue that an A380 was full of people with Dallas as destination.

Every airline has a metric that looks at connections that may be missed versus the cost of denied boardings to run the flight nonstop. At some point for every flight, it becomes more economical to stop a flight enroute then it is to bump revenue payload.

Also as I mentioned, these flights that are close to the max aircraft range make it hard to carry a distant alternate and extra holding fuel. Thus if the weather at the destination or planned alternate deteriorates enroute, it may become prudent to divert and pick up more fuel. If your planned alternate is a local alternate that isnt really suited for a diversion but works for economics or weight and balance, it can become an operational and customer service nightmare should a diversion occur there. Better to divert when you can to an airport you regularly serve.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos