usairways85

RE: Is LHR-RDU At Risk With The AA/US Merger?

Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:43 pm

Quoting kotoka (Reply 47):
According to GDS and OAG Schedules Analyser, it appears the 777-200ER will be operating on the RDU-LHR route from 01/01/16.

While this is certainly encouraging news for anyone who thought the flight was going away, however when it is 350 some odd days away AA may tweak the schedule/aircraft several more times between now and then.

airzim

Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:49 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 48):

I don't think there is any reason why it wouldn't be safe with the pharma companies flying the route for over 20 years.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/12/...gsk-employees-await-word.html?rh=1

..because GSK just announced it was significantly reducing its R&D business in NC moving most of it to Philly and the UK, announced up to 900 layoffs in RTP with some to be re-allocated to local subsidiaries or Philadelphia. This does not include other layoffs in the commercial space also impacting the region. These are the folks that would use a flight to London, not the back office and sales folks.

It's happening all over big pharma. They're getting out of the R&D business and buying startups.

I'm not saying the flight is in danger of leaving, but 20 years of history is an irrelevant benchmark for future success. Especially when you have a relatively low population base, no significant tourist market, and a heavily dominated industry in the area.

bluefltspecial

Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:36 am

Quoting blueheronNC (Reply 19):
I think it's safe. AA recently installed an AUS-LHR route to serve the local technology needs there, with DFW just a short hop by plane.
Quoting KD5MDK (Reply 20):
? AA definitely is not flying AUS-LHR.

Nope, it's BA

One wonders if this route might see a 787? Thought?
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

tommy767

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:29 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 49):

Bank of America HQ in CLT and the hub of finance in Europe being in London not satisfactory enough?
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

oc2dc

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:39 am

According to GDS and OAG Schedules Analyser, it appears the 777-200ER will be operating on the RDU-LHR route from 01/01/16.

Hasn't the 77E been on this route before?
I'm not complaining, I'm critiquing...

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:43 am

I don't think either CLT or RDU has any risk of loosing LHR. Two totally different missions. CLT is for connections and banking business, RDU has a revenue guarantee and is for o&d.

A family might be willing to drive for a cheaper flight but no business person is commuting who lives in Raleigh to CLT for a flight to Europe. Totally separate markets for the business traveler they have no effect on each other.

Quoting airzim (Reply 51):
I'm not saying the flight is in danger of leaving, but 20 years of history is an irrelevant benchmark for future success. Especially when you have a relatively low population base, no significant tourist market, and a heavily dominated industry in the area.

The only thing that really matters is that a revenue guarantee is in place and will continue to be in place unless the pharma companies leave which seems very unlikely.

LAX772LR

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:49 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 55):
and will continue to be in place unless the pharma companies leave which seems very unlikely.

You might want to scroll up and see AirZim's reply #51.....
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

KD5MDK

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:52 am

Quoting oc2dc (Reply 54):

For a long time AA had a policy of only flying 777s to LHR. Probably for product consistency reasons, but also for operational advantages (easy swapping equipment and stocking spare parts).

N1120A

Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:43 am

Yes, when the route required F. The contract was adjusted to allow J and the 763 was brought in.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

WHAM

Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:12 pm

The RDU-LHR flight is safe. The loads up front are usually packed (where the real money is made) and the flight is generally overbooked during the summers. I've even heard rumors of the 777 eventually returning to service the route.

HPRamper

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:38 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 53):
Bank of America HQ in CLT and the hub of finance in Europe being in London not satisfactory enough?

Not really. HQ might be in CLT but the majority of transatlantic banking commerce is run out of NYC and then to a lesser extent PHL and BOS.
I think it's not even just BofA in CLT but also a huge Wells Fargo operation as well. Might be others. The topic has been discussed before on here, but it's been a while.

USAirALB

Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:25 pm

I doubt RDU-LHR will ever rotate to a 777. IIRC the flight was operated by a 777 for so long because the aircraft rotated DFW-LGW-RDU-LGW-DFW. Once DFW and RDU gained access to LHR, AA was able to use a 763 that was already operating ex ORD/BOS on the RDU turn for the flight.

Honestly, while AA still holds the contract or whatever is in place, it makes much more sense for DL to operate the flight at this point.

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 60):
I think it's not even just BofA in CLT but also a huge Wells Fargo operation as well. Might be others. The topic has been discussed before on here, but it's been a while.

At this point, Wells has a larger operation in CLT than BofA I believe, and they just recently announced they were going to open another trading floor in CLT. Wells has more diverse operations in CLT than BofA; BofA does have its headquarters in CLT, but the business here is much more personal banking focused.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

Cubsrule

Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:27 pm

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 61):
Honestly, while AA still holds the contract or whatever is in place, it makes much more sense for DL to operate the flight at this point.

How so? Both have huge hubs with lots of LHR service nearby.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

LAX772LR

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:07 am

Quoting WHAM (Reply 59):
and the flight is generally overbooked during the summers

Doesn't mean much. Keep in mind that this is AA's go-to flight for mileage redemption as well: try getting a low-level AAdvantage redemption to LON, without going through RDU.... good luck.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

dank

Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:27 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 63):

Quoting WHAM (Reply 59):
and the flight is generally overbooked during the summers

Doesn't mean much. Keep in mind that this is AA's go-to flight for mileage redemption as well: try getting a low-level AAdvantage redemption to LON, without going through RDU.... good luck.

and where to put low air fares in general. the only times i took it it was maybe 1/3 full in back.

Quoting KD5MDK (Reply 57):

For a long time AA had a policy of only flying 777s to LHR. Probably for product consistency reasons, but also for operational advantages (easy swapping equipment and stocking spare parts).

As far as I know it was only for operational reasons. They don't need first class seats on the flight and they don't fill her up in back consistently. When the route used to exist it was to LGW, not LHR. The only other flights AA was flying to LGW were from Dallas and they needed to swap the planes in London in order to bring the plane back for maintenance. During winter, one of the Dallas flights was a 763 and during summer both were 772s. So during the summer they had no choice but to use a 777 on the route and in the winter they could right size it back down to a 763. With the switch to LHR they were able to put it on a smaller plane year round.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos