Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wstakl

RE: New Zealand Aviation Thread 151

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:44 am

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 198):
Cutting because the limited pitch means that the seat infront will be cutting into your knees.
Edge because with 3-4-3 all but the super thin (and children) are squashed right against to both edges of the seat.

Very good!

Just wondering what happens to the 763 on NRT-CHC (NZ94) route after it's landed in CHC. Was on this flight the other day and was curious as to it's next flight. Does it do a domestic hop up to AKL?

mariner

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:54 am

Quoting zkncj (Reply 199):
Looks like taking an flight on the CV580 just got easier, or maybe on there DC3

I didn't realise they have a Convair, I haven't flown on one for - well, a very long time.

If they put it on the Auckland route, I might have to take a trip to Whakatane.  

mariner

ZaphodHarkonnen

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:55 am

Quoting xiaotung (Reply 196):
It has been reported in the Chinese media that SkyTeam member Xiamen Airlines are preparing to launch XMN-SYD-WLG route with B787 later this year. SYD appear to be a near done deal but would WLG runway be a problem for B787?

It's my understanding the only thing that was limiting B787 operations from WLG was being weight limited for the long haul stuff due to runway length. But if you're only going as far as Sydney where you can then top up for the big hop then WLG is probably long enough.

It'd be neat to see something new at WLG. ^_^

zkncj

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:59 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 201):

I didn't realise they have a Convair, I haven't flown on one for - well, a very long time.

They have about 4 I think, 2x Freighters and 2x Passenger CV580s

Quoting mariner (Reply 201):

If they put it on the Auckland route, I might have to take a trip to Whakatane.

Only if they have an direct turn around service  

nascarnut

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:15 am

Quoting WSTAKL (Reply 200):
Just wondering what happens to the 763 on NRT-CHC (NZ94) route after it's landed in CHC. Was on this flight the other day and was curious as to it's next flight. Does it do a domestic hop up to AKL?

Currently on Wed/Sun it operates as Flt596 CHC-AKL operating domestic sector.
A 763 also positions empty on a Wed CHC-AKL.

mariner

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:27 am

Quoting zkncj (Reply 203):
Only if they have an direct turn around service

Oh, I'd hire a car and make it more than that.  

I haven't been to that part of the world for - well, a very long time. But one of my favourite Christmas holidays ever was roaming the East Cape. When I came back here to live, I nearly chose Eastland instead of Northland.

mariner

zkncj

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:39 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 205):
Oh, I'd hire a car and make it more than that.

Not sure if there are hire cars at the airport  

mariner

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:46 am

Quoting zkncj (Reply 206):
Not sure if there are hire cars at the airport  

Oh, mate, it's easy. Trusty Google tells me there's Budget at the airport, and Avis, Budget and Hertz in town, a short taxi ride away.

But even if there were not, I'm a very resourceful traveller. Some of the places I've ended up, I've had to be.  

mariner

MillwallSean

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:02 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 193):
That isn't my perception, and what I objected to was the use of the word ""corrupt" in connection with Air NZ.

The meaning corrupt was very clear. My explanation of NZ governments allowance of cooperation between NZ and every other international airline that fly a competing route is due to the government and NZ being to tight. Thats corruption and banana republic style governance.

if someone can explain to me why its in the publics interest to have Virgin and NZ cooperate?
To Asia we have NZ flying and competing on three routes. SIN, HKG and soon PEK.
Now lets look at what the government have done here lately. SQ and NZ cooperation agreed upon, CX and NZ cooperation agreement agreed upon and now NZ and CA and the same thing will happen.

To the islands we have NZ cooperating with Virgin so that sorts the main player.
Then on the side we see NZ cooperate with and have agreements with Aircalin, Fiji Airways (formerly Air Pacific), Air Rarotonga, Air Tahiti Nui and Air Vanuatu.

SO where do we see competition? And how can any government think its in the public's interest to have its only airline being given a monopoly on every longhaul route it flies?

If this would have been agreements from 1977 fair enough but most of them have been decided over the last 5 years. No government in its right mind think its in the interest of the public to have its national carrier (who maximizes profit from the locals) being given a competition free ride on every long haul route it choose to serve. If thats not corruption what is?
Its pretty obvious that the airline is way way way to close to the regulators in the small pond of decision makers in New Zealand. Such decision would never be made if the main role was the good of the people.

And yes NZ has returned good profits lately. Good on them. They sure have received every possible help from the government to continue delivering those profits with them agreeing to the last cooperations.

Now we ask, what good does monopoly routes do the traveling public or the business who aims to export/import?

mariner

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:10 am

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 208):
The meaning corrupt was very clear

It sure was.

My explanation of NZ governments allowance of cooperation between NZ and every other international airline that fly a competing route is due to the government and NZ being to tight. Thats corruption and banana republic style governance.

And I still object to it.

mariner

Gasman

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:18 am

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 198):
Ok, as an economy passenger how is going 3-4-3 a cutting edge product?

Cutting because the limited pitch means that the seat infront will be cutting into your knees.
Edge because with 3-4-3 all but the super thin (and children) are squashed right against to both edges of the seat.

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 197):
Yeah they do seem to have successfully duped the media into peddling the "upgrade" storyline, minus the mention of the extra seat abreast.

I find this very annoying. At release, the herald spent ages praising the revolutionary goodness of the skycouch but only a single sentence mentioning 3-4-3. Not a stunning bit of journalism.

And this is why I spend so much of my time here bitching about 10 abreast in Y etc. etc. The New Zealand media may as well just be an arm of NZs marketing machine. NZ could go 11 abreast in a 777, and the media would simply rave about the skycouch, or the fact you can order diet coke off the IFE. It's extremely annoying.

zkncj

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:25 am

To the islands we have NZ cooperating with Virgin so that sorts the main player.
Then on the side we see NZ cooperate with and have agreements with Aircalin, Fiji Airways (formerly Air Pacific), Air Rarotonga, Air Tahiti Nui and Air Vanuatu.

NZ/VA aren't allowed to cooperate on the Pacific Island route, they have applied for the extension to cover the pacific islands.

At the moment they are prevent from even giving you points/lounge access on there pacific island flights if you an member of the non-operating airline.

The Fiji Airways agreement only covers LAX-NAN, On NAN-AKL/CHC/WLG they have to compete.

if someone can explain to me why its in the publics interest to have Virgin and NZ cooperate?

Since the NZ/VA partnerhip it has been cheaper to get Tasman flights, also means we get to us on status benfits on Virgin Flights within Aussie.

NZ107

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:47 am

Quoting gasman (Reply 180):
For the first decade of their existence the 744s had 34 inch seat pitch. And so on.

The 744s had 34 inches until the day they were retired.

Quoting xiaotung (Reply 196):
but would WLG runway be a problem for B787?

Definitely not for flights to SYD.. Think about the 763s which used to fly into/out of WLG. Even the 747SP.

Quoting zkncj (Reply 203):
They have about 4 I think, 2x Freighters and 2x Passenger CV580s

ZK-CIB, CIE and CIF are all passenger ones (not sure if they have more than that), yet they can all probably be configured to all passenger or all cargo. The seats are on pallets so they are easy to remove/install, depending on the day.

Andrensn

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:06 am

Quote:
ONE News has learned of a serious breach of safety procedures involving Air New Zealand which potentially compromised the safety of passengers and crew.

On October 11 last year, an incident occurred prior to a flight leaving Fiji for Auckland.

Ground handlers advised Air New Zealand's local representative that the machine which weighs freight at Nadi Airport broke down.

The decision was made to rely on shipping documentation alone to estimate the weight of the cargo.
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/air-...cedures-not-weighing-cargo-6222607

Apparently the media has picked up on one fault of airnz  

777ER
Head Moderator

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:07 am

New Zealand Aviation Thread 152 (by 777ER Jan 21 2015 in Civil Aviation)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos