Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

American 767
Topic Author

The MSY Thread - Part 2

Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:49 pm

Please continue the discussion here.

The MSY Thread (by NolaMD88fan Oct 1 2014 in Civil Aviation)

Enjoy cajun food 
Ben Soriano
Ben Soriano

NolaMD88fan

RE: The MSY Thread - Part 2

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:34 pm

I know we don't have a ton of upstream energy companies here, but there is plenty of midstream and downstream energy business. A lot of that oil sand crude is shipped down here to be refined. That must drive some extra business to YYC.

LAX772LR

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:58 am

Quoting NolaMD88fan (Reply 1):
I know we don't have a ton of upstream energy companies here, but there is plenty of midstream

Isn't that pretty much what you'd want though?

I mean, when you get too upstream in the energy business, then you're talking about Gulfstreams to YYC, not RJs or Rouge.  
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

NolaMD88fan

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:12 pm

Very true. I am also glad we are less dependent on the upstream end given the current oil prices. Most of our energy jobs are now tied into refining, storage, and shipping of oil based products. The majority of offshore planning takes place in HOU now. Only Shell and Chevron keep large engineering bases here now. Plus, the deepwater stuff takes a decade to develop, so there shouldn't be a huge slowdown in deepwater drilling plans. The companies more dependent on fracking are going to be hurting soon if oil doesn't climb back up to around 60 bucks. Places like OKC, MAF, and even HOU will be feeling the pinch more during this current downturn since these cities host most of the fracking companies.

apjung

Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:34 pm

You would also think that the legacy airlines especially AA would take notice that Louisiana has eclipsed California in film making and add more nonstop destinations or even consider bringing focus city operations to MSY. I would like to see AA offer MSY-LAX nonstop and US offer MSY-PHX that HP pulled in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and never brought back.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/louisiana-the-new-hollywood/

New Orleans has two major sports teams (Saints and Pelicans) but without an airline hub or focus city operations. I can only think of IND and STL but AA offers nonstop LAX service and US offers nonstop PHX service.
SAN would also be another but they have decent nonstop International service including NRT and LHR. We are waiting to see when BA will ever bring nonstop service to MSY. AM tried nonstop MEX service a few years ago. The daily flights were usually full but they discontinued it for unknown reasons.

Is New Orleans the largest cruise ship port without an airline hub or focus city operations? You can say Galveston, Texas but it's a short commute from HOU and IAH.

Does Greater New Orleans have the largest Honduran population without nonstop service to SAP? TACA used to offer the 2½ hour nonstop flight until Hurricane Katrina.
Just before Christmas, my friend flew to SAP on AA with a 10 hour layover at MIA. On the return trip last week with another 10 hour layover at MIA, it took her over 24 hours to get from SAP to MSY. Her connecting flight from MIA to MSY was cancelled and she had to spend the night at MIA. The next morning she had to connect at CLT on US because there were no seats available on the AA nonstop to get back to MSY.
Andy P. Jung

SunsetLimited

Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:44 pm

It has to be only a matter of time before AC jumps up to a larger gauge. Impressive to see how good the route is doing.

For 2015, here's what I would like to see...in no particular order.

1) B6 to FLL.
2) AA to PHX. Long shot, but it would scratch an itch.
3) CM to PTY
4) NK to CLE/LAS
5) DL to RDU. Would have to be a CR9 sized aircraft.
6) WN to BOS. I think the route is large enough for a second carrier, and who better than WN to fly it?

I don't think we'll get a Euro flight this year but I think 2016 will be our year.

Also in '16 I think you'll see G4 extend the length of some of the routes (CVG and IND come to mind...not sure about LCK as of yet) to a longer seasonal service...say from November - May. I could see one or both of those go year-round at some point though. If G4 sees success here, additions like OKC, OMA, and GSO would not surprise me.

[Edited 2015-01-08 14:47:57]

I don't think we'll see VX here anytime soon now that WN has announced OAK.

[Edited 2015-01-08 14:54:20]
Spread hope like fire.

NolaMD88fan

Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:19 am

Quoting SunsetLimited (Reply 5):
For 2015, here's what I would like to see...in no particular order.

All of those sound reasonable Sunset. WN would do very well on the BOS route. Enough demand is there to fill two 738's.

I would love to TATL service start in the Fall, but that window is closing quickly. Hopefully, we'll hear something announced in the Fall that will be bookable for Spring 2016.

I didn't think about NK to CLE. Definite possibility.

The LAX market is pretty crowded right now, so not sure that AA would add that. However, I'm still shocked they haven't tried to bring the PHX flight back. WN routinely flies 175 seat aircraft on that route, and it's packed.

Quoting apjung (Reply 4):
Is New Orleans the largest cruise ship port without an airline hub or focus city operations? You can say Galveston, Texas but it's a short commute from HOU and IAH.

We are definitely the largest cruise port without a focus city operation. Other cruise ports without a focus or hub are CHS, JAX, and ORF, but they only have Carnival ship docking there. Our cruise capacity will be expanding as the Poland Ave. terminal starts construction in the next couple of months, and the port is in negotiations with several lines. Demand will only continue to grow as New Orleans was voted favorite cruise port to depart from recently.

Does Greater New Orleans have the largest Honduran population without nonstop service to SAP? TACA used to offer the 2½ hour nonstop flight until Hurricane Katrina.

MSY has the 6th largest Honduran population in the United States, and the 14th largest Central American population. LAX and WAS are 4th and 5th largest in terms of Honduran population, and do not have non-stop options to SAP. However, they do have non-stops to SAL which is then an easy connection to SAP. We have the largest Honduran and Central American population in the US without a non-stop to Honduras or Central America. There are also some extensive business ties between both regions through the port, Oschner, and Pan American Life.

However, there are very strong rumors that CM will announce service to PTY in the next few weeks (fingers crossed it's true). I do know the airport and state have been in negotiations for a while.

alasizon

Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:27 am

Some of us at PHX think this may be a CR9 addition in the coming year, but who knows.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

LAX772LR

Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:59 am

You would also think that the legacy airlines especially AA would take notice that Louisiana has eclipsed California in film making and add more nonstop destinations or even consider bringing focus city operations to MSY.

No real sense in them doing that, unless the S.A.P. wants to pay big bucks for a nonstop. DL and WN rule the market, and it almost directly overflies DFW, which they could easily put people on with minimal cnnx time.

Same for UA, who has consistently shrank LAX-MSY over the years, whereas DL/WN have grown. I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop it altogether, routing people over Houston (almost directly on the Great Circle) during the next market shock, unless they have a specific contract for it.

The daily flights were usually full

No they weren't.

In fact, they when they had the morning departure, they were struggling to get even 60% loads, and that was on giveaway fares.

but they discontinued it for unknown reasons.

The reason's not all that "unknown" at all..... they were charging dirt fares, for a high-cost aircraft, and no one knew they were there.

They never once advertised electronically, at all. The most that I'm aware of were a few bus ads and park benches. Also, the departure time was abysmal, with check-in at 4:30am!

SunsetLimited and I flew that flight together shortly after it launched, and were somewhat amazed to see as many people on it as we did-- which wasn't much.

Quoting NolaMD88fan (Reply 6):
However, I'm still shocked they haven't tried to bring the PHX flight back.

I'm still shocked AA's pretending that PHX will be anything more than a focus for them in the upcoming years.

It's not a particularly big-business destination, it's infested with WN (who *is* committed to the market), and the only unique flows that it caters to more efficiently than the LAX+DFW combo, is the PacNW to Mexico and LatAm.... which the newly-international WN is sure to exploit, in due time.

[Edited 2015-01-08 18:08:04]

AVLAirlineFreq

Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:28 am

This might be a dumb question, but what would AA to PHX give MSY that AA to DFW doesn't provide? Or, AA to LAX?

LAX772LR

Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:58 am

Quoting AVLAirlineFreq (Reply 9):
but what would AA to PHX give MSY that AA to DFW doesn't provide? Or, AA to LAX?

Basically, nothing-- which is why they aren't doing it.

Another landing fee and flight option, if one wants to be technical, but still.

SunsetLimited

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:17 am

Quoting AVLAirlineFreq (Reply 9):
This might be a dumb question, but what would AA to PHX give MSY that AA to DFW doesn't provide? Or, AA to LAX?

I honestly don't think either will be added, but I think PHX would have a better chance that LAX. LAX has nonstop competition in the form of 2 WN flights, 3 DL flights, and 1 UA. PHX just has 1 WN. I think another PHX flight would help grow the O&D in the market, and provide another connecting option besides DFW to the major Western markets. Basically anything from MSY to the west does gangbusters. Again, it's just an itch I would like to see scratched.
Spread hope like fire.

Nola

Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:23 am

I wonder if we won't see DL to SEA soon. Lots of oil workers going back and forth from Alaska and DL is in a battle for market share in SEA.

LAX772LR

Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:11 am

Quoting Nola (Reply 12):
I wonder if we won't see DL to SEA soon.

Totally wouldn't be surprised.

SunsetLimited

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:35 pm

Bond sale approved for the new terminal. Construction to begin in the Fall. Opening still scheduled for May, 2018.

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...-commission-approves-borrowing-for

Port of New Orleans passes 1 million cruise ship passengers. Currently we're the 6th largest cruise ship port in the nation. This can only be good news for the airport. Now I'd like to see a second line sail from here year-round. Perhaps we'll see that once the new Poland Ave cruise terminal is built.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ort_new_orleans_cruise_passen.html
Spread hope like fire.

LAX772LR

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:37 am

Quoting SunsetLimited (Reply 14):
Currently we're the 6th largest cruise ship port

Who are the top 5?

Obviously MIA and FLL. Guessing NYC, LAX, SEA?

SunsetLimited

Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:47 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 15):
Who are the top 5?

Obviously MIA and FLL. Guessing NYC, LAX, SEA?

Galveston is certainly ahead of us. Probably Port Canaveral, too. I bet we're ahead of LAX and SEA, though.
Spread hope like fire.

NolaMD88fan

Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:55 am

This US ranking is from 2013, but I doubt things have changed all that much in 2014. The port was the 11th busiest cruise homeport in the world in 2013. http://www.ashcroftandassociates.com/downloads/CI-Autumn-2014.pdf The ranking can be found on page 61.

1. Port of Miami...4,030,000 pax
2. Port Canaveral...3,771,000 pax
3. Port Everglades...3,506,000 pax
4. Port of New York...1,220,000 pax
5. Port of Galveston...1,209,000 pax
6. Port of New Orleans...988,000 pax
7. Port of Seattle...871,000 pax
8. Port of Tampa...854,000 pax
9. Port of Long Beach...597,000 pax

South Florida is still the king when it comes to cruising.

LAX772LR

Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:00 am

Quoting NolaMD88fan (Reply 17):
2. Port Canaveral...3,771,000 pax
3. Port Everglades...3,506,000 pax

Which'un are these two?

Everglades = FLL?
Canaveral = MCO-ish?

SunsetLimited

Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:25 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 18):
Which'un are these two?

Everglades = FLL?
Canaveral = MCO-ish?

Yes sir.

I've cruised out of Canaveral before. Easy drive from the MCO area. But of course for me, nothing beats the 10 minute drive to the Port of New Orleans.  
Spread hope like fire.

mastyc

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:06 am

Quoting NolaMD88fan (Reply 3):
The companies more dependent on fracking are going to be hurting soon if oil doesn't climb back up to around 60 bucks. Places like OKC, MAF, and even HOU will be feeling the pinch more during this current downturn since these cities host most of the fracking companies.

Isn't fracking for natural gas?

NolaMD88fan

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:00 pm

Fracking is both natural gas and oil. The Eagle Ford Shale in Texas and the Bakken Formation in North Dakota are primarily oil. The Marcellus and Haynesville are primarily natural gas.

Nola

Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:23 pm

Is MSY likely to see scheduled service to Havana with the opening of Cuba? The airport is currently one of the new approved airports for flights, but with the changes announced in the last couple of weeks, are flights going to be restricted to approved airports or could flights originate from any US airport, at which point we will likely only see MIA, IAH, ATL, LAX, JFK, FLL and DFW....

NolaMD88fan

Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:21 am

Here is a list of of the 19 airports approved for travel to Cuba. http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/news/spotlights/poe-cuba

ATL, AUS, BWI, ORD, DFW, FLL, IAH, JFK, LAX, EYW, MIA, MSY, OAK, MCO, PBI, PIT, SJU, RSW, and TPA.

The large hub airports are in this list, so the likelihood of a scheduled flight from the likes of AA, DL, or UA out of MSY is probably pretty low.

If we did get a carrier to schedule a flight to HAV, I'm thinking it would be WN (assuming they can't get HOU added to the list). The reason for this is that large WN stations like MDW, DEN, and DAL do not have authorization. If these stations along with HOU cannot be added, any Cuba bound traffic from these airports would likely be routed through ATL, FLL, MCO, MSY, and TPA. I'm sure the Florida stations would grab the vast majority of the connecting traffic, but I could see 1 or 2 flights a day to HAV from WN out of MSY. Maybe that is optimistic, but right now WN does not have a ton of options to fly to Cuba out of the Midwest, Plains, and Rockies.

[Edited 2015-01-17 01:12:42]

LAX772LR

Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:45 am

Quoting NolaMD88fan (Reply 23):
The large hub airports are in this list,

EWR is oddly missing.

NolaMD88fan

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:15 am

I noticed that too. UA is obviously counting on getting approval to fly out of EWR. Honestly, any scheduled service is likely a year or more away from happening. There are several regulatory hurdles to cross before a non-chartered commercial flight can land in Cuba.

LAX772LR

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:26 am

Meh, they'll probably just get it in as an NYC coterminal... as it is with all bilaterals that I'm aware of.

That said, if it's able to do that, then there's no doubt that WN (who get whatever the want out of the DOT, apparently) would be able to do the same for HOU.

NolaMD88fan

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:31 am

Agreed. I think WN will push hard to get both HOU and MDW, and DOT will likely grant it. It's fun to spitball though and think of MSY having multiple flights to Cuba. One can dream.

LAX772LR

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:44 am

Quoting NolaMD88fan (Reply 27):
It's fun to spitball though and think of MSY having multiple flights to Cuba. One can dream.

I can remember when CUN only saw a few USA flights a day, mainly from Texas, Florida, Chicago, and NYC. Now show me a city over a million who doesn't at least have off/on charters to CUN.

Perhaps (some parts of) Cuba will be that someday, for tourism. Who knows.

TheMSYGuy

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:52 am

Quoting SunsetLimited (Reply 14):

I still don't believe that we need a new terminal. I love the MSY we have now. It works fine. No reason to spend money on something that isn't needed.

And besides, Louisiana has a way of spending money on things that don't turn out so great. Just drive on every road that the state spent to make, for example. The worst turbulence you've ever flown through will seem smooth compared to some of Louisiana's roads.

I did see one MSY employee say that the condition of the current MSY is a factor behind building a new terminal. We had the same exact issue when Lafourche Parish proposed the idea of building a new jail. They stated poor building conditions for a new jail. Citizens, myself included, asked if the new jail would be neglected like the old one was. Will the new airport be neglected like the old one was?

There's something just so nice and quaint about MSY. The short walks between TSA and your gate are something to be appreciated. I could go on and on. If anything, I wish Concourse A would get used again before building the new airport.

And the strangest thing I keep reading about the new MSY terminal is that the Mayor Landrieu wants this to be a major project credited to him or something along those lines. Mayor Landrieu isn't even the mayor of the city in which MSY is located, so I don't know why Landrieu wants to take credit. If anything, the Mayor of Kenner should get the credit.

Thoughts?

NolaMD88fan

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:31 am

The ship has sailed concerning the new terminal. I agree that it needs to be maintained properly once complete, and that is an obvious concern seeing how things are kept up here. I am confident that the current airport manager will keep it maintained, but anyone following him is a complete unknown.

MSY is actually owned and run by the City of New Orleans even though it is located in Kenner, so all credit will go to Mayor Landrieu and the NOAB when this project is complete.

bjorn14

Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:18 pm

Quoting NolaMD88fan (Reply 27):
and think of MSY having multiple flights to Cuba. One can dream.

Besides HAV and VRA where else?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

LAX772LR

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:42 pm

Quoting TheMSYGuy (Reply 29):
It works fine. No reason to spend money on something that isn't needed.

Based on WHAT?

...you seem completely unaware of the fact that the current structure is an maintenance nightmare, and that several assessments were done which basically show that the increase in mtx costs of the current facility would basically equate to the cost of building something new over the upcoming decades--- while still eventually having a need for something new thereafter.

To NOT build, especially at a time when loans/bonds/rates are favorable, and continue spending patchwork money on a 1940s design with ever-escalating costs; would be an example of Louisiana "spending money on things that don't turn out so great"... not the other way around.

SunsetLimited

Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:58 pm

I've been told from people who are personally working with the project that the new terminal will open on time in May, 2018. Construction should begin in earnest this Fall. The current terminal served its purpose well, but like the poster mentioned above, MX costs are increasing year over year.

Overall, I'm thrilled that Southeast Louisiana will have a world class commercial aviation facility. And even though there are some things that are head scratchers to me (the initial number of gates, the traffic nightmares that will ensue until an I-10 flyover is built, the shuttle to the newly constructed CONRAC), I'll be the first to praise the facility when it opens.
Spread hope like fire.

Nola

Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:29 pm

Quoting SunsetLimited (Reply 33):
ve been told from people who are personally working with the project that the new terminal will open on time in May, 2018. Construction should begin in earnest this Fall. The current terminal served its purpose well, but like the poster mentioned above, MX costs are increasing year over year.

Overall, I'm thrilled that Southeast Louisiana will have a world class commercial aviation facility. And even though there are some things that are head scratchers to me (the initial number of gates, the traffic nightmares that will ensue until an I-10 flyover is built, the shuttle to the newly constructed CONRAC), I'll be the first to praise the facility when it opens.

Bonding authority was approved last week and should go to market shortly, so the project appears to be on schedule. It does seem like 30 gates isn't enough right now, unless the airlines have agreed to increase turns on each gate. I fly mostly DL and WN. DL is using overflow gates and it seems like WN will be adding at least one of the old USAirways gates pretty soon. I'm curious whether the plans/design will change in the coming months to add a few gates to each of the planned concourses....

NolaMD88fan

Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:41 pm

October 2014 load factors have been calculated. I'm changing up the format to break up routes by each airline. I think it will be easier to see how each route is performing for each respective airline that way. Overall, the load factor at the airport was 84.2% in October, and the YTD load factor increased to 82.1%. WN's MSY-PHX route had the highest load factor in October at 94.3%. The new NK MSY-DTW route had the lowest load factor at 59.0%. NK's new MSY-ORD also started slow with a load factor of 62.1%.

Monthly LF, YTD LF, Seats, and Pax for each non-stop segment available via Transtats are listed below. Data is sorted by YTD LF.

Here are the load factors for our international routes. All data is through July 2015.

Air Canada (AC)
Segment.......Jul LF....YTD LF.....Seats..........Pax
MSY-YYZ......83.8%.....83.7%.....29,630......24,810

Vacation Express (charter flights)
Segment.......Jul LF....YTD LF.....Seats..........Pax
MSY-CUN......92.6%.....88.0%.....5,834.........5,134 (Seasonal)
MSY-MBJ.......N/A........50.3%.....1,983...........998 (ended Jun)

Here are the load factors for our domestic routes. All data is through October 2015.

Airtran (FL)
Segment.......Oct LF....YTD LF.....Seats.........Pax
MSY-MCO.....N/A..........92.4%......1,404........1,297 (ended Jan.)
MSY-MCI.......N/A..........90.9%......1,404........1,276 (ended Jan.)
MSY-MKE......N/A..........86.5%......1,287........1,113 (ended Jan.)
MSY-ATL......89.0%......81.2%....183,347.....148,794

Alaska (AS)
Segment.......Oct LF....YTD LF.....Seats..........Pax
MSY-SEA......88.1%......84.2%.....47,363.......40,087

American (AA)
MSY-DFW.....89.6%......86.0%....547,654....471,215
MSY-ORD.....81.1%......79.2%....136,590....108,144
MSY-MIA.......82.0%......72.7%....286,866....208,459

Delta (DL)
MSY-SLC......83.7%......88.9%.....65,193.......57,927
MSY-ATL......89.6%......87.0%...1,041,594...905,978
MSY-CVG.....86.3%......85.3%.....25,835.......22,045
MSY-LAX......85.4%......84.9%....208,624.....177,039
MSY-MSP.....78.7%......84.1%.....94,090.......79,102
MSY-DTW.....86.0%.....84.0%....128,457.....107,930
MSY-LGA......81.3%.....83.3%....206,104.....171,749
MSY-JFK.......80.6%.....83.3%.....92,677.......77,155
MSY-MEM.....78.4%......64.0%.....29,080.......18,624

Frontier (F9)
MSY-DEN.......N/A.........90.8%.....88,668......80,501 (Seasonal)

JetBlue (B6)
MSY-BOS......87.0%.....86.4%.....57,300.......49,519
MSY-JFK.......78.3%.....81.0%....177,150.....143,514

Southwest (WN)
MSY-SAN...... 91.8%.....92.2%.....59,234.......54,600
MSY-LAX........90.0%.....90.4%...146,299.....132,222
MSY-PHX.......94.3%.....89.6%.....99,983.......89,537
MSY-LAS.......91.8%.....86.1%....173,715.....149,581
MSY-DEN......85.3%.....86.0%.....168,503.....144,953
MSY-BNA.......89.1%.....84.3%....263,501.....222,108
MSY-FLL.......92.4%.....83.5%.....165,211.....137,877
MSY-BWI.......89.7%......83.3%....220,444.....183,725
MSY-AUS.......90.2%.....83.0%.....83,733........69,523
MSY-MDW.....87.4%.....82.5%.....220,413.....181,879
MSY-MCO......89.2%.....82.0%....355,630.....291,552
MSY-MCI........89.0%.....81.0%.....84,814........68,680
MSY-DAL.......77.2%.....79.8%....639,481......510,262
MSY-EWR......79.5%.....79.7%.....81,918........65,256
MSY-MKE.......74.6%.....77.3%.....47,157.......36,468
MSY-TPA........80.7%.....76.8%...251,924.....193,484
MSY-ATL........83.0%.....75.5%....116,072......87,581
MSY-STL........82.8%.....74.3%....136,702.....101,573
MSY-HOU.......73.2%.....72.8%....751,730.....547,452
MSY-EYW........N/A........72.1%.....44,616......32,154 (ended Jun.)
MSY-DCA........68.5%....61.6%.....47,496.......29,263

Spirit (NK)
MSY-FLL.......84.3%.....84.5%.....28,933.......24,456
MSY-DFW.....73.9%.....78.1%.....87,965.......68,736
MSY-IAH........62.3%.....63.8%.....28,933.......18,462
MSY-ORD......62.1%.....62.1%........804............499
MSY-DTW......59.0%.....59.0%........624...........368

United (UA)
MSY-EWR.....86.8%......90.2%....152,635....137,704
MSY-DEN......90.4%......86.5%....159,024....137,532
MSY-ORD.....85.5%......84.7%....181,923....154,038
MSY-IAH........85.1%......84.7%....764,139....646,962
MSY-IAD........85.9%.....82.4%.....116,284.....95,848
MSY-SFO......87.2%......81.8%......78,410.....64,170
MSY-CLE.......N/A..........81.2%........9,040......7,339 (ended Jun.)
MSY-LAX.......83.1%......81.1%......82,756.....67,099

US Airways (US)
MSY-PHL......84.8%......83.4%....123,055.....102,684
MSY-CLT......88.1%......82.6%....488,995.....403,747
MSY-DCA.....85.3%......80.1%....203,136.....162,804
MSY-MIA.......69.7%......58.1%.....41,664.......24,217

LAX772LR

Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:15 am

Quoting SunsetLimited (Reply 33):
head scratchers to me (the initial number of gates
Quoting Nola (Reply 34):
It does seem like 30 gates isn't enough

I'm still of the belief that if current growth trends at MSY continue, and this thing opens with 30 gates three and a half years from now.... then someone's going to have to stay behind in Concourse D; I'd say WN, as they don't interline. That'd leave 42 gates with a 15gate potential addition.

GenAv would just have to figure something else out. Heck, it could be NEW's chance to step back up to the plate and shine.

NolaMD88fan

Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:58 pm

Looks like our first flight to HAV will be occurring soon. A business coalition will be flying out of MSY in March for a conference in Havana. This will be our first flight to Cuba since 1958.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...oups_plan_busine.html#incart_river

SunsetLimited

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:58 am

Quoting NolaMD88fan (Reply 37):
Looks like our first flight to HAV will be occurring soon. A business coalition will be flying out of MSY in March for a conference in Havana. This will be our first flight to Cuba since 1958.

Exciting news! It's great to see the business community get involved in this. Louisiana and Cuba used to be huge trading partners. It seems like there's interest on both sides to rekindle old relations.
Spread hope like fire.

TheMSYGuy

Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:08 am

Is the PEOPLExpress signage still up around the airport? Last time I was there in early December, there was still signage over their baggage counter, but I'm not sure if there was any over their gate. I don't even know which gate they occupied in C, but I certainly didn't notice any in C.

What about the old US Airways gates in B? Has Southwest taken those over yet?

LAX772LR

Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:26 am

Quoting TheMSYGuy (Reply 39):
Has Southwest taken those over yet?

They sometimes RON in extra gates, but with their sub-60 flights there, they have no use at all paying for 5 more gates.

They'd have to scale up to at least 100 flights for that to make sense for them-- which ain't happening any time soon.

NolaMD88fan

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:34 pm

PEOPLExpress were at gate C3. I noticed the signage in the ticketing lobby as well on my flights around Christmas.

I think WN would use gate B11 next. It's a vacant gate, so they can throw a new jetbridge on and also bring in their own seating.

[Edited 2015-01-23 07:40:17]

NolaMD88fan

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:37 pm

Branson Air Express is starting service in May. 3x weekly non-stop flights will be offered to BKG and CUN. There will also be same plane direct service to CVG through BKG. This was unexpected, but a nice add to the growing roster of airlines flying out of MSY. The CVG flight will be starting right after the seasonal G4 service is currently scheduled to end. I wonder if this will prompt G4 to keep the flight going through the slow Summer months.

The CUN flight will bring the total number of airlines flying there to 3 out of MSY. If UA gets approval that number will go up to 4. That's a whole lot of capacity being added in a short time period.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...nternational_9.html#incart_m-rpt-2

SunsetLimited

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:42 pm

Apparently the addition of BKG will give MSY 45 nonstop destinations, the most it's ever had. Impressive.

It'll be interesting to see how the CUN service does considering all of the competition now. Chances are MSY will have to fill the lions share of the plane - I can't see there being much of a market in BKG-CUN.
Spread hope like fire.

NolaMD88fan

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:47 pm

If they can get people from SGF and XNA to fly to CUN from BKG than that might help fill the plane more. One stop same plane service for a decent fare would have to be appealing to the budget traveler.

Concourse C is going to run out of gates soon if this keeps up. Especially if we do grab some international airlines like CM or BA.

[Edited 2015-01-28 09:50:01]

bjorn14

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:35 pm

Quoting NolaMD88fan (Reply 42):
The CUN flight will bring the total number of airlines flying there to 3 out of MSY. If UA gets approval that number will go up to 4. That's a whole lot of capacity being added in a short time period.

Is one a Mexican carrier? Because the bilateral limits them to 3 US carriers and 3 MX carriers. Pretty impressive going from zero on the route to 3-4 in less than a year.

Nola

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:55 pm

Quoting SunsetLimited (Reply 43):
Apparently the addition of BKG will give MSY 45 nonstop destinations, the most it's ever had. Impressive.

Isn't DL pulling out of MSY-MEM? If so, there will be one less nonstop.

LAX772LR

Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:37 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 45):
Is one a Mexican carrier? Because the bilateral limits them to 3 US carriers and 3 MX carriers.

That only applies to business destinations, like Mexico City and Guadalajara.

Resort cities like Cancun, Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta, etc are not restricted as such.

NolaMD88fan

Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:41 pm

DL pulled out of MEM a couple of months ago, so it's not counted in the total. Since then SAT, OAK, CMH, IND, PUJ, and BKG have been added by various carriers.

bjorn14

Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:11 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 47):
Resort cities like Cancun, Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta, etc are not restricted as such.

14 Beach resorts are restricted to 3 and 3 and everybody else is 2 and 2.