Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nimish
Topic Author

Air Vistara (India) First Flight - Images/ Reviews

Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 am

Air Vistara (JV between Singapore Air and the Tata group) has it's first commercial flight in the air right now (UK890 - DEL-BOM operated by VT-TTB). I know we have a lot of aviation enthusiasts on board today, so creating this thread to bring their stories together.

First up - Bangalore Aviation's Vedant's report on the ground experience: BREAKING: Vistara inaugural flight – first pictures

Flightradar: http://www.flightradar24.com/VTI890/53b481a

Live twitter feed - lots of pictures from different passengers.

Keep it coming!

Good luck to Air Vistara and Indian aviation - I hope we get out of the rut we seem to be in.
Incredible India!

Nimish
Topic Author

RE: Air Vistara (India) First Flight - Images/ Reviews

Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:14 am

Incredible India!

theaviator380

Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:35 am

Finally in the sky ! Would there be water canon salute at BOM? Hoping to see they spread their network, all d best to UK.

For a change, landings are from opposite side today than usual...over arabic sea.

[Edited 2015-01-09 00:36:26]

Nimish
Topic Author

Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:18 am

Their premium economy seating looks just like the Y+ seating at UA - basically 3-4 inches more pitch - so I wonder if they're going to be able to charge substantially extra for it? Looking forward to hearing from the first pax, did they find the increased price worth it.
Incredible India!

theaviator380

Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:33 am

I won't buy Y+ from my own pocket on any carrier let alone domestic product. Y+ is just plain stupidity to me, as it gives little extra space, food little more than Y and for that carriers charge huge money which is unfair to me. Some carriers like BA doesn't even have Y+ IFE anywhere near to Y on EK, EY etc.

BLRAviation

Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:57 am

Quoting Nimish (Reply 3):
Their premium economy seating looks just like the Y+ seating at UA - basically 3-4 inches more pitch

If I remember UA gives 5 inches more. AA gives 4 inches more. Vistara gives 3 inches more. In the emergency exit rows you get 6 inches more.

Quoting theaviator380 (Reply 4):
I won't buy Y+ from my own pocket on any carrier let alone domestic product.

That has been the general reaction from most frequent fliers on other airlines. They are willing to pay a 20% premium not 100% that UK is expecting.
I am on Twitter @BLRAviation

theaviator380

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:31 am

Quoting BLRAviation (Reply 5):

Crazy that. Do you know whether UK have any plans to file for abroad routes in near future? Say, SIN or BKK or DXB etc? obviously nearer once. I so much want someone new in the business starts proper international routes but ever since Kingfisher trouble, I doubt people will take that risk. Will be interesting to see whether Indigo expand in future as they being so successful in domestic sector.

BLRAviation

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:35 am

Quoting theaviator380 (Reply 6):
Do you know whether UK have any plans to file for abroad routes in near future? Say, SIN or BKK or DXB etc? obviously nearer once.

They are waiting for the Government to relax or remove the 5/20 rule. Then you can sure expect SQ to use UK to launch flights to DXB and feed traffic to SIN. Also possibly use UK and DEL as a hub for more flights to Europe.

theaviator380

Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:05 am

Quoting BLRAviation (Reply 7):

Fantastic...big brother SQ's help will be imp.

ap305

Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:05 pm

I will probably fly them once to DEL just for the sake of it but so far based on what I have seen there appears to be no compelling reason to take my business away from 9W...
Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all my life. And it stands up before anything else- Ayrton Senna

Nimish
Topic Author

Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:11 pm

From Cabin and meal pictures from the inaugural flight

About 9 other pictures on the linked article.

We should be seeing other blog posts soon, will link to those as soon as I come across any. With this lot of pictures, the seating and the colors seem really comforting and premium.
Incredible India!

dtw2hyd

Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:18 pm

Congratulations Vistara.

I see they changed their FA uniforms, sheen is gone, there is a pattern, looks far better than the original design.
All posts are just opinions.

ap305

Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:23 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 10):
From Cabin and meal pictures from the inaugural flight

Perhaps I spoke too soon... the food looks very tempting  
Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all my life. And it stands up before anything else- Ayrton Senna

BLRAviation

Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:36 pm

Quoting ap305 (Reply 12):
Perhaps I spoke too soon... the food looks very tempting

As per Vedant, the quiche was quite rich with lots of cheese and very filling. He was hungry at the start of the flight, but was quite full at the end of it. Taj-SATS will be the caterer and UK will definitely want to show off the other Tata - Singapore joint venture too.

ap305

Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:22 pm

Quoting BLRAviation (Reply 13):

As per Vedant, the quiche was quite rich with lots of cheese and very filling. He was hungry at the start of the flight, but was quite full at the end of it. Taj-SATS will be the caterer and UK will definitely want to show off the other Tata - Singapore joint venture too.

Thanks... Food can be a big difference maker vs the other carriers...

SIA747Megatop

Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:37 pm

I've been using 9W for all my BOM-DEL flights and the experience has been subpar in the last couple of years and deteriorating with tired, worn out interiors and mediocre food offerings. I'll gladly switch to UK based on the information and photos above (thanks for the links!) fare permitting. I'm willing to pay a slight premium for the extra legroom and better service.* I wonder how much extra they can get away with.

There was a lengthy interview/documentary with the CEO about the airline's market positioning and plans for the future. He noted that in the current environment, the total fare on the domestic LCCs is not very different from the full service operators and sometimes even more expensive. He said (I paraphrase) that the existing model is not sustainable and predicts that as the market matures, the positioning of the existing players will become more apparent.

*I sent Vistara an email asking about potential benefits for SQ PPS Club & KrisFlyer customers and they replied saying it's on the way.
I found the edit signature button

dtw2hyd

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:24 pm

Quoting BLRAviation (Reply 13):

AI-SATS Ground Handling
Taj-SATS Catering
AIESL - Line Maintenance

How is it different than AI with same vendors? Why would Taj-SATS food be less edible on other airlines.

Quoting SIA747Megatop (Reply 15):
He said (I paraphrase) that the existing model is not sustainable and predicts that as the market matures, the positioning of the existing players will become more apparent.

I think every new entrant says this including AirAsia India, quickly to realize it is the system they have to live within and cannot change.

BLRAviation

Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:04 am

Quoting dtw2hyd (Reply 16):
How is it different than AI with same vendors? Why would Taj-SATS food be less edible on other airlines.

Ultimately it is a function of how much an airline is willing to pay for a meal. After that how the crew treats the meal and heats it.

On a recent BOM-SIN flight I had a fantastic J class meal catered by Taj-SATS. The return SIN-BLR flight saw the crew over-cooking the SATS meal and ruining it.

And just FYI, Taj-SATS flight kitchen won NH's best flight kitchen award, something that parent SATS has not yet earned.

and the experience has been subpar in the last couple of years and deteriorating with tired, worn out interiors and mediocre food offerings.

I think Vedant's assessment matches yours. On the BLR-DEL flight that morning before UK890, he told me he saw the food tray of the neighbouring passenger and was so turned off that he refused the food and went to sleep.

FlyboyOz

Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:04 am

http://i0.wp.com/www.bangaloreaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Vistara_Cabin_Comparisons.jpg

More detail about inflight service
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

777way

Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:25 am

Uniform is same as it was, only a gold border at neckline has replaced the turquoise one. Surprised by lack of global interest in this SQ venture.

Quoting dtw2hyd (Reply 11):

stylo777

Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:36 am

Quoting BLRAviation (Reply 7):
They are waiting for the Government to relax or remove the 5/20 rule.

forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is this 5/20 rule?

777way

Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:49 am

Minimum 20 aircraft fleet and 5 years domestic flying.

atal17

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:20 am

Quoting stylo777 (Reply 20):

It's an antiquated rule, which states that new carriers operating in India must have a minimum of 5 years of experience in the domestic sector and 20 active aircraft before beginning international operations.

dtw2hyd

Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:22 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 19):
Uniform is same as it was, only a gold border at neckline has replaced the turquoise one. Surprised by lack of global interest in this SQ venture.

I think these pictures show the difference. None of the inaugural flight pictures are clear enough.

There is a pattern. Different neckline color. There is a belt. Sheen is gone. All in all it doesn't scream "Phuket" anymore. Probably they took input for recruits.

It appears Ground staff(girl in skirt) now just have coat in Vistara color scheme.

Launch

Cabin Reveal
http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/2014/12/b70eaeb8-5a40-4e92-a4e7-e94a83eaf0abWallpaper2.JPG

Quoting atal17 (Reply 22):
It's an antiquated rule, which states that new carriers operating in India must have a minimum of 5 years of experience in the domestic sector and 20 active aircraft before beginning international operations.

It is an antiquated rule but appropriate for Indian businesses. Otherwise they will operate Middle East/South East Asia service with one plane, without plan B. Imagine 189 pax stranded in Dubai/Singapore and airline without relief plane/crew or money to accommodate/ rebook them.

777way

Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:53 pm

I see some print pattern on the sheen version too, a longer shirt like about knee length would have looked smarter.

ytz

Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:19 pm

Quoting dtw2hyd (Reply 23):
It is an antiquated rule but appropriate for Indian businesses. Otherwise they will operate Middle East/South East Asia service with one plane, without plan B. Imagine 189 pax stranded in Dubai/Singapore and airline without relief plane/crew or money to accommodate/ rebook them.

Nobody is saying that Indian authorities have to allow any carrier to operate international flights. There's quite a bit of room between wide open service and requiring 5 years of service.

Personally, I think your justification above is paternalistic. By the reasoning shown here, government should suspend rights to fly abroad when airlines are in financial difficulty, lest passengers be stranded. Should we expect AI and 9W to have their rights to foreign flights suspended any time soon?

The law is anti-competitive. There's no justification for it. Concerns such as safety or the the risk of insolvency stranding passengers should be addressed with more specific regulations or policies (for example, require new carriers to post bonds for international service rights to cover possible stranded pax).

ytz

Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:21 pm

Happy to see this launch. Hopefully Vistara expands rapidly with such competent backing.

Only issue I have is that designator. Couldn't they do better than "UK"?

Nimish
Topic Author

Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:11 pm

Quoting dtw2hyd (Reply 23):

Sounds like a routine thing even for airlines with more than the 5/20 ruling (Kingfisher comes to mind). And why do we then allow foreign airlines with a tiny fleet to launch India ops - surely those pax are equally liable to be "affected" by this "fall-down-and-suddenly-die" disease you talk about?

Back to the topic at hand, here are 2 detailed reviews of the inaugural flight

http://www.bangaloreaviation.com/201...economy-a320-new-delhi-mumbai.html

http://livefromalounge.boardingarea....k-890-delhimumbai-vistara-economy/
Incredible India!

BestWestern

Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:21 pm

Is it only me who thinks that this aircraft is totally premium heavy. All the experience of other airlines points to India domestic being a premium light market.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

dtw2hyd

Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:48 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 24):
I see some print pattern on the sheen version too, a longer shirt like about knee length would have looked smarter.

You definitely have an sharp eye. I thought knee length is gone years back.

Quoting YTZ (Reply 25):

A CAA cannot control finances of an airline, it can only audit financial status and take periphery actions like restrictions on flights/slots or suspend/revoke AOP.

And how many pax AI/9W left abroad? AI has at least 11 spare WBs and 9W has at least 14 spare WBs. There is no shortage of WB aircraft.

Quoting Nimish (Reply 27):
Sounds like a routine thing even for airlines with more than the 5/20 ruling (Kingfisher comes to mind). And why do we then allow foreign airlines with a tiny fleet to launch India ops - surely those pax are equally liable to be "affected" by this "fall-down-and-suddenly-die" disease you talk about?

You have to look at history. What started ICAO safety reviews and lead to FAA downgrade. As much as every one want to believe it is AI and 9W, actual reason is Indian business jets flying abroad without minimum safety requirements.

Most of BizJet owners are well connected, GoI let it slip and paid the price.

On your second point, What happened when Dynamic Airways with two clunker 757 tried to run Hajj ops for Air India. Air India and GoI got earful from Saudi Arabia and that will be the last time AI will wet lease from tiny carriers from west.

Moral of the story, you keep your house in order or someone else will force it on you.

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 28):
Is it only me who thinks that this aircraft is totally premium heavy. All the experience of other airlines points to India domestic being a premium light market.

Indians want, BOM T2, A380, QR seat width, AI 77L Y seat recline, EK's ICE, complimentary Taj-SATS food, complimentary French Wine, King Fisher FAs "get this" at AirAsia fare.

[Edited 2015-01-11 08:49:09]

JOYA380B747

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:38 am

Are none of the A320s going to have IFE of any sort?
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

BestWestern

Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:11 am

I read a flight review for a flight on day two - and to be honest - it sounded like yet another airline with crap food, poor customer service, and low loads.

The glitz and free ice cream from day one were gone, and breakfast was soggy chicken nuggets and omelet.

http://vishal1mehra.com/2015/01/11/r...-a320-new-delhi-to-mumbai-economy/

Quoting dtw2hyd (Reply 29):
Indians want, BOM T2, A380, QR seat width, AI 77L Y seat recline, EK's ICE, complimentary Taj-SATS food, complimentary French Wine, King Fisher FAs "get this" at AirAsia fare.

And it sounds like these guys arent delivering that... the author above stated he would fly them again if...

"If priced & scheduled right" - i.e a 'premium' airline not worth a premium fare.

777way

Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:02 am

Maybe its been set up as part of a plan to eventually just takeover Air India.

As the author of the TR pointed out using reputed brands in catering is so important, apart from the jam issue, despite SQ involvement, they have done some other disappointing things like their original uniforms then the quality of their original website and the messed compressed jpg style image of their aircraft in there.

ytz

Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:11 pm

A CAA cannot control finances of an airline, it can only audit financial status and take periphery actions like restrictions on flights/slots or suspend/revoke AOP.And how many pax AI/9W left abroad? AI has at least 11 spare WBs and 9W has at least 14 spare WBs. There is no shortage of WB aircraft.

The number of WBs is irrelevant if the airline suddenly goes bankrupt and can't pay for the fuel and fees to operate the aircraft.

Your original contention was about stranded passengers. Surely, you realize that there's more to flying out stranded pax than a spare aircraft.

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 28):

I would suggest there's enough of a market for Y+ in India to make this work. The fare that UK is charging though, is another matter altogether. Y+ at 20% more is workable. Maybe even 40-50%. Y+ at 100% premium isn't.

It's a good thing there are some consumers left in the world who don't take poor service and worse value lying down.

And I would figure the longer the distances, the sharper the complaints. I don't have any issues flying in a 16.5" wide seat with 30" pitch for an hour (or even two). It's another matter to do 14 hours in that (or the very close, 17" wide seat with 31" pitch).

Your jibe aside, the Indian market is huge, so you'll find a wide breadth of passengers across the spectrum demanding lots of different services. Vistara is smart to target the entire spectrum. I think they've miscalibrated their Premium economy pricing though.

dtw2hyd

Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:49 pm

Quoting ytz (Reply 33):
Your original contention was about stranded passengers.

In the context of running an airline with one aircraft.

Quoting ytz (Reply 33):
Surely, you realize that there's more to flying out stranded pax than a spare aircraft.

Sure you need other things, but what would you do if your plane cannot be fixed. Say you sold DXB-India ticket for INR 6000. With that kind of whopping revenue, would you be able to accommodate 189 passengers in Dubai,

Quoting ytz (Reply 33):
It's a good thing there are some consumers left in the world who don't take poor service and worse value lying down.

And here we are content with pretzels, soda and Biscoff biscuits. There is nothing wrong in demanding better service, can an airline provide that kind of service without sinking itself.

Quoting ytz (Reply 33):
Vistara is smart to target the entire spectrum.

Vistara's success depends on corporate accounts, which it will win anyway, or on how quickly it can remove Y+.

I am still worried about its MX program. It appears to have signed up for AIESL line mx and Airbus FHS-TSP. In India, both will cost an arm and a leg.

As long as it adapts to market conditions quickly, it will be a OK. From the uniforms episode, it appears they are eager to learn from their mistakes.

Kashmon

Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:26 pm

Vistara is not going to win corporate accounts if it only has one hub and hardly any frequencies...

Businessmen choose indigo- national network and multiple flights

Until Vistara starts high frequency services and more than one hub ( South India has more airports than the north and more passengers in general yet no hub there?!- not to mention Bangalore now has more occupied and total office space than Mumbai)

Vistara will not just gain corporate accounts easily.

Vistara should have also launched with wifi on planes- that would have been the best marketing out there...

vishal1mehra

Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:38 pm

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 31):

I read a flight review for a flight on day two - and to be honest - it sounded like yet another airline with crap food, poor customer service, and low loads.

The glitz and free ice cream from day one were gone, and breakfast was soggy chicken nuggets and omelet.

http://vishal1mehra.com/2015/01/11/r...-a320-new-delhi-to-mumbai-economy/

And it sounds like these guys arent delivering that... the author above stated he would fly them again if...

"If priced & scheduled right" - i.e a 'premium' airline not worth a premium fare.

That was my review. I will be posting about my premium economy experience on the return leg soon.

vishal1mehra

Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:58 pm

Seat coat hook is across the classes, I have just published my Premium Economy thoughts also on the blog. Will post it here soon.

Thanks

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 18):

BestWestern

Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:22 am

Thanks for the reviews - as expected - just another airline experience.

Undercooked pizza isn't very impressive.

They seriously need to review their cabin layouts - and drastically reduce their business class cabin.

BLRAviation

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:43 am

*I sent Vistara an email asking about potential benefits for SQ PPS Club & KrisFlyer customers and they replied saying it's on the way.

I am rather surprised that SQ did not start UK as a partner from day one.

I think since the inaugural flight was a lunch time flight the meal service was more elaborate. I think Vishal's flight was a morning flight and I assume the meal would be breakfast oriented.

His return trip report in Y+ is here. http://vishal1mehra.com/2015/01/14/r...um-economy-worth-it-bom-del-uk996/

abrelosojos

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:29 am

Hi all,

My report on the inaugural flight. Nothing stellar, but good competition to wake up 9W.

Saludos,
Alex

Vistara UK 890: JAN/15: DEL-BOM: Y+: Inaugural (by abrelosojos Jan 13 2015 in Trip Reports)
Live, and let live.

dtw2hyd

Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:59 pm

Air Vistara received "Aviation Game Changer" award. Congratulations.

http://twitter.com/Bhaktiarora/status/554670941083418624/photo/1

MaverickM11

Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:35 pm

Finally a premium carrier that Indians have been clamoring to not pay any premium for...  
Quoting dtw2hyd (Reply 41):
Air Vistara received "Aviation Game Changer" award. Congratulations.

And the Kingfisher Aviation Game Changer award goes to....
I don't take responsibility at all

BestWestern

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:53 pm

An award on day two. Wow. Triumph of PR over reality.

The kingfisher service in 2006/7 was simply superb. Nothing has ever beaten this service since.

Fantastic food and drink, well kitted aircraft and stunningly beautiful cabin crew. A little bit of heaven existed in Asia for a while.

ytz

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm

Quoting dtw2hyd (Reply 34):
In the context of running an airline with one aircraft.
Sure you need other things, but what would you do if your plane cannot be fixed. Say you sold DXB-India ticket for INR 6000. With that kind of whopping revenue, would you be able to accommodate 189 passengers in Dubai,

Again. Require a bond posting (or retention of insurance) that would cover return flights from the destination for a full load of passengers. Would you be worried, if an airline with one aircraft started international service and posted a bond (or retained business insurance) that would cover up to 1 crore of passenger expenses resulting from bankruptcy?

That's a lot more effective than just saying, "No. Wait 5 years." The rule is particularly bizarre when you consider there's no protection for travelers inside the country. So the Indian government only cares about travelers stranded abroad and not about travelers stranded domestically? That seems rather unjust.

can an airline provide that kind of service without sinking itself.

Their profits these days show they can.

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 43):
Fantastic food and drink, well kitted aircraft and stunningly beautiful cabin crew. A little bit of heaven existed in Asia for a while.

Alas, all good things come to an end. Too bad, they were managed so poorly.

BestWestern

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:25 am

The kingfisher product offering on kingfisher had nothing In common with the ticket price for the segment. It was obvious what was going to happen here.

The only airline out there currently with an economy service standard anywhere approaching that of Kingfisher is Garuda Indonesia. Their excellent business class still pales into comparison to Kingfisher.

BLRAviation

Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:05 am

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 45):
The kingfisher product offering on kingfisher had nothing In common with the ticket price for the segment. It was obvious what was going to happen here.

Actually many people tend to forget that IT began as an all-economy albeit full service airline. Its loads were very good, and it was a compelling value proposition.

Then............. Dr. VJM decided to hire ex-9W managers who knew nothing better than ME2!!!!!!!

The day I saw the word 'First' painted on the side of one of the KFA Airbus, I told me wife, this airline is going to fail.

BestWestern

Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:46 am

I remember the all Eco airline and fantastic service and the obscene service in J when it was also launched.

VJ sure knew how to burn cash. He also killed the before its time Air Deccan

dtw2hyd

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm

Quoting ytz (Reply 44):
Again. Require a bond posting (or retention of insurance) that would cover return flights from the destination for a full load of passengers. Would you be worried, if an airline with one aircraft started international service and posted a bond (or retained business insurance) that would cover up to 1 crore of passenger expenses resulting from bankruptcy?

Like I posted upthread, regulators cannot manage finances of an airline. Also money in an Indian bank is not going to help stranded pax in Dubai.

Its not that DGCA can give its credit card to hotel/airline to help pax.

JOYA380B747

Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:00 pm

Hello, if someone can help me urgently, I need to know which are the emergency exit rows of Vistara A320s. Have to book seats but their seat map is all uniformly placed.

Thanks.
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.