HNLPointShoot
Topic Author

U.S. Seeking Preclearance Facility At NRT?

Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:49 am

I've heard recently that USDOT and CBP are currently in discussions with NAA and the Japanese government to establish a customs preclearance facility at NRT. Is there any substance to that?

COSPN

RE: U.S. Seeking Preclearance Facility At NRT?

Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:11 am

Would have to be requested by the government of Japan . I would think the costs of relocation and housing 100 or so CBT officers from Guam to Japan would be prohibitive. But great news for Hawaii and Guam if it is true

Carpethead

Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:12 am

Not sure who would flip the bill on all the necessary air-side security and facilities modifications necessary at both Terminal 1 and 2.
The new LCC terminal is also being built; although there are no LCCs flying to GUM/SPN at the moment from Japan, but 737/A320s are definitely within range.

jsnww81

Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:57 pm

This is a solution looking for a problem. If I were JL, NH, UA, DL, or AA, I'd be getting ready to fight this. Etihad's on-time performance for US-bound flights has been in ruins since the CBP facility opened at AUH and flights are regularly held at the gate to accommodate large numbers of connecting pax held up in US immigration.

This isn't Abu Dhabi with three or four daily flights to the US. The volume of US-bound flights from Narita is high enough that this would require expensive reconfiguration of concourses, relocation of lounge areas, and rebuilding of gate areas. Etihad's J and F passengers are told to clear CBP two hours prior to flight time and then have no lounge access on the other side, which has gone over like a ton of bricks. Can't imagine JAL or ANA asking their premium passengers to do something like that.

NRT T1 was very expensively reconstructed a decade ago, and I doubt the NAA is eager to do it again, even if it's just for Hawaii and Guam flights.

HeeseokKoo

Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:40 pm

One problem would be that many US flights are in the late afternoon, and DL's connection time from Asia (as well as for NH and JL) might be tight.

Regardless of that, it would help NRT competing with HND, even after daytime slots are opened to US flights.

COSPN

Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:03 pm

I dont see any advantage for Japan (who would have to pay for it per US law) it works for Canada because it opens up airports like LGA, DCA , and ,any small places like CMH,IND,BNA, that would have a hard time staffing CPT for only 100 or so passengers a day each. Also Canadians dont require a VISA or Visa Waiver form so they process fast

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos