MSPNWA

RE: UA Demise At CMH

Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:25 am

Quoting FlyHossD (Reply 47):
Will you change your position when more used 73Gs arrive at UAL?

Uh, no, because it doesn't prove anything about the type of used airplanes they are wishing most to acquire. It's clear that airlines would rather be acquiring the 150-180 seat range, but there's simply none out there. So you take what you can get if the price is right (e.g. very low).

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 48):

Showing a daily M90 in the summer.
not a single 50 seater.

We're talking now, not in the future when every airline will bump up its capacity. Plus thanks to DL's inconvenient close-in schedule adjustments, we have no idea exactly what they will run this summer anyway.

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 48):
er I'd love to see any data that supports that at all.......

It's on this website. Go search for the operating cost threads that LAXintl has posted over the years.

deltal1011man

Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:29 am

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 50):

We're talking now, not in the future when every airline will bump up its capacity. Plus thanks to DL's inconvenient close-in schedule adjustments, we have no idea exactly what they will run this summer anyway.

er......pretty sure I said summer mainline..........

FlyHossD

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:46 pm

Quoting FlyHossD (Reply 47):
Will you change your position when more used 73Gs arrive at UAL?
Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 50):
Uh, no, because it doesn't prove anything about the type of used airplanes they are wishing most to acquire.

Actually, the question was about what aircraft that they were looking for - you claim that they're not looking for smaller mainline aircraft, but I suspect that UA has finally noticed their "100 seat gap."

So when UA acquires 10+ 73Gs and/or A319s - will you admit that they must have been looking for that size after all?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

CALMSP

Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:22 pm

internal bulletin just announced another 28 stations goign the direction of CMH.

tommy767

Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:07 pm

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 53):

Yeesh. Kudos to America's heavily outsourced & incredibly shrinking airline.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

Tigerguy

Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:30 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 54):
Yeesh. Kudos to America's heavily outsourced & incredibly shrinking airline.

Oh, lay off 'em. It's a tough world out there. They've gotta make money somehow.   

As time marches on and the mergers settle down a bit, I would be interested to see how the three airlines compare in outsourcing stations and regional vs. mainline service (fully realizing that not all regional aircraft are created equal). I think it would be enlightening to see, if only through this limited data, how airlines might look at one station and arrive at different strategies.
Good night, and keep watching the skis. Uh, skies.

tommy767

Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Quoting Tigerguy (Reply 55):
Oh, lay off 'em. It's a tough world out there. They've gotta make money somehow.

I feel more for the little guys who are loosing their jobs than an airline who's only real method to profitability is has been via cost cutting.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

GSPSPOT

Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:41 pm

Quoting ipodguy7 (Reply 13):
(Re: BNA)...and only drives high-yield pax to Oneworld/Skyteam.

Very good point there!
Great Lakes, great life.

Cubsrule

Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:02 pm

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 57):
Quoting ipodguy7 (Reply 13):
(Re: BNA)...and only drives high-yield pax to Oneworld/Skyteam.

Very good point there!

CMH and BNA are probably similar in this way. In Nashville, UA is an option schedule-wise on maybe half of my trips. Other than if traveling to IAH or IAD (their only two unique airports from here), what incentive do I have to choose UA?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

lat41

Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:36 am

You can add Providence to the cities mentioned above. The carrier is letting its operation wither with fewer ill timed flights on smaller aircraft even as UA is pummelled by competition up north at BOS. A few more flights at a sensible premium fare for Southern New England would seem like a good idea but United has put PVD in the same boat as many other medium cities, that is to say shriveling up and by no coincidence on the list of those stations to be outsourced.

ipodguy7

Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:16 am

Quoting lat41 (Reply 59):
PVD in the same boat as many other medium cities, that is to say shriveling up and by no coincidence on the list of those stations to be outsourced.

The entire state of Rhode Island has 1,055,173 people, a good million or two less than CMH/BNA/STL/Other cities discussed here. Not to discount your point of low UA service, but just not a "medium-sized" city.
Columbus Metro 1.967m
Nashville Metro 1.758m
St. Louis Metro 2.810m

[Edited 2015-01-12 22:19:15]
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AS/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ/JL

lat41

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:22 am

Those familiar with Southern New England geography will know that the Southeastern MA is at the door step of PVD and is included in the marketing area along with Southeastern most CT. Indeed the Providence metro area is measured to include all the way out to Fall River and New Bedford MA by the very same metrics you use. (reply 60)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos