GentFromAlaska

RE: OAG Changes 1/16/2015:3M/AS/DL/NK/F9/UA

Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:36 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 49):
With the frenetic nature of the F9 schedule I don't get the impression they do things solely on the basis of a lengthy analysis of historical performance.

I wholeheartedly concur. I for one get the impression they make some of this stuff up as they go. I suppose in one aspect they are trail blazing the ULCC concept.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:25 pm

Quoting enilria (Thread starter):
DL MEM-LAX MAY 1.0>0.7
DL MEM-MCO MAR 1.0>0.7

How low can they go? I am just happy not to see a 0.0 next to those!

Quoting ScottB (Reply 8):
I forgot they were even flying this
*F9 PHX-SLC MAR 0.9>0.2 APR 0.9>0 MAY 1.0>0 JUN 1.0>0 JUL 1.0>0

No doubt the passengers did, too.

seemed like an incredibly challenging route, and fares are already low. Lets see how Chicago-SLC does for them

enilria
Topic Author

Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:48 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 50):
I wholeheartedly concur. I for one get the impression they make some of this stuff up as they go. I suppose in one aspect they are trail blazing the ULCC concept.

In Europe it also seems to be the way that the ULCCs throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and then see what falls off. It just makes it so tough on the consumer left holding the bag with a ticket refund and guaranteed hotel.

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 51):
DL MEM-MCO MAR 1.0>0.7

How low can they go? I am just happy not to see a 0.0 next to those!

How can MEM-MCO not be daily in March with $45 oil??? It defies explanation.

Lets see how Chicago-SLC does for them

Not well I suspect.

FlyPNS1

Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:01 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 52):

WN will fly MEM-MCO 2x daily in March, that probably covers a lot of the demand.

rtalk25

Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:52 pm

We don't really know that it has. With the frenetic nature of the F9 schedule I don't get the impression they do things solely on the basis of a lengthy analysis of historical performance.

I remember seeing reasonable fares, last summer, at last minute on TTN-CLT. I didn't get the impression that it outperformed so many other TTN short-haul routes based on the last minute fares, but the ugprade of 4x weekly to daily at TTN seems reasonable. It's certainly attractive for leisure pax when EWR-CLT and PHL-CLT fares are skyrocket high, to go for the daytime TTN-CLT flight.

PHL-CLT low fares will throw off the balance especially with US potentially fare matching. Let's see. I don't see PHL-CLT as more than seasonal anyway and I can't say that this is resulting in TTN downsizing altogether. I think F9 is pleased with TTN-Florida. Although one market, TPA, has a better F9 schedule (daily) out of PHL currently over TTN (almost daily but not quite daily) but that might have been due to the way F9 scheduling. Their change in model to daily in most point to point happened after the TTN schedule was already published.

[Edited 2015-01-13 08:53:35]

adamh8297

Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:54 pm

*NK BOS-CLE MAY 0>1.0 JUN 0>1.0 JUL 0>1.0 AUG 0>1.0 SEP 0>1.0

BOS-CLE is a through flight to FLL in both directions as well.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

tommy767

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:23 pm

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 43):

DL can't maintain 4x daily to JFK even with massive TATL connections and it is pretty heavily committed to an LGA/JFK strategy in NYC. I doubt EWR is forthcoming. I'd guess ORD would come before EWR.

Can't maintain? I think DL is doing just fine on JFK-SEA.

AS maintains the route just fine out EWR. While I think it's an off chance they would start EWR, I think it's very odd (and quite frankly, dumb) UA is going less than daily on SEA-EWR. That means people will move to AS on the route since scheduling is likely not good enough.

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 46):

CR7's aren't that bad. Not a mainline but not bad.

On a short route -- OK. Unless you are in F, it totally sucks on a flight nearly 3 hours long.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

PlanesNTrains

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:29 pm

I agree TUS is not great in the Summer

It's never been a destination with many flights from SEA/PDX, particularly in the summer. I've checked flights a number of times over the years and there have rarely been many options on AS.

I am very very confident that they needed more planes to fight DL in the Summer and PDX was next to fund it

Quite possible. Just wondering if you were going off of something more than that feeling?

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 50):
I for one get the impression they make some of this stuff up as they go.

I bet they do, to a degree. It's probably the nature of the business model.

It just makes it so tough on the consumer left holding the bag with a ticket refund and guaranteed hotel.

Absolutely. Not to mention employees (contractor or otherwise) at outstations.

Not well I suspect.

At least there is an easy one-stop option over DEN if it doesn't work out.

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 53):
WN will fly MEM-MCO 2x daily in March, that probably covers a lot of the demand.

I'd imagine so.

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 56):
On a short route -- OK. Unless you are in F, it totally sucks on a flight nearly 3 hours long.

Well, it was fine for me the times I've done it but I respect that everyone is different. Horizon had great service on their flights with them and I've always enjoyed 2-2 seating and would take them over a 737 when given the choice.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

mariner

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Since F9 is expanding at PHL and contracting at TTN I guess they have a new survey.

Perhaps you didn't understand what I wrote. Nothing I said suggested that some routes don't do better than others.  

mariner
aeternum nauta

enilria
Topic Author

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:47 pm

Quoting rtalk25 (Reply 54):
I didn't get the impression that it outperformed so many other TTN short-haul routes based on the last minute fares, but the ugprade of 4x weekly to daily at TTN seems reasonable.

I think F9 is moving toward daily service on domestic routes like NK does. Also, it may be that when they pulled the schedule apart at TTN the complicated rotation needed for 3 or 4 per week didn't work any more.

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 57):
I am very very confident that they needed more planes to fight DL in the Summer and PDX was next to fund it

Quite possible. Just wondering if you were going off of something more than that feeling?

Yes, it is more than a feeling.  
Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 57):

Not well I suspect.

At least there is an easy one-stop option over DEN if it doesn't work out.

That is much better for customers.

rtalk25

Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:20 am

It should perform better. So far the carriers haven't been too retaliatory to Frontier (or Spirit) in Chicago with the main domestic carrier Southwest operating in MDW, and United the largest carrier at ORD the least likely to start fare matching.

I was underwhelmed by sitting in a RJ for 3 hours to SLC even on DL's F class (which was once the same fare as coach last minute). A mini bottled Dasani bottle waiting at the seat doesn't really do much.

I tried and didn't like the MDW experience being based in Chicago (long security lines at MDW). For leisure pax, pax from the east connecting through MDW get better boarding than MDW based pax, since their 24 check in clock starts earlier. Not fun getting a middle just because of that or having to spend for Early Bird Check In just to get a better boarding.

I think Frontier can do well in Chicago/ORD. I'd like to see ORD-PIT. Likely AA, WN and UA won't fare match since they all need those Chicago seats for connecting flights, and F9 can sell fares between $60-75 and fill planes well on O&D.

[Edited 2015-01-13 18:28:03]

threeifbyair

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:39 am

Can't maintain? I think DL is doing just fine on JFK-SEA.

DL was running 4x daily and it was supposed to be all BE 752s. Then DL ran short of BE 752s and had to use 738s instead. Now it is 3x for the winter, with the 4th frequency restarting sometime in April/May. Not weak, certainly, but given UA's weakness in the market, I'd think DL would be able to capitalize.

B6 is also apparently struggling on SEA-JFK - 1x daily on a redeye is pretty weak.

AA isn't really trying to compete for SEA-JFK local traffic. Only 1x daily timed for TATL connections which AA doesn't seem to price very aggressively. I've often seen SEA-DFW-LGA substantially cheaper than the nonstops.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:26 am

Personally i am shocked that AA survives in the JFK-SEA market but i guess they load it with profitable connections, and gives their business travelers a nice daytime flight. Timing is good for both business travelers and European connections on both sides. Also you can buy seats on Alaskaair.com for AAs flight I'm sure that helps. No Deltas JFK-SEA is not listed for sale on alaskaair.com

Lets not forget AS runs 2x EWR-SEA and every time i see it loading at EWR looks full, so they look fine

klwright69

Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:37 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 22):

UA EWR-SEA APR 1.7>0.9
I guess it was an error. It's back.
Quoting COEWRNJ (Reply 5):
UA EWR-SEA APR 1.7>0.9
I guess it was an error. It's back.

Yeah I was going to say -- very odd. Might be the cue for DL to start SEA-EWR.

The error he is mentioning is that IAD/ORD-HSV is not going away. This was an error from the last thread that many were taking as fact.

It should be noted that the EWR-SEA is only for that month only. People seem to overlook the part where the changes are only limited to certain months.

jetblastdubai

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:25 pm

I think it's very odd (and quite frankly, dumb) UA is going less than daily on SEA-EWR

UAL.com is still showing a daily red-eye 4/1-4/6 and then 2x daily from the 7th thru the end of the month.

enilria
Topic Author

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:12 pm

Quoting rtalk25 (Reply 60):

It should perform better. So far the carriers haven't been too retaliatory to Frontier (or Spirit) in Chicago with the main domestic carrier Southwest operating in MDW, and United the largest carrier at ORD the least likely to start fare matching.

I have doubts. SLC is not a market that stimulates much. A lot of LCCs have found that except maybe Morris Air. I don't think it was their next best option.

Quoting klwright69 (Reply 63):
This was an error from the last thread that many were taking as fact.

Well it's a fact that the boneheads filing the schedule deleted it from OAG which I would call a pretty embarrassing screw up, but the fact it was reversed in a week tells me it was an error and not intentional.

I think there are cases where an airline deletes something and there is an outcry from the city, or the airport, or corporate clients and they reverse themselves quickly. I also think it is VERY common in subsidized markets (not EAS routes, but stuff like NAS/MZT/EGE) to pull the service when whoever is paying the bill balks at paying for another year and you then have a game of chicken that results in the flight being pulled and summarily added back shortly afterward.

Quoting klwright69 (Reply 63):
People seem to overlook the part where the changes are only limited to certain months.

Very true, although UA commonly pulls the closest month or two and then rolls it out to infinity in the following weeks because there are two scheduling groups at UA that maintain the "current schedule" and the "long term or core schedule" separately.

rtalk25

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:32 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 65):
SLC is not a market that stimulates much.

I think SLC stimulation comes more from the west, where it's a 2 hour flight and closer than DEN for recreational activities like skiing. However, Chicago is a large market, so it has that exception. Plus F9 is invested in Chicago with a crew base.

On ORD-SLC, I noticed some potential fare matching, like Delta having a $178 r/t on Feb. 9-Feb.12 as well as United. So maybe F9 won't enjoy exclusivity of selling advance low fares.

But last minute fares are drastically higher on UA/DL that Chicago bound/originating leisure pax might buy tickets on F9. And, UA and DL are still more regional jet heavy hub connecting pax on this route than mainline, limiting the availability of low fare seats likely.

e.g. next Monday ORD-SLC one-way on Delta is $511. F9's fare is $142.

[Edited 2015-01-14 10:33:12]

enilria
Topic Author

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:36 pm

Quoting rtalk25 (Reply 66):
Quoting enilria (Reply 65):
SLC is not a market that stimulates much.

I think SLC stimulation comes more from the west, where it's a 2 hour flight and closer than DEN for recreational activities like skiing. However, Chicago is a large market, so it has that exception. Plus F9 is invested in Chicago with a crew base.

Who knows. To me if SLC-PHX doesn't work it bodes very poorly for SLC-ORD which is more of stretch IMHO. Of course, cheap fuel has a bigger effect on a market like SLC-ORD.

mariner

Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:22 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 67):
Who knows. To me if SLC-PHX doesn't work it bodes very poorly for SLC-ORD which is more of stretch IMHO. Of course, cheap fuel has a bigger effect on a market like SLC-ORD.

As the CEO has said said - several times - there are winter routes and summer routes.

CLE-SEA doesn't operate in winter, CLE-PHX does. In summer that reverses.

Frontier's peak season in Arizona is winter. Same-same Mexico (see IAD-CUN above). Much of Mexico and some Florida cuts back in summer.

There are some exceptions and a glance at the Apple forward schedule is instructive. Very hot PUJ sees increased service in summer - but only from certain ports. DEN-PUJ is back this summer, but both Frontier and Southwest drop it from MKE for summer.

mariner
aeternum nauta

HPRamper

Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:05 pm

Quoting rtalk25 (Reply 66):

Maybe, but not all of the west. Depends on things like fare deals and resort packages. Most of the west coast has closer options than the Wasatch Range for skiing. Colorado and Utah both pull more from the Midwest and the neighboring states (Colorado from the East Coast) in my experience.

rtalk25

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:42 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 67):
To me if SLC-PHX doesn't work it bodes very poorly for SLC-ORD which is more of stretch IMHO.

I think Frontier was trying to offer low fares where there wasn't already low fares in the case of SLC-ORD.

Chicago has a huge population and it's a destination, that there are likely pax needing to go between SLC and Chicago, and some wanting lower fares. It's up to the customers to choose Frontier and success lies on that. The route choice has potential in the ULCC model probably more than SLC-PHX where fares weren't that high and there was a lot of mainline choices with high frequency from competitors.

[Edited 2015-01-15 16:11:34]

jfklganyc

Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:20 am

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 61):

DL was running 4x daily and it was supposed to be all BE 752s. Then DL ran short of BE 752s and had to use 738s instead. Now it is 3x for the winter, with the 4th frequency restarting sometime in April/May. Not weak, certainly, but given UA's weakness in the market, I'd think DL would be able to capitalize.

B6 is also apparently struggling on SEA-JFK - 1x daily on a redeye is pretty weak.

AA isn't really trying to compete for SEA-JFK local traffic. Only 1x daily timed for TATL connections which AA doesn't seem to price very aggressively. I've often seen SEA-DFW-LGA substantially cheaper than the nonstops.

You seem to think a lot of people are struggling on this route!

AA has been flying to SEA from JFK for as long as I can remember.

DL used to do it once daily with a tag on to PDX.

B6 flies 2 daily in the summer.

Long story short, SEA is a small/medium sized city off a long fuel thirsty trancon.

It was always a once or twice day city from JFK until DL bumped it up over the last few years.

HPRamper

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:29 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 71):
Long story short, SEA is a small/medium sized city off a long fuel thirsty trancon.

It was always a once or twice day city from JFK until DL bumped it up over the last few years.

Wait, I'm confused as to when Seattle became a small/medium city.

Pretty sure there are other factors at play here, considering the 15th most populous metro in the country is neither small nor medium. Flight length, sure.

enilria
Topic Author

Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:47 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 68):
As the CEO has said said - several times - there are winter routes and summer routes.

...and then there are neither.

Quoting rtalk25 (Reply 70):
I think Frontier was trying to offer low fares where there wasn't already low fares in the case of SLC-ORD.

Except that there is MDW. I just don't feel it working. It smells a lot like NK's struggles in MCI to me. Yes, SLC-DEN has been a long flown market and SLC-CUN (do they still fly that?) seemed good in the past, but I don't think either are very similar to SLC-ORD. Yes, they are a ULCC now and that is different, but again it seems to me to have more in common with NK's foray into MCI. I think the ULCC strategy works best in markets that are huge or where the ULCC has a good amount of brand visibility. I don't think either are the case here and I think F9's brand in SLC has been in reverse for a while. I don't have a good feel for F9's brand in ORD, but I suspect most of their traffic is inbound tourists/VFR and not Chicago residents.

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 71):
Quoting HPRamper (Reply 72):

I guess compared to NYC everywhere else is small.

PlanesNTrains

Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:58 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 72):

Pretty sure there are other factors at play here, considering the 15th most populous metro in the country is neither small nor medium. Flight length, sure.

Perhaps they mean in terms of demand or marketshare?

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

mariner

Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:16 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 73):
...and then there are neither.

Of course. But I thought we were talking about a specific concept.

Quoting enilria (Reply 73):
Except that there is MDW.

That could be interesting, too, based on present rumours. Say what you will about Indigo, it ain't dull.  

mariner
aeternum nauta

lpdal

Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:23 pm

No it doesn't. The "explanation" was that the route was doing poorly and had no demand. If it was a cash cow, it would still be there. MEM, CVG, PIT, STL, CLE, etc etc. are all in the place they are because no one was filling the planes (just because a flight was "full", doesn't mean anything. It may as well be 80% nonrevs taking advantage of the dead route, which is a common occurrence.) not because the airline wanted to piss off the people in those cities.

If there was a goldmine in Cincinnati, or Memphis, Saint Louis, whatever, the airlines would still be there. But there was no gold mine, and Delta was bankrupt when the CVG hub was at it's peak, so they left or reduced service or closed the hub. And most demand in places like CVG, CLE, and MEM seems to be increasingly leaning toward the likes of B6, NK, F9, and G4 because that is what the bulk of the local populations can seem to afford and appreciate.

High fares in Cincinnati, Cleveland, etc from DL and UA, were due to the fact that no one was flying there, so they needed to raise the ticket prices so their ends met. But not even raising the ticket prices could retain some routes, so they had to be cut.

There's no rocket science behind these route cut decisions or hub closures. If it isn't making money, it's going to be cut. Simple as that.

No smart business is going to run away from a potential gold mine. Cincinnati, Memphis, whatever, these were not goldmines, so they ran way, quite literally.

-LPDAL

[Edited 2015-01-16 10:25:14]

[Edited 2015-01-16 10:25:46]
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

enilria
Topic Author

Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:39 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 75):
That could be interesting, too, based on present rumours. Say what you will about Indigo, it ain't dull.  

I have the following thing to say about Indigo: they made NK from a bit of a mess into a very profitable airline with a focused strategy.

I think F9 has not done a good enough job of copying NK's strategy when it comes to schedule stability. NK has never been so quick to pull the plug. I fear that is going to really sink their reputation below NK's if it continues. The rumored demise of the DEN CSA and/or ramp is also painful for those who survived to this point, but not surprising either. From a jobs point of view I repeat for the 1000th time that it would have been far better for WN to buy them, but water under the bridge. From a consumer point of view, however, it is very good that we have one more airline rather than one less.

mariner

Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:51 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 77):
I think F9 has not done a good enough job of copying NK's strategy when it comes to schedule stability.

I can't even try to act surprised that you would say that, so I won't even bother. Indigo money didn't turn Spirit around - Oaktree provided the original capital for that and then Indigo bought in.

The rumored demise of the DEN CSA and/or ramp is also painful for those who survived to this point, but not surprising either.

Sure, it will be painful for the staff involved. It was painful for the outstation staff when they were outsourced, too. Who said this was going to be easy - or painless?

You - as much as anyone - are aware of Frontier's financial history pre-Indigo. Did anyone really believe that Indigo bought Frontier for what it was - to go on doing the same thing and expect a different result?

From a jobs point of view I repeat for the 1000th time that it would have been far better for WN to buy them, but water under the bridge.

But - they didn't. So why keep saying it?

mariner

[Edited 2015-01-16 11:01:57]
aeternum nauta

enilria
Topic Author

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:04 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 78):
From a jobs point of view I repeat for the 1000th time that it would have been far better for WN to buy them, but water under the bridge.

But - they didn't. So why keep saying it?

Because it is the pilot's cross to bear and I think it should be made clear that is the case.

mariner

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:19 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 79):
Because it is the pilot's cross to bear and I think it should be made clear that is the case.

That old chestnut?

Not to fight old battles again, but I pointed out here - very clearly - at the time why the Southwest bid wouldn't work form the day it was announced and got dumped on from a massive height from just about all of a.net.

I recall that you told me I know nothing about accounting.  

mariner
aeternum nauta

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos