TYCOON
Topic Author

ME3s And California

Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:08 pm

I was flying on QR over the weekend and was surprised that they do not serve any city on the US West Coast... not even LA. But they do have a fairly developed US network, including Philadelphia, Dallas and Miami (OneWorld hubs).
I thought it a bit odd and was under the impression that they were flying to LA, as Etihad and Emirates do.
Have they ever served LA or any West Coast city? Is a West Coast destination in the planning?

as739x

RE: ME3s And California

Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:24 pm

In my opinion, I think its a matter of time for DOH-LAX. It's a OneWorld hub and seems logical for Qatar.

For how much I want them here at SFO, I don't see it anytime soon. Even thought EK is doing very well and Etihad (pending 28 hr delays getting here)and rarely ontime seems to be doing alright.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

a380787

Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:24 pm

maybe QR isn't a big fan of ULH routes. Their 4 longest routes (IIRC) are DFW, MIA, MEL and GRU (in that order, all 4 being oneworld hubs coincidentally), and they don't have a single 8000+mi route despite having 77L's in their fleet.

EY, even with a smaller network, flies to more global cities such as LAX SFO YYZ SYD.

parapente

Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:24 pm

ME3s And California

Am not from California (or anywhere near)!.But where are the key ME3 final destinations?
Obviously all Middle East countries that's a given.
I guess all Indian subcontinent major cities?
Anywhere else? (East Africa?)
Beyond that I imagine you go 'the other way round'.

Vladex

Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:28 pm

They will difinitely do it with A350 or I think they should , they have 80 of them and it will be a perfect aircraft for that ULH route.

continental004

Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:59 pm

It would be a dream of mine to see QR at LAX.

AABB777

Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:51 pm

The U.S. West coast is a gaping hole in the QR network. I have no doubt LAX will join their network eventually. AA will offer a good amount of feed to QR at LAX, but nothing like it does in DFW, ORD, or MIA.

LAXdude1023

Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:51 pm

I think its only a matter of time before QR appears at LAX. Its a OneWorld hub and a large market.

Quoting a380787 (Reply 2):
maybe QR isn't a big fan of ULH routes. Their 4 longest routes (IIRC) are DFW, MIA, MEL and GRU (in that order, all 4 being oneworld hubs coincidentally), and they don't have a single 8000+mi route despite having 77L's in their fleet.

You forgot IAH and IAH-DOH is over 8,000 miles. DFW-DOH is between 7,900 and 8,000 miles. LAX-DOH is less than 300 miles longer than IAH-DOH.

I dont think its about distance, but I also cant figure out what is keeping them out of LAX right now. Granted the fares out of LA and San Francisco on the ME3 carriers are dirt as are most other US destinations, but that doesnt scare any of them away from a market.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

migair54

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:51 pm

I'm sure soon we will see QR in LAX and SFO even SEA and BOS, but if you see the USA gateways they're serving now it's OneWorld with lots of potential for transit for pax, domestic and towards the central America.

It was somehow a safer bet than going PHL over BOS or MIA over ATL.

With the network getting bigger and more banks at DOH we will see slowly additions, and also with the arrival of new machines, specially A350 and B77W.

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 6):
The U.S. West coast is a gaping hole in the QR network.

With Sydney and NZ.

Quoting a380787 (Reply 2):
maybe QR isn't a big fan of ULH routes.

Why not?? I just think that they saw better ways to use planes, now that the network is good and the rate of getting capable planes for the missions is going to be fast they'll be able to add some new ULH flying.

LAXdude1023

Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:15 pm

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 6):
AA will offer a good amount of feed to QR at LAX, but nothing like it does in DFW, ORD, or MIA.

How much do they really feed at DFW? They dont even codeshare on that flight which is beyond me. Then again, the loads are actually high on that route so they are filling up regardless.

Quoting migair54 (Reply 8):
With Sydney and NZ.

They cant go to SYD. They are only 14x weekly frequencies given to QR in Australia. They use them in PER and MEL. Then there is the curfew at SYD which makes it harder for QR to opperate there.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

MAH4546

Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:23 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 9):
They cant go to SYD. They are only 14x weekly frequencies given to QR in Australia. They use them in PER and MEL. Then there is the curfew at SYD which makes it harder for QR to opperate there.

And in similar fashion it is only allowed 3 weekly frequencies to Canada, which it chooses to use to Montreal instead of Toronto.
a.

B747forever

Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:32 pm

Would love to see some numbers on how EK and EY perform at LAX.
Work Hard, Fly Right

a380787

Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:41 pm

Quoting migair54 (Reply 8):

Why not?? I just think that they saw better ways to use planes, now that the network is good and the rate of getting capable planes for the missions is going to be fast they'll be able to add some new ULH flying.

At some point you have to fly to where your customers want to go, not just to where your partner hubs are.

migair54

Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:14 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 9):

That's why it's a hole, because they don't fly there.
I know they can't yet. The curfew is the second part of the story, now new banks are being developed so in case they get the rights it will be easier to schedule SYD flight, even more PER and MEL if they can.

Quoting a380787 (Reply 12):
At some point you have to fly to where your customers want to go, not just to where your partner hubs are.

Of course, but initially it was easier and safer to get the help of partners, I'm pretty sure with new planes arriving this year we will something interesting soon.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos