Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Rara

RE: DL Flight With 2 Pax

Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:16 pm

Last year I've been virtually alone on the upper deck of an LH A388 PEK-FRA. There was only one other guy in the whole aft section, and two or three people in the front section. Perhaps more in F, no idea. Weird flight. It felt almost eerie to be so alone on a plane. Every once in a while an FA came to check whether I was still alive.  
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

CPDC10-30

Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:28 pm

I had a similar situation on BD flying DUB-LHR. The earlier evening flight was cancelled, and I assume most passengers were rebooked on EI. I was rebooked on the later BD flight, which had a total of six passengers. The strange thing was that it was an A321 instead of the usual A320 on the route. Even more empty seats.

I flew a chartered EuroAtlantic 767-300ER (for SunWing) LGW-YYZ with 17 pax. This was their first flight LGW-YYZ, and the flights were only really marketed in Canada, so it somewhat made sense. At least the horrible 2-4-2 seating config had the benefit of a bit more space to stretch out and lie down in the middle seats.

I've also flown LHR-BLR on BA (777-200ER) with about 30 pax total on a non-delayed flight. Weird as normally that flight is quite full.

mattdell

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:14 pm

It's not quite the same as having the plane to yourself, but the emptiest flight I was on was a VS flight, IAD to LHR in which the plane was really empty (1 in PE, 6 in Economy), except for Upper Class.

I was fortunate to be booked in Upper Class, but I'd have never known the flight was so empty if my girlfriend hadn't been booked in Economy. I went back to look for her and found she'd sweet talked her way into Premium! The steward said he would have put her in Upper with me, but there was literally no more space.

I sat with her a bit in PE and it was very much like having a private jet. The emptiness of the plane made the stewards so much more relaxed too and we managed to have a rather deep and lengthy conversation with one of them in particular.

Now that I think back even further, I've had another flight like that with VS in February from DC albeit from the Economy end of the plane which, when you can have 4 seats to yourself, isn't much worse than a redeye in Upper Class.

Anyway, those flights are always nice to have. Though obviously not as good for business!

[Edited 2015-01-14 07:20:45]

AMIKI

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:37 pm

December 1998, Crossair S20 from NUE to BSL. 2 Pax, me and my wife (both with staff-tix). And LX S20 flight to ZRH which was departing 5 Minutes after our flight had only 1 Passenger (also staff)...

And a few months later I hat a "private" Crossair MD-80 from LHR to BSL together with my wife as we where the only two passengers on this flight.

DELTA711

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:42 pm

I remember a flight in '99 or '00 I was returning to the UK from vacation (MAN) onboard a Canada3000 A330-200 with my family and there was probably only around 40 people onboard... I had the pick of the best window seats, whilst my Dad and Sister both chose a middle row of 4 seats all to themselves... It was a great experience and the crew was great, they just asked the passengers to ring the bell for service as with such a low passenger count, there wasnt much point in running through the full services, there was even extra meals available for those who wanted more food...

I even got to visit the cockpit for around an hour which was awesome, those were the days  

[Edited 2015-01-14 07:43:51]

na747

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm

Back in Feb'11 , three of us flew on a Cape Air Cessna from San Juan to Ponce as non-revs.
The flight was literally booked to 0 . We occupied 33% of the flight if you think about it.
The funny thing was that they made us wait till the last minute before issuing us boarding passes!

EIDL

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:15 pm

Was one of 4 on an ATR72 BIL-CPH a few years ago. My bag wasn't within a chance of fitting in the bins and the purser made a comment along the lines of "I think we'll manage to find a seat for it somewhere" on realising the load was that light!

I've also been the only passenger on an Aer Arann Islands BN2 NNR-INQ but it isn't quite as odd a feeling as a mostly empty larger craft.

ikramerica

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:20 pm

I don't recall a flight with 2, but I have been on a couple flights where the F/As said to just choose any seat as the flight was so empty assigned seats were not necessary. This was before the days of the E+ and pay for exit row, etc.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

highflier92660

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:21 pm

The good: Passenger Chris o' Leary seemed to be a nice guy who rolled with the punches as his original flight was canceled and he suffered through more delays as equipment was flown in to Cleveland.

The bad: He was stuck in Cleveland, and the flight was a one-hour hop to LGA aboard an Expressjet 65-seat CRJ-700. Did he at least get a free beer and chips?

JU068

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:37 pm

About a week ago, airBaltic's flight RIX-LED had 3 passengers on the B737-500.

n6238p

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:39 pm

That wasn't ExpressJet, I think it was BlowJet.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

tymnbalewne

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:52 pm

...and this is news, why?

Back in the late 90s BA carried one passenger on a delayed DTW-LHR flight. When the station manager reported this she was asked why didn't she get rid of that one passenger? You see, because the aircraft carried the one passenger made the flight a revenue flight and as such the delay would've counted against the station's statistics and targets. Had the plane gone out empty then it would've been considered a ferry flight and the delay would not have negatively impacted the station's results.
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

peanuts

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:02 pm

I once flew on a delayed, cancelled, on/off again, repositioning, whatever-it-ended-up-being NW 747-400 from DTW-AMS departing around 9AM with maybe 10 of us. More crew than passengers on board.

Maverick623

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:11 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 18):
I once worked a flight with 1 guy on it... another one had zero people on it. Guess I should have called CNN!

I've been the sole passenger once and one of two, twice. One of the flights I was one of two was a scheduled PHL-PVD that left on time.

Didn't know that could get you on CNN. Oh well...
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Spacepope

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:45 pm

June 1994:

My high school german class was headed MCI-ORD-FRA. The 747-200 that LH had scheduled apparently sucked a pelican into an engine (in SFO?) and wasn't available. All other pax were rebooked on other flights (this was when the world cup was being held in Chicago too). LH couldn't rebook our group, so sent us to a hotel in Beloit, WI. After just a few hours there we were bused back to ORD, where 15 of us had our very own shiny new 747-400 waiting to fly us to FRA.

IIRC instead of drink service, the FAs eventually just parked a beverage cart out in the open and said "help yourself".
The last of the famous international playboys

Siren

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:45 pm

I'm showing my age here - I remember, watching on CNN during New Years Eve, December 31, 1999. The reporter was at LAX, commenting on how incredibly empty the airport was, and that that the UA flight from LAX to SYD departed with 3 or 4 passengers aboard. I would've loved to have been on that flight!

Three for me: I was on a WN flight, SFO-SAN, back in October 2008... early morning flight, departure at around 5:50AM if I remember right, and we only had 8 people aboard. We taxied out, and departed from runway 10R at SFO - which is a fairly uncommon takeoff. I wish I had been filming it!

Another, was a UA flight, on a 747-100, ORD-SFO in July 1996. We departed with less than 20 pax aboard, during midweek, mid/late afternoon departure.. I remember an announcement was made encouraging us to spread out and take whatever seats/aisles we wanted. I took a row on the right side of the plane, aft of the wings - and reported, at dusk, that one of the navigational lights appeared to be out (I'd compared to the other wing). The green light was out, on the left. The green was not on the left/port side. I was 12 years old at the time... I went back and notified an attendant of the finding, showed her - that the red light was on, on the left wing, and the green was missing on the other. She mentioned she would go up to the flight deck and mention this to the crew - I asked if I could come along. She said no, I'm not allowed in the flight deck, but, I could take a look from the door.

It's one of the best memories of my life - climbing up the spiral staircase after her, and then, approaching the flight deck door. She knocked, then opened up... and held it open for me for me to get a good look inside. Seeing the 'christmas tree' lighting and atmosphere of the flight deck at dusk only strengthened my resolve to be a commercial pilot. After landing, I went up to the flight deck and spent 15 minutes impressing the crew with my knowledge ("This is a 747-100, right?" "Yes it is!", and so on.), and impressing upon them my desire to become a commercial pilot. I sat in the captain's seat - he yielded it to me when I first approached, and he demonstrated the stick shaker, aka, "machine guns" to me.   Life conspired to pull me away from my dream of flying, alas.

The last was another UA flight, ORD-SJC in Feb of 1996 - a 727-200, and it was a late departure - right at dusk. Landing at SJC was around 1:30AM or so. We had perhaps 15 people on the flight, plus the F/As. I slept through much of it, but I very much enjoyed the heavy turbulence over the Rockies and Sierras in the late winter El Nino weather that was served up that year. The flight crew was equally gracious after a rather turbulent 1AM landing in SJC, and I enjoyed an extended visit in the 727-200 flight deck... An equally great memory.  

EMB170

Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:30 pm

Flew DTW-IND on a NW DC-9-50 on Easter Sunday morning, 2000. Was one of three people on the entire plane...I and another passenger were booked in F, but the guy in Y got a nice upgrade!
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

Super80DFW

Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:52 pm

Quoting futuresdpdcop (Reply 38):

Oh how times have changed! More and more Southwest is beginning to look like Denver's favorite airline, and their flights are anything BUT empty.

B747forever

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:01 pm

Me, and another 2 PAX on an Island Air ATR on OGG-LNY back in June 2013.

From what I can see on the seat maps of my upcoming February TATL flights, they will be quite empty.
Work Hard, Fly Right

m404

Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:25 am

WAY back sometime in the last 60s maybe A friend and I got the only two seats in First on a Western 720 from Hilo to LAX or HNL to SAN (don't remember for sure). Since we were on a Fam Pass the F/As just said they were of more use in back and left us with a full Prime Rib and bar service. "The only way to fly"
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

goboeing

Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:01 am

I know of one with zero the other day.

Happens all the time.

And if it weren't outsourced, it wouldn't need to happen, but a vendor is going after completion factor until told not to.

chrisair

Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:36 am

I had a WN flight with a total of 9 people on it--2 pilots, 3 FAs, and 4 of us pax. I took a nap on the floor of the exit row.

Had an AS flight last May that had 15 pax on it. We landed at SEA at some bizarre hour of the morning too. Both of these flights were non-delayed, regularly scheduled flights.

coolian2

Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:46 am

Quoting goboeing (Reply 70):
And if it weren't outsourced, it wouldn't need to happen, but a vendor is going after completion factor until told not to.

Well if the plane needed to go anyway, and it was turned and good to go on time, it's not the vendor's fault whoever they're supplying couldn't/didn't have any passengers to put on board.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

chuchoteur

Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:02 am

Once flew BA LGW-BOD, 737 with 8 pax on board. The midweek flight apparently always had low load factors, but they had to operate it to have the rights to fly the end of week super full flights of brits heading down to the wine region!

Viscount724

Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:26 am

Quoting tymnbalewne (Reply 61):
Back in the late 90s BA carried one passenger on a delayed DTW-LHR flight.

BA operated a badly delayed 747 NRT-LHR with just one passenger in 1988. Everyone else had been rebooked on other carriers except one passenger who decided to stick with the delayed flight. It made the NY Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/1988/10/27/wo...rline-passenger-her-own-plane.html

goboeing

Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:54 am

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 72):
Well if the plane needed to go anyway, and it was turned and good to go on time, it's not the vendor's fault whoever they're supplying couldn't/didn't have any passengers to put on board.

Oh I agree, I'm not saying it's the vendor's fault that it's empty.

But the outsourcing/completion factor combo is beyond wasteful sometimes.

A flight could have a lengthy maintenance delay -- let's say, 12 hours. A 9AM flight finally is fixed at 9PM. All of the passengers have long since been reaccomodated on other flights and the original crew deadheaded out or went to the hotel or whatever.

But now, the plane is ready to fly, and the vendor wants to get that completion factor, so the plane does a completely empty out-and-back from the hub, with zero people on board. Absolutely insane! Literally, just flying the plane around. I've seen it more than once.