WorldspotterPL
Topic Author

Europe To NE-Asia Markets

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:04 pm

Hi guys,

as I was doing some analysis I came across the Europe to NE-Asia markets. Looking at it from a European (hub carriers) perspective I started to wonder how this picture can be explained. There are many monopolies of different airlines and I wonder why they exist. For example:

- KL to Xiamen, Hangzhou, and Fukuoka
- LH to Shenyang, Nanjing, and Qingdao
- AF to Wuhan and Guangzhou
- BA to Chengdu
- AY to Chongqing
- also, there are quite a few monopolies by Chinese carriers from secondary cities into European hubs

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a475/PaulLangfermann/ASIAeurospng_zps27b05f77.png
The map is January 2015 data from Innovata

I guess some of the reasons include:

- Economic relationships (eg. German car makers I think operate in Shenyang quite a lot)
- Alliance hubs (eg. Sky Team in Guangzhou, hence AF)

However, it still seems somewhat random to me. Do airlines simply try to find niches/monopolies where they are the only carrier with a one-stop from a European hub (neglecting possible one-stops via PEK or else)? Or is there a specific reason behind every one of these routes that I have no clue about?

Another things in particular that stroke me was
- Alitalia flying nowhere in China but to NRT from Rome, Milan, and Venice (is there such a large tourist market to Venice in the Winter months?

I'd be grateful for any insights you can give me.

Best,
Paul

mercure1

RE: Europe To NE-Asia Markets

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:18 pm

Many of those secondary China markets are subsidized routes, so there simply is no commercial space for second carrier.

For example Air France to Wuhan was reported receiving EUR30,000 per flight., while BA CEO confirmed they received incentives subsidy monies to launch CTU.
mercure f-wtcc

TYCOON

Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:56 pm

AF's flights to Wuhan may be linked to the site of Renault's new factory there.
Regarding flights to Venice, there is a whole lot more than just tourism going into Venice as the Veneto region is one of Italy's wealthiest with a large number of healthy export oriented businesses based there.

FlyingHollander

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:47 pm

Quoting WorldspotterPL (Thread starter):
- BA to Chengdu

KL serves CTU also.
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

factsonly

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:43 pm

Serving smaller passenger/cargo markets via regional airports is a standard airline policy to avoid fighting for marketshare under intense competition at large airports.

At unique airports, airlines seek to make a profit on low demand at a higher yield, while avoiding EK, EY and the QR.

KL to Xiamen, Hangzhou, and Fukuoka

You can add KL to Chengdu, Taipei and Manilla

SCQ83

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:53 pm

Quoting factsonly (Reply 4):
At unique airports, airlines seek to make a profit on low demand at a higher yield, while avoiding EK, EY and the QR.

Some of those "regional" airports are served by the ME3 and TK (Guangzhou by all of them).

WorldspotterPL
Topic Author

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:39 pm

Interesting, thanks! About CTU, is KL maybe only flying there in Summer? Or is the data off FlightGlobal wrong?

migair54

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:47 pm

I read somewhere that Xiamen is looking for a link to Europe and I think it will be KLM who will do it, obviously with a big regional help.

Small markets are saturated with 1 service so airlines avoid competing because they know that it most probably be useless even to try.

In the future we will see more "regional " Chinese airlines going long haul.

Quoting factsonly (Reply 4):
Serving smaller passenger/cargo markets via regional airports is a standard airline policy to avoid fighting for marketshare under intense competition at large airports.

TK masters that art... plus flying into some places that nobody else from Europe even considers.

factsonly

Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:26 pm

Quoting migair54 (Reply 7):

I read somewhere that Xiamen is looking for a link to Europe and I think it will be KLM who will do it, obviously with a big regional help.

The answer is in post 1.
- KL to Xiamen, Hangzhou, and Fukuoka
Quoting WorldspotterPL (Reply 6):
Interesting, thanks! About CTU, is KL maybe only flying there in Summer? Or is the data off FlightGlobal wrong?

KL operates AMS-CTU with B744Combis 4x/week in Northern Summer and 3x/week in northern Winter.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos