diverdave
Topic Author

LAX - Proud Bird Restaurant Gets 20 Year Lease

Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:15 pm

We had a thread in late 2013 that the Proud Bird was to close. A Facebook page for saving the restaurant was set up.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-The-Proud-Bird/415605411876806

The restaurant was saved by a one year lease extension.

The property was put out to bid, and the restaurant's parent company won a 20 year lease.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/...down-for-good?source=topstoriesrot

http://www.facebook.com/proudbirdrestaurant

The restaurant will close temporarily for some remodeling.

Great news!

David

JHwk

RE: LAX - Proud Bird Restaurant Gets 20 Year Lease

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:32 pm

Saw the article; good to hear they are going to reinvest in the property; it really needs some TLC if they want to attract more business. It isn't the easiest location to work with.

OT, but has there been any progress on leasing the Theme Building to a new tenant?

LAX772LR

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Quoting JHwk (Reply 1):
it really needs some TLC if they want to attract more business.

That, and advertise it!

I lived here in LAX for a year before ever knowing it was even there.... ironically, it was a party organized by (former?) A.net member BigPhilNYC, and met quite a few others there too.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

aerobalance

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:17 pm

Good news! Good for them.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

jetwet1

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:43 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 2):

That, and advertise it!

100% agree, until the thread appeared on here I had never heard of the place, on long layovers at LAX i would jump in a cab and go to In-n-Out or the Buggy Whip.

jsnww81

Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 4):
on long layovers at LAX i would jump in a cab and go to In-n-Out or the Buggy Whip.

The Buggy Whip is closed now, sadly. The sign is still up but it's been shut for some time now.

Quoting JHwk (Reply 1):
OT, but has there been any progress on leasing the Theme Building to a new tenant?

No update that I've heard of. The second-level roadway and parking garages built in the 1980s - while very necessary - really diminished passengers' ability to see the Theme Building from the terminals, and to get there on foot. That combined with lack of advertising/visibility brought Encounter down. They publicized the heck out of it when it opened but it kind of died down after that.

It'd be cool - although prohibitively expensive - to see the Theme Building get relocated out to World Way West, off of Pershing Drive. You'd have a command view of the airport, the ocean and the sunset out there, and it would free up space in the central terminal area while still maintaining an icon. I don't even want to think about what such an undertaking would cost, but a guy can dream!

AAlaxfan

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:56 am

I know a little off topic but I think they should use the theme building space for the USO, instead of the trailers it now occupies.

Great to hear about The Proud Bird. One of the few places that my wife (who has no interest in aviation)will go to for lunch or dinner at or near LAX.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

ATLTPA

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:08 am

Hooray! The Proud Bird is a wonderful place.

Glad they ill be making new investments in it, too!

ATLTPA

jetwet1

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:13 am

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 5):

The Buggy Whip is closed now, sadly. The sign is still up but it's been shut for some time now.

You're kidding me, wow shows how long it's been since I had a layover long enough at LAX to go there, on top of that we had friends that lived on W 74th, we would go there before an LA Kings game......

Scooter

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:14 am

That's great news - the Proud Bird is part of what makes LAX so great, so I'm glad to see it isn't going away.
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing obnoxiously-detailed trip reports.

l101fan

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:19 am

Took my 10 year old grandson to LAX for his birthday last September to see the Peterson Auto Museum. We had dinner on his birthday at the Proud Bird. While I had been there many times the service was great and when the staff sang Happy Birthday to my grandson it was the best.

I am really glad they will stay around for awhile.
L101fan

Newark727

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:51 am

Regardless of the rest of the Proud Bird, the photos and other memorabilia on the walls are incredible and a really nice window into southern California aviation history. I went there right before it was due to close in 2013 and shot a Centurion Cargo MD-11F in vanishing dusk light - still the only time I've photographed that airline.

ATA L1011

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:20 am

Great news, in 91 we had a our Senior lunch there and it was fun! Have been several times since and it is always a joy!
Treat others as you expect to be treated!

tommy767

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:19 am

Never been but I have to check it out soon. Also El Segundo brewery is near where the proud bird is but very small and they brew and bottle their own beer.

Buggy whip was open when I went to LMU (graduated over 5 years ago.) Sad to hear its gone.

For those who have time on a layover, check out Tompkins Square the corner of Manchester and Lincoln. Great place, good drinks. Maybe a 5 min ride from LAX. Great LMU hangout!
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

jsnww81

Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:11 am

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 13):
For those who have time on a layover, check out Tompkins Square the corner of Manchester and Lincoln. Great place, good drinks. Maybe a 5 min ride from LAX. Great LMU hangout!

I live about a half-mile from Tompkins Square - it's a great place to grab a drink.

Westchester and Playa del Rey (where I live) are great little neighborhoods. Nowhere better for an aviation enthusiast to live - abundant sunshine, ocean breezes, and a fantastic beach with aircraft overhead every 90 seconds! People derisively call it "Deadchester" but for me it's just about perfect.

tommy767

Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:56 am

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 14):

When I lived there we called it "Whitechester" and for good reason: The neighbors were insane about college kids throwing parties (yet you'd hear constant echos jets slowing down all the time at LAX.) Talk about a double standard about noise levels. But Playa is another good spot for a layover. I love me some Prince O' Whales from time to time.

Now I work in Santa Monica and live near Larchmont. I do miss the Westside a lot and I'm thinking of moving closer to work very shortly.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos