lpdal
Topic Author

United Bringing Major Changes To First Class Meals

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:54 pm

Quoting PR Newswire:
CHICAGO, Jan. 21, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines will treat premium-cabin customers on flights within North America to a brand new dining experience beginning Feb. 1, when the airline elevates everything from entrees to desserts and lighter snacks for United First and United Business customers.

Additionally, United will expand North America premium-cabin meal service to include flights of at least 800 miles - or as short as two hours and 20 minutes - increasing the number of flights on which customers may enjoy meals. The airline will also offer a greater variety of dining choices.

These changes come as United is making a multi-million-dollar investment in in-flight food service.

Premium-Cabin Dining Changes
Created by United's team of chefs and inspired by cuisine in the airline's hub cities and other popular North American destinations, United will introduce flavorful new entrees, including cage-free scrambled eggs prepared skillet style with pepper-jack cheese, sauteed pepper mix, sliced New Mexico sausage, potato gratin and fire-roasted pepper sauce; lobster macaroni and cheese with a baked crumb topping and side of broccoli rabe; and chicken and sausage jambalaya with white rice and green onions.

Other changes include:

For short flights that offer lighter refreshments, the addition of new breakfast breads in the morning and a rotation of 25 new premium snacks in the afternoon and evening;
On meal flights less than four hours, a variety of enhanced breakfast choices, such as French toast souffle or steel-cut oatmeal, both paired with fresh fruit and Greek yogurt, plus new dinner selections, including tandoori chicken with basmati rice and paneer, to replace the current premium sandwich options;
An expanded mid-continental meal service on flights of four hours to five hours and 19 minutes, offering customers who now get two entree options a choice of three, such as creole shrimp served with Carolina grits, and a dessert of sorbet with mint-leaf topping during lunch or gelato or ice cream for dinner;
New multi-course meal service on transcontinental and Hawaii flights, featuring heartier entrees, such as tamale-stuffed chicken wrapped in a corn husk and served with creamy corn sauce, roasted red and yellow tomatoes and yucca sticks, followed by sorbet during lunch or gelato or ice cream for dinner; and
Signature bake-on-board cookies in customer-chosen flavors, including triple-chocolate chunk, served for dessert on short- and medium-haul flights that offer meals, or as an afternoon or evening pre-arrival treat on transcontinental flights and flights that link Hawaii with Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver and Houston.
United will also continue to offer premium-cabin customers Prosecco sparkling wine and - on lunch and dinner flights - the airline's signature warmed nuts.

"Our customers tell us they want greater options and fresh, savory dining choices when they fly with us," said Lynda Coffman, United's vice president of food services. "With these latest enhancements, we will offer restaurant-quality cuisine that enriches their in-flight experience."

A photo of the new chicken and sausage jambalaya is available at http://newsroom.unitedcontinentalhol...erages?view=category&mode=gallery.

In-flight Dining Investments
United will continue to make investments in its customers' in-flight dining. Beginning in March and throughout the rest of this year, the company will:

Upgrade premium-cabin meal service on United Express flights, replacing snack boxes with freshly prepared food served on chinaware on flights of at least 800 miles - or as short as two hours and 20 minutes - and offering a selection of premium packaged snacks on flights less than 800 miles;
Significantly enhance United Economy meals and beverages on long-haul international flights, including adding multi-course meal service;
Refresh its Choice Menu Bistro on Board selection, which offers fresh food for sale in United Economy on most flights scheduled for more than three-and-a-half hours within North America, to Central and northern South America and between Honolulu and Guam; and
Launch new premium-cabin menu choices on its p.s. Premium Service between New York JFK and Los Angeles and New York JFK and San Francisco.
About United
United Airlines and United Express operate an average of 5,055 flights a day to 373 airports across six continents. In 2014, United and United Express operated nearly two million flights carrying 138 million customers. United is proud to have the world's most comprehensive route network, including U.S. mainland hubs in Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, New York/Newark, San Francisco and Washington, D.C. United operates nearly 700 mainline aircraft, and this year, the airline anticipates taking delivery of 34 new Boeing aircraft, including the 787-9 and the 737-900ER. United is also welcoming 49 new Embraer 175 aircraft to United Express. The airline is a founding member of Star Alliance, which provides service to 193 countries via 27 member airlines. More than 84,000 United employees reside in every U.S. state and in countries around the world. For more information, visit united.com, follow @United on Twitter or connect on Facebook. The common stock of United's parent, United Continental Holdings, Inc., is traded on the NYSE under the symbol UAL.

SOURCED FROM: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...rth-america-flights-300023602.html
Copyright PR Newswire 2015

Great to see UA set forth some effort on their catering. The lobster macaroni and soufflé sound delightful!

Changes begin February 1st.

-LPDAL
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

AV8AJET

RE: United Bringing Major Changes To First Class Meals

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:47 pm

So are the CR7's and E-175's getting ovens, or are they already on them anyway?
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

wanderlustlax

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:18 pm

Keeping the fingers crossed that these changes FINALLY apply to PS flights. They've been serving the same, tired (and awful) old menu for so many years in a row that I've lost count.

Maybe UA finally woke up and realized that DL is kicking their rear in this department?

afcjets

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Thread starter):
including cage-free scrambled eggs

All eggs are cage free this is a marketing gimmick by the poultry industry to invoke the image of free range chickens which is not the same thing, otherwise it would say. Do you know how cumbersome and expensive it would be to keep chickens in actual cages?

United1

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:41 pm

Quoting wanderlustlax (Reply 2):
Keeping the fingers crossed that these changes FINALLY apply to PS flights. They've been serving the same, tired (and awful) old menu for so many years in a row that I've lost count.

P.S. meals are being overhauled...
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

catiii

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:43 pm

Maybe UA finally woke up and realized that DL is kicking their rear in this department?

Eh, I don't know about that. I flew DL out of LGA to South Florida in F over MLK weekend, and back on UA in F to EWR, and the UA food was by a mile more superior.

olympic472

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:06 pm

This is welcomed. They have to keep up with the competition.
However, unless the airlines have more F seats the returns of these changes is minimal.
Civil Aviation has a "Need for Speed"!

seabosdca

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:10 pm

jetwet1

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:36 pm

As someone who last year was taking 1st class flight 2-3 times a week, I would be happy to argue that, though IMHO both were roughly the same, with AA being slightly better, DL's problem is, they don't load enough choices, more than once I went hungry (picky eater my fault) because say in a 12 seat cabin, they would load 6 of each choice and as any FF will tell you, on ANY airlines menu rotation, there are some meals that you just don't want to touch.

So I applaud UA for upping their game, if anything can be done to improve the 1st class experience I am all for it, as I fly in a paid for seat, I don't care about the other FF's screaming about the lack of upgrades, if it means more seats to sell, so more revenue for the airline, so a better expereince for those of us that fork over the $$$$ then I am okay with it.

Just to note, I am not looking for gourmet here, DL has a ham sandwich that they seem to stick with out of Punta Cana, that thing is amazingly good, if they could roll that out across the system as a lunch snack I would be happy.

[Edited 2015-01-22 10:38:00]

cxb744

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:48 pm

Now if United can get quality china and trays!
The trays especially look especially worn out and sometimes warped.
No, throwing a nice table cloth over it doesn't solve the problem.
What is it? It's A 747-400, but that's not important right now.

wanderlustlax

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:01 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 5):
Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 8):

Sorry, I should've been more specific. I was referring to DL kicking UA's rear in regards to their transcon meal service. I'm not a DL fanboy at all, but you can't even compare the PS meal offerings to DL's.

uberflieger

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 8):
DL's problem is, they don't load enough choices

Not sure, but I doubt AA & UA cater more meals to assure choice. With American you can now pre-order your entree for domestic & international premium travel.

N1120A

Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:02 pm

They first announced this months ago, and the same awful food has continued being boarded. I'll believe it when I see it.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AA737-823

Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:53 pm

Quoting AV8AJET (Reply 1):
So are the CR7's and E-175's getting ovens, or are they already on them anyway?

My understanding is that CR7 and ER7 aircraft will be offering COLD meal service, no ovens will be installed. It's still an improvement, but not really cometitive, in that regard.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
They first announced this months ago, and the same awful food has continued being boarded. I'll believe it when I see it.

What??? They also announced, months ago, that the improvements would be rolled out after the New Year, so your complaint is pretty much invalid.

N1120A

Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:42 pm

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 13):
They also announced, months ago, that the improvements would be rolled out after the New Year, so your complaint is pretty much invalid.

My complaint is still valid, because the food is still awful, and repetitive.

fxramper

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:02 am

Wasn't this announced a while back on the United employee site that discussed the new branding and roll out of redesigned Biz/First? A la new eats, new seats, etc.   

DDR

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:04 am

What exactly is "New Mexico" sausage? And exactly how does serving "skillet style" scrambled eggs differ from ordinary scrambled eggs? Aren't all scrambled eggs made in a skillet?

U.S. airlines regularly send out press releases about how they are going to improve the first class dining experience but at the end of the day, usually the only difference is in the selections available. The quality is usually the same. Coming up with fancy names for eggs and sausage doesn't really impress me.

Best meal I ever had on UA was a simple breakfast burrito served with a snack box. You don't have to be fancy to be good.

tommy767

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:04 am

A long time coming if you ask me. They've been serving low grade dog food domestically for years and the International product menu in BF and GF rarely rotates.

I guess the enhancement made last year wasn't good enough? Not that it was really anything special -- it's not hard to heat up a packaged 'starbucks style' panini on MIA-EWR.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

fxramper

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:11 am

Quoting DDR (Reply 16):
Aren't all scrambled eggs made in a skillet?

They are gonna prepare eggs to order now.   

Quoting DDR (Reply 16):
Best meal I ever had on UA was a simple breakfast burrito served with a snack box. You don't have to be fancy to be good.

Best meal I had was transcon to SFO and was the 'lite option'. A grilled chicken breast and veggies. The UA international options to Asia/India/Middle East seriously need help.

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 17):
it's not hard to heat up a packaged 'starbucks style' panini on MIA-EWR.

Enjoy a delicious meal in first class on EWR-MIA but was on AA.

frostyj

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:18 am

Good on Unired!!!!! Great
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

a318

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:40 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):

Well, the new catering is set to roll out on February 1st... so your complaint isn't.

Okie

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:47 am

lobster macaroni and cheese with a baked crumb topping and side of broccoli rabe

Somehow lobster macaroni and cheese just does not seem right.
Why would you want to destroy perfectly good mac and cheese.
I must be missing something in my culinary tastes.

Okie

laca773

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:13 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):

I am interested to see what they serve on their so called p.s. JFK transcons, as well the regular transcends to BOS/IAD/PHL (SFO only), MCO.
UA hasn't been known for good food for many years, but has gotten worse. The catering on their Hawaiian premium cabin is pretty bad, as is the so called china, flat, and glass wear.

Main cabin BOB fresh food needs to be upgraded especially on the longer flights and more so, having enough to sell.

The choices listed in the press brief will be covered with a lot of sauce. UA really likes these vomit like concoctions.

On UAEx longer flights, don't they already offer cold meals (salads, sandwiches)? I thought this enhancement was going to take place months ago (i.e.. LAX -MSP/AUS/DFW/SAT, etc. via CR7s.

citationjet

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:19 am

Quoting DDR (Reply 16):
U.S. airlines regularly send out press releases about how they are going to improve the first class dining experience but at the end of the day, usually the only difference is in the selections available.

None of these changes get back to the level of first class service in the 1960s. I remember eating Baked Alaska on a Braniff DC-8 flying First Class in South America as a non-rev.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

jsnww81

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:56 am

Quoting laca773 (Reply 22):
Main cabin BOB fresh food needs to be upgraded especially on the longer flights and more so, having enough to sell.

Yes, this.

US carriers don't seem to grasp that passengers on transcontinental flights will want BOB food. It's common for them to run out of the larger items by the time they get to the exit rows. I realize it's a delicate balancing act to try not to over-cater a flight, but most of the BOB items are 90% preservatives and 10% food anyhow, so it's not as though spoilage is a huge concern. Many passengers on, say, Hawaii flights are hungry and have money to spend, but if you're in the back of the plane, you'll be lucky to get a can of Pringles by the time the crew reach you.

Meanwhile AirAsia, Germanwings, and other carriers around the world manage to offer BOB options (many of them hot), with the ability to pre-order with your ticket purchase. UA, AA and friends are offering glorified Lunchables and unable to meet demand half of the time.

jetwet1

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:21 am

Quoting wanderlustlax (Reply 10):

Sorry, I should've been more specific. I was referring to DL kicking UA's rear in regards to their transcon meal service. I'm not a DL fanboy at all, but you can't even compare the PS meal offerings to DL's.

I knew what you were saying, no need to say sorry, I'm not a fanboy of any airline, well maybe B6 but that's because of the way they handled my medical emergency at the start of the year compared to DL and AA. Funnily, the best 1st class meal I had all year was on DL, I loved the short ribs they had out of ATL, but, if you weren't at the front of the cabin you were not getting it.

Quoting uberflieger (Reply 11):
Not sure, but I doubt AA & UA cater more meals to assure choice. With American you can now pre-order your entree for domestic & international premium travel.

I've had less "sorry we are out of that item" on AA than DL, that's just personal experence than actualy fact. I love the fact that you can now pre order meals.

Isn't that the truth, how hard would it be to sell a nice port of subs sandwich rather than a box of preservatives ?

bluefltspecial

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:37 am

This can't come soon enough, flying YUL-IAH for almost 5 hours with an AM/PM box is a smack in the face, especially when you're paying for it.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

MarcoPoloWorld

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:41 am

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 24):
Meanwhile AirAsia, Germanwings, and other carriers around the world manage to offer BOB options (many of them hot), with the ability to pre-order with your ticket purchase. UA, AA and friends are offering glorified Lunchables and unable to meet demand half of the time.

Spot on. I occasionally fly Asian LCCs (true LCCs, not hybrid ones), and you can always pre-order a hot meal for a charge. In the meantime, it seems that some or all US carriers except Hawaiian starve people even on long-haul flights between the east coast region and Hawaii.

DDR

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:51 am

Quoting MarcoPoloWorld (Reply 27):

Spot on. There is no reason U.S. Airlines can't offer pre paid hot meals. On long haul flights the cabin crew has plenty of time to heat and plate the meals.

EA CO AS

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:11 am

An expanded mid-continental meal service on flights of four hours to five hours and 19 minutes

Not five hours; five hours AND NINETEEN MINUTES.

So what city pairs were they intentionally attempting to include or omit based on that very, very specific block time?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ctnyc12

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:18 am

Quoting Okie (Reply 21):

You clearly have never had lobster mac and cheese   .. it's hands down one of my favorite dishes out there if it is done right

thaiflyer

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:32 am

macaroni and cheese

Mac and Cheese for First/Business Class No thanks !   

N1120A

Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:11 am

Quoting a318 (Reply 20):
Well, the new catering is set to roll out on February 1st... so your complaint isn't.

It is, until improvement is shown.

I am interested to see what they serve on their so called p.s. JFK transcons, as well the regular transcends to BOS/IAD/PHL (SFO only), MCO.
UA hasn't been known for good food for many years, but has gotten worse. The catering on their Hawaiian premium cabin is pretty bad, as is the so called china, flat, and glass wear.

It is all exactly the same.

Quoting uberflieger (Reply 11):
With American you can now pre-order your entree for domestic & international premium travel.

Been like that for quite some time.

jsnww81

Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:16 am

Quoting DDR (Reply 28):
On long haul flights the cabin crew has plenty of time to heat and plate the meals.

Shhhh... don't ever suggest that US-based longhaul cabin crews could work harder. Their seniority entitles them to hour upon hour sitting on their jumpseats reading magazines. There's simply NOT ENOUGH time to deal with something as frivolous as hot meals for passengers willing to pay for them.

laca773

Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:02 am

es, this.

US carriers don't seem to grasp that passengers on transcontinental flights will want BOB food. It's common for them to run out of the larger items by the time they get to the exit rows. I realize it's a delicate balancing act to try not to over-cater a flight, but most of the BOB items are 90% preservatives and 10% food anyhow, so it's not as though spoilage is a huge concern. Many passengers on, say, Hawaii flights are hungry and have money to spend, but if you're in the back of the plane, you'll be lucky to get a can of Pringles by the time the crew reach you.

Agreed. DL and US do have a program where you can order a premium meal in Y (DL's is on their JFK transcons, and Trans-Atlantic flights) (US on all long haul flights) which is nice. Sadly, I have a feeling that will go away when the AA merger is completed.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 32):

It is all exactly the same.

That's pretty sad as it's supposed to be a different product over the other destinations.

The US airlines are always looking to make extra money with all these extra charges. If they were to offer a decent, premium meal on their transcend, Hawaii flights to start, I'm sure they would be a big hit. If I were sitting in Y, and had the option of a decent, premium meal that is the same or similar to F or J, I would order for $20. Then you know you'll get a decent meal and not have to worry about starving, or having just a couple of bites on these longer flights (Sometimes the headwinds make flights from BOS/JFK-SFO nearly seven hours in the winter.).

USAirALB

Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:09 am

I am curious to see what happens to YCL meals on international flights. It says the addition of a "multi-course meal service"...whatever that means.

I know that pre-merger UA offered an appetizer course on Pacific flights, and a cheese and cracker course on Atlantic flights in YCL. It would be nice for that to return.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

flybynight

Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:45 am

About fu(king time is all I have to say to UA.
Heia Norge!

jetwet1

Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:46 am

Quoting laca773 (Reply 34):

Agreed. DL and US do have a program where you can order a premium meal in Y (DL's is on their JFK transcons

The difference is at breakfast there are 3 types of "breakfast" wraps, I use "" because, well they are not really that great as a breakfast item. At lunch or dinner there is one extra item lunch being a burger, dinner being a veggie wrap.

Not really that great and certainly not premium, though it is about on par with AA's offering.

Then there is a slightly different issue, i'm based at LAS, so even though my flight times are just about the same as LAX, it's not a trans con route, so we don't get the trans con food offerings, or seats, though of course we also save a couple of hundred $$ on the fare.

Quoting laca773 (Reply 34):

Agreed. DL and US do have a program where you can order a premium meal in Y

Are you talking about the dine fresh menu on US ?

If so that is on international flights, though it would be great if they would offer it on domestic.

[Edited 2015-01-23 00:50:06]

seat55a

Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:16 am

A photo of the new chicken and sausage jambalaya is available at http://newsroom.unitedcontinentalhol...erages?view=category&mode=gallery.

Funny typo on the photo page, it says, "Chicken and sausage jambalaya with white rice and green unions" ...somebody's wishful thinking, or are the unionized staff really giving their all??

strfyr51

Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:38 am

Well?? At LEAST they don't plan to serve Coq au van again. That lousy dish almost turned me against Chicken Until I made it myself and tasted how it SHOULD taste
Charlie Trotter was their Executive Chef and Now that He's passed away It's about Time they got a new menu and a better offering.. We have Chelsea so it's only a matter of developing what catering United want's to do.

PA727

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:12 pm

Could not agree more on this, if the product is decent, and people can order in advance so you have no loss, then you have a winner.

And if we REALLY want to get radical, include the BOB Y meal product in the cost of a Main Cabin Extra or Economy Comfort seat to make it worth the price. Sure, as an elite, it might make it harder for me to get one of these seats at time of booking, but that would be because there are paying butts sitting there. I bet more people would pay the upcharge if they got something more than just six inches for their money  

glbltrvlr

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:52 pm

Quoting citationjet (Reply 23):

None of these changes get back to the level of first class service in the 1960s. I remember eating Baked Alaska on a Braniff DC-8 flying First Class in South America as a non-rev.

Or even the 80s. I can recall having a fillet steak on a United transcon DC-8 followed by a custom made ice-cream sundae.

AA777223

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:12 pm

Quoting Okie (Reply 21):
I must be missing something in my culinary tastes.
Quoting ctnyc12 (Reply 30):
You clearly have never had lobster mac and cheese   .. it's hands down one of my favorite dishes out there if it is done right
Quoting thaiflyer (Reply 31):
Mac and Cheese for First/Business Class No thanks !

Perhaps you don't dine out much, or maybe it is just a Southern thing, but virtually every high end steakhouse now offers a Mac and Cheese (with lobster being particularly prevalent) side dish. Even if this is a regional thing (which I don't really think it is, as I've seen it at steakhouses around the country), the fact that it has caught on in so many high end steakhouses i.e. Del Friscos, Three Forks, Morton's, Ca[ital Grill, Smith and Wollensky's, Ruth's Chris, Flemings, etc., shows it has taken hold. We aren't talking Kraft here...
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos