TW870

RE: Major Snow Storm Enroute - NorthEast US

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:40 am

Well the only positive in operational terms is that the storm will be at peak intensity on a Tuesday in late January. There will be far fewer people traveling than if this would have hit during the Thanksgiving rush, or even than if this would have been back-to-back days of bad thunderstorms up and down the East Coast on a Thursday and Friday in July.

A lot of pilot and flight attendant lines are pretty low time in January anyway (compared to other months), so it will be much easier to beef up coverage than it would be in the summer. Now of course getting to work will be a mess, but at least extra coverage will help speed the recovery once the roads are back open.

LU9092

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:42 am

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 47):
but does a blizzard like this effect Amtrak as well?

Yes, it does. Low visibility slows things down, operations to remove snow from switches to ensure safe operation will delay trains, etc. Like the airlines, Amtrak also has to deal with crews being unable to report to work. Platforms at outdoor stations have to be cleared of snow. Here's a blurb from their site explaining some of the things they're doing to prepare, and it gives an idea of the kinds of challenges they anticipate:

"Equipment Positioning – To more quickly respond to potential problems, diesel locomotives and on-track maintenance equipment are strategically positioned in designated locations along the Northeast Corridor. Should downed trees or limbs disable the overhead electrical system, diesel power can help move trains when it is safe to do so, and on-track equipment can be dispatched to make any necessary infrastructure repairs.
Tree Trimming Crews – To supplement standard coverage, independent contractors are on standby to quickly respond to reports of trees or limbs down along the right-of-way, which could damage the overhead electrical system or prevent safe passage of trains. Amtrak engages in a regular year-round tree trimming program to proactively minimize such impacts.

Additional Staffing – Mechanical, engineering and operations forces are mobilizing additional crews to ensure safe and efficient operation of the railroad. Additional on-board staff are also on standby and ready to respond should a re-crewing need arise."

hufftheweevil

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:52 am

Tons of US flights into and out of PHL tomorrow cancelled already. While it does suck for the passengers, I'm always excited for an interesting IROPS day.
Huff

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:00 am

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 47):
but does a blizzard like this effect Amtrak as well?

Amtrak does much better and just normal snow they can run pretty much normally. This storm though will effect Amtrak if it ends up as they are predicting because of the strong winds and such high amounts of snow. The winds are suppose to be very strong and snow rifts will be deep and visibility will be very limited with blowing snow cause white outs. Amtrak will have problems they still have to be able to see and this storm will be creating white out conditions plus they are saying 2-4 inches an hour at times, you have almost no visibility when its snowing this hard not even factoring in the hurricane strength winds.

The NY and Boston weather people are really committing to this storm being huge, I guess nothing but to sit back and see. For anyone who needs to get into NYC or Boston I hope you are flying tomorrow!

alberchico

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:45 am

I'm confused. The weather channel is reporting only 12-24 inches of snow for NYC. Where are people getting the 3 feet of snow estimate from ?

http://www.weather.com/storms/winter...no-blizzard-boston-nyc-new-england
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

blueflyer

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:36 am

United cancelled pretty much their entire operation at EWR for Tuesday. On Monday, almost all international flights and many domestic flights are still on the schedule.
All Hail King Donald

hiflyer

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:46 am

Looks like UA has shuttered PHL north thru Maine and within about 100 miles of the coast for Tues....pretty much as other carriers. Would suspect that there will be cancels going into the area tonight for everyone to avoid overnight aircraft. South of that appear to be business as usual....Washington DC and south. Transatlantic carriers will have to cncl or will have to overfly to Ohio or DC (or farther) to get out of it. I'm thinking the word 'diversion' may apply for a bit...grin.

tan1mill

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:27 am

I'm sure the people of Buffalo are just laughing as they watch everyone freak out over 18-24 inches.
Love many, Trust few, Always paddle your own canoe.

Gonzalo

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:42 am

Quoting werdywerd (Thread starter):
Some reports saying this can be a "historic one".

Well with all due respect, I remember a couple of years ago there was another warning like this ( I opened a thread about that storm here ), they even called that one "Frankestorm".... and nothing special happened, just another big storm with a lot of snow, nothing enough to freak out the people of New York or Boston. Let's hope this one is just another big monster that becomes a kitty cat....

Rgds.

G.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

ltbewr

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:16 pm

One big problem will be the inability of airport, airline and support persons as well as travelers from getting to/from the airports as roads and rail services become unable to operate in heavy snow. This is expected to be the worst snowstorm since 2006 in the NYC metro area.
I wonder if some international flights may be if not cancelled, but diverted to IAD, BAL, PIT and other airports to the east and south to get around this superstorm.
To make things worse, temperatures are expected to stay below frezzing, perhaps at record or near-record lows into next week, making clean up and recovery even more difficult.

sq452

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:36 pm

SQ25 departing JFK on Monday night 26th Jan. has had its departure time moved up to 16:00 local time from 20:25 per the SQ website. Looks like it will be one long layover in Frankfurt for the transit on to Singapore (at least 6 hours by my calculation) on the 27th. I'm sure SQ will look after the passengers going all the way to Singapore. Has to be interesting trying to notify everyone though that their flight is 4 and a half hours earlier now.

First time I've ever seen an airline move a departure time up, particularly that much.
SIN > CVG > BOS

readytotaxi

Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:07 pm

The BA website is advising of possible delay/cancelled flights and a the chance to rebook for Monday & Tuesday for free.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:17 pm

Quoting Tan1mill (Reply 57):
I'm sure the people of Buffalo are just laughing as they watch everyone freak out over 18-24 inches.

Not really its the wind that will make this so paralyzing they are saying plus the density in the NYC area makes it so difficult. Its tough to get everyone off the roads and then those stuck cars make plowing take so much longer etc

New York has excellent equipment to tackle this storm the wind is what could really cause a huge problem. Lets hope for less wind and snow drifts.

The 2010 storm was pretty bad and we got back moving pretty quickly. I really hope jetblue has better plans in place to tackle this storm since both of its hubs are about to go offline and with how full planes are its so hard to rebook.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/...8-0C973BFC000005DC-872_634x343.jpg

washingtonflyer

Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:47 pm

They are showing 3 hour delays on Flight aware into PHL.

I wonder if the airlines ferried aircraft out of the NE area. I remember seeing (a few years back) a set of photos from PIT where US had ferried most of its northeast and DCA based planes to get them out of danger.

jetblastdubai

Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 63):
to get them out of danger

...as well as allowing for much faster clearing/plowing of the ramps. There will probably be arrivals landing before the irrop'd departures can get back on schedule and having available, open gates will help the gate congestion problem.

FlyingSicilian

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:02 pm

I am putting family on UA from IAH-BWI and it is still showing as on schedule.

How is BWI looking? I only see an inch or two predicted? Should I try to move them to a DCA flight further south?
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

IADCA

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:15 pm

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 65):
I am putting family on UA from IAH-BWI and it is still showing as on schedule.

How is BWI looking? I only see an inch or two predicted? Should I try to move them to a DCA flight further south?

BWI should be fine, and so should DCA. It's not going to be cold enough either place for much to accumulate. It's 37 degrees F at DCA right now, and while it's snowing lightly nothing's sticking.

readytotaxi

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:16 pm

BA now cancelling 6 flights LHR-JFK on Monday.
2 cancelled for Tuesday.
LHR-BOS 1 cancelled Monday & 1 Tuesday.
Keep warm people.

realsim

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:21 pm

AA has cancelled all the departures for tomorrow, tuesday, from the NYC airports, BOS and PHL.

FlyingSicilian

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:21 pm

Quoting IADCA (Reply 66):
BWI should be fine, and so should DCA. It's not going to be cold enough either place for much to accumulate. It's 37 degrees F at DCA right now, and while it's snowing lightly nothing's sticking.

Thanks, I hope so!

It was cheaper for me to buy then first seats into BWI than Y into DCA LOL.. Maybe I should have had them stick with convenience over luxury...
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

crablin

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:23 pm

I'm currently on board BA175 en route to JFK, having got up early enough this morning to swap on to this from the cancelled 1130GMT departure. Lot of people on board already realising their onward connections from jfk are cxld including my row mate who isn't getting to Pittsburgh in a hurry.

Must say BA have been excellent throughout for me though.

washingtonflyer

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:23 pm

Yes, but you then have to get them to DC - which can be brutal.

Very light snow right now, and it's not sticking.

IADCA

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:34 pm

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 69):
Thanks, I hope so!

It was cheaper for me to buy then first seats into BWI than Y into DCA LOL.. Maybe I should have had them stick with convenience over luxury...

Are they actually going to DC? Then I'd say DCA, as the roads get bad way out of proportion to anything else.

B6JFKH81

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:38 pm

Quoting alberchico (Reply 54):
I'm confused. The weather channel is reporting only 12-24 inches of snow for NYC. Where are people getting the 3 feet of snow estimate from ?

The National Weather Service was reporting up to 36 yesterday, this was one post on their FB page:

http://www.facebook.com/NWSNewYorkNY...67/992483384114310/?type=1&theater

The latest predictions have been reduced, but at this point who knows what we're going to get LOL! With these storms, the info changes every hour!
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

UALFAson

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:45 pm

Quoting alberchico (Reply 54):

Some of the outer suburbs, particularly eastern Long Island, could see 30+ inches, while the city proper is "only" expecting 12-24 inches.

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 63):
I wonder if the airlines ferried aircraft out of the NE area. I remember seeing (a few years back) a set of photos from PIT where US had ferried most of its northeast and DCA based planes to get them out of danger.

Airlines have gotten much better lately about pro-actively planning for inclement weather and adjusting schedules ahead of time to prevent planes from getting stranded. This storm has been forecast for several days, giving the airlines plenty of time to send planes out of affected cities on revenue flights and not have new ones come in.

That said, my WN flight BNA-LGA I decided not to take this morning not only operated, but actually landed 15 minutes early. I'm sure they turned that plane around quickly and got it back out of there before the storm hits this afternoon.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

bond007

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:45 pm

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 34):
We had 8 inches of snow in areas here last week and we did just fine. Northern Ireland and Scotland isn't England.

When Belfast airport increases it's flights to anything bigger than a fraction of JFK, EWR, PHL, LGA etc, then please give us an update on how well it goes with 2-3 times as much snow  

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

YULWinterSkies

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:48 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 59):
I wonder if some international flights may be if not cancelled, but diverted to IAD, BAL, PIT and other airports to the east and south to get around this superstorm.

AF has already posted cancellations for today (2 of the 3 flights, only the one due to land in 1/2 hour and take off at 4.15 PM is operating and nothing after that).
It is more simple to cancel and have to deal with pax and re-routing the connecting pax at your home hub than it is to deal with 300 pax in an airport where an airline may or may not have enough gates and staff, with the pax still due to make it at final destination by chartered buses and such, on questionably open freeways.
Pax connecting at JFK (for AF/DL these are normally few) likely won't have major issues to be rerouted through ATL or DTW or other hubs. Those for which JFK was final destination would not make it home easily anyway, regardless of their point of arrival into the US.
When I doubt... go running!

readytotaxi

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:10 pm

Quoting crablin (Reply 70):
I'm currently on board BA175 en route to JFK

I see you, just coming up on New Brunswick , 1:30 to go.
How about a trip report?

Mikey711MN

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:06 pm

From NWS Boston:

Quote:
.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
1030 AM UPDATE...

HERE WE GO.
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

catiii

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:01 pm

Ground stop at EWR and LGA now through 4:30P ET...

AABB777

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:10 pm

I just noticed QR has canceled their JFK and PHL flights tomorrow, Tuesday, 1/27, and tonight's JFK-DOH flight is now departing at 5:20pm (4 hours early).

jfklganyc

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Very interesting banding.

NYC getting very heavy snow now.

Since 1pm around 5 inches of snow.

Just south nothing

PHL nothing from my pilot friend at the airport.

Jerseyguy

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:07 pm

Frontier has canceled all their flights tommorrow (arrival and departure) for LGA and PHL
In Trenton (TTN) all flights are canceled between 7pm today and 5pm tommorrow
Tommorows TTN evening arrivals from MCO, RSW, and PBI will run to get the 3 aircraft positioned for flights to resume on Wednesday.

[Edited 2015-01-26 14:12:43]
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

57AZ

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:40 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 53):
Amtrak does much better and just normal snow they can run pretty much normally. This storm though will effect Amtrak if it ends up as they are predicting because of the strong winds and such high amounts of snow. The winds are suppose to be very strong and snow rifts will be deep and visibility will be very limited with blowing snow cause white outs. Amtrak will have problems they still have to be able to see and this storm will be creating white out conditions plus they are saying 2-4 inches an hour at times, you have almost no visibility when its snowing this hard not even factoring in the hurricane strength winds

Visibility is not as much as an issue for Amtrak. Their trains run on in-cab signaling so there is no need to see the wayside signals. The big issue is if there is any disruption of the signal system or there are trees down on the right of way or power disruptions.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

nkops

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:54 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 81):
PHL nothing from my pilot friend at the airport.

ACY nothing either.. had a little this morning but quickly changed to rain and now we just have a fine mist and thats it... I am sure it is coming though
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

blueflyer

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:05 pm

Airports will be closing but not the air space to the best of my knowledge. Which brings me to ask how places like New York Center will handle the storm. Do they take measures to address the possibility that staff may be unable to report for duty such as putting them up in nearby hotels?

I figure some transit traffic will have to take a slight diversion if enough airports are closed that there are insufficient enroute diversion options, but I doubt all the traffic will need to be rerouted.
All Hail King Donald

RDUDDJI

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:08 pm

It's been interesting watching air traffic in/out of NYC today. Clearing out slowly.

I do think this storm is more than a little over-hyped. It looks like the bulk of it is going to track further East of NYC. It's possible NYC could get less than half of the 22+ or so inches I've heard predicted.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

COEWR787

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:26 pm

Now all ground public transport between New York and Boston and points in between have been canceled for all of Tuesday. The shutdown is effective 11pm Monday to sometime early morning Wednesday. This includes Amtrak, Metro-North, LIRR, MBTA in Boston Shore Line East in Connecticut.

New York State has imposed a driving ban and shut down all bridges and tunnels run by MTA and PANYNJ effective 11pm tonight.

Sooner787

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:33 pm

I assume the Patriot's charter got out of NE on time this afternoon ?

T5towbar

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:00 am

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 88):

They left earlier today and are safely in PHX right now. Just saw the news a few minutes ago, and they were exiting a DL 767-400 from the rear door.
A comment from an Ex CON: Work Hard.....Fly Standby!

jetwet1

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:46 am

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 88):
Quoting T5towbar (Reply 89):
They left earlier today and are safely in PHX right now. Just saw the news a few minutes ago, and they were exiting a DL 767-400 from the rear door.

As the airlines/airports are doing a great job of actually getting ahead of this storm, so no real news to report on here, the Pats came to mind, honestly, I would have laughed, Superbowl cancelled due to the Pats being snowed in....

mats01776

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:06 am

Quoting T5towbar (Reply 89):

I have a sneaking hunch that they already inflated the game balls to the proper pressure on board at FL360.   

ASA

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:32 am

Quoting nkops (Reply 84):
ACY nothing either.. had a little this morning but quickly changed to rain and now we just have a fine mist and thats it... I am sure it is coming though

Less than an inch in Boston north shore so far ... just some powder on the roads. The wind seems to be getting stronger though ... maybe it's coming over night.

frostyj

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:46 am

Its not even snowing in nyc...

[Edited 2015-01-26 18:47:19]
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

northwestEWR

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:48 am

Quoting ASA (Reply 92):

The major snow should be starting around midnight. Latest forecasts below. It doesn't look pretty.

KEWR 270151Z 02022KT 6SM -SN BR FEW008 BKN014 OVC025 M03/M06 A2979 RMK AO2 PK WND 03026/0151 SLP088 P0000 T10331056
KEWR 270239Z 2703/2806 02022G30KT 3SM -SN OVC014
FM270600 36024G34KT 1/2SM SN FZFG OVC008
TEMPO 2708/2710 1/4SM +SN FZFG BLSN VV005
FM271500 34023G33KT 1/2SM SN FZFG BLSN OVC008
FM272100 34020G33KT 2SM -SN BLSN OVC020
FM280300 33017G30KT 2SM -SHSN OVC030

KBOS 270220Z 03025G30KT 3/4SM R04R/6000VP6000FT -SN BR BKN011 OVC016 M03/M04 A2994 RMK AO2 PK WND 04034/0203 P0000
KBOS 270213Z 2702/2806 04022G30KT 1 1/2SM -SN BLSN OVC012
FM270330 04024G35KT 1/2SM -SN BLSN OVC006
FM270600 03026G44KT 1/4SM +SN BLSN OVC006 WS020/03055KT
FM271800 01028G48KT 1/2SM SN BLSN OVC003 WS020/03055KT
FM280000 35025G40KT 1SM -SN BLSN OVC008 WS020/03055KT
FM280500 34019G31KT 2SM -SN BLSN OVC010

KJFK 270151Z 02021G30KT 1 1/2SM R04R/6000VP6000FT -SN BR FEW007 OVC018 M03/M05 A2976 RMK AO2 PK WND 03034/0120 SFC VIS 2 SLP078 PRESENT WX DRSN P0000 T10281050
KJFK 270239Z 2703/2806 03025G35KT 1/2SM SN FZFG OVC012
FM270500 01027G38KT 1/2SM SN FZFG OVC008
TEMPO 2706/2710 1/4SM +SN FZFG BLSN VV005
FM271600 34025G35KT 1/2SM SN FZFG BLSN OVC008
FM272200 33020G33KT 2SM -SN BLSN OVC020
FM280300 33018G30KT 2SM -SHSN OVC030
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

wjcandee

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:49 am

Amazing they're shutting down all the tunnels, etc.

There's practically nothing going on outside weatherwise right now. A little light powder.

We'll see if we get the blizzard later tonight I guess.

Right now it seems like a massive overreaction. Everybody fled the City and nothing happened.

maxamuus

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:55 am

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 95):
Everybody fled the City and nothing happened.

Zombie apocalypse the government is keeping quiet about?

Okie

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:04 am

There's practically nothing going on outside weatherwise right now. A little light powder

I checked a few of the webcams around NYC at about 2200 EST and not much of anything other than light traffic dusting of snow and not much wind.
Unless I overlooked, there does not seem to be a webcam at KJFK.

I think the overnight is what they are worried about but the radar does not look that bad right now.

Okie

NAV30

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:09 am

Right now it seems like a massive overreaction.

Looks more like a case of 'giving people plenty of notice,' wjcandee. Apparently the worst of the storms will hit overnight and Tuesday morning?

•Hazard types: Heavy snow and blowing snow, with blizzard conditions.
•Accumulations: 20 to 30 inches with locally higher amounts. Especially across Long Island and Connecticut.
•Snowfall rates, 2 to 4 inches per hour late tonight into Tuesday morning.
•Winds: north 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 55 mph. Gusts up to 70 mph possible across extreme eastern Long Island.
•Visibilities: one quarter mile or less at times.

http://www.google.org/publicalerts/a...8cc43a39fd2&hl=en&gl=AU&source=web

Hope all's well with you, and remains so!

catiii

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:37 am

Delta operating a 777 as DL9954 out of JFK right now to TLV. Extra section to pick up stranded pax?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos