Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

osiris30
Topic Author

MH Website Hacked...

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:00 am

I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

LAX772LR

RE: MH Website Hacked...

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:03 am

Quoting osiris30 (Thread starter):
Poor MH can't catch a break.

No joke.... did they involuntarily-bump a voodoo priest, or something?   
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

LAX772LR

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:04 am

Still hacked, BTW.

Now it's showing a lizard, wearing a tux and smoking a pipe.

I do question the wisdom of leaving Twitter pages of specific individuals in association with you, on a site you just hacked though.... unless it's exceedingly hard to track down people via Twitter?

[Edited 2015-01-25 21:17:08]
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

UA444

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:29 am

Mine is showing the Lizard and a crappy rap song with lyrics including mentions of ISIS.

airportugal310

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:35 am

I was thinking about flying standby on them next month. Still thinking about it but damn even though I've been in this industry long enough, it's spooking me out. And I'm smarter than that
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

TWA772LR

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:22 am

MH just needs a total rebrand and a new name. I kinda like AIr Malay myself.

Quoting UA444 (Reply 3):
Mine is showing the Lizard and a crappy rap song with lyrics including mentions of ISIS.

Mine is too. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the song was sketchy, much less a horrible rap in itself (I've done better freestyles myself   )
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

alberchico

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:50 am

They appear to have some internal information:

https://i.imgur.com/7j4BsdU.png
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

infinit

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 am

that is terrible. It never ends for MH doesn't it.
I imagine some will be apprehensive to book a flight on their website now worrying that their details might be stoeln by hackers.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 5):

That would sound racist. Malaysia is a country and Malay is a race. Malaysia also has significant minorities of ethnic Chinese, Indian and indigenous Malaysians. There are also Malays in Singapore (Singapore's national language officially is Malay btw), Brunei and some parts of Indonesia. Race is also a sensitive issue in Malaysia

CPDC10-30

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:00 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 5):
I kinda like AIr Malay myself.

You seriously have no idea how bad that idea is, especially as Malaysia is a multi-ethnic society.

Malay = the largest race of people in Malaysia, also the name of the official language
Malaysia = the name of the country

777way

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:12 pm

They have also hacked Air Koryo FB page, I dont know about Malaysia since its mjority muslim, but who ever has created IS is using it to promote hatred for Islam, North Korea is one of few anti-Israel non-Muslim countries.

lesfalls

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:21 pm

I wonder if this is a whole scheme set by a cel to destroy MH. Are they such big competition to other carriers?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

usflyer msp

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:37 pm

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 4):

I was thinking about flying standby on them next month. Still thinking about it but damn even though I've been in this industry long enough, it's spooking me out. And I'm smarter than that

I flew 5 segments on MH within the last month and everything was fine...

TWA772LR

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:22 am

Quoting infinit (Reply 7):
Quoting CPDC10-30 (Reply 8):

I didn't know Malay is a race, and I definitely didn't mean it in a negative way. I thought it would be a reference to the Malaya peninsula, I didn't know that the race of people in that area are called Malays.

I retract my previous statement and revise it to Air Malaya, for the Malaya peninsula.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

infinit

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:47 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 12):
I didn't know Malay is a race, and I definitely didn't mean it in a negative way. I thought it would be a reference to the Malaya peninsula, I didn't know that the race of people in that area are called Malays.

I retract my previous statement and revise it to Air Malaya, for the Malaya peninsula.

No worries. One wouldn't be expected to know the intricacies of this region. I would be equally clueless about most of the states in the US

Air Malaya too would have problems. Malaya generally refers to the Malay archipelago which is the geographical region that includes present day Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei and Indonesia. So technically Singapore Airlines and Garuda are airlines operating out of Malaya too. I don't think SQ would object to MH rebranding itself as Air Malaya but it would be odd considering the history of the brand which went from:

1947: Malayan Airways- SIN-based and founded by shareholders from BOAC and what is present day Qantas
1963: renamed Malaysian Airways when Singapore joined the newly-formed Federation of Malaysia
1965: Singapore left the federation and the airline became a bi-national airline; renamed Malaysia-Singapore Airlines, still headquartered in SIN
1972: The Singapore and Malaysia sides had different visions for the airline so they agreed to split it into the present day Singapore Airlines and Malaysia Airlines

So Air Malaya could work but it would be odd with SQ being the other airline with a shared history operating out of the Malayan region too

I can't think of anything better though for a possible rename though

airpearl

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:02 am

Probably not such a good idea either. Apart from the fact that the word 'Malaya' is no longer in regular use here, the country that is Malaysia is made up of more than just the Malay peninsula, and includes the states of Sabah and Sarawak on Borneo island (collectively known as East Malaysia) that are in fact larger than the peninsula in total land area. As the ruling government essentially depends on the voters in East Malaysia to stay in power, calling MH Air Malaya is probably the fastest way to political suicide and lead to stronger calls for secession. Also, MH has two secondary hubs in East Malaysia, in addition to its primary hub in Kuala Lumpur (which is indeed in 'Malaya'), so calling the airline Air Malaya would be somewhat misleading also. Full marks for trying though  
Quoting infinit (Reply 13):
Air Malaya too would have problems. Malaya generally refers to the Malay archipelago which is the geographical region that includes present day Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei and Indonesia. So technically Singapore Airlines and Garuda are airlines operating out of Malaya too.

Sorry to correct you on this, but while the Malay archipelago refers to the wide area of land and sea that includes Malaysia, Singapore and parts of Indonesia, the word Malaya itself is rather specific, and refers to the Malay peninsula that was granted independence by Britain in 1957 to become the Federation of Malaya. The country's name was changed to Malaysia in 1963 with the inclusion of Sabah, Sarawak, and also Singapore (which two years later become a separate country).

infinit

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:52 am

Quoting airpearl (Reply 14):
Sorry to correct you on this, but while the Malay archipelago refers to the wide area of land and sea that includes Malaysia, Singapore and parts of Indonesia, the word Malaya itself is rather specific, and refers to the Malay peninsula that was granted independence by Britain in 1957 to become the Federation of Malaya. The country's name was changed to Malaysia in 1963 with the inclusion of Sabah, Sarawak, and also Singapore (which two years later become a separate country).

That's what I used to think too, that Malaya= present day Malaysia until I read a book on the history of the region that refers to Malaya as the entire archipelago. When I look it up on the net now, it seems there is no one standard definition, it is fundamentally contested- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaya

airportugal310

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:54 am

Quoting USFlyer MSP (Reply 11):
I flew 5 segments on MH within the last month and everything was fine...

Indeed. And I agree 100%. Hell, the one way fare from SYD-HKT is so good I'm thinking about skipping the NRSA crap and buying the fare. As it stands, I may just go stby on the JetStar flight since it's nonstop and on the 788 which would be a new one for me. And it'll involve a night in SYD which I've never been to and would be a fun night at the bars  
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

airpearl

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:49 am

Quoting infinit (Reply 15):

That's what I used to think too, that Malaya= present day Malaysia until I read a book on the history of the region that refers to Malaya as the entire archipelago. When I look it up on the net now, it seems there is no one standard definition, it is fundamentally contested

That's quite interesting - I didn't know that. Be that as it may, these terms whether it be 'Malaya' or 'Malay archipelago' are so archaic that it would be unthinkable an Indonesian living in Jakarta today would want to be known as a Malayan, whatever certain history books may say. In essence, therefore, Malaya to most people is the country that attained independence from Britain in 1957 and changed its name to Malaysia in 1963.

neutrino

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:39 pm

Can't help being a tad pedantic but it should be Malay Peninsular, NOT Malaya peninsula.

Anyway, if the word Malaysia is to be dropped, why not rename after the capital. Air Kuala Lumpur or Kuala Lumpur Airlines/Airways don't sound too bad.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos