T5towbar

RE: Article - "Airports In US Are Bad, Getting Worse"

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:40 pm

Quoting ozglobal (Reply 61):
Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 18):

Yes. Well we were brutally attacked on 9/11 by foreigners. So things tightened up a bit. Sorry to say, that isn't changing.

Let's look at that:

- the 9/11 attacks we performed by US RESIDENTS

All but one were Saudi's with student visas.

Quoting ozglobal (Reply 61):
Security failure was a US domestic issue

Yes. Security was handled by various private firms. Some who was worse than others. ie: Wackenhut.

Quoting dlphoenix (Reply 74):
Having said that - I would love to see my toll dollars used to improve airport facilities and transportation infrastructure (NJ airport fees and road tolls were used in recent years to finance the PANYNJ administration and the rebuilding of the WTC).

And that's the main problem with the Port Authority On NY/NJ. The funding was spread out over many different projects and the new WTC took up the bulk of the monies in the past dozen years or so. That building had to be built no matter the cost. Many of us taxpayers complain because we don't really see many tangible results from the ever increasing tolls and fares.

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 63):
The sad thing is that there are absolutely NO new airports under construction or even under serious consideration in the US. Congress needs to quit fighting about Obama care and voting for the fifty-something time to abolish it and pay attention to INFRASTRUCTURE.

That's another problem. The political infighting we have here. Don't forget the funding battles for DHS (CPB and ICE)

Quoting joperrin89 (Reply 46):
Im flying into EWR for the first time in March. Should I be worried? Ha  

Depends on who your are flying.
If you are flying another carrier besides UA, you will be coming into Terminal B. Terminal B Customs Hall is a larger facility, and in some respects faster than Terminal C. If you are flying UA, you can wind up either in B or C. Terminal C is UA's facility; a bit smaller than B, but the recheck process is faster and connecting INT to DOM is much easier than B. Like any NY Area facility, it depends on what time you will arrive.

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 90):
Quoting Escapehere (Reply 60):
What US airports really need is an attitude adjustment.

Don't hold your breath. https://www.afge.org/?Page=TSA

Unionized, government workers performing a task that has no competition. What could possibly go wrong?

Well, it was a hodgepodge before TSA. At least security is now standardized. They can be better, but DHS as a whole can and needs to be improved. Something important like security, I wouldn't totally trust it to the free market. Government and private entities has it's place. And can compliment each other and can work together.
A comment from an Ex CON: Work Hard.....Fly Standby!

jetblastdubai

Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:29 pm

Quoting T5towbar (Reply 100):
Well, it was a hodgepodge before TSA. At least security is now standardized. They can be better, but DHS as a whole can and needs to be improved. Something important like security, I wouldn't totally trust it to the free market. Government and private entities has it's place. And can compliment each other and can work together.

I wasn't being critical of the actual job they do but instead the manner in which they do it. I've seen passengers in tears after getting screamed at by TSA for not taking off a sweater or not having their bag flat on the belt as it went thru the x-ray. What could have been corrected by a discreet instruction to the passenger was instead broadcast to the entire line-up of passengers in a tone that would make the guy selling peanuts at Yankee Stadium seem mild.

Not everyone is a seasoned traveler and if some TSA workers, who deal directly with the flying public, cannot cope with the slightest bit of inconvenience someone should either sit them down for long, hard talk or they need to be placed in a position where they don't have to interact with other humans.

I would definitely put security at the hands of private industry ahead of a government agency. Private industry would have to meet or exceed standards while government has far less accountability.
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

Escapehere

Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:32 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 99):
They were when installed. I believe the software has since been updated, but I can't find confirmation that that update happened. I only see articles like this one stating that it was coming soon.

They should install these at Canadian Pre-Clearance Airports. Given that probably 90% of people going through it are Canadian, it would speed the process up for everyone, as well as saving the US money by needing less border agents there. Nexus was great for awhile, but now there are so many Nexus members sometimes the queues are just as bad for Nexus as Non-Nexus. May as well make the process as automated as possible.

mjoelnir

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:27 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 99):
Does Iceland have a reciprocal program open to US citizens as Germany and the Netherlands do?

Global entry is not a reciprocal program as far as I know. It was not established for use by foreign citizen, but to speed the process for USA citizen.

Global entry for foreigners is only necessary after the USA botched the agreed upon easy access for citizen of "friendly" nations that should be open to any body traveling from this countries to the USA and not to a privileged few.
I would gladly pay the 100 USD every five years for easier access if it would be open to me.

But again the agreement was easy access for travelers for both countries in both directions and where is the easy access for the travelers from Iceland to the USA?
And I myself look at the ESTA program as a breach of the no visa agreement, but as usually the USA government is not called out on it.

KEF has, as it is, not installed any automated border control kiosks, but there are also no unreasonable wait times, I would be astonished if a USA citizen would wait more than 15 minutes at immigration or passport control in KEF and therefor I qualify that as easy access.

Sorry I have to correct myself, there is the possibility for USA citizen to register with the AGB+ program in Germany and they can than use the easypass system, the automated border control kiosks open otherwise to EEA and Swiss citizen.

But hear, it does not cost anything and you have to register only once.

But again to the main point, what other western world country produces 2 hours wait times at the border control of international airports but the USA and I mean only border control, customs, luggage retrieval, check in of bags TSA come extra, you need about 4 hours time to transfer in JFK and that is not an unlucky day.

[Edited 2015-01-28 09:44:43]

[Edited 2015-01-28 09:48:41]

mayor

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:49 pm

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 103):

KEF has, as it is, not installed any automated border control kiosks, but there are also no unreasonable wait times, I would be astonished if a USA citizen would wait more than 15 minutes at immigration or passport control in KEF and therefor I qualify that as easy access.

You think that might have something to do with the amount of arriving pax in KEF as compared to JFK at any one time?  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

mjoelnir

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:55 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 104):
You think that might have something to do with the amount of arriving pax in KEF as compared to JFK at any one time?  

Yes must be, on the terminal 7 in JFK, were I waited the last time for two hours, there were two 767 and 747 before us during the hour before we landed and had already filled up the border control. Let us say about two times 250 and once 450 and than our 175 that must of course overwhelm that international part of the terminal.

When I got back we had nine 757 arriving in an hour from North America, but that are of course only peanuts for a small airport.  

You guys will try every ridiculous excuse you will find.

Cubsrule

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:18 pm

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 103):
But again to the main point, what other western world country produces 2 hours wait times at the border control of international airports but the USA and I mean only border control, customs, luggage retrieval, check in of bags TSA come extra, you need about 4 hours time to transfer in JFK and that is not an unlucky day.

How does a problem that you have experienced only at JFK become a US-wide problem? Have you considered that JFK may not be representative?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

mjoelnir

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:42 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 106):
How does a problem that you have experienced only at JFK become a US-wide problem? Have you considered that JFK may not be representative?

I do not fly only to JFK. BOS is somewhat better but you still wait a long time. EWR is nearly as bad as JFK, last time it was four hours from landing to getting to the rent a car. Best place in the USA up to now for me has been MSP.
My possible choices on the east coast are, JFK, EWR, BOS and IAD. I have not been to IAD. Later in the year I have to go to SEA and that will be my first time there.

If you can point me to airports were immigration does not pose a problem for an Icelander, it would be nice to hear. I talk about JFK, because I land there most often and for many years. Many years ago I connected to South America via JFK , but it is a long time since I stopped that.
I also used to connected to Canada via the USA, also a thing I stopped long ago.

Cubsrule

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:48 pm

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 107):
Best place in the USA up to now for me has been MSP.My possible choices on the east coast are, JFK, EWR, BOS and IAD. I have not been to IAD. Later in the year I have to go to SEA and that will be my first time there.

PHL, ATL and CLT are the best on the east coast, I think. DTW, MSP and DEN are usually okay. LAX and SFO are hit or miss.

a380787

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:51 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 108):

PHL, ATL and CLT are the best on the east coast, I think. DTW, MSP and DEN are usually okay. LAX and SFO are hit or miss.

SFO in the morning is horrific when every single UA widebody arrive from Asia

Cubsrule

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:20 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 109):
SFO in the morning is horrific when every single UA widebody arrive from Asia

Yup, but he's coming the other way, and in my experience things calm down as the day wears on.

ikramerica

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:45 pm

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 92):
Tell me your airport experience in Europe were it took 2 hours from leaving the airplane to seeing the immigration agent.
A very common occurrence when I have to fly to JFK.

I've never experienced that wait anywhere in the world. USA or otherwise.

But I have had a 20 minute walk from the gate to the immigration area an LGW, and then because every flight arrives from the USA at once, it took close to an hour.

The longest domestic waits I can remember is LAX recently when arriving LH in the afternoon and CVG in the 90s on DL back from LGW.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ikramerica

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:54 pm

Unfortunately, for many NY centric international writers and travelers, JFK is the only thing they know, so it represents most of their experiences. Growing up in the area, we avoided JFK whenever possible because it was never a good place to arrive (departure is fine). My father used JFK a lot in the late 70s and early 80s because he flew BA and SQ a lot, but we usually flew out of EWR or LGA.

In the 1970s we were waiting at baggage claim as a family on New Years Eve at JFK and a man had a heart attack, and nobody helped right away because there were too many drunks saying he just passed out and joking "is there a doctor in the house?" No idea what happened to that guy, but that experience stuck with me. And this was before dereg where all the "common people" started flying. It only got worse from there. On vacations, we always knew we were almost home when we boarded the return flight and so many of the passengers and crew were rude because they were New York natives.

EricR

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:20 pm

Whether it takes 45 minutes or two hours to clear customs & immigration, the fact remains that passengers arriving to the U.S. from international destinations without pre-clearance have to go through a MUCH more cumbersome process. It is not a very good first impression of the U.S. for first time visitors.

mjoelnir

Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:32 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 111):
I've never experienced that wait anywhere in the world. USA or otherwise.

You also do not happen to be a foreign citizen arriving in the USA and as long everything is OK for USA citizen there is no bother, is there?

StTim

Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:24 pm

I arrived in Houston with an Amercian colleague and astoundingly I cleared immigration quicker than he did!

Escapehere

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:37 am

It's a US wide problem because the funding for officers is controlled by congress, and it's often where funding gets cut. They got a major cut in 2013. YUL and YYZ had signs in US pre-clearance apologizing for long wait times and explaining it's due to budget cuts, meaning less officers per shift. The same problem occurred at CA-US land borders.

Although some airports are worse than others due to the volume and nature of the traffic, the fact immigration officers are first on the chopping block for budget cuts shows the US government doesn't see providing passengers a quick experience as a priority. Of course this is totally within their rights, but US lines on average are the worst I've ever experienced. They're just not staffed enough. It's not uncommon to arrive into a massive hall with 30-50 counters, with only 4-6 of them actually having staff working. That's fine when you have a few 737s arriving per hour - but not when a lot of A380s and 747s have just arrived from Asia and Australia.

My longest waits seem to be at LAX and MIA (admittedly haven't been to LAX since the new TBIT, so I'm not sure if it's improved with that).

mayor

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:43 am

Quoting EricR (Reply 113):
Whether it takes 45 minutes or two hours to clear customs & immigration, the fact remains that passengers arriving to the U.S. from international destinations without pre-clearance have to go through a MUCH more cumbersome process. It is not a very good first impression of the U.S. for first time visitors.

However, as I recall, we were talking about pax TRANSITTING the U.S., not those that have the U.S. as a destination.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

ozglobal

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:54 am

Quoting ozglobal (Reply 80):

The funniest part of international transit via the US when I have done it is the conversation with Boarder Security:

For info, I travel on an Australian passport:

- "What's the nature of your visit?"

- As written on my arrival card: "In Transit" and I reach for the boarding pass of my connecting International flight

- "So is it business or pleasure"? - "Neither, I'm in transit. Here is the boarding pass for the next international flight, which leaves at x time."

- "So how long do you intend to stay in the US?" "I don't intend to stay, my next flight is in 2hrs."

- "You've done this before." "Yes, several times."

- "Why would you want to do this?" ... and I ask myself the same question...

Then there's the case where I'm not only transiting internationally via the US, but am doing so on a round the world itinerary. Boy does THAT blow some transistors!!

Arriving from SYD at SFO having had the standard conversation above with Immigration, then checking in for my connecting flight to Europe, the check-in assistant of the airline from whom I PURCHASED the round the world ticket challenges:

"You're flying on a one way ticket." "No it's a round the world ticket, this is my next sector."

"I only have this one way flight on record." "OK, but your airline sold me the ticket. If you look in the booking, you must be able to see the full itinerary."

She issue the boarding pass, with very large red "S"s on it. I soon understand what that means.

An additional 90 mins of Gitmo style treatment where your every movement, gesture and response are aggressively controlled by serious security agents. The slightest wrong move, like touching your belongings when being questioned about them, and they restart the entire process again.

How did I feel about this:

- fortunately, I was very early for my flight or would have missed it totally (for their error)
- on the one hand I was impressed by the quality of the screening process; the normal stuff is just theatre
- the others with me fitted the profile of stereotypical 'terrorists', but of course were probably innocent too
- I was shocked that US airports and staff are still so clueless about the international travel scene and that concepts like international transit and round the world ticket through them in to panic

When I arrived at the lounge, the staff were horrified about the story and had my full itinerary at their fingertips without prompting.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

mjoelnir

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:05 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 117):
However, as I recall, we were talking about pax TRANSITTING the U.S., not those that have the U.S. as a destination.

We were all the time talking about both.

LH707330

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:47 am

Quoting SFOA380 (Reply 65):
As for the numerous comments about the lack of respect shown to foreign-bound travelers to the USA... I am an executive in the tourism industry and I could tell you stories about how I have been treated by the British, French, Canadians, Australians, etc. that would make your skin crawl. Of course being an intelligent individual I know that these are isolated incidents. All countries produce rude people and we are certainly no exception.

Indeed, the question is "what percent of them are rude?" In my recent experience, TSA and CBP have been nicer. What I think pisses travelers off, and in turn the agents who deal with them, are the useless forms and questions that are completely useless and slow down the process.

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 68):

Quoting infinit (Reply 64):
The security officers are rude, rash and treat everyone like a terrotist.

You obviously don't spend a lot of time in the States (or spend it in the wrong places). I'd say I have truly bad experiences with TSA 2-5 percent of the time and good experiences half or more of the time.

Try flying with a non-US passport. When I fly domestic and use my drivers license, I rarely get harassed. Pull out the German passport (or any other), and the story changes. I've done both. My favorite story was back in high school, I was traveling with a bunch of American classmates. I'm the one who gets pulled out of line before they even opened my passport. "Gee, shucks, this one ain't blue, let's screen him." Sure enough, I was in the special line with all the others who had non-US passports....

Quoting Escapehere (Reply 72):

I get what you're saying, and of course every country has their jerks. No debate there. Across the board Americans are generally pretty nice people.

But put them in an airport, with some kind of position of authority, and the situation changes considerably. It is clearly an institutionalized problem, because the rest of the world isn't kidding when they say how much they dislike going through US airports and dealing with their authorities - it's something you'll hear worldwide from just about anyone who isn't American, but has had to travel through it a few times. The only thing I can think of for the reason for this is:

1. Since 911, US "security" have been trained to act like jerks to passengers.
2. The American public have largely been conditioned that such behaviour is appropriate, i.e. they will tell you what to do, you will shutup and do it.

Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone, I've met a some very nice TSA agents. But across the board, there does seem to be a serious institutional problem within the TSA (and to a lesser extent CBP). Maybe Americans have just become so immune to it they don't even notice it?

I think paranoia is a big part of it. Police in the US are also much more gruff than in many other OECD countries, though to be fair, most of the US cops expect the average Joe to be carrying a gun.

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 101):
I would definitely put security at the hands of private industry ahead of a government agency. Private industry would have to meet or exceed standards while government has far less accountability.

This is what it was like pre-9/11. The private companies had about a 90% success rate. The TSA didn't even publish theirs for the longest time, makes you wonder....

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 107):
I do not fly only to JFK. BOS is somewhat better but you still wait a long time. EWR is nearly as bad as JFK, last time it was four hours from landing to getting to the rent a car. Best place in the USA up to now for me has been MSP.
My possible choices on the east coast are, JFK, EWR, BOS and IAD. I have not been to IAD. Later in the year I have to go to SEA and that will be my first time there.

SEA is fine as long as you take the afternoon flight, it's great outside the lunch rush.

Quoting EricR (Reply 113):

Yeah, it is really annoying. Whenever I fly to Europe, I land, go through passport control where they quickly scan my passport and say "moin" or "bonjour," then I'm back on my way. Customs is just going through the green line, simple. Going the other way, I have to fill out the stupid immigration form, answer stupid questions about it ("No, I don't have any poutine, your colleague back there asked me the same question and wrote this symbol on my form..."), get my fingerprints taken for the 20th time that the NSA already has 100 backups of, then get in another line afterwards to drop off the form that nobody will read anyway. It's a waste of my time and everyone else's. That useless circus is what's annoying everyone.

usdcaguy

Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:39 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 41):
I thought the only bags taken from you were the ones that were tagged thru to your destination or has that changed, too?

It used to be that bags were taken from you and sent to the bag claim near the check-in counters. However, that has changed since they built the new international terminal (which was poorly designed in terms of function given its very limited number of gates and lack of direct access to MARTA and the rental car facility).

enilria

Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:56 pm

Quoting pnd100 (Thread starter):
FROM THE ARTICLE:

Two years ago in a CNN poll of 1,200 overseas business travelers who have visited the United States, a full 20% said they would not visit the United States again due to onerous entry procedures at airports, including long processing lines. Forty-three percent said they would discourage others from visiting the United States. Separately, in a copy of Air Line Pilot magazine, US Chamber of Commerce counsel Carol Hallett stated that “the United States risks falling behind Asia, the Middle East, and Europe as the global aviation leader.”

The USA is the most manic about immigration and security of any country.

Give us your rich, your rule-followers, your iPhone users; yearning to leave in no more than a week.

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 4):
Traveling through an ITI airport (or without checked bags) and with Global Entry, it's easily possible to be back airside within 30 minutes.

Not if you checked bags. Because of arrival screening of bags before they hit the bag belt it takes longer now to get your bags than it does to process Immigration via the new kiosks.

Quoting Natflyer (Reply 5):

Airports and facilities in the US used to be top of the line. In the 70's. It's pretty much been downhill from there.
The biggest problem today is the CBP.

It's not the airports except in MIA/JFK. It's really DHS:CBP/TSA.

enilria

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:02 pm

Quoting pnd100 (Thread starter):
The United States of America may have pioneered commercial aviation, but today the crossroads of global air commerce are places like Dubai,
Quoting asetiadi (Reply 48):
It's gonna take a heck load of money to build 20 likes Dubai Airport to be put in the US.

IDK about you, but going through DXB border control is worse than entering the USA if you only have carry-ons. I've waited 90 minutes in Dubai to get through Immigration. CDG is also awful and I've had to process Immigration even when just connecting through between two other regions of the World through CDG.

Cubsrule

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:15 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 122):
Not if you checked bags.

But at an ITI airport, transit passengers never see checked bags.

eaglepower83

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:51 pm

Quoting Escapehere (Reply 60):
This is where the US really falls short. I feel in the US, once someone is given some kind of badge of authority, it's culturally accepted that said person now has the right to carry on and act as rudely as they like and basically be a jerk to everyone. And that's OK, because it's "for security".

In Australia, if one of the airport security people started carrying on, abusing and belittling passengers like your typical TSA agent does, I would not only tell them to pull their head out of their ass, but I'd ask to speak to their manager and lodge a formal complaint. Being security is not a license to act like a tool. But, if I did this in the US I'd probably be arrested and go through hours of interrogation and god knows what else in a dark room - just for daring to ask someone to be polite a respectful. No doubt I'd probably be blacklisted from ever going into the country again. Maybe the average US citizen thinks this is just fine, but I don't think it's acceptable.
Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 94):

I was talking not about TSA, I was talking about international travelers coming to the USA, that means passing through immigration and customs as a foreign citizen.

Being 'Murican.....I have to sadly agree. There's really been an uptick in "guilty until proven innocent" mentality in the past decade. It's in our tv shows, it's in our law enforcement, the citizenry is getting more complacent with it as it further polarizes. It's that inherent 'Murican cowboy mentality. When they put a badge on, some people are inflated with a false sense of authority over others.

With that said, the one time I've gone through US Immigration returning from the Caribbean, the US Customs staff were the grumpiest, most unpleasant people I've interacted with in air travel to date.
TSA.....90% of the time are rather pleasant, though sometimes gruff with inflated egos, they've usually been polite to my face.

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 63):
The sad thing is that there are absolutely NO new airports under construction or even under serious consideration in the US. Congress needs to quit fighting about Obama care and voting for the fifty-something time to abolish it and pay attention to INFRASTRUCTURE.

However, for years, Illinois political factions have been battling to build a 3rd Chicago area airport in Peotone, IL.......an airport nobody wants! It's too far outside the city and suburbs to be passenger convenient. And it's way too close to ORD and MDW for airlines to deem it worth supporting.

We really are. Our politicians and media would have you think the US/Mexican border is a war zone with browns and ISIS trying to clamor across the border. But actual residents and border agents (who are honest about their work) will contest that the southern border is decently secure already with illegal immigration being only a minor issue compared to what it was 10yrs ago when we actually had a good economy and jobs.
The US has always been alarmingly xenophobic. Look how the immigrants from Europe were treated 50-90 years ago. They were vilified just as badly as brown people are today.
SO this is nothing new here.

enilria

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:25 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 4):
Traveling through an ITI airport (or without checked bags) and with Global Entry, it's easily possible to be back airside within 30 minutes.

Not if you checked bags. Because of arrival screening of bags before they hit the bag belt it takes longer now to get your bags than it does to process Immigration via the new kiosks.
Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 124):
ut at an ITI airport, transit passengers never see checked bags.

What ITI airport has Global Entry?

Cubsrule

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:27 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 126):
What ITI airport has Global Entry?

All of them AFAIK.

ikramerica

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:33 pm

The Canadians are more lax about transit even when you are entering the country. On a flight into Vancouver the immigration was asking all sorts of questions until they asked how long were we staying. When I said just long enough to get to the cruise ship, they said "have a nice trip". That was that. And I was cleared to enter the country and disappear at that point.

All so I can take a bus through Vancouver to the ship terminal, then pre screen back into the USA to enter a ship that never again goes international, all to avoid the archaic US cruise ship regulations.

mayor

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:37 pm

Even more than Israel?  

JAAlbert

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:46 pm

The author must not have visited SAN recently (or he flew in on SWA and ended up in the circle of death that is terminal 1). We have a brand spanking new terminal 2 that is pretty cool - lounges are great, lots of windows, the departure entrance to the airport is spectacular and just about the nicest arrivals hall/baggage claim I've ever seen in any airport. The airport is now discussing plans to tear down the ancient and punitive terminal one and replace it with something equally impressive.

OO-VEG

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:28 pm

It's not so much the terminals, after all there are some really beautifull airports to fly into... DEN, SFO, MCO. I enjoy not being in a totally glas & steel construction as all these airports look-a-like.

No the US airports are failing on their procedures, just like the article reads... its long and tedious. Partially due to the heavy security and ESTA procedures. But for some reason the queues are longer then anywhere else you go. Europe is not that much better in many instances, but the US just tops it off with their lengthy procedures.

For me ATL is best in class (for transit), the immigration is very quick, international to international flights don't require to pick-up your bag resulting in transfers under 30 minutes being possible.

Escapehere

Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:35 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 128):

The Canadians are more lax about transit even when you are entering the country.

In my experience Canadian Immigration seem 90% concerned about duty free allowances. They don't care who you are or what you're doing, but if you've exceeded the duty free limit or bringing gifts for friends in Canada, look out - they want their tax money.

Superfly

Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:46 am

Quoting OO-VEG (Reply 131):
No the US airports are failing on their procedures, just like the article reads... its long and tedious. Partially due to the heavy security and ESTA procedures. But for some reason the queues are longer then anywhere else you go. Europe is not that much better in many instances, but the US just tops it off with their lengthy procedures.

Also the incredibly large amount of staff that are outsourced that simply do not give a damn because they don't have a stake in the company/agency they represent. Airline ground crew, airport staff an even customs/TSA use outsourced personnel. All they get is an hourly paycheck an their job assignment can end at any given time for no reason.

Quoting EaglePower83 (Reply 125):
Being 'Murican.....I have to sadly agree. There's really been an uptick in "guilty until proven innocent" mentality in the past decade. It's in our tv shows, it's in our law enforcement, the citizenry is getting more complacent with it as it further polarizes.

You are spot on with this and it's really disgusting. However I wouldn't call it; "cowboy mentality". It's quite the opposite actually. A cowboy wouldn't give a damn if you have a flask of whiskey in your suitcase. It's the heavy-handed, statist, nanny-state, government knows best mentality.

We're better off flying in to Mexico, sneaking across the boarder an then the US government will treat you much better with free housing, free food, free healthcare, free school, free transportation, driver's license, etc.
Come in to the US legally an you get treated like a criminal.
Ok rant over!   
Bring back the Concorde

eaglepower83

Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:28 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 133):
We're better off flying in to Mexico, sneaking across the boarder an then the US government will treat you much better with free housing, free food, free healthcare, free school, free transportation, driver's license, etc.
Come in to the US legally an you get treated like a criminal.

I have to disagree with this statement.
There was a lengthy NPR episode about this a while back, because of the misconception of illegals getting all this free stuff. They tracked down and interviewed a bunch of illegal immigrants.
They said they try to actually stay off the radar as much as possible. Sure, there are isolated cases of those who have certain connections or can game a local system.
But as a whole....other than maybe putting their kids in the local school (which if they're born here, ARE citizens who may go to school), or maybe go to the emergency room once in a while.....they don't get anything from the government. Unless they're the rare ones who paid a hefty fee for a bootlegged social security number, or outright steal, they don't have credentials to get government benefits.

^ I know that's not aviation related. But I had to clear it up.

Superfly

Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:22 pm

Quoting EaglePower83 (Reply 134):
^ I know that's not aviation related. But I had to clear it up.

Nothing to clear up. You are entitled to your opinion....

Quoting Escapehere (Reply 132):
In my experience Canadian Immigration seem 90% concerned about duty free allowances.

That has been my experience as well at Canadian airports. Never had that issue crossing in to Canada over land.
Bring back the Concorde

Matt6461

Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:26 pm

I don't expect the airports issue to get better, though immigration treatment might. Obama has ordered a lot of reforms recently...

A big problem is that our airlines have become so focused on capacity discipline that they probably don't want more runways. They'rd prefer slot scarcity and high barriers to entry.

OO-VEG

Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:04 pm

Essentially this way of processing passengers will make the US not favourite for a transit airport. In theory a good airport expansion at Nassau could be a good alternative for an airline to set up a hub system for Africa/EU to Latam traffic (and if they are good enough, surely they can offer some one-stop connections into the US).

turbineseaplane

Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:31 pm

I feel lucky to travel out of KBOI all the time (not international, I know). Other than the lackluster food choices, it's usually the most pleasant US airport I go through.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos