CyberEntomology
Topic Author

ICT Name Change Official

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:58 am

After showing up on the latest A/FD and sectionals, the name change from "Wichita Mid-Continent Airport" to "Dwight D Eisenhower National Airport " was made official this morning with the unveiling by president Eisenhower's granddaughter of a new logo. Signage and website will remain the same for now, at least until the new ACT3 terminal is opened later this spring.

KICT/ICT designation will also remain, however, but I wouldn't be surprised if there will eventually be a push to at least change the IATA code to IKE (although I don't see them doing ICAO to KIKE for obvious reasons)

http://www.kansas.com/news/business/aviation/article8152866.html

ginger727

RE: ICT Name Change Official

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:30 am

You can rest assured that the airport will not try to change the ICT or KICT codes. While there are some "civilians" or other members of the public or media who continually raise the issue, it will not be pursued by the airport authority.

lightsaber

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:45 am

This is an excellent new name. Kudos to ICT for the change.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

mayor

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:20 am

How about a code change to DDE and just use the nickname "IKE"?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

737tdi

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:30 am

Just a small mistake but North Texas Regional Airport (GYI) should have been named after "IKE" since he was born in Denison, Texas.     . He always claimed Kansas as home though.

KCmike

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:50 am

Hey now, Ike is ours!

I like the name change. Im excited about flying into Eisenhower National sometime soon.
Cleared for the option...

bjorn14

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:16 pm

IKE sure beats ICT. Hopefully the locals start calling it Ike.

It appears IKE is available from IATA.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

B2468

Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:07 pm

I've never liked naming things (streets, buildings, airports, etc...) after people, especially politicians. Too much room for controversy. I have some family members who still refer to JFK as Idlewild, they hated the Kennedys so much.

My hometown was home to a teacher who was killed at Sandy Hook, and while what she did was heroic and worthy of being memorialized, at least a dozen things in town have been renamed after her, and every single time there were arguments and lots of back-and-forth among the people of town ("how come *my* hero doesn't get a school named after him?") 

In my unsolicited opinion, airports should be named according to their location, like airports in China.

That being said, President Eisenhower was a great man, and tonight I shall raise a drink to him and the City of Wichita!   

IKE for Wichita!   
CNC/DH4/ERJ/306/310/319/320/332/333/343/346/388/72S/731/732/733/734/73G/738/741/744/74E/752/762/763/77E/77W/D95/D1C/M82

FATFlyer

Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:50 pm

Quoting CyberEntomology (Thread starter):
KICT/ICT designation will also remain, however, but I wouldn't be surprised if there will eventually be a push to at least change the IATA code to IKE (although I don't see them doing ICAO to KIKE for obvious reasons)

Unlikely they will get the code changed.

Fresno Air Terminal (FAT) was renamed Fresno Yosemite International back in 1996. Airport management tried to change the code to FYI but was turned down. Locals and area media use FYI as an abbreviation but officially it still carries the FAT code.

Think about other airports that were renamed, even for Presidents. Locations like LIT, DCA, IAH, SNA, BUR, etc. kept their old codes even after a renaming.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

SFOThinker

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:44 pm

Quoting B2468 (Reply 7):

I would note that before he was president Ike was Supreme Commander of Allied Forces in World War Two. I am not a big fan of naming public facilities for politicians, but war heroes are much better to honor

B2468

Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:31 am

Quoting SFOThinker (Reply 9):
I would note that before he was president Ike was Supreme Commander of Allied Forces in World War Two. I am not a big fan of naming public facilities for politicians, but war heroes are much better to honor

Oh, I absolutely agree that Eisenhower was a war hero, and I admire him greatly both as a General and President. It is just I think that most folks of my generation associate Eisenhower with the Presidency, rather than being Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces. I've also known people that quite dislike Eisenhower, both as a General and as a President.

Nevertheless, my point is that I just don't like naming facilities like airports after people. Sure, Eisenhower was a superlative war hero. So were thousands of other men and women in WWII. Where are their airports? I just think that there are better ways to memorialize heroic figures than naming airports after them.

My    .
CNC/DH4/ERJ/306/310/319/320/332/333/343/346/388/72S/731/732/733/734/73G/738/741/744/74E/752/762/763/77E/77W/D95/D1C/M82

alfa164

Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:58 am

"I like Ike"... well, I guess that has already been used...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

davs5032

Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:14 am

Quoting B2468 (Reply 10):

Quoting SFOThinker (Reply 9):

Oh, I absolutely agree that Eisenhower was a war hero, and I admire him greatly both as a General and President. It is just I think that most folks of my generation associate Eisenhower with the Presidency, rather than being Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces. I've also known people that quite dislike Eisenhower, both as a General and as a President.

Nevertheless, my point is that I just don't like naming facilities like airports after people. Sure, Eisenhower was a superlative war hero. So were thousands of other men and women in WWII. Where are their airports? I just think that there are better ways to memorialize heroic figures than naming airports after them.

It differs based who you're talking about and the situation/location involved. In KS, we're a smaller state that's often overlooked and quite literally overflown. Because of this, we have a certain pride and unity in showcasing our state's significant contributions to the nation. So when one of our native sons occupies the highest office in the land and is the heroic leader during our nation's proudest hour, we tend to boast!   Politics, etc don't really enter the picture at all.

Ike was actually born near Dallas before his family moved to Kansas in his infancy. His presidential museum in Abilene is enjoyable - worth a visit if you're ever in the area. Arguably, his greatest achievement as president is the Interstate Highway System which bears his name and is one of the better public work projects in US history.

Art at ISP

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:58 am

Not to be a negative Nellie here, but I don't think they will change the station designator to IKE. If you add the K indicating a US field, the combination becomes offensive to some people.

Just sayin'......

737tdi

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:15 am

Quoting davs5032 (Reply 12):
So when one of our native sons occupies the highest office in the land and is the heroic leader during our nation's proudest hour, we tend to boast!

But really, he is not a native ?Kansonian, Kanosonite, oh yeah Kansan??? To be native you have to be born in that location, area. If you aren't born there then you are not native. I am a native Texan (born Dallas TX.) but moved to Oklahoma at a young age, I root for the Sooners. I am not and never will be an Oklahoma native. Dwight David Eisenhower is a native of Texas, where he was born and where he lived the first of his life. Sorry about being Anal but I would bet you would argue with your best buddy if he were born in MO. and claimed KS..

bjorn14

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:41 am

at least change the IATA code to IKE (although I don't see them doing ICAO to KIKE for obvious reasons)

DDE is of German ancestory and he did beat the Germans in WWII. Just saying....
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

enilria

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:13 pm

After showing up on the latest A/FD and sectionals, the name change from "Wichita Mid-Continent Airport" to "Dwight D Eisenhower National Airport " was made official this morning with the unveiling by president Eisenhower's granddaughter of a new logo. Signage and website will remain the same for now, at least until the new ACT3 terminal is opened later this spring.

I'm tired of this trend. Can't we name the airports after something other than Presidents and must we stuff the word "International" (National in this case?) in there every time? I get it, even the most podunk airport is connected to the international airspace system even if they only have a cargo charter to Toronto in alternating months.

How about Wichita Elevation Airport?
or
Little Rock Getaway Airport?
or
Washington Capitol Airport?
or
San Jose Gateway Airport?

Then passengers could say "I'm flying out of Getaway on Wednesday." Does anybody ever utter the words "I'm flying through Norman Mineta on Friday"?

[Edited 2015-01-28 06:15:33]

GSPSPOT

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:15 pm

I like Wichita and ICT. Hate to see the word "Midcontinent" dropped from another airport's name. Didn't Kansas City's original (downtown) airport also have that name? What's with re-naming airports anyway? I mean, I can see it if a city builds an entirely new airport in a new location. But otherwise I say leave well enough alone.

[Edited 2015-01-28 06:16:24]

[Edited 2015-01-28 06:18:29]
Great Lakes, great life.

GSPSPOT

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:20 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 16):
...and must we stuff the word "International" (National in this case?) in there every time? I get it, even the most podunk airport is connected to the international airspace system even if they only have a cargo charter to Toronto in alternating months.

I believe it refers to an airport having customs and/or immigration processing facilities available, regardless of how often they may be used.
Great Lakes, great life.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos