Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Traviskuhn4
Topic Author

Big Announcement At CVG Today (1/28)

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:15 pm

Will it be Jet Blue? Rumors in Cincinnati say it could be WestJet.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/...to-announce-new-cincinnati-service

jfklganyc

RE: Big Announcement At CVG Today (1/28)

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:18 pm

I don't think it's B6. They are still recovering their NYC operation today and their BOS operation is still shut down.

No way they would be in CVG announcing new service during an emergency weather/operation situation

Traviskuhn4
Topic Author

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:25 pm

They just updated the story and it looks like the new airline is Branson AirExpress...

N766UA

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:35 pm

Quoting Traviskuhn4 (Reply 2):

Which isn't actually an airline... boy that's a bit disappointing for cvg.

enilria

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:20 pm

Quoting Traviskuhn4 (Reply 2):

They just updated the story and it looks like the new airline is Branson AirExpress...

I think that's cool, but "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT" was a CNN style hyperbole.

jetpixx

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:43 pm

Branson Air Express is the BIG announcement? Really. That's like having a press conference to announce your local airline has a new non-stop to Charleston, WV. Wow. Much ado about nothing.
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, BWI, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LAX, LGA, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR

RJNUT

Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:20 pm

New Orleans to Branson is also in the mix..also it appears Branson to Orlando and Cancun is in the works with Orange Air (this is all from the Branson air Express website)

N766UA

Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:29 pm

So where will they be flying to? Branson? Cuuuuz that would be practically useless.

Hopefully they go to an actual destination, if for no other reason than to add competition.

SunsetLimited

Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:34 pm

CVG-BKG-MSY same plane service and MSY-CUN will be operated by Orange Air MD-83 aircraft.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...n-new-orleans-cincinnati/22464219/

[Edited 2015-01-28 08:37:51]
Spread hope like fire.

burchfiel

Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:46 pm

Quoting SunsetLimited (Reply 9):
CVG-BKG-MSY same plane service and MSY-CUN will be operated by Orange Air MD-83 aircraft.

Two stops from CVG to CUN?
Why on earth would someone choose that (unless they were an aviation buff)?

lpdal

Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:56 pm

Quoting Burchfiel (Reply 10):
Why on earth would someone choose that (unless they were an aviation buff)?

Lower prices. People who purchase vacation packages generally don't have much financial leeway, so this is a boon to them.

Still, I don't endorse this "pretend airline operated by another carrier" concept, and I really think the FAA should outlaw it. This method is to try and get around getting Part 121 AOCs, and has ended in disaster with several thousand people stranded around the country (see the DirectAir and PeoplExpress fiascoes).

I wish people would stop trying to start airlines in the USA domestic market. There's literally no money to be made and way too many 800-pound gorillas in the sector.

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

SunsetLimited

Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:56 pm

I have no idea if CVG-CUN is bookable. If it is, I can't see many people taking it. That being said, I probably would.  
Spread hope like fire.

lpdal

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:00 pm

Quoting SunsetLimited (Reply 12):
I have no idea if CVG-CUN is bookable. If it is, I can't see many people taking it. That being said, I probably would.

Looks like DL CVG-CUN-CVG is only SEAS. That said, I'd still rather take DL than Branson Air Express. At least I won't be stuck in Mexico and called an armchair quarterback when they suspend service!   

I kid, I kid....

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

Osubuckeyes

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 11):
I don't endorse this "pretend airline operated by another carrier" concept

How is it any different then Skywest and others operating DL connection flights?

I wish people would stop trying to start airlines in the USA domestic market. There's literally no money to be made and way too many 800-pound gorillas in the sector.

That is an unfortunate point of view.

SunsetLimited

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:10 pm

Yeah, obviously there are quite a few better, more direct, and probably more reliable ways of going from CVG to CUN...indeed, this new flight can be booked as a two-stop, same plane service. It looks like the intro fares to CUN are $199 each way, which is actually not a bad price. They might get a few stragglers, but it will certainly make for a long travel day.
Spread hope like fire.

N766UA

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:10 pm

Quoting osubuckeyes (Reply 14):

I guess the difference is that Delta is a real airline, with jets of its own. PeopleExpress was a website and an (unlit, garbage filled) office.

flyguy89

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:20 pm

Snore.

Every little bit helps though, I suppose.

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 5):
Frankly, I don't get the obsession over CVG.

Well it's a good thing your reading and posting in a thread about CVG then, eh?  

Frankly I don't get the obsession over endlessly running threads about PIT and CLE, but I can understand that local A.net fans in those markets being excited and interested in their local airports. We get it, you don't like CVG. You've flown through CVG a grand total of one time and were there only a couple hours, your experience and resulting conclusions are not representative.

lpdal

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:28 pm

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 17):
We get it, you don't like CVG.

You mean "I", not "we".

Never stated I didn't like CVG, and never said any of my opinions were anymore 'authorative' than anyone elses' viewpoints here.

It's the way it is. The airline industry is a penny margin business, and there is no money to be made in it. The only startups still around are JetBlue, Allegiant, and Virgin America.

Before anyone cries out "But Colby, we need competition to ensure fair business practices and lower prices!" Well guess what? The American consumer created the three huge legacies and non competitive market, not the corporations, by demanding lower prices. Airlines answered with consolidation. The consumers have only themselves to blame for the oligopoly of the three legacies. But if you save a few nickels it must be okay! Forget Continental, forget Northwest, forget US Airways, forget America West. As long as I save $50 , then who could care less about all those guys?

CVG's current state is due to little non-ULCC competition on routes and Delta's high prices. Thus, as I stated before, people flee elsewhere to lower priced airports. For those who cannot use NRST airports, they take a bus, drive, or a train. Or they just don't travel at all. But notice the common problem here: the consumer. The consumer is the reason for CVG's lack of business and emptiness. No customers, no business. If prices are too high, customers flee.

Thanks for discussing my flying habits though. Yup, only once flew through CVG. I've flown through FLL nearly a thousand times, does that make me an expert on FLL? Not at all! But I never claimed my opinions were that of an expert, or that I was an expert myself.

How is it any different then Skywest and others operating DL connection flights?

I'm not even going to answer that. Comparing apples to watermelons...

-LPDAL

[Edited 2015-01-28 09:32:02]

[Edited 2015-01-28 09:41:52]

Osubuckeyes

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:38 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 18):
It's the way it is. The airline industry is a penny margin business, and there is no money to be made in it. The only startups still around are JetBlue, Allegiant, and Virgin America.

Record profits are being reported across the industry, and you say there is no money to be made and nobody should even try. That is a very cynical view of the industry. Furthermore, marketplace competition should be encouraged in our economy not discouraged. Massive barriers to entry and discouragement only further contribute towards trends of monopolistic practices, which labors and consumers alike should be worried about.

I'm not even going to answer that. Comparing apples to watermelons...

Why not? Skywest isn't really DL? Skywest isn't a "real airline".

dc10lover

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:47 pm

Acccording To The Article:

"The airport announced Branson AirExpress will offer local flights to Branson, New Orleans , and Cancun, Mexico"

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/...to-announce-new-cincinnati-service
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

eastern747

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:47 pm

Be careful Colby! There are alot of people out there awaiting EASTERN. I honestly believe they are doing it the right way. Small steps first, and you know Cuba will be in the mix. BTW, I know you are school, but you look into applying to them for a job, or part time. FLL and PBI will eventually be there, too. AND you know station codes. My first week of training back then, was learning station codes. LOLOLOLOLOL

flyguy89

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:59 pm

Never stated I didn't like CVG

You certainly never miss an opportunity get in a dig about it.

Quoting DC10LOVER (Reply 20):
Acccording To The Article:

"The airport announced Branson AirExpress will offer local flights to Branson, New Orleans , and Cancun, Mexico"

The Enquirer did the same, however they've since corrected. I honestly didn't even realize they were still around. Didn't they also try IND for a stint. I just can't imagine anyone paying any appreciable amount to fly to Branson...it's where all the church groups and senior homes bus to.

Shields

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:06 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 5):
Frankly, I don't get the obsession over CVG. I went there and it isn't really anything to write home about. Just a huge, overbuilt and empty/ghostly airport.

Overbuilt is not the word I would use to describe CVG, which in 2005 had nearly 600 daily flights. Although the number of daily flights at CVG has since declined, there was a point at which, during peak times, every gate was occupied in concourses A, B, and C.

lpdal

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:15 pm

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 22):

You certainly never miss an opportunity get in a dig about it.

Because I'm not blinded by love for any one entity and that, like everything in life, CVG has its own set of advantages and caveats.

I'll be the first to admit that I love United the most out of the big three. However, when necessary, I'll also get digs in about them as well. Their lounges are dirty and their food is insubstantial. The 738s have ashtrays that have been crudely bolted down. Then they have the proliferation of regional jets etc etc. But again, pluses and minuses.

CVG isn't that bad, to be honest. Nice and quiet, very senior ground staff, great SkyClub. That doesn't mean that it is without flaws, and that those flaws aren't allowed to be pointed out on a subsequent discussion about the airport.

Finally, as a side note, I'd like to point out, broadly speaking that "The Good Old Days" are often exaggerated by people with rose tinted glasses and too much nostalgia. If you went back to the point where CVG had 600 flights a day, you'd find that there would be just as many problems with it as today, but not any better or worse. They would be just different problems, not necessarily varying in severity in comparison to the issues the airport is facing present-day.

-LPDAL

[Edited 2015-01-28 10:26:30]

N766UA

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:16 pm

Quoting Shields (Reply 23):

Yeah CVG was packed back in the day. Terminal 1/2 was abysmal, worse than the crappiest subway station, but I always enjoyed Delta's side of the house. Flew through there a lot back when I worked for DAL.

And seriously, Branson? Who under 80 wants to go to Branson? Oh boy! Yakov's Dinner Adventure!!

MIflyer12

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:33 pm

Quoting EASTERN747 (Reply 21):
There are alot of people out there awaiting EASTERN.

I'm gonna call BS on that. Nobody but a very few investors cares. The total number people 'awaiting EASTERN' could probably fit into the Small Function Room in a Norfolk Holiday Inn.

Soros and JetBlue showed how to do it: a big, underserved airport; backers in Congress; big and fast fueled by a big pile of money.

capri

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:14 pm

I feel sorry for those wasted runways at CVG

runningonempty

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:36 pm

Who are you? Seriously? (And I say this in the nicest way possible) Are you the guy with hundreds of millions that wants to invest in a new airline. Maybe this man, business, or whatever has a new way of viewing the industry. It's a shame that you can't find capitalism in aviation, but many others would strongly disagree. It's America, if someone wants to start an airline, power to them! There are a ton of regulations and maybe they need a few more for the one's trying to outdo the system, but seriously, this is America, and it is what each of us makes of it.

flyguy89

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:31 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 24):
Because I'm not blinded by love for any one entity and that

Nor am I, but that doesn't mean you have to be obnoxious about your dislike for it.

Quoting capri (Reply 27):
I feel sorry for those wasted runways at CVG

Don't feel too sorry, DHL gets plenty of use out of them!

seatback

Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:13 pm

quote=LPDAL,reply=5]Given all the hubbub about CVG, and the fact that someone will start a topic about the most mundane or minor happenings at CVG, I was expecting something exciting when I arrived. Come to find out the place is actually a gigantic ghost town.

Frankly, I don't get the obsession over CVG. I went there and it isn't really anything to write home about. Just a huge, overbuilt and empty/ghostly airport.[/quote]
Who says the obsession comes from the terminals?

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 17):
Frankly I don't get the obsession over endlessly running threads about PIT and CLE, but I can understand that local A.net fans in those markets being excited and interested in their local airports.

I think there are two primary reasons why CVG garners as much attention as it does. First, the airport serves as a Delta hub that
has been suffering a death of a thousands cuts since 2005. Since it's been so long, conversation has been fueled for years.
Secondly, a city the size of Cincinnati still hasn't been able to attract a true LCC. God knows why. JetBlue and Southwest
continue to overlook the market which is odd. I can't believe that a market like Albany (B6 just announced), GRR are better
and stronger markets than CVG.

flyguy89

Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:32 pm

Quoting seatback (Reply 33):
I can't believe that a market like Albany (B6 just announced), GRR are better
and stronger markets than CVG.

Preach! More seriously though, it was disappointing when WN chose to remain in DAY, however their operations in DAY have continued to decline and wither. It's interesting that CVG saw a net gain of 300K passengers in 2014 while DAY experienced a decline by around the same amount.

Shields

Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:31 pm

Quoting Runningonempty (Reply 28):
Who are you? Seriously? (And I say this in the nicest way possible) Are you the guy with hundreds of millions that wants to invest in a new airline. Maybe this man, business, or whatever has a new way of viewing the industry. It's a shame that you can't find capitalism in aviation, but many others would strongly disagree. It's America, if someone wants to start an airline, power to them! There are a ton of regulations and maybe they need a few more for the one's trying to outdo the system, but seriously, this is America, and it is what each of us makes of it.

In LPDAL's defense, I'm not sure what the rationale is behind air service from Cincinnati to Branson, even acknowledging that the flight continues on to New Orleans. Notably, Allegiant is now flying twice weekly from CVG to MSY. That aside, I admire the owner's audacity to serve these markets!

Branson has struggled to retain air service (WN and FL have left the market) to markets far larger--and with far greater feed--than Cincinnati. Is it conceivable that the vast majority of visitors to Branson hail from rural communities, none of which in their own right are large enough to sustain air service to the city.

Homer Simpson once said that Branson is what Las Vegas would be like if it were run by Ned Flanders. This is not to knock Branson--I'm sure it is a fun place--but it seems like the tourists might be so dispersed across the Lower Midwest and Deep South that air service to the city is not economically feasible.

FWAERJ

Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:33 pm

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 22):
Didn't they also try IND for a stint.

They did. IND-BKG lasted only two months and had 10-15% LFs. With LFs like that and EV ER4s being used on it, I bet the yields were really nasty too. Of course, the fact that Branson is a seven-hour all-four-lane drive from Indy had a lot to do with it as well.

I'm sure this will do really bad at CVG as well. Yes, CVG has high fares, but fly-by-night public charters have never been the solution to high fares or lack of service. Just ask all the airports burned by Direct Air and unable to get replacement service, management at GYY (which saw its fair share of public charters), or the people at PHF foreclosing on and evicting the PEOPLExpress offices. Fortunately, CVG still has the DL hub (albeit much smaller now), F9, G4, and DHL, so even if this service fails, there will probably be little to no financial loss for CVG. For the airports that were banking on Direct Air-induced revivals, that wasn't the case except for airports that got replacement G4 service like PGD, TOL, LCK, and SPI.

I'm just glad that the management at my home airport, FWA, has never seen public charters as an answer even though other similar airports have. Their attitude is "scheduled service on a reputable airline - or else", and I don't blame FWA for that policy. They wisely waited for the collapse of Direct Air before getting service to PGD - and they got it on G4, which had a proven track record at FWA by that point. And they got their MYR service on G4 from day one as well, which is now in its sixth season.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

americanfan123

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:15 am

Oh didn't realize Richard Branson was launching a low cost airline?????

:D

[Edited 2015-01-28 17:16:39]
Proud to Bear the Name American

GentFromAlaska

Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:00 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 4):
was a CNN style hyperbole

I've come to understand that CNN = Certainly Not News
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

WaywardMemphian

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:58 am

I think lost in the Branson conversations is that it's relatively close to Northwest Arkansas. It's often overlook but is one of the fastest growing economies in the country. It's projected to grow for it's current 500,000 to near 900,000 by 2015.. XNA is still short on direct flights to vacation areas. As US 412 is improved, the trip to this airport is under 2 hrs. I can get there in little more than an hour from east Fayetteville.
I noticed Allegiant is upping their Sanford flights out of Springfield to 4x weely this summer and 3x weekly at XNA.

Those flights will offer cruise connections at NO, quick trips to the gulf area though Destin is preferred and resorts in Cancun. I can see the logic, now if they can get the customers.

Beatyair

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:26 am

They are hurting if you call that a big announcement.

lpdal

Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:21 am

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 29):

Nor am I, but that doesn't mean you have to be obnoxious about your dislike for it.

Ugh. I never said I disliked it. I dislike certain points of it, just like I dislike certain points of my Lenovo, my phone, my car, my...anything...Nothing is perfect in my eyes, but somethings have more good points than others. I'd fly through CVG given the chance again (say I meet another Covington girl)....Heck. I spent $2,000 for those tickets to CVG, I had to go out of my way to get to it. It wasn't easy by any means, and I may very well soon go back. So quit thinking that I "hate" CVG.

As for being 'obnoxious', I've discovered that word is often fired back when a person says how it really is. I hate how people, under the guise of being PC, can't say how things really are. There is no such thing as being "brutally honest". You're either realistic, or you're living in fantasyland hoping something will come that, in all actuality, will never come to fruition. That's not being obnoxious, that's saying how it is.  

-LPDAL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos