SCQ83
Topic Author

Iberia Express To Start Flights To LHR

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:27 pm

Interesting development, Iberia Express will fly for the first time to LHR, connecting TFN and LPA.

TFN-LHR starts March 29, 3 weekly
LPA-LHR starts March 30, 4 weekly

http://www.europapress.es/islas-cana...s-londres-lyon-20150128133737.html (in Spanish only)

Additionally, I2 will start flights from Tenerife North to Lyon on a weekly / twice weekly base.

by738

RE: Iberia Express To Start Flights To LHR

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:20 pm

interesting to see how long before these transfer to LGW

lesfalls

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:32 pm

I doubt it will last for too long. The markets is already too infested by to many LCC's but if it stays it probably will move over to LGW.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

TedToToe

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:42 pm

Any likelihood of BA codeshares? BA Holidays could fill a few seats. I presume they will use T3 at LHR.

barca

Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:42 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Thread starter):

And where are the slots for the LHR coming from?

mfc

Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:44 pm

Quoting TedToToe (Reply 3):
I presume they will use T3 at LHR.

They are using T5, the flights are already on sale.

Quoting barca (Reply 4):

I have the same question, and I'm surprised that they are being used for such a leisure route.
So, we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past

fcogafa

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:25 am

BAW currently fly LPA to LHR and have been increasing their 'holiday' destinations progressively and doing nicely out of it, selling it to 'locals' who are prepared to pay a bit more to not have to travel to LGW/LTN etc.

I presume the slots will come from BAW's stock.

Cipango

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:36 am

Quoting barca (Reply 4):

It could easily be just slot sitting?
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

OA260

Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:32 am

Quoting fcogafa (Reply 6):

I tend to agree they are actually doing quite well. The product seems to be at a level where people from the regions and Northern Europe can also connect at T5 with fares not too bad but with the comfort of free baggage allowance and through checked. The charters are often more than BA/IB. Then of course you have the point to point. Some people discard these leisure routes prematurely.

jumpjets

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:15 pm

Quoting barca (Reply 4):

I guess some of the slots acquired from BD could be used as they don't seem to be being used much for new longhaul routes. Plus later in the year it is likely that the remedy slots used by VS will come back to BA which will replenish slots for BA route expansion - maybe when the 789s start coming online [but I can but hope].

LHRFlyer

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:05 pm

Looking at the timetable, the flights leave LHR early evening and arrive back at LHR in the afternoon. If BA was to operate the flights, they'd have to night-stop an aircraft which the seasonal leisure flights never do.

SelseyBill

Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:52 pm

Quoting lesfalls (Reply 2):
I doubt it will last for too long. The markets is already too infested by to many LCC's but if it stays it probably will move over to LGW.

I think we are too often guilty of looking at some of these Spanish destinations as being solely tourism/ holiday destinations.

In addition to 5M+ tourists visiting Tenerife, the island has a resident year round population of 900k citizens. Gran Canaria (LPA) has a similar resident population of 800k and attracts over 2M vistors annually.

Of course these destinations are seasonal, but there is arguably enough year round business to perhaps justify feeding BA's world network @ LHR year round.

[Edited 2015-01-29 15:20:21]

vv701

Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Quoting SelseyBill (Reply 11):
I think we are too often guilty of looking at some of these Spanish destinations as being solely tourism/ holiday destinations.

I agree. And I also think that we may be guilty of assuming that every BA flight out of LHR is operated primarily for business travel. This despite that at the start of Summer Season 2014 and in the following May BA launched twice weekly LHR flights to AGP, FAO, JMK, JTR and OPO.

Indeed it is very clear that BA have always operated seasonal flights (that are most likely to be primarily leisure flights) out of LHR. For starters the total number of allocated LHR weekly slots is always higher in the Summer than in the Winter Season. At the start of Summer Season 2014 there were 9,564 v 9,256 at the start of the following Winter Seasons. And BA had 140 of those additional 308 slots.

To retain these additional Summer Season slots BA needs to operate an additional 70 weekly rotations or an average of ten flights a day in the Summer than in the Winter Season.

I think that the holiday flights identified above are likely only a fraction of the total holiday flights operated by BA from LHR. Indeed they could be the tip of a pretty large iceberg.

Source: Slot numbers from ACL web site.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos