burchfiel
Topic Author

How Has IAH Fared Under UA?

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:23 am

I'll be moving to Houston next month, and I'm excited about having a big hub like IAH as my home airport.

I'd like to hear how IAH has fared under UA. Obviously having the CO headquarters moved to Chicago was a loss, but it seems that IAH has kept all of the international routes intact (CDG being an exception). They've also added MUC and LOS, which means that UA technically flies from IAH to all 6 permanently inhabited continents, if you count HNL within Oceania. But it's too bad they didn't go ahead with the IAH-AKL route; hopefully NZ will fly it instead.

As of September 2011, it looks like CO only flew domestic widebodies to HNL and EWR, whereas now I think you can fly on a UA widebody from IAH to DEN, LAX, ORD, IAD, and EWR (I'm not certain about LAX and ORD). That's a big plus for me, although other passengers might be indifferent.

Passenger traffic at IAH in 2013 was at its lowest point since at least 2005, but it looks like we'll see an increase in passenger traffic reported for 2014 (up 2.6% YTD as of 9/2014, higher than CLT, LAS, MIA, DEN, and ATL). Not sure to what extent UA is responsible for IAH's lagging numbers, since the Recession appears to have played a big role, and it was still CO's back then.

Relative to its US peers, IAH has slid -- 6th in 2005, 8th in 2009, 7th in 2010, 10th in 2011, 11th in 2012, and then 12th in 2013. Again, this was a trend that began back under CO's leadership, but it appears to have continued under UA.

So what do you think? Has IAH fared well under UA?

IAHflyer97

RE: How Has IAH Fared Under UA?

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:32 am

First few years were filled UA's need to screw IAH over for allowing WN to start international ops at HOU. However, in the last year they've decided to add service like the mentioned MUC, AUA, PLS, a second daily to NRT which will be replaced by NH and a few smaller domestic cities. Despite the first few years, IAH has done well.

This isn't UA, but I should still mention that IAH had major growth from foreign carriers which probably has a lot o do with UA's Star Alliance ties.

Welcome to Houston!   
A man is only as big as the amount of strings on his guitar.

burchfiel
Topic Author

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:56 am

Quoting IAHflyer97 (Reply 1):
First few years were filled UA's need to screw IAH over for allowing WN to start international ops at HOU.

Thanks for the welcome!   
I know that IAH was probably sore about WN, but what were some of the ways that they screwed IAH over? I heard the WN deal was related to their scrapping the CDG and (announced) AKL flights, but it looks like they kept most things intact. Were there big cuts to domestic travel?

To take UA's side, you could argue that Houston was now just one of 5 major international hubs for United (along with SFO, ORD, EWR, and IAD), and IAH's role was bound to decrease somewhat. (It's still UA's biggest hub or second biggest -- I think ORD and IAH are very close). That alone could explain many of the IAH cuts. For example, UA had CDG flights from IAD and ORD (plus EWR), so the IAH-CDG route probably became less important.

I'm hoping to see service expand, but IAH now has a lot of competition in the UA network, and I think some of the cuts have to have been caused by the merger, not just the whole WN thing.

[Edited 2015-01-28 21:57:13]

TWA772LR

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:58 am

Status quo hasn't really changed once everything has been taken into consideration. The economy tanking didn't hit Houston too hard and air travel has been growing, but with oil dropping, how much of that growth will actually be held up.

On the UA front, we have 2-class RJs coming out the wazoo! Every I turn around (almost literally) I see another 2-class RJ. While mainline has been rightsized to fit the pmCO network into the pmUA network. As far as intercontinental service goes, we have had a net gain of 2 flights (LOS+GIG nonstop+MUC-CDG) and many rumors floating around, mostly about AKL service.

What part of Houston are you moving to, if you don't mind me asking? Send me a PM if you want more info about the city!

And welcome to Houston!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

COflyerBOS

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:57 am

UA has cut service into IAH at a time when almost all new job growth in the US was taking place in Texas. While Houston was booming and adding 100,000+ jobs a year, United cut several markets and drew down others. Sure, the merger opened up new connection points via ORD and DEN, but it still didn't seem like a wise move.

Why?

Because Southwest has opened markets down at Hobby and will begin international flying soon. Spirit opened up shop at IAH with 2 nonstop markets but will serve 24 markets later this year, including several international destinations. Emirates, Lufthansa, AeroMexico, Frontier, and VivaAerobus have expanded service. And, international carries continue to flock to IAH. Since 2013, these carriers have joined/will join the lineup; ANA, EVA, Sunwing, Volaris, WestJet, Air China, Turkish, Korean, and SAS.

IAHflyer97

Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:47 am

Quoting Burchfiel (Reply 2):

COflyerBOS summed it up pretty perfectly actually....

LAX772LR

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:09 am

Quoting Burchfiel (Thread starter):
which means that UA technically flies from IAH to all 6 permanently inhabited continents

Huh? Where does UA fly to in Australia/Oceania from IAH??
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

IAHflyer97

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:14 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 6):

Technically HNL is Oceania (which personally I don't count it as such).

jolau1701

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:17 am

Quoting IAHflyer97 (Reply 7):
Technically HNL is Oceania (which personally I don't count it as such).

I always considered Australia as its own continent, just like India is considered its own continent. Also, I don't recall IAH getting a direct flight to India either.

MAH4546

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:46 am

Quoting jolau1701 (Reply 8):
just like India is considered its own continent. Also, I don't recall IAH getting a direct flight to India either.

Nobody considers India its own continent, but the region it is in is referred to as the Indian Subcontinent.

Australia is its own continent, and that continent is more commonly known as Oceania.
a.

MaverickM11

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:59 am

UA has done an excellent job driving new service on other airlines to IAH. HAS should honestly send them a thank you note.

Quoting COflyerBOS (Reply 4):
Because Southwest has opened markets down at Hobby and will begin international flying soon. Spirit opened up shop at IAH with 2 nonstop markets but will serve 24 markets later this year, including several international destinations. Emirates, Lufthansa, AeroMexico, Frontier, and VivaAerobus have expanded service. And, international carries continue to flock to IAH. Since 2013, these carriers have joined/will join the lineup; ANA, EVA, Sunwing, Volaris, WestJet, Air China, Turkish, Korean, and SAS.

UA's tantrum has been incredible for IAH's air service development.
E pur si muove -Galileo

drerx7

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:05 pm

Welcome to Houston ! Check out the Houston Spotters Club! Alot of us are on both forums, many prefer the Houston Spotters Forum...much less moderator intrusion and much more amiable bunch.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

AVENSAB727

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:09 pm

Quoting IAHflyer97 (Reply 1):

Don't forget SCL,   I wont comment on this HOU vs UA at IAH stuff, but IAH has done very well, IAH is now the 8th busiest airport in the USA this year, based on a recent press release from HAS, link to press release: http://www.fly2houston.com/0/3922348/0/83280D83283/.
Other than that, UA's star alliance ties has led to spectacular growth at IAH, although I agree with some of the sentiment here, UA let alot of opportunities slip into the hands of FFCs such as PEK and TPE.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

COSPN

Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:05 pm

HNL is a Pacific island and a US state it is not a continent

jfklganyc

Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:11 pm

Re: continents

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

Quoting jolau1701 (Reply 8):

I always considered Australia as its own continent, just like India is considered its own continent.
Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 9):

Australia is its own continent, and that continent is more commonly known as Oceania.

"The terms Oceania or Australasia are sometimes substituted for Australia to denote a region encompassing the Australian continent and various islands in the Pacific Ocean that are not included in the seven-continent model."

The norm is Australia on it's own.

But I hear Antarctica is pushing for service on one of the new 787s  

codc10

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:01 pm

I don't buy for one second that UA's service cuts in Houston were tied to the Southwest flap. It was a convenient excuse for the time when it became clear that many of the major east-west traffic flows that IAH served in the CO network were made redundant with large UA hubs entering the fold at DEN and ORD which filled similar niches.

IAH has been right-sized and is probably delivering better returns for the combined entity as a result, especially in view of the dramatically reduced proportion of 50-seater operations.

In the meantime, IAH will continue to be UA's primary Latin America gateway, and most growth over the next few years will probably be in that region, especially with the collapse of oil prices. In the meantime, the coastal hubs will probably see the bulk of UA's more exotic expansion.

MaverickM11

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:04 pm

Quoting codc10 (Reply 15):
It was a convenient excuse for the time when it became clear that many of the major east-west traffic flows that IAH served in the CO network were made redundant with large UA hubs entering the fold at DEN and ORD which filled similar niches.

DEN/ORD were pulled down far more.
E pur si muove -Galileo

a380787

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:10 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 14):
"The terms Oceania or Australasia are sometimes substituted for Australia to denote a region encompassing the Australian continent and various islands in the Pacific Ocean that are not included in the seven-continent model."

The norm is Australia on it's own.

If we have to start excluding associated islands from the continent(s), we'll have to exclude UK/Ireland from Europe, Madagascar from Africa, and SriLanka/Indonesia/Japan/Taiwan from Asia.

Or ... add NZ and the small islands into Oceania/Australiasia.

But I agree that calling Hawaii/HNL as "Oceania" is really stretching it.

codc10

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:15 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 16):
DEN/ORD were pulled down far more.

Same argument applies. DEN/ORD and IAH served the same traffic flows in their respective predecessor systems. That, plus the aggressive fleet renewal (757 retirement, 50-seat withdrawal) and redeployment of capacity to the international market led to rationalization of the network.

ScottB

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:41 pm

I don't buy for one second that UA's service cuts in Houston were tied to the Southwest flap.

You may not buy it, but IAH was in the doghouse at the Willis Tower for about a year while the Houston economy was positively booming. That's a big part of why so many other carriers have jumped into IAH thanks to UA's decision to "punish" Houston for allowing WN to build international gates at HOU.

IAH has been right-sized and is probably delivering better returns for the combined entity as a result, especially in view of the dramatically reduced proportion of 50-seater operations.

50-seater operations may be down, but mainline operations are also down quite substantially at IAH as UA has moved capacity to other airports; UA+CO operated an average of about 209 daily domestic mainline departures from IAH in July of 2010, compared to 174 for UA in July of 2014 -- a reduction of 17%. But the traffic didn't just go away; WN increased average daily departures at HOU by roughly 25 over the same period.

For example, UA had CDG flights from IAD and ORD (plus EWR), so the IAH-CDG route probably became less important.

Except that the CDG flight was moved to SFO which had already failed for UA in the past -- and IAH-PAR had been in the CO network for over two decades. I think it's difficult to argue that geography works in favor of SFO-CDG, either.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 3):
As far as intercontinental service goes, we have had a net gain of 2 flights (LOS+GIG nonstop+MUC-CDG) and many rumors floating around, mostly about AKL service.

LOS & AKL had been announced in 2010 before the merger closed. A standalone CO would have likely added IAH-GIG thanks to the energy industry ties and MUC thanks to its entry into Star Alliance after the DL-NW merger. So, in reality, it appears more that IAH has lost the long-running IAH-CDG and the proposed IAH-AKL services.

a380787

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:53 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 19):

For example, UA had CDG flights from IAD and ORD (plus EWR), so the IAH-CDG route probably became less important.

Except that the CDG flight was moved to SFO which had already failed for UA in the past -- and IAH-PAR had been in the CO network for over two decades. I think it's difficult to argue that geography works in favor of SFO-CDG, either.

ORD IAD EWR more than take of the "geography" portion for CDG-bound traffic. SF is also a much larger and wealthier metro, so picking that over connection-filled IAH-CDG isn't such a bad decision at all.

How many medium sized towns can you count that cannot be flown 1-stop on ORD-CDG, IAD-CDG, or EWR-CDG but is unique to IAH-CDG ?

UA's SFO-CDG has an unique advantage of being the only US-airline-metal flight between California and Paris. PMUA's SFO-CDG failed previously because their planes were too premium heavy for such a route. The newly reconfigured 2-class 763s solves that issue.

tommy767

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:53 pm

IAH was always too far south to be a major connecting hub, but it was CO's only real option aside the mess at EWR. Works from the Southeast to the Southwest, but from say BOS to SEA, the other UA hubs of ORD/DEN/EWR/IAD kill the relative functionality of the former CO glory hub.

My sister lives in Houston and LOVES WN! Hobby is closer to her house and it's usually cheaper to fly to the NYC area over UA. She got screwed too many times with UA and all the delays & poor customer service from the hub. This is in less than a half year's time of moving to the Houston area.

I'll be connecting in IAH tomorrow from ATL to LAX so I am excited to layover there and use the UA club -- probably one of the best in the UA system. Other than that, the hub is really nothing exciting.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

AVENSAB727

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:04 pm

Oh no... not this again... This happened 3 years ago, just give it a rest!
Always look on the bright side of Life!

codc10

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:09 pm

You may not buy it, but IAH was in the doghouse at the Willis Tower for about a year while the Houston economy was positively booming. That's a big part of why so many other carriers have jumped into IAH thanks to UA's decision to "punish" Houston for allowing WN to build international gates at HOU.

If the sole purpose for withholding the introduction of would-be profitable service at IAH were because UA wanted to "punish" the City of Houston for allowing international flights at HOU, the entire BOD should have been canned along with the management team. Just seems too silly, to me.

My contention is that it made for a convenient excuse to make 'redundancy' cuts that were coming to IAH anyway (like all the other hubs) but that it was carried out in a very ham-fisted manner which only made UA look like a whiny, PR-incompetent organization.

[Edited 2015-01-29 09:28:46]

MaverickM11

Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:28 pm

Quoting codc10 (Reply 23):
If the sole purpose for withholding the introduction of would-be profitable service at IAH were because UA wanted to "punish" the City of Houston for allowing international flights at HOU, the entire BOD should have been canned along with the management team. Just seems too silly, to me.

This is UA we're talking about here. They were probably given bonuses  
E pur si muove -Galileo

LAX772LR

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:06 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 20):
UA's SFO-CDG has an unique advantage of being the only US-airline-metal flight between California and Paris.

What "advantage" is that?

For SoCal travelers, the midwest is quicker to connect through than SFO is, if you want to stay on a USA carrier.

For example LAX/SAN-MSP-CDG is shorter by several hundred miles than LAX/SAN-SFO-CDG.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

a380787

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:15 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 25):

For SoCal travelers, the midwest is quicker to connect through than SFO is, if you want to stay on a USA carrier.

For example LAX/SAN-MSP-CDG is shorter by several hundred miles than LAX/SAN-SFO-CDG.

For the premium traveler, you can maximize the flat bed J time and maximize sleep time. What does IAH-CDG offer that ORD-CDG can't ?

fxramper

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:40 pm

Smisek make a lot of promises to IAH for this merger to happen and I haven't seem many of them happening thus far.

Oh yeah, the 2x IAH-NRT was a fail. Hope Munich is doing better.   

STT757

Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:23 pm

I don't buy for one second that UA's service cuts in Houston were tied to the Southwest flap. It was a convenient excuse for the time when it became clear that many of the major east-west traffic flows that IAH served in the CO network were made redundant with large UA hubs entering the fold at DEN and ORD which filled similar niches

Keep in mind IAH benefitted greatly when CO drew down their Denver hub from 1993-1995, all those planes moved to IAH which saw a big jump. The reverse effect happened when CO merged with UA, the DEN hub was back in the picture which as pointed out is a much better connecting hub geographically. Houston is still a powerhouse thanks to it's corporate presence, strong growing economy, and international business/political/cultural connections.

Overall though IAH has done well with the UA merger:

1.) It's the main 787 base
2.) Widebody flying has increased, even with losing CDG IAH gained flights to Europe with UA with FRA, MUC and a third daily to LHR. Besides SCL, UA also upgauge IAH-LIM to a 763.
3.) 70+ seat regionals
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

strfyr51

Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:38 pm

Except that the CDG flight was moved to SFO which had already failed for UA in the past -- and IAH-PAR had been in the CO network for over two decades. I think it's difficult to argue that geography works in favor of SFO-CDG, either

the SFO CDG b767 flight didn't fail. the Capacity was needed more in other placed when the 100 737's were grounded.
Flight 930 and 931 SFO-CDG-SFO flew opposite AF's 767 on the same route. Later , the flight was moved to IAD
and added with IAD-LOS-IAD.

MaverickM11

Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:47 pm

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 29):
the SFO CDG b767 flight didn't fail. the Capacity was needed more in other placed

That never happens. Ever. Especially not during an era when UA was far less profitable than it is now. It was canceled because it didn't work.
E pur si muove -Galileo

nomorerjs

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:05 pm

IAH, welcome to United, and the world of outsourcing! At least you have a few more seats than ORD! Sad to see the 3rd and 5th most populated markets in the US dominated by RJs. Now if we could just get AA to finally close ORD, than someone might actually bring in jets there (at least Chicago and Houston have WN at MDW and IAH as an alternative, but they are far from where the $ is north / west burbs in Chicagoland, The Woodlands, etc. in H town). AA knows they have a good thing at DFW (and MIA) and milk it. DL knows they have ATL and milk it. ORD and IAH are just wasted assets.

hohd

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:06 pm

If UA thinks SFO-CDG can succeed with 763 then so can IAH too either with 787 or 763. This is a long standing route and IAH has enough O & D and has sufficient (far more than SFO) connecting traffic to make CDG work. AF is doing fine at IAH and I don't see UA should always "run" away from competition. Even at IAD, UA has 763 vs AF's 380 or 77W. There are lots of cities which have sole service to IAH and/or limited service to other hubs which offer connecting traffic to CDG.

The big additions to IAH are Santiago and Munich. This was entirely new service (not previously planned by CO).

jayunited

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:58 pm

Quoting hohd (Reply 32):
If UA thinks SFO-CDG can succeed with 763 then so can IAH too either with 787 or 763. This is a long standing route and IAH has enough O & D and has sufficient (far more than SFO) connecting traffic to make CDG work. AF is doing fine at IAH and I don't see UA should always "run" away from competition. Even at IAD, UA has 763 vs AF's 380 or 77W. There are lots of cities which have sole service to IAH and/or limited service to other hubs which offer connecting traffic to CDG.

You are still missing the point which is after the merger there was no need to force passengers traveling to CDG to connect in IAH. Because UA now had in addition to EWR, IAD, and ORD and the O & D traffic that you say IAH had enough of obviously isn't enough when compared to O & D traffic on the SFO-CDG route. There are very few connections on the SFO-CDG route and so far the route has stuck around and seeing how quickly UA has canceled international routes that have not met financial expectations the SFO-CDG route must be doing something right because if it was failing to meet expectations UA would have canceled the route by now.
And while people are still lamenting the loss of IAH-CDG didn't CO/UA executives say the route struggled to make money after CO left Sky for Star? Also would there be a IAH-MUC flight today if IAH were not a Star hub? Alliances do make a difference and sometimes leaving one alliance for another can be the difference between a flight being profitable and a flight loosing money because its not just about IAH there is also a return flight and I'm probably betting that AF picked up most of the traffic on the route after CO left Sky. I'm sure this route was profitable when CO was a member of Sky but that all changed when CO switched to Star however CO had to eat the losses because the only other choice CO had at the time was EWR.

I think the problem is a lot of people thought that IAH would come through this merger unscathed because it was the crown jewel of CO and a lot of CO executives would be remaining on at the newly combined UA and when that didn't happen it angered people. But I really do think the expectation at IAH would escape unscathed was unrealistic because you now had to account for ORD and IAD traffic and there was no longer a need to continue flying a route that was unprofitable.

TWA772LR

Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:08 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 28):

IAH may be the biggest pilot base and the training base, but I believe that LAX has more 787 flights than IAH, especially 789.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

UA444

Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:35 am

Sfo-CDG ended in 2005.

drerx7

Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:31 am

They restarted SFO-CDG.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

jfklganyc

Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:52 am

Well who's the moron in the room then? If this is true, it is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Houston is one of the largest cities in the country with one of the strongest local economies around. No airline is gonna hold it hostage. Like, NY, LA, or CHI, airlines need Houston more than Houston needs any one airline. If UA doesn't want to serve IAH, other carriers will fill in.

thomasphoto60

Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:56 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 37):
If UA doesn't want to serve IAH, other carriers will fill in.

And that is exactly what is happening and frankly I could not be happier.
"Show me the Braniffs"

UA444

Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:04 am

Quoting drerx7 (Reply 36):
They restarted SFO-CDG.

I know that, I've flown it. I'm referring to when it originally was cancelled.

drerx7

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:29 am

Quoting UA444 (Reply 39):

I stand corrected, my apologies
HOUSTON, TEXAS

ScottB

Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:04 pm

If UA doesn't want to serve IAH, other carriers will fill in.

And this is *precisely* what has happened! Several new foreign flag carriers have entered IAH since the merger, NK has added a dozen daily departures from IAH, and WN has added two dozen daily departures from HOU.

Well who's the moron in the room then?

Perhaps you should look for a photo of the UAL board.

the SFO CDG b767 flight didn't fail. the Capacity was needed more in other placed when the 100 737's were grounded.

Oh please. You could maybe argue that if UA had placed 767's into domestic service to back-fill for the parked 737's, but SFO-CDG ended before the 737's were parked and UA pulled the widebodies from continental U.S. markets apart from repositioning flights. The 737's were sort-of replaced by outsourced RJ's.

Quoting jayunited (Reply 33):
I think the problem is a lot of people thought that IAH would come through this merger unscathed because it was the crown jewel of CO and a lot of CO executives would be remaining on at the newly combined UA and when that didn't happen it angered people. But I really do think the expectation at IAH would escape unscathed was unrealistic

Well, the airlines sold the merger on the promise of increased service. Quoting the press release announcing IAH-LOS:

Quote:
The success of the Houston-Lagos route will be enhanced by the additional traffic flows through Houston that are expected to result from the merger.

That certainly doesn't sound like setting an expectation of service reductions in the wake of the merger. And the question posed by the thread starter was:

Quoting Burchfiel (Thread starter):
I'd like to hear how IAH has fared under UA.

So your answer is obviously that IAH did not "escape unscathed," meaning that the IAH hub is worse-off under UA than it had been under CO.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 28):
Overall though IAH has done well with the UA merger:

2.) Widebody flying has increased, even with losing CDG IAH gained flights to Europe with UA with FRA, MUC and a third daily to LHR. Besides SCL, UA also upgauge IAH-LIM to a 763.
3.) 70+ seat regionals

1) IAH was going to be the main 787 base for CO.
2) Widebody flying would have increased in an independent CO because they had the 787's entering the fleet. CO's entry into Star Alliance was independent of the merger and IAH-FRA restarted in 2009. MUC would likely have been added from IAH due to the Star Alliance relationship. While LHR gained a third flight, the aircraft used are smaller so there was no net gain of seats.
3) 70+ seat regionals largely replacing mainline aircraft shifted to other UA hubs due to pmUA management's poor decision to park the 737 fleet.

COflyerBOS

Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:32 pm

Exactly. The 70+ seat regional jets with first class aren't being used at IAH to replace 50 seat ERJs but rather mainline jets at places like Austin, San Antonio, New Orleans, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Minneapolis, Detroit, and Ontario.

ual777

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:32 am

Quoting COflyerBOS (Reply 42):

Exactly. The 70+ seat regional jets with first class aren't being used at IAH to replace 50 seat ERJs but rather mainline jets at places like Austin, San Antonio, New Orleans, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Minneapolis, Detroit, and Ontario.

Not really. MSY, SAT, AUS, DFW, OKC, OMA, MSP, and DTW have all been emb-145 routes for years.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

tommy767

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:41 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 41):

1) IAH was going to be the main 787 base for CO.

Was? How about UA giving IAH basically 24 extra 757 frequencies after the merger (now gone with the retirements). Big improvement if you ask me.

Seems like CO managment just bit off a little more than they can chew. It's their own fault for the imbalance in hub structure.

Just flew UA LAX-SFO-ATL. Absolutely horrible compared to DL. We shall see how it is on the way back via IAH.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

UA444

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:27 am

Quoting ual777 (Reply 43):

In 2009, IAH-DTW was almost all mainline. They also had several AUS flights on mainline.

ScottB

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:00 am

Quoting ual777 (Reply 43):
Not really. MSY, SAT, AUS, DFW, OKC, OMA, MSP, and DTW have all been emb-145 routes for years.

Back in 2010, MSY would see a handful of ERJ's on the weekend and the last frequency of the night from IAH, arriving at midnight. The rest was all mainline. AUS used to have about three-quarters of its service on mainline; that's now down to half. ABQ used to get two daily mainline flights and four daily ERJ's; now it's down to a single E170 and two ERJ's. MTY used to see three daily mainline frequencies but it's all-ERJ now. IAH-RDU had two daily mainline flights but it's all-RJ with less frequency now.

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 44):
Was? How about UA giving IAH basically 24 extra 757 frequencies after the merger (now gone with the retirements). Big improvement if you ask me.

What, sending a bunch of worn-out UA 757's to IAH in exchange for CO's nice, new 737-900's was an improvement? I think not.

UA444

Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:20 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 46):

I'll take those more comfortable "worn out" 757s over those brand new torture chamber 737s. So would pilots.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos