Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airliner371
Topic Author

Southwest Obtains 2 More Gates At DAL

Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:38 pm

More cities, more flights, more seats, Southwest is taking over the 2 UA gates at DAL.

http://southwest.investorroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1978

Quote:
Details on numbers of flights as well as the full list of the cities and fares will be announced soon. The new flights will be made possible through a long-term sub-lease agreement that will transfer usage of two gates in the newly rebuilt 20-gate facility from United Airlines to Southwest Airlines. Terms of the deal are confidential. The transaction was reviewed and cleared without conditions by the U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division. The City of Dallas, the owner and operator of Love Field, also has approved the sublease.
Quote:
Beginning in April, Southwest will offer daily nonstop flights to nine new cities from Dallas, including Memphis, Milwaukee, and Seattle, and will increase the number of nonstop flights to recently introduced destinations added after the October 2014 expiration of the Wright Amendment restrictions on long-haul flying at Love Field.

I guess DL is out. No surprise there, Southwest wanted the gates much more than DL. So Southwest will have control of 18 gates, and VX will have 2. Keep in mind Spirit and American are right across the city at DFW providing competition.

Also, as quoted above, it has been approved by everyone that needs to approve it. I guess this is why UA never added flights post wright amendment.

Back when Southwest published it's interest in the 2 AA gates, they listed cities they would add with the 2 gates. My guess is many of these cities will be added.http://swamedia.com/releases/southwe...ss-to-two-additional-gates?l=en-US

This ought to get all you Anti-WN, Anti-DAL people talking. Enjoy, lets all remember, we are here because we enjoy aviation so let's all be friendly!

[Edited 2015-01-30 15:05:03]

BACCALA

RE: Southwest Obtains 2 More Gates At DAL

Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:57 pm

So will UA leave DAL completely?

737tdi

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Wow, I really did not see this coming. No fight from DL? I think there may be some challenges to this. I luv it but there sure seems to be something we are missing here. I thought DL was doing fairly well with the 717s out of DAL. WN's website announces the same thing but I still think DL may fight this. JMO.

airliner371
Topic Author

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:02 pm

Quoting BACCALA (Reply 1):
So will UA leave DAL completely?

The press release says the two gates will transfer usage to WN in a long term sub-lease so it looks like yes, they will.

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 2):
Wow, I really did not see this coming. No fight from DL? I think there may be some challenges to this. I luv it but there sure seems to be something we are missing here. I thought DL was doing fairly well with the 717s out of DAL. WN's website announces the same thing but I still think DL may fight this. JMO.

DL certainly can fight this. But what they would have to fight is the wright amendment compromise. It's right in the press release, the DOJ, City of Dallas and DAL operator have all approved this. If DL wants access, its the wright amendment compromise they have to fight.

rtalk25

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:09 pm

It's interesting that MKE-DAL will happen before MKE-HOU or MKE-BNA, but some direct south was needed from MKE. It should open better connect opportunities for AUS also.

Quoting airliner371 (Thread starter):
My guess is most if not all of these cities will be added.

I'm not sure. That was an extensive list (almost like a wish list at the time politically created) and it might have to cut frequencies from other markets. I think IND has a good chance if Southwest wants to build IND more for attracting business pax there, especially as it just added BOS and LAX from IND.

CHS might be easily doable for seasonal or weekend service like ECP.

[Edited 2015-01-30 15:10:25]

OzarkD9S

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:17 pm

Might as well rename Love Field to Greater Southwest.
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

airliner371
Topic Author

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:22 pm

It says 9 new cities including MKE, MEM and SEA. So there are 6 more cities not announced.

Back when they wanted the 2 AA gates, they announced that regardless of the 2 gates, they would add BOS, OAK, ECP, PDX and SJC. OAK and ECP were added already, so BOS, PDX and SJC are left to be added. I don't know if those 3 are in addition toto the 6 they will be adding or if they are 3 of those 6.

Dallas

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:31 pm

Will DL be forced to leave or file a lawsuit, or will WN allow them to operate to avoid legal battles? DL is still selling tickets, so it'll be interesting to watch and see how they respond.

K5 will operate still from VX, so they are settled.

Nonstop to BOS, please!

DDR

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:34 pm

Did not see this coming. Wonder what made UA decide to throw in the towel?

joeljack

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:37 pm

Gosh, I hope this means that OMA finally gets a nonstop!! Ease of connections from OMA to places like AUS, HOU and SAT, and other smaller southern cities.

In addition, it was the Nebraska US Senator at the time that pushed the wright amendment to go away to begin with, it seems like WN seems to have forgotten this!

Dallas

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:37 pm

Quoting DDR (Reply 8):

I would guess lots of            

joeljack

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:39 pm

Quoting DDR (Reply 8):

Drastic reduction in regional jet flying, needing to find flights to eliminate, in addition, can probably make more money sub-leasing the gates to WN vs flying their own metal. Most of UA's DAL customers will just fly to DFW instead, at least all the high dollar, elite loyal ones.

rfields5421

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:40 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 5):

Okay

Not all who wander are lost.

airliner371
Topic Author

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:41 pm

DL was never a part of the wright amendment agreement. They never had gates, they are not entitled to gates with the agreement. So if they want gates, they need to fight the wright amendment agreement and get it entirely repealed. That will be an expensive task and through the agreement, WN is not allowed to support them. So they need to decide whether they want DAL that much to spend all that money.

But in terms of the sub lease, this is entirely legal and received all approval and DL can't do anything about it. It even received DOJ Antitrust approval.

Quoting Dallas (Reply 10):
I would guess lots of $

No doubt WN paid A LOT of money for those gates. A LOT!!!!

FlyPNS1

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:42 pm

The funny thing is that some posters were insisting that UA had "big" plans for DAL and was going to add a bunch of flights.

I think the only question I have is whether they will accomodate DL at DAL or if DL gets pushed out and tries to sue.

Cubsrule

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:47 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 14):
I think the only question I have is whether they will accomodate DL at DAL or if DL gets pushed out and tries to sue.

Does the Wright Amendment compromise supersede Air21?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

wnflyguy

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:50 pm

Rumors I'm hearing is DL will still have 5 slots in a shared Gate from WN including the Overnight RON position. WN is also Rumored to be returning 16 Slots/ 8 flights to UA in EWR As part of the DAL deal.

Didn't see this coming. Good job WN!

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

airliner371
Topic Author

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:54 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 16):
Rumors I'm hearing is DL will still have 5 slots in a shared Gate from WN including the Overnight RON position. WN is also Rumored to be returning 16 Slots/ 8 flights to UA in EWR As part of the DAL deal.

That seems rather generous of WN if that does come to fruition.

rfields5421

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:55 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 15):
Does the Wright Amendment compromise supersede Air21?

Not really, but kind of.

The original 1979 Wright Amendment, the various modifications in 1997 and 2005, and the final bill repealing Wright in 2006 - which went into full effect last October - all made the airport a 'special' case not subject to any other anti-trust or regulatory provisions.

If Air21 is in anyway in disagreement with the final repeal of the Wright Amendment - that 2006 bill has precedence.
Not all who wander are lost.

DDR

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:56 pm

I think it would make sense for WN to free up space for DL to run flights to ATL. However, DL certainly will not be able to squeeze any more destinations out of DAL. I'm sure WN will be making a killing off of what they will be charging DL. Will be interesting to see if DL can command higher fares out of DAL vs DFW.

airliner371
Topic Author

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:58 pm

Quoting DDR (Reply 19):
Will be interesting to see if DL can command higher fares out of DAL vs DFW.

DL already operates both, you can check now if they do or not.

joeljack

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:05 am

Let's have some fun....my best guesses:

Given SEA, MKE, MEM

4 more:
MSP, BOS, IND, CMH

And 2 more from following list:

RSW, SDF, PHL, PIT, SMF, PDX, OMA

Cubsrule

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:08 am

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 18):
If Air21 is in anyway in disagreement with the final repeal of the Wright Amendment - that 2006 bill has precedence.

I don't think there's any conflict that would be relevant here. Air21 does not require new construction. It does require certain accommodations for carriers who want, but cannot get, access to extant gates.

DDR

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:27 am

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 20):

I realize they operate out of both airports. What I'm saying is, that if it becomes much more expensive for them to operate out of DAL, will they be able to cover the increased costs through higher fares. It is a hypothetical question that would be answered in the future.

airliner371
Topic Author

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:30 am

United has confirmed the deal and will in fact leave DAL all together.

Quote:
United will continue using the gates until March 16. It intends to leave Love Field and serve area passengers through its Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport gates.

Delta has also responded.

Quote:
Delta spokesman Trebor Banstetter indicated the sublease won’t affect Delta’s schedule in Dallas.

“We continue to operate our nonstop service to Atlanta from Love Field,” Banstetter said. “We are working with the airport and all the parties involved to ensure that we’ll be able to operate that service permanently.”
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ds-gates-will-expand-service.html/

To me, the DL spokesman seems out of the loop.

Okie

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:52 am

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 24):
To me, the DL spokesman seems out of the loop.

No, as long as there is gate space/gate time available then when WN or VX are not using a gate then DL or anyone else can use it. That is why DL is operating there now.

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 13):
DL was never a part of the wright amendment agreement. They never had gates, they are not entitled to gates with the agreement. So if they want gates, they need to fight the wright amendment agreement and get it entirely repealed. That will be an expensive task and through the agreement, WN is not allowed to support them. So they need to decide whether they want DAL that much to spend all that money

You are right WN can not change the agreement. This I believe is an excellent outcome for WN as it puts all the legal cost on DL to fight the agreement if they want to operate at DAL once WN & VX fill up the gate times.
If DL somehow gets to expand the airport beyond the 20 gate limit then WN would be able to eventually have the ability to have more gates as well.

UA pulling the plug on service to DAL is surprising in some respects but with 2 gates you are really only relying on O & D for that airport.

Okie

airliner371
Topic Author

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:59 am

Quoting Okie (Reply 25):
No, as long as there is gate space/gate time available then when WN or VX are not using a gate then DL or anyone else can use it. That is why DL is operating there now.

I am aware, all I said was that the spokesman seemed out of the loop. I guess we'll have to see what happens when WN fills their gates which is inevitable.

strfyr51

Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:03 am

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 16):

Somehow I thought WN might be "horse trading" to get those gates. I don't think EWR was that much on their Radar as much as DAL was on UA's radar to hold some Sway over those DAL gates to have something WN REALLY wanted.
Texas Logic is pretty slick sometimes. They hold their Cards CLOSE to the Vest..

mke717spotter

Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:07 am

Glad to see the MKE addition, but does anyone know what the frequency is going to be? I always assumed DAL-MKE would get added at some point, and I agree with the post above that HOU and BNA are the only missing links left after the recent addition of SAN.

As for the remaining new routes, any chance for TUS? AA seems to be pretty strong to DFW.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

airliner371
Topic Author

Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:13 am

Quoting mke717spotter (Reply 28):
but does anyone know what the frequency is going to be?

Not announced yet.

Quoting mke717spotter (Reply 28):
As for the remaining new routes, any chance for TUS?

I doubt it.

JetBlueCLT

Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:24 am

Hopefully CLT will get linked up with 1 or 2 daily flights!
Pittsburgh Penguins, Steelers, Pirates and Charlotte Hornets Fan

Okie

Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:25 am

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 26):
I am aware, all I said was that the spokesman seemed out of the loop. I guess we'll have to see what happens when WN fills their gates which is inevitable

Some point in time. What was not indicated is exactly when UA is pulling the plug or scaling back. The presser only indicated they were adding a flight in April.
WN did not have enough aircraft to use the 16 gates they have now and let DL use the spare capacity.
Now WN has 2 more gates. I suspect it will be a while before WN has enough aircraft to do 18-20 more gate turns per day.

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 27):
Somehow I thought WN might be "horse trading" to get those gates. I don't think EWR was that much on their Radar as much as DAL was on UA's radar to hold some Sway over those DAL gates to have something WN REALLY wanted.

At some point in time WN could be in DL's shoes as they are sub-leasing the gates from UA.

By all means an interesting turn of events.

Okie

airliner371
Topic Author

Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:35 am

Quoting Okie (Reply 31):
What was not indicated is exactly when UA is pulling the plug or scaling back.

It is in this article. http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ds-gates-will-expand-service.html/
Quote:
United will continue using the gates until March 16. It intends to leave Love Field and serve area passengers through its Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport gates.

----
Quoting Okie (Reply 31):
WN did not have enough aircraft to use the 16 gates they have now and let DL use the spare capacity.
Now WN has 2 more gates. I suspect it will be a while before WN has enough aircraft to do 18-20 more gate turns per day.

WN is operating 153 flights out of DAL. That is 9.5 flights per gate. How many more flights do you want them to have for 16 gates? WN will probably get more used 73Gs or cancel some classic retirements to fund the new flights. WN has made it clear they have a lot of flexibility to change their fleet.

WaywardMemphian

Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:50 am

Some report Memphis is getting 2x daily service starting in April

[Edited 2015-01-30 18:18:46]

AA737-823

Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:56 am

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 32):

I'm so bummed.
The reason I stuck with CO and now UA was, primarily, service to Love Field, my preferred airport.
And that was BEFORE they opened the fantastic terminal.
Now, there's no single airline that connects my home / point of origin with my preferred destination!

Edited to add:
Well, at present, United is still selling tickets to Love in May. For what it's worth.

[Edited 2015-01-30 18:01:05]

WaywardMemphian

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:12 am

With MEM getting two nonstop a day, wonder what the effect on LIT and it's three Love Field Flights.

Gosh, we up here in XNA country would love to have a WN to DAL flight considering all the Metroplex kids coming to school up here and the booming economy.
Growth projections have Northwest Arkansas at over 800,000 in 15 years. XNA is reportedly figuring out how to add more terminal space as they hit 640,000 enplanements last year.

alfa164

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:20 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 14):

The funny thing is that some posters were insisting that UA had "big" plans for DAL and was going to add a bunch of flights.

...and those posters have suddenly gone into hiding...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

enilria

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:31 am

The DOJ is so awful. How could they allow this? It's an abomination.

Thank god nobody else has asked to merge, they would probably approve it.

ramprat74

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:32 am

That poster was ticking off all the new equipment UA was installing at DAL. I told that person United loves to waste money and I was right again. Hope they move all that nice equipment across town so the mainline employees can use it at DFW.

maxamuus

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:41 am

Quoting ramprat74 (Reply 38):
That poster was ticking off all the new equipment UA was installing at DAL. I told that person United loves to waste money and I was right again.

UA is so dysfunctional, one part of the company was probably spending millions to improve the gates and space at LUV.
While another part of the company was negotiating leasing the space to WN.

Nothing like buying new tires this week, on the car you are trading in next week.

Cubsrule

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:49 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 37):
The DOJ is so awful. How could they allow this? It's an abomination.

This is no worse than taking the gates from AA in the first place and arguably better. WN and AA compete much more vigorously in the metroplex than do UA and AA.

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 32):
WN is operating 153 flights out of DAL. That is 9.5 flights per gate.

I'm not sure that 9.5 is a comfortable number for WN at a station like DAL. That's about the utilization at which things really started to come off the rails at STL in late 2009 and early 2010. LAX runs a number higher than that IIRC but is a bit different because it has much nicer weather and isn't as omnidirectional because of its geography.

airliner371
Topic Author

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:59 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 34):
Well, at present, United is still selling tickets to Love in May. For what it's worth.

It's not really worth much   . United has clearly stated that they are in fact doing this and WN is taking over. So it just hasn't hit the res system yet.

Quoting WaywardMemphian (Reply 35):
Gosh, we up here in XNA country would love to have a WN to DAL flight considering all the Metroplex kids coming to school up here and the booming economy.
Growth projections have Northwest Arkansas at over 800,000 in 15 years. XNA is reportedly figuring out how to add more terminal space as they hit 640,000 enplanements last year.

I'm not going to get into a conversation about this, this isn't the thread for this. But WN is not going to be entering XNA in the foreseeable future.

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 40):
This is no worse than taking the gates from AA in the first place and arguably better. WN and AA compete much more vigorously in the metroplex than do UA and AA.

Exactly, it's not like WN can just charge whatever they want. AA is right there at DFW to compete with WN.

usdcaguy

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:07 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 37):

Thank god nobody else has asked to merge, they would probably approve it.

If you aren't being sarcastic, I totally agree with you. There needs to be room for competing service at all airports at all times, even if it's one flight.

Quoting WaywardMemphian (Reply 35):

I'm surprised this hasn't happened already. That airport was built way, way too modestly. It needed to be three times the size to begin with; they've already expanded that place way past its pre-911 size.

wnflyguy

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:12 am

My predictions for new markets are?

SEA,MEM,MKE know already.

I see ECP or PNS,SJC,PDX,BOS,CHS and CLT.

Long shots IND,CLE or CAK.

Additional flights SNA,SFO,DEN,BNA,FLL,MCO and SAN.

Really left field SJU .

Happy guessing.

And congratulations WN for this achievement.
Exciting times at WN.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

KBUF

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:17 am

You know, WN, you haven't added a new route of of BUF in a while (hint hint)...  

blueflyer

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 17):
That seems rather generous of WN if that does come to fruition.

Not generous, smart. Kicking Delta out will trigger a lawsuit, which might invalidate that very nice, official monopoly Southwest has at Love. Keeping Delta happy is a small price to pay.

airliner371
Topic Author

My guess for the additional 6, BOS, SJC, PDX, RDU, DTW and MSP. If BOS, SJC and PDX aren't counted because those were previously announced last year, I would add CLT, PHL and SLC.

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 43):
I see ECP

Already announced and starting in March.

Really left field SJU .

Interesting point.

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 45):
Not generous, smart. Kicking Delta out will trigger a lawsuit, which might invalidate that very nice, official monopoly Southwest has at Love. Keeping Delta happy is a small price to pay.

I don't see the validity of any lawsuit unless it is repealing the entire amendment so I don't see why Southwest should have to do anything for Delta; particularly because the agreement reached today has received all necessary approvals and follows all sub-leasing protocols. So if DL wants access to DAL, they need to fight the amendment, not UA/WN.

[Edited 2015-01-30 19:22:58]

texdravid

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:50 am

Awesome. Ever since last October, I have been waiting eagerly about DAL-SEA on WN!
It's a busy route that needed to happen as over at DFW it has been a AS/AA duopoly.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

737tdi

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:57 am

Quoting Joeljack (Reply 9):
In addition, it was the Nebraska US Senator at the time that pushed the wright amendment to go away to begin with, it seems like WN seems to have forgotten this!
Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 27):
Texas Logic is pretty slick sometimes. They hold their Cards CLOSE to the Vest..

Well now, the Nebraska senator was second. He did push and I appreciate him for that. Jeb Hensarling was a huge help. All of the Texas politicians were for opening up Love.

Yes, Texans do stay private. It is a way of life here. My business is mine and don't even try to alter it. We are very hard headed.

LoneStarMike

Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:10 am

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 46):
Really left field SJU .

Interesting point.

SJU won't be happening - at least not without a change to the law.. The Wright Amendment Reform Act

Quote:
Prohibits: (1) a person from providing nonstop air passenger service between Love Field, Texas, and any point or points outside the 50 states or the District of Columbia; and (2) a federal official or employee from designating Love Field, Texas, as an initial point of entry into the United States or a last point of departure from the United States.
Source

Even though Puerto Rico wouldn't be considered an international flight, it's not one of the 50 states or the District of Columbia.

LoneStarMike

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos