Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airliner371
Topic Author

Southwest Begins Push In Atlanta

Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:16 pm

AirTran is officially history and Southwest has officially begun an aggressive ad campaign in Atlanta. Billboards, commercials, sales, Delta may just be getting the fight they expected 4 years ago.

http://swamedia.com/releases/launchi...es-shows-atlanta-its-heart?l=en-US
http://www.ajc.com/news/business/sou...-new-campaign/nj2X9/#__federated=1

gen2stew

RE: Southwest Begins Push In Atlanta

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:27 pm

You mean the fight where WN removed a competitor, drastically shrunk the operation, got the A/C of their former competitor at a great price, and are using those frames to fight the company that they got them from? I'm sure Ritchie Anderson is quaking in his boots ( which b.t.w. come in handy for all of the DL b.s. that is slung)? Last I heard DL is still paying for the weekly WN deck parties where peach flavored cool aid has been introduced.
**Sarcasm off now.
Thanks for the Monday morning guffaw!
I don't know why blessings wear disguises. If I were a blessing, I'd run around nude!

jfklganyc

Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:05 pm

Funny

How many flights did they cut in ATL?

I am sure Delta is shaking

adamh8297

Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:10 pm

WN did advertise the hell out of BOS-ATL when the switchover happended from FL. Didn't do them a lot of good since they trimmed a frequency in one of the last updates.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

B757capt

Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:12 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 2):

Exactly what I was thinking.
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

SANFan

Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:46 pm

Prolly just WN trying to get the word out to travelers that they still have a few flights left at ATL! IMHO, a "push" is not exactly the best description of what they're doing...

bb

justplanenutz

Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:51 pm

Quoting Gen2stew (Reply 1):
sure Ritchie Anderson is quaking in his boots
Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 2):
I am sure Delta is shaking

I don't get why folks think replacing a money losing operation built around low yield connections with the most stable, profitable airline in the history of aviation that now carries more, higher yielding ATL PAX is such a bonanza for DL.

WaywardMemphian

Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:11 pm

Love to see how some Southwest Memphis to Atlanta direct flights would do.

Sightseer

Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:23 pm

You'd think they would've tried this before finishing the merger, as a way of showing ATL pax what they could look forward to after FL was integrated. Maybe then they wouldn't have had to cut ATL capacity so much. Oh well. Better late than never.

kcrwflyer

Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:55 pm

Quoting justplanenutz (Reply 6):
I don't get why folks think replacing a money losing operation built around low yield connections with the most stable, profitable airline in the history of aviation that now carries more, higher yielding ATL PAX is such a bonanza for DL.

Lol. You don't understand how removing a gaggle of low fare flights from an airlines hub benefits that airline? And raising the fares on all remaining flights? You don't think that's good for Delta?

frontierflyer

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:01 pm

More like hanging on than a push in ATL

MSPNWA

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:03 pm

WN knew that in order to make FL and ATL a good investment it had to focus on the O&D. It appears they've been making in-roads in that direction, and these marketing pushes will help further. With SkyMiles changing to a revenue-based system this year, this is a good time to make an attack.

LAX772LR

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:04 pm

Look at some of the fares that DL is charging to the former-FL cities that WN pulled out of, and you'll realize why DL isn't exactly crying over any of this.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

justplanenutz

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:09 pm

Quoting kcrwflyer (Reply 9):
Lol. You don't understand how removing a gaggle of low fare flights from an airlines hub benefits that airline? And raising the fares on all remaining flights? You don't think that's good for Delta?

Not really. Unless you think raising fares stimulates demand, that fact that WN is now carrying more Atlanta O&D pax than FL did means they are taking them from somebody else.

justplanenutz

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:12 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 12):
Look at some of the fares that DL is charging to the former-FL cities that WN pulled out of, and you'll realize why DL isn't exactly crying over any of this.

Fair enough. But did fares go up or down on the dots that WN has connected to ATL that FL didn't fly?

Miami

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:12 pm

Push? Didn't they have a cut not too long ago?
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

LAX772LR

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:19 pm

Quoting justplanenutz (Reply 14):
But did fares go up or down on the dots that WN has connected to ATL that FL didn't fly?

What dots are those, of any real significance?

casinterest

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:24 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Thread starter):

It is too early to say exactly what WN is up to in Atlanta, but with the lower oil prices, they do have a chance to help set the stage for some awesome spring and summer fares for all flyers.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Cubsrule

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:24 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 11):
With SkyMiles changing to a revenue-based system this year, this is a good time to make an attack.

How so? WN has a pure revenue-based system and has for years.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

MSPNWA

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 18):
How so? WN has a pure revenue-based system and has for years.

The change from mile-based to revenue-based means the competitive landscape has changed, and for many frequent fliers this makes DL less attractive. Whether WN's is based that way or not is irrelevant (the two systems are very much different anyway).

LAX772LR

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:50 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 19):
and for many frequent fliers this makes DL less attractive.

Compared to who? UA, who's essentially aped them in every way?

Or AA, who's just too distracted by a merger to do the inevitable just yet, despite having nil reason not to, since DL/UA have already done so.

MSPNWA

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:01 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 20):
Compared to who?

Everyone. But since this is about WN marketing in ATL, it should be clear in the posts that it's WN in particular.

justplanenutz

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:04 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 16):

What did they drop, of any real significance? And, while they are likely do dropping, there are still dots to connect.

OA412

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:10 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 19):

In ATL? Not so much. DL's schedule is many magnitudes larger than WN's in ATL. Sure, WN will siphon off some O/D traffic, just as it has in DEN, but it can't offer nearly as much to ATL-based travelers as can DL. I fly WN whenever I can, but there are just some things that UA (and now to a lesser extent F9) can do better for me, and that's going to be the case in ATL as well.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

airliner371
Topic Author

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:27 pm

The SWA executives have said it many times before, WN is getting more local Atlanta passengers on their flights than AirTran did.

tistpaa727

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:29 pm

While this does seem ironic given the fact WN has pulled a lot of traffic away from ATL the new TV spot is clearly a direct hit at DL - "we don't care if you are silver, gold, platinum or pewter..." Pewter made me laugh!

Has WN indicated at all they will increase traffic in ATL?
Don't sweat the little things.

citationjet

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:36 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 12):

Fares have skyrocketed for ICT to ATL since FL pulled out of ICT. DL charges over $1,000 for round trip flights to ATL. We now have to use AA over DFW for $300 to go to ATL.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

Sightseer

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:48 pm

Quoting justplanenutz (Reply 14):

I don't know, but I'm not sure how much it matters when both the total number of dots and the total capacity to all dots have decreased under WN.

justplanenutz

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:03 pm

I guess I would say the opposite--I don't know why it benefits DL that WN chooses to route connections away from ATL if WN is instead taking higher yielding local pax away from them.

LAX772LR

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:22 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 21):
Everyone.

Such as ________?

In case you haven't noticed, most majors in the USA are, or will have, revenue-based FFPs by years end. So tell us who this "everyone" you're speaking of actually is.

Quoting justplanenutz (Reply 22):
What did they drop, of any real significance?

Plenty of smaller and medium-sized cities where FL was the only competition, and where DL has raised the fares by enormous margins in several cases: BUF, PNS, SDF, AUA, MBJ, etc. See CitationJet's reply#26 for further details on one such example.

And since you never actually answered my question, I'll ask you again: what dots are these, that you speak of?

LAX772LR

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:24 pm

Quoting justplanenutz (Reply 28):
if WN is instead taking higher yielding local pax away from them

What real evidence of that is there though? DL doesn't appear to see much of any, especially if Anderson is joking about sending WN a thank you card in his "Right from Richard" address to employees.

deltaflyertoo

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:30 pm

To an extent, Air Tran gave DL SOME competition. Before DL filed for bankruptcy DL had a hard time competing. That changed after chapter 11, all the same Air Tran did a good job at using ATL as a major low yield connecting hub and in a sense found a way to coexist with DL. When WN came in they chopped many of the smaller markets (leaving it all to DL which can now charge higher prices), debanked the entire AIr Tran hub and what is left are routes that DL has a massive Sky Miles following, already frequent flights and now the best cost structure its ever had in its history to compete with the likes of WN.

IMO only I don't think WN did all of its due diligance/homework before the acquisition of exactly how Air Tran had positioned itself to make $$ but at same time not piss off DL.

Cubsrule

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:34 pm

Quoting deltaflyertoo (Reply 31):
IMO only I don't think WN did all of its due diligance/homework before the acquisition of exactly how Air Tran had positioned itself to make $$ but at same time not piss off DL.

Remind us all of how much money FL was making in ATL just before the merger.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

LAX772LR

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:37 pm

Quoting deltaflyertoo (Reply 31):

Meh, seemed they were more interested in the 1-2 punch of of knocking out a competitor and scoring some cheap 73Gs in the process.... than anything having to do with DL.

Say what you want about all the others, but THAT merger was anti-competitive to the core.

justplanenutz

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:40 pm

I don't have a list in front of me, but am I wrong that they have connected dots? And is "Right from Richard" real evidence while public statements by WN execs are not? I'm guessing neither one of us has the real numbers in front of us.

My point was not that WN has not shifted capacity away from ATL or even that DL has not benefitted in those reduced markets, but that the idea that DL now has a stronger, more locally focused competitor in ATL is not a bonanza for DL.

airliner371
Topic Author

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:50 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 32):
Remind us all of how much money FL was making in ATL just before the merger.

Exactly, the AirTran we knew wasn't going to last much longer. WN basically saved FL from going through some kind of dramatic transformation, whether that be towards an ULCC model or some other kind of shift.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 16):

San Diego, Oklahoma City and Austin. Seattle was served rather lousy by FL so WN has improved Seattle service.

Also, WN has tried Norfolk, Hartford and Louisville but those have or will be ending.

Sightseer

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:13 pm

Quoting justplanenutz (Reply 34):
I don't have a list in front of me, but am I wrong that they have connected dots?

They've connected three dots and disconnected 18 by my (unofficial) count, WN has added AUS, OKC, SAN, SDF, ORF, and BDL from ATL. The latter three are now gone or will be gone. Other markets WN has dropped include:

BDA, HSV, MIA (but not FLL), LEX, BMI, MLI, ACY, HPN, ABE, TYS, PHF, IAD, AUA, MBJ, and SJU. Granted, most of those markets were dropped by WN altogether, for what that's worth to the local ATL passenger.

[Edited 2015-02-02 12:33:39]

MSPNWA

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:36 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 23):
In ATL? Not so much. DL's schedule is many magnitudes larger than WN's in ATL. Sure, WN will siphon off some O/D traffic, just as it has in DEN, but it can't offer nearly as much to ATL-based travelers as can DL. I fly WN whenever I can, but there are just some things that UA (and now to a lesser extent F9) can do better for me, and that's going to be the case in ATL as well.

Those items are all besides the point. WN's disadvantages and advantages were mostly in place with FL and will remain. It will never offer the ATL network DL will. But that's all water under the bridge when it comes to WN having an opportunity to sway DL elites disadvantaged by the new SkyMiles program.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 29):
Such as ________?

I already said it, every other airline with a program. I sense that you do not understand what a shift in the competitive market is. When a company devalues its frequent flier program for most users, it means other airlines now gain in the competitive market known as FF programs. Sometimes airlines don't take the new advantage in relation to yours (.e.g UA in relation to DL's change), but any airline that holds firm will gain it. It's one reason this is a good time for WN to make a push for current DL elites.

TheMSYGuy

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:37 pm

Was WN expected to do well when it first started service to DEN? They had quite a bit of competition with F9 and UA, but they seem to be the favored airline there now.

Not that it's likely to happen in ATL, but I'm just curious.

diverdave

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:39 pm

Quoting justplanenutz (Reply 34):
And is "Right from Richard" real evidence while public statements by WN execs are not?

Can you provide some links?

All I can find is a year old article saying O&D was down 10% at that time.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/p...02/14/unrequited-luv.html?page=all

Quoting Sightseer (Reply 36):
BDA, HSV, MIA (but not FLL), LEX, BMI, MLI, ACY, HPN, ABE, TYS, PHF, IAD, AUA, MBJ, and SJU. Granted, most of those markets were dropped by WN altogether.

HSV was never served out of ATL. I can only imagine the reaction on the part of the widget if that had happened.

AirTran service to HSV was a guaranteed failure with flights only to BWI and MCO.  

David

airliner371
Topic Author

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:51 pm

Quoting Sightseer (Reply 36):
BDA, HSV, MIA (but not FLL), LEX, BMI, MLI, ACY, HPN, ABE, TYS, PHF, IAD, AUA, MBJ, and SJU. Granted, most of those markets were dropped by WN altogether.

A few fixes. On your list, HSV, LEX and TYS were not served from ATL. ATL-MLI & MIA were both ending before the acquisition. AirTran added BDL-ATL and it was a complete failure so that was seasonal for one year.

So here's my list of cities that had Atlanta service on AirTran at the time of the acquisition and do not today. Starred are cities that Southwest does not serve today.

SRQ*, BKG*, PNS, UTM*, ROC, ICT, GPT*, FNT, BUF, DAY, PWM, BMI*, ACY*, HPN*, ABE*, PHF*, IAD, AUA, MBJ and SJU.

That is 20 cities. I'm not counting DFW because SWA now serves DAL. New cities that have stuck are OKC, SAN and AUS.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 30):
What real evidence of that is there though? DL doesn't appear to see much of any, especially if Anderson is joking about sending WN a thank you card in his "Right from Richard" address to employees.
Quoting diverdave (Reply 39):

All I can find is a year old article saying O&D was down 10% at that time.

I'm not saying WN is taking local Atlanta passengers away from Delta. But what SWA executives have said is that they are getting more local Atlanta passengers on their flights than AirTran did.

[Edited 2015-02-02 12:55:11]

Sightseer

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:56 pm

HSV was never served out of ATL.

Oops, my mistake. Thanks for picking up on that. And for yours as well, airliner371.

[Edited 2015-02-02 12:58:12]

[Edited 2015-02-02 12:58:34]

1337Delta764

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:07 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 40):
PHF*,

WN serves ORF (Norfolk, which is in the same metro area as PHF), although no longer from ATL.

justplanenutz

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:30 pm

This a little over a year old too, but in it Bob Jordan says:

"We were already gaining local share as compared to AirTran..."

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...tions-despite-some-shrinkage.html/

kcrwflyer

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:49 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 42):
WN serves ORF (Norfolk, which is in the same metro area as PHF), although no longer from ATL.

I've spent a lot of time in that region and would rather paddle a canoe across the bay than drive from PHF to ORF if there is any level of traffic.

rtalk25

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:57 pm

So here's my list of cities that had Atlanta service on AirTran at the time of the acquisition and do not today. Starred are cities that Southwest does not serve today.
ABE*,

Actually, a year or more before the acquisition, all ABE had was Florida (MCO, FLL) service. It didn't even offer ABE-MCO-ATL which I never understood, although it's a backtrack.

AirTran service to HSV was a guaranteed failure with flights only to BWI and MCO.

It did offer connections through BWI though, including BOS and some northeast cities.

I noticed FL didn't want to compete directly against DL ATL on smaller markets or smaller markets over 500 miles from ATL.

It probably didn't offer HSV-ATL because it was too short, though. It did offer CLT-ATL and WN has decided not to offer it likely because it's too short for good O&D.

Quoting kcrwflyer (Reply 44):

I've spent a lot of time in that region and would rather paddle a canoe across the bay than drive from PHF to ORF if there is any level of traffic.

WN does still offer RIC-ATL though.

[Edited 2015-02-02 14:04:24]

airliner371
Topic Author

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Quoting rtalk25 (Reply 45):
Actually, a year or more before the acquisition, all ABE had was Florida (MCO, FLL) service. It didn't even offer ABE-MCO-ATL which I never understood, although it's a backtrack.

ABE had seasonal service to ATL.

rtalk25

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:05 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 46):
ABE had seasonal service to ATL.

I think it was discontinued well before the acquisition from WN. Even FL didn't want to put all eggs in the ATL basket competing against DL, and was choosing to diversify with MKE and BWI instead, just prior to the WN acquisition.

[Edited 2015-02-02 14:08:18]

airliner371
Topic Author

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:21 pm

Quoting rtalk25 (Reply 47):
I think it was discontinued well before the acquisition from WN. Even FL didn't want to put all eggs in the ATL basket competing against DL, and was choosing to diversify with MKE and BWI instead, just prior to the WN acquisition.
http://web.archive.org/web/201103261...om/route-map/city_information.aspx

LAX772LR

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:26 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 37):
I already said it, every other airline with a program

I saw that the first time... but repeating it doesn't make it any less nonsensical than it was then.

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 37):
I sense that you do not understand what a shift in the competitive market is. When a company devalues its frequent flier program for most users, it means other airlines now gain in the competitive market known as FF programs.

I sense you do not understand that just about every other major has or will do the same thing-- thus, AGAIN, who are these "every other" airlines that are going to "gain"? Name some names.

It really isn't a difficult question, and yet, you can't seem to answer it without a meaningless generalization.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos