Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WIederling

Re: A350 In Service Thread - Part 3

Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:45 am

zeke wrote:
That is an engine change team in TPE (mechanics), they had nothing to do with this. The reason why this took longer than normal is that lithium batteries cannot be shipped on passenger aircraft, it needed to be placed on a cargo only flight.

could one take the 747 engine transport fix?

I.e. Airbus needs to add a fifth superficially functional battery "place" to the A350 that can be MELed ( and will be MEL most of the time) ?

So if the fifth "for transport item" can be seen as "installed LI battery" :-)
Murphy is an optimist

zeke

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:31 am

CX Flyboy wrote:
Oh I don't doubt you about the battery which appears to be the real reason for the delay and not simply because we were short of mechanics.

You either needed someone there with a CAD licence to carry out the maintenance procedure and sign it off on the electronic logbook or send the replacement part with someone to install it. The decision was made to send the replacement part but they only realised later it was not for carriage on the passenger flights being operated there. I don't know if the part came from HKG or the Airbus stores in SIN.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

zeke

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:40 am

WIederling wrote:
could one take the 747 engine transport fix?

So if the fifth "for transport item" can be seen as "installed LI battery" :-)

The MEL already permits the dispatch with one inop. The one that tripped offline was one of the ones connected to the emergency bus, so the procedure was to take one of the batteries from the normal bus and swap it over. The normal bus is powered from the engines normally.

The batteries are not what you would see in most vehicles, it is a series of cells with an intelligent charger and monitoring unit. When the monitoring unit trips offline it needs to be sent back to the manufacturer.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

WIederling

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:30 pm

zeke wrote:
The batteries are not what you would see in most vehicles, it is a series of cells with an intelligent charger and monitoring unit. When the monitoring unit trips offline it needs to be sent back to the manufacturer.

Right, they have their design foundation in automotive Li-Ion tech stuff. Rather sophisticated actually.
No comparison to the NICAD derived "tincan" used for the 787 initially.

My understanding was that the 4 batteries are "unspecific", working in a (n,n<4) four fold symmetrically redundant arrangement ?
or is it as you write two sets of two fold redundancy ? ( theoretical best redudancy/states per bit/ whatnot is e ( 2.71...) being in the integer domain it is either 2 or 3 )
Murphy is an optimist

Ncfc99

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:10 pm

Are any a350's seeing regular service into LHR at the moment?

zeke

Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:32 pm

WIederling wrote:
My understanding was that the 4 batteries are "unspecific", working in a (n,n<4) four fold symmetrically redundant arrangement ?
or is it as you write two sets of two fold redundancy ? ( theoretical best redudancy/states per bit/ whatnot is e ( 2.71...) being in the integer domain it is either 2 or 3 )

The two sides are basically mirrored down the centre of the aircraft, on the AC side each engine has two variable frequency 230V generators, these feed the 2 normal AC busses on each side. One of these AC busses is connected to the normal DC bus, the other to the emergency AC bus. The emergency AC bus powers the emergency DC bus. Each side has a battery connected to the normal DC bus and another battery connected to the emergency DC bus on that side, so 4 in total. Each side is redundant as AC busses on the same side can be connected, I.e. each engine driven generator can power its own side if the other generator on the same side failed (both the normal and emergency bus)

Then there are bus ties between the two sides, so the left side can be connected to the right (automatically if needed), ie the normal AC or DC can be connected to the normal AC or DC on the other side, and the emergency AC and DC busses can be connected to the other side.

BOAC1966

Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:58 pm

Lagos and Bangkok now served along with Joburg! Good week.

KarelXWB

Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:07 pm

And so ET starts operating their first Airbus jet.

What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

ETinCaribe

Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:19 pm

According to ET's CEO, the current lone A350 will operate on the ADD-LOS and ADD-DXB sectors and other destinations within a 4-5 hours flying radius to ADD. Once ET gets its second A350, both a/c will be on the ADD-LHR daily flight.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ybdGiEjxFA

KarelXWB

Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:20 pm

SQ 4th A350 (9V-SMD) entered revenue service to CGK.

https://www.flightradar24.com/reg/9v-smd

Will depart for AMS later today.

alhenderson

Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:32 pm

Ncfc99 wrote:
Are any a350's seeing regular service into LHR at the moment?

Finnair do some flights with them to utilise their cargo carrying abilities (think they used to do something similar with A340s). I have seen one there on the first flight of the day on a Sunday, think they do a couple more each week as well.

Al.

StTim

Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:59 pm

I think Ethiopian will be the first regular service

BOAC1966

Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:36 pm

ET certainly throwing the aircraft around! Now in Kinshasa! Airbus and ET must be very confident in the aircraft with destinations such as Lagos and Kinshasa in opening week of service. Very well done as showing the pedigree of this fine aircraft. Putting it through its paces as it did with the 787. Makes you question QR very conservative approach in deployment and why they have been so awkward in accepting aircraft.

Aircellist

Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:39 pm

zeke wrote:
CX Flyboy wrote:
Oh I don't doubt you about the battery which appears to be the real reason for the delay and not simply because we were short of mechanics.

You either needed someone there with a CAD licence to carry out the maintenance procedure and sign it off on the electronic logbook or send the replacement part with someone to install it. The decision was made to send the replacement part but they only realised later it was not for carriage on the passenger flights being operated there. I don't know if the part came from HKG or the Airbus stores in SIN.

Pardon my ignorance, but how can it be that a piece of equipment that is certified to be used on a passenger plane is not permitted to be transported on a passenger flight?
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

hongkongflyer

Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:17 pm

CX Flyboy wrote:
B-LRA has been stuck in Manila since friday with a main battery issue. Will finally return to HKG in the next few hours.

It was the second time B-LRA suffered issues related to the battery.
It has lost electricity completely on ground in TPE when preparing departure to HKG.
The flight ended up delayed for a few hours.

trex8

Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:43 pm

Aircellist wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but how can it be that a piece of equipment that is certified to be used on a passenger plane is not permitted to be transported on a passenger flight?

I guess its the same rational behind you cant bring a spare free standing Li ion battery in your baggage. Its more dangerous un connected to anything than if its in the equipment its supposed to power.

zeke

Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:58 pm

Aircellist wrote:

ICAO banned the carriage of Li Ion batteries as cargo on passenger aircraft earlier this year.

http://www.icao.int/Newsroom/Pages/ICAO ... craft.aspx

When installed they are connected and are therefore can be monitored.

Every night the aircraft is in Hkg the aircraft is used for mechanics to train on. The fault was traced back to something that was done during training.

AirlineCritic

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:31 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
Finnair's 6th A350, OH-LWF, entered service to BKK yesterday.

Wohoo! As an aside, I've yet to be able to take a long haul flight with AY 350s, but I have in the last month flown them twice on short haul. BRU and LHR... out of my not so many short haul flights this month. Makes me wonder how much they are being used on short haul. More crew training? Testing on short haul before they let a new frame for long haul? Something else, what?

Aircellist

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:43 pm

zeke wrote:
Aircellist wrote:

ICAO banned the carriage of Li Ion batteries as cargo on passenger aircraft earlier this year.

http://www.icao.int/Newsroom/Pages/ICAO ... craft.aspx

When installed they are connected and are therefore can be monitored.

Every night the aircraft is in Hkg the aircraft is used for mechanics to train on. The fault was traced back to something that was done during training.

Thank you very much. Makes sense.

Does that mean, then, that Airbus (or Boeing, for that matter) could develop a "mock connexion" to eventually allow the carriage of spare batteries in a case like this one? Or if it will always be in fact simpler to send said battery on a cargo flight?
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

zeke

Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:39 am

Aircellist wrote:
Does that mean, then, that Airbus (or Boeing, for that matter) could develop a "mock connexion" to eventually allow the carriage of spare batteries in a case like this one? Or if it will always be in fact simpler to send said battery on a cargo flight?

I think they will continue with the current solution. If one is not available in a local parts store, apply the MEL and get the aircraft to its normal base, or fly a replacement on a cargo aircraft. This was a learning exercise for all involved.

hongkongflyer

Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:46 am

CX Flyboy wrote:
zeke wrote:
CX Flyboy wrote:
You know as well as I do that CX puts together a team of engineers from TPE to fly all over the world to fix AOG CX aircraft. TPE is an online port for the A350 so they would obviously have mechanics there licensed to do any work required. For those who wish to find out more, they were featured in our publicly available in-house magazine CX World a few months back.

That is an engine change team in TPE (mechanics), they had nothing to do with this. The reason why this took longer than normal is that lithium batteries cannot be shipped on passenger aircraft, it needed to be placed on a cargo only flight.

So you are now saying that the reason for the 2 day AOG was in fact difficultly getting a spare part to MNL to replace the faulty part.

Yes, they waited to get the spare parts shipped from HKG and the process was delayed for unknown reason.

johnclipper

Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:24 am

What if the aircraft is AOG at an airport that is not services by a freighter?
"Flown every aircraft since the Wright Flyer" (guys, if you take this literally, then you need to get a life...)

hongkongflyer

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:09 am

johnclipper wrote:
What if the aircraft is AOG at an airport that is not services by a freighter?

charter a flight to deliver the parts or do a tempary fix and ferry the plane to a maintance place

p.s. CX's 350 today go tech again

KarelXWB

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:03 am

Qatar's latest A350 (A7-ALI) went into service yesterday:

https://www.flightradar24.com/reg/a7-ali

seat64k

Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:41 pm

I was lucky that a flight I booked months ago turned out to be the one Cathay swapped the new bird onto. So flying from TPE to HKG last night, I noticed something:

In the final part of the descent, when the cabin lights would usually be turned off, the coloured lights were still on:

Is this the new normal or was this maybe an oversight?

zeke

Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:37 pm

Not sure you can call anything normal, lots of flights have first time crews on them. It will take some time to get things standard.

Unusual to have it flying at night at its needed in the hanger for training.

seat64k

Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:46 pm

zeke wrote:
Unusual to have it flying at night at its needed in the hanger for training.

It would have been back early evening but the HKG-TPE leg before it was delayed. But I'm not complaining - views of HK were great!

zeke

Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:53 pm

Ok give us some time to work it's personality out. It's very much in a training phase and are learning things all the time.

StTim

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:14 pm

And how do the troops on the ground (and those that crew the A350) feel about her?

seat64k

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:16 pm

zeke wrote:
Ok give us some time to work it's personality out. It's very much in a training phase and are learning things all the time.

Are you one of the lucky ones who get to fly this gorgeous machine? :)

Something else I wondered. I wasn't keeping time, but it felt like, once we started rolling down the runway, we were airborne awfully quickly. Almost narrow-body quickly. Was this just my imagination or is it in fact an improvement in that regard?

7BOEING7

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:11 pm

seat64k wrote:

Something else I wondered. I wasn't keeping time, but it felt like, once we started rolling down the runway, we were airborne awfully quickly. Almost narrow-body quickly. Was this just my imagination or is it in fact an improvement in that regard?

Although the airplane may have been full of passengers it probably had nowhere near its total fuel capacity -- the lighter the weight the sooner you get airborne (plus or minus other factors).

seat64k

Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:00 pm

7BOEING7 wrote:
seat64k wrote:
Although the airplane may have been full of passengers it probably had nowhere near its total fuel capacity -- the lighter the weight the sooner you get airborne (plus or minus other factors).

Aah yes, that's a good point! It still felt a lot quicker than the 777 that took me from HKG to TPE, but that may be my imagination.

ap305

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:48 pm

a350 dispatch reliability now at 98.5% barely 18 months after entering service...

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... gu-427386/
Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all my life. And it stands up before anything else- Ayrton Senna

EPA001

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:57 pm

ap305 wrote:
a350 dispatch reliability now at 98.5% barely 18 months after entering service...

That is an impressive number for sure! :)

seat64k

Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:43 pm

I had the opportunity to fly with AY on their A350 yesterday and today. One thing that immediately surprised me is shoulder room was tighter than I expected, based on my experience with CX's A350. Does anyone know why? Are the seats simply closer to the sides?

CX Flyboy

Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:11 am

EPA001 wrote:
ap305 wrote:

Does anyone have any other reliability stats for other modern aircraft types that have entered service?

ap305

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:05 am

CX Flyboy wrote:
EPA001 wrote:
ap305 wrote:

Does anyone have any other reliability stats for other modern aircraft types that have entered service?

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/ ... 02575.html

According to that article the 777 was at 97.9% for 12 months and on target for 98% at the same 18 month mark.....
Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all my life. And it stands up before anything else- Ayrton Senna

zeke

Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:01 pm

CX Flyboy wrote:
EPA001 wrote:
ap305 wrote:

787 was 96.5-97% around the same time

“The airplane did not perform in service from a reliability standpoint to our expectations,” he conceded. “So we put a lot of time and effort into fixing components that were malfunctioning or breaking.” Consequently, Boeing aggressively addressed the issues “mainly because we had to,” said Loftis, improving reliability rates from roughly between 96.5 and 97 percent in the spring of 2013, following the grounding of the worldwide fleet due to battery overheating, to close to 99 percent today.

From http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/ ... production

CX Flyboy

Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Thanks. Any stats for aircraft like the A330, A340, 737NG ETC?

CX Flyboy

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:16 am

Both CX A350s delayed today. LRC has had its first flights cancelled and LRA is delayed several hours as they're trying to fix a broken overhead locker apparently.

zeke

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:55 am

CX Flyboy wrote:
Both CX A350s delayed today. LRC has had its first flights cancelled and LRA is delayed several hours as they're trying to fix a broken overhead locker apparently.

Who really cares if an overhead locker is "broken" sounds like your hoping it will have problems. That's the sort of thing that can be ADD in the cabin log and the aircraft dispatched, happens regularly on other types.

CX Flyboy

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:22 am

Oh I'm sorry I thought a big part of this thread was to monitor delays and issues which are affecting the A350 in service, teething problems included.

A broken overhead locker does happen but if it causes a 2-3hour delay then it isn't simple a speed tape/ZADD fix. Also the only way of identifying a trend of similar issues is for the very first incidence of something happening to be recorded.

I'm not hoping the A350 has issues and we all know how you are Airbuses biggest fan. No need to be so sensitive.

zeke

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:43 am

It wasn't an overhead locker, it was the ceiling. A passenger who I won't need you to guess the nationality thought the ceiling was an overhead locker and literally broke it. It is not a problem with the aircraft.

LRC is not going anywhere because the maintenance provider did not install the English/Chinese safety instructions in the aircraft as per local regulations.

Both issues are nothing to do with the aircraft itself.

You have shown yet again you have no idea what you are talking about, just making something sound sensational when it isn't.

ikolkyo

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:18 am

zeke wrote:
CX Flyboy wrote:

Who really cares if an overhead locker is "broken" sounds like your hoping it will have problems. That's the sort of thing that can be ADD in the cabin log and the aircraft dispatched, happens regularly on other types.

He was reporting a service issue that had appeared, you need to relax man. Your beloved A350 is still operating very well for a new type.

CX Flyboy

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:55 am

zeke wrote:
It wasn't an overhead locker, it was the ceiling. A passenger who I won't need you to guess the nationality thought the ceiling was an overhead locker and literally broke it. It is not a problem with the aircraft.

LRC is not going anywhere because the maintenance provider did not install the English/Chinese safety instructions in the aircraft as per local regulations.

Both issues are nothing to do with the aircraft itself.

You have shown yet again you have no idea what you are talking about, just making something sound sensational when it isn't.

You're right it was the ceiling. I've subsequently seen the photos. The issue stems from the fact that there are no overhead lockers at the back of the plane where the passenger assumed there would be, and pulled a panel off. Considering we have had one A350 in service for a month or so, I wonder how often this issue is going to come up once we have 20+ -900s in service all with the same issue....so it sort of is an issue with the aircraft itself.

However either way there is no need to be rude Zeke.

mjoelnir

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:18 am

I love the A350 and am a fan of Airbus. But the A350 in service thread should cover almost everything regarding the A350 in service and I would not exclude broken lockers or ceiling. Finnair had damage to the toilet ceiling or wall very early. There were quality problems with the installed boxes for the IFE at Finnair and so on. It can be a sign of the quality of the interior fittings.

zeke

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:22 pm

The problem is we have a person jumping on this thread like they were a 12 year old reporting every little rumour like it is fact (and using the word fact). Go back and see what was posted and see for yourself if you think I hindsight now what was posted was misleading. If they were not sure, they should have said so.

This was not a manufacturing issue, design issue, or quality issue, to be blunt it's vandleism. It's right up there with stealing safety cards, seat belts, life jackets, and toilet amenities that some passengers do that can cause services being cancelled. The other comment stated "the fact that there is no overhead lockers at the back of the plane" I am sure they have seen the same photos I have which clearly show an open overhead locker right next where the ceiling was pulled down. Again it's to make a big deal out of something it's not.

LRC didn't go on its first flight because the maintenance provider failed to conduct all the tasks required to put it on the local register for passenger carriage. There is a local dual English/Chinese sinage requirement. Again this is not a problem with the aircraft itself.

ap305

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:13 pm

http://airinfo.org/2016/07/20/cathay-pa ... mier-a350/

Apparently CX is quite pleased with the bird so far....

Erebus

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:19 pm

CX Flyboy wrote:
Considering we have had one A350 in service for a month or so, I wonder how often this issue is going to come up once we have 20+ -900s in service all with the same issue....so it sort of is an issue with the aircraft itself.

You had one instance of this happening, you are yourself unsure how many times it will happen again and yet you decide to call it an "issue" with the aircraft as if it was a recurring problem? Facts over FUD please.

CX Flyboy

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:55 pm

I should have known better than to post anything which could be construed as negative here. What was I thinking? perhaps you should have the thread all to yourselves. Only pro-A350 posts here please.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos