JAmie2k9

RE: Irish 3/15: Fasten Seatbelts - Turbulence Ahead!

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:33 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 149):
Can't some of the 40x gates at the end of the terminal be screened from the rest of T2 to be used as CBP gates? If EI do expand then something will have to give, either fewer US airlines use CBP in DUB or not all EI flights clear CBP in DUB, assuming CBP won't extended staffing/opening hours beyond current times. They are under no obligation to extend the times if they don't want to, look at BA3, that no longer pre-clears at SNN. EK might be encouraged to move, possibly just their boarding area, which could be in Pier B, directly under an EK lounge in the old Gold Circle/DAA space and/or EI could do more short-haul and operate YYZ from B.

They can and they already use 421, 423, 426. There is still a good deal of room for increased US flights. It's opened from 07.00 to 16.00 and the new 07.50 to JFK is almost certain to clear while ET said in an interview 3 weeks ago no decision had being made about USPC so it's likely to open from 06.00 during the summer. They supplied extra staff last year.

SNN is different to DUB and that was the only late BA flight with less that 50 passengers while late afternoon ex DUB cater for up to 900 passengers. Perhaps some staff were moved to DUB at the time as well and they couldn't cover it as a result. What are it's hours currently?

There is scope for growth before short haul would have to move, not certain but only moving EK/EY wouldn't made any difference to US capacity in terms of stands.

AmricanShamrok

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:37 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 149):
Their franchise model did't work so well with flyBe at SEN. Hopefully it will mature over time.

RE is good as a feeder airline. It doesn't really make sense for them to be a franchise for point-to-point operators BE (SEN) or WX (CWL). They should be going after the likes of Iberia Regional, KLM CityHopper, Lufthansa Regional etc. to be one of those feeder carriers into their major hubs.

Quoting JAmie2k9 (Reply 150):
What are it's hours currently?

SNN preclearance is 07:00-15:00.

iRISH251

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:03 pm

Quoting Phen (Reply 147):
The current development plan in order of completion includes redevelopment of Pier A, then extending Pier B out parallel to Pier E, then I believe Pier F (from T2) and eventually a Pier G in T1 and finally extension of the redeveloped Pier B if necessary like so:

That Pier B redevelopment would require runway 16/34 to be withdrawn and built over. While there are arguments for and against that, I think it's a move that would have implications for sustainability of operations 364 days a year. There have been hearings into the airport developmment plans at which pilots' representatives have counselled against closure of this runway. Once lost, there would be no getting it back.

BrianDromey

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:15 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 151):
RE is good as a feeder airline. It doesn't really make sense for them to be a franchise for point-to-point operators BE (SEN) or WX (CWL). They should be going after the likes of Iberia Regional, KLM CityHopper, Lufthansa Regional etc. to be one of those feeder carriers into their major hubs.

The bother is I don't think too many airlines have an appetite for that kind of service at the moment. The market in Europe is very much dominated by what the Americans would call "mainline" equipment.Airlines in Europe have a clear preference for A319/320 size equipment (increasingly A320/A321) and sacrificing frequency, the opposite of the US.
RE and BE out of SEN was a clear marriage of convenience for Stobart Aviation, RE doesn't have the brand value that someone like BE does. I think they could build it, Stobart is a well known brand in the UK, just not as an airline. SEN is advertised on the bak of a lot of lorries here in the UK.

Quoting JAmie2k9 (Reply 150):
There is scope for growth before short haul would have to move, not certain but only moving EK/EY wouldn't made any difference to US capacity in terms of stands.

Not directly, but it could free up two "non-CBP" stands for single-aisle use at peak times, which might allow more CBP comparable stands to be used for US passengers, without the need for busses. Not that busses are necessarily the worst thing in the world, if managed properly. I seem to recall A330s departing from Pier D before Pier E opened, I'd argue thats worse. At least CBP gates are already ground level.

Phen

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:16 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 153):
I seem to recall A330s departing from Pier D before Pier E opened

I flew DUB-IAD with EI in early 2009 and we departed from Pier D. The long walk was the worst part, but aside from that it wasn't too bad as it was a lovely day and it was great to board an A330 by stairs and get a feel for the size of the aircraft. But certainly on a wet and windy day it would not have been fun. For most people, being bussed would probably be more comfortable.

6 by Phen2206, on Flickr
7 by Phen2206, on Flickr

Phen

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:51 pm

Just watching the latest Transport Committee meeting, where Stephen Kavanagh and Colm Barrington are representing EI and being questioned by some of the opposition ring-leaders.

Timmy Dooley has quite the attitude, and is accusing the Board of EI of building up the airline just to get it sold off to the likes of IAG in order to cash in on share sales and bonuses etc. What a twisted point of view. He forgets that he himself belongs to the party who was in government when EI was floated in the first place, and now he's sitting on his high horse claiming that EI is putting it's own interests before those of the country - of course it will - it's not a state body any more! Honestly, no wonder the country is the way it is...

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp...vewebcast/DVR-Flash-Committee4.htm
An interesting debate nonetheless...even just for a few laughs at the ignorance of those we elect...

Edit: And now a TD suggesting EI serve GWY - what a great idea with NOC and SNN only an hour each side of Galway  

[Edited 2015-02-17 09:53:33]

[Edited 2015-02-17 09:54:28]

OA260

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:32 pm

Aer Lingus hit by £40m damages claim by Belfast International airport
Irish airline, which is in the middle of a takeover bid by BA owner IAG, is accused of breach of contract over its 2012 move to Belfast George Best City airport

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...m-by-belfast-international-airport

JAmie2k9

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:41 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 153):
Not directly, but it could free up two "non-CBP" stands for single-aisle use at peak times, which might allow more CBP comparable stands to be used for US passengers, without the need for busses. Not that busses are necessarily the worst thing in the world, if managed properly. I seem to recall A330s departing from Pier D before Pier E opened, I'd argue thats worse. At least CBP gates are already ground level.

It wouldn't make a difference.

Eagleboy

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:44 pm

Quoting Phen (Reply 155):

Just watching the latest Transport Committee meeting, where Stephen Kavanagh and Colm Barrington are representing EI and being questioned by some of the opposition ring-leaders.

I cringed while watching....they all sound like small town county councilors. One senator had to have codeshare's and alliance's explained to him. A few others were looking for guarantees; that EI would expand/start T/A service from SNN/ORK!!

stratocruiser

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:57 am

Quoting irish251 (Reply 152):

That Pier B redevelopment would require runway 16/34 to be withdrawn and built over. While there are arguments for and against that, I think it's a move that would have implications for sustainability of operations 364 days a year. There have been hearings into the airport developmment plans at which pilots' representatives have counselled against closure of this runway. Once lost, there would be no getting it back.

I agree that withdrawing runway 16/34 would be a serious mistake. Just look at the number of times already this year that it has been the only usable runway in Dublin because of strong winds putting runway 10/28 outside of crosswind limits for landing aircraft. As extreme weather seems to be happening more frequently in recent years, the loss of 16/34 would almost certainly result in a huge increase in numbers of diversions with all the chaos and expense that causes. It is far easier to keep an existing runway rather than have to go through all the planning hearings, noise objections and other nonsense associated with building new runways, should it be decided at some stage in the future that closing it was a mistake.

Clydenairways

Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:53 am

Quoting stratocruiser (Reply 159):

I agree that withdrawing runway 16/34 would be a serious mistake. Just look at the number of times already this year that it has been the only usable runway in Dublin because of strong winds putting runway 10/28 outside of crosswind limits for landing aircraft. As extreme weather seems to be happening more frequently in recent years, the loss of 16/34 would almost certainly result in a huge increase in numbers of diversions with all the chaos and expense that causes. It is far easier to keep an existing runway rather than have to go through all the planning hearings, noise objections and other nonsense associated with building new runways, should it be decided at some stage in the future that closing it was a mistake.

I think it will be closed. The blueprint for most airport layouts these days is for parallel runways with the terminal area sitting right in the middle. That seems to be the optimum layout to maximise efficiency.
While Dublin does have some strong winds, it will not be enough to justify keeping the cross runway. The space will be used for future expansion.

321neoLR

Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:23 pm

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 160):

I think it will be closed. The blueprint for most airport layouts these days is for parallel runways with the terminal area sitting right in the middle. That seems to be the optimum layout to maximise efficiency.
While Dublin does have some strong winds, it will not be enough to justify keeping the cross runway. The space will be used for future expansion.

I think the solution is the layout of BUB Brussels. Parallel runways with one other runway to the south.

It would mean building two new runways, but it would solve all of the problems.

Apart from the local housing noise complaints, it should work

iRISH251

Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:45 pm

Quoting 321neoLR (Reply 161):

I think the solution is the layout of BUB Brussels. Parallel runways with one other runway to the south.

Apart from the local housing noise complaints, it should work.

Money is not going to be spent anytime soon on a new-build cross-runway that might be used only a couple of days a month. The northern parallel would and should take precedence. What you refer to as "local housing noise complaints" would knock such a development on the head, IMHO. It is one thing for people to accept something that is already in being, but a different matter when it comes to a proposed new project.

Phen

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:40 pm

Quoting 321neoLR (Reply 161):

I don't think its as big a 'problem' as you suggest in the first place, I haven't heard many at all talking about the indispensibility of a crosswind runway at DUB but I'm happy to be pointed in the direction of those concerns   Irish 251 is correct - no way a third runway at DUB is even being thought about at the moment, never mind seriously planned. Building a new non-parellel runway would involve significant costs and major planning, which isn't justifiable or necessary right now.

ClassicLover

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:21 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 144):
Still impressed everytime I use the BHD service. An easy airport to get to and curbside to lounge in less than 5 mins. Also a lovely lounge. Just wish we could have one in DUB like it!

That's a lovely lounge - now I understand why you like it so much!

It really makes the DAA lounges look even worse! I'll have to get up to Belfast sometime for a flight to London  
Quoting EI121 (Reply 145):
- I would also like to hear everyones views on the potential takeover.

I'm backing it completely!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

EI121

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:58 pm

Just wondering did anyone watch the Transport Committee meeting with Colm Barrington and Stephen Kavanagh of EI last night?

Colm Barrington stated at one point that EI will add an additional 2 routes to North America in 2016, one to the east coast and one to the west coast, regardless if the IAG will take over or not.

Im just wondering was this always the case or has this just appeared in the last few weeks?

Also how will they accommodate these additional routes? I know that an additional 757 is due to enter the fleet next year. But IMHO the only destination on the east coast that they may serve is MIA which I presume would have to be an A330 service. Also with the west coast destination would the additional A330 being added this year be able to cover that route next year, or would they be also relying on an additional aircraft to enter the fleet?

Thanks in advance!  

EI121   

EI320

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:59 pm

Just look at the number of times already this year that it has been the only usable runway in Dublin because of strong winds putting runway 10/28 outside of crosswind limits for landing aircraft

I guess the key issue here is; if 16/34 was not available, what proportion of movements would be disrupted on an annual basis? The DAA should have this data readily available. I reckon that the proportion would be exceptionally small, and certainly not sufficient to justify its retention when the current terminal infrastructure requires expanding. 16/34 could be described as a "nice to have", but not critical.

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:24 pm

Quoting EI121 (Reply 165):
Also how will they accommodate these additional routes? I know that an additional 757 is due to enter the fleet next year. But IMHO the only destination on the east coast that they may serve is MIA which I presume would have to be an A330 service. Also with the west coast destination would the additional A330 being added this year be able to cover that route next year, or would they be also relying on an additional aircraft to enter the fleet?

I was wondering that myself; certainly, if they are adding new routes, they will need extra capacity. There was talk recently of a A330-300 (rather than one of the old EI aircraft) being added this Summer. I haven't heard anything like this. There are some white-tail A330s (ex-Libyan/Afriqiyah) available and I was wondering if EI was going to take some of these. I'm sure Airbus is well aware of EI's growth potential and would be looking to provide capacity and assist in this.

It does make me feel quite angry when I hear about the transport committee and the way they handle the EI issue. It seems to be an excuse to pay to their constituency needs, rather than say anything intelligent or that displays any kind of vision or actual interest in long term national strategic goals.

BrianDromey

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:53 pm

Does the planed summer timetable require 8 A330s? Is it getting a bit late to have herd nothing?

If it was just the one additional 757 then maybe IAD could go daily on the 757, which would free up an A330 4 weekly, so that could be your east cost route. That plan only works if the daylight 102/103 does not come back, if it does, adding another 757 for next summer is basically a net zero.

Quoting kaitak (Reply 167):
It does make me feel quite angry when I hear about the transport committee and the way they handle the EI issue. It seems to be an excuse to pay to their constituency needs, rather than say anything intelligent or that displays any kind of vision or actual interest in long term national strategic goals.

Sounds like typical short-term party politics. I think its fair to say what ORK, NOC and SNN have been left with after the recession is the core profitable provision, in good times they can expect a bit more, anything beyond what is currently served is stretching the catchment and profitability. Im sure if EI thought NOC-LHR would work, or ORK-JFK/BOS they would have found the aircraft and slots to make it work. Demanding EI operate all sorts of commercial nightmares won't help anyone, much less the islands precious "connectivity". I can't decide if its frustrating or idiotic that the politicians were happy for FR to sell break-up EI and sell every last LHR slot to IAG, but when IAG come with a plan of growth its shot to pieces. I could understand the sentiment (even if misplaced and dated) somewhat if it were BA buying EI, but its IAG, one of the worlds largest aviation groups. But sure whatever Michael says is alright!

EI320

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:00 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 168):
Does the planed summer timetable require 8 A330s? Is it getting a bit late to have herd nothing?

An 8th A330 is required for IAD and the additional SFO rotations. With the summer schedule only a few weeks away, it is odd that we haven't heard more on this.

It will also be interesting to see how the J class pricing develops over the coming months. A EUR 400-600 premium is currently being charged for the A330 product over the B757 for a round-trip in May, but it is unclear whether these fares reflect the new A330 product or not. Once all A330's have been fully retrofitted, I would assume the average premium may trend towards the EUR 600 mark, which would seem quite reasonable all things considered.

From a marketing standpoint though, there is an issue. At what point does marketing both products as "Business Class" become misleading in the context of the vast differences in product quality? When compared with the new A330 J seat, the B757 seat resembles little more than a Y+ one. So while the fares may reflect the disparities in product quality, the marketing material makes little distinction. Maybe it is time to re-brand the B757 product to protect the integrity of the new A330 product?

Given the leisure-oriented routes served by the B757, might there be potential to install another row of J seats (reducing both leg-room and unit cost) and then re-markering the cabin as Premium Economy?

EI121

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:26 pm

I was wondering that myself; certainly, if they are adding new routes, they will need extra capacity. There was talk recently of a A330-300 (rather than one of the old EI aircraft) being added this Summer. I haven't heard anything like this. There are some white-tail A330s (ex-Libyan/Afriqiyah) available and I was wondering if EI was going to take some of these. I'm sure Airbus is well aware of EI's growth potential and would be looking to provide capacity and assist in this.
Quoting EI320 (Reply 169):
An 8th A330 is required for IAD and the additional SFO rotations. With the summer schedule only a few weeks away, it is odd that we haven't heard more on this.

Yes I was wondering the same. Why haven't we heard anything? Maybe there has been problems locating a suitable plane. Or possible EI may not be able to decide between the -200 and -300?

IMHO I think they are handling it in a appalling matter. From watching the meeting on Tuesday, none of the deputies seem to know nothing about the aviation industry. And the discussion went onto ridiculous subjects. Such as a deputy talking about his holidays to Atlanta and another being very displeased when both Kavanagh and Barrington both being opposed of the idea of schedule flights to the US from NOC.

I really hope the government does not disapprove of this takeover over stupid little things like this.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 168):
If it was just the one additional 757 then maybe IAD could go daily on the 757, which would free up an A330 4 weekly, so that could be your east cost route. That plan only works if the daylight 102/103 does not come back, if it does, adding another 757 for next summer is basically a net zero.

This is a very good possible alternative. Although if EI want to get passengers away from flying with UA then I think the A330 would be more suitable. Does anyone know if the IAD route is due to go year round or is it strictly a summer seasonal route?

EI121   

OA260

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:57 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 164):

Yes it really is and you should certainly try it out. The Air Coach is handy or get the Enterprise to Central and change for Sydenham. Very handy. On another note I saw Air Coaches all covered in FR ads. Previously TK had their branding on them.

georgiabill

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:53 am

Perhaps a stupid question. If IAG is allowed to buy EI is there any routes from Dublin which could be supported to Asia, India or middle east operated by EI?
I was wondering about India,but with Air India about start flying to Dublin is there enough traffic to warrant EI flying the route?

321neoLR

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:01 am

Quoting georgiabill (Reply 172):

Perhaps a stupid question. If IAG is allowed to buy EI is there any routes from Dublin which could be supported to Asia, India or middle east operated by EI?
I was wondering about India,but with Air India about start flying to Dublin is there enough traffic to warrant EI flying the route?

I think you will find that some Lhr capacity from BA will find its way operating with AL from dub, and Lhr will use xtra capacity I with BA to go east.

Simply put,
East-Lhr
S America -mad
N America Lhr/dub

Iag 3 hub strategy.

AmricanShamrok

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:34 pm

EI will add an additional 2 routes to North America in 2016, one to the east coast and one to the west coast

If a new west coast route is launched it would surely be DUB-LAX wouldn't it? They'd hardly be looking at DUB-YVR I'd imagine.

Quoting EI320 (Reply 166):
16/34 could be described as a "nice to have", but not critical.

I think in the summertime when weather conditions are right DUB uses both RWY28 and RWY34 simultaneously to get the early-morning bank of departures out. Not sure how much of an effect withdrawing the use of 16/34 would have on this though.

EI121

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:39 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 174):
If a new west coast route is launched it would surely be DUB-LAX wouldn't it? They'd hardly be looking at DUB-YVR I'd imagine.

I was thinking the same. However could SEA be a contender? With Microsoft having a large presence in the Irish market could this route be viable? This would also open up the Vancouver area also.

EIBoston

Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:05 pm

I was thinking the same. However could SEA be a contender? With Microsoft having a large presence in the Irish market could this route be viable? This would also open up the Vancouver area also.

Yes the Vancouver one is interesting as there such a large Irish presence there now. Of course not enough for a daily route but 3x maybe in the Summer

Eagleboy

Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:41 pm

Colm Barrington stated at one point that EI will add an additional 2 routes to North America in 2016, one to the east coast and one to the west coast, regardless if the IAG will take over or not.

This interested me, the return to SFO last year (going daily this summer) and the IAD return this year were big announcements by EI. I can't see much more for them.
However the ET ADD-DUB-LAX has raised the rumour/possibility of EI adding 2x weekly DUB-LAX to protect their market.

An 8th A330 is required for IAD and the additional SFO rotations. With the summer schedule only a few weeks away, it is odd that we haven't heard more on this

I believe a pre-lease A330 will appear in SNN or DUB by the end of March.

At what point does marketing both products as "Business Class" become misleading in the context of the vast differences in product quality? When compared with the new A330 J seat, the B757 seat resembles little more than a Y+ one.

You have a point but once the summer schedule is in plcae there will be no more swopping B757/A330 on routes as happened in Jan/Feb/Mar. Thus the pricing can remain seperate.

Its a shame EI can't put the old A330 seats into the B757.

Quoting georgiabill (Reply 172):

Is that rumour still doing the rounds?

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:06 pm

Quoting EI121 (Reply 170):
Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 177):
Quoting georgiabill (Reply 172):I was wondering about India,but with Air India about start flying to Dublin is there enough traffic to warrant EI flying the route?

Is that rumour still doing the rounds?

I thought that rumour had died a death a long time ago; AI never seems to know its backside from its elbow and it's main strategic aim is to not have nearly 787s looking like they've been scrapped. I just can't see them launching a route to Dublin.

EI320

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:10 pm

You have a point but once the summer schedule is in plcae there will be no more swopping B757/A330 on routes as happened in Jan/Feb/Mar. Thus the pricing can remain seperate.

My point was less to do with the swapping of aircraft, but more that the B757 and A330 J products are currently being marketed and branded under the same "Business Class" banner, whereas in reality (once all the A330s have been retrofitted) they will be two entirely different products. At no point during the booking process does EI indicate that the YYZ and SNN routes have a different product to the rest.

Their failure to distinguish the B757 J product from the A330 risks tarnishing the reputation of the entire "Business Class" brand. I would hope that EI have recognised this and will make a greater effort to distinguish them once the new product is officially launched.

EI121

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:36 pm

This interested me, the return to SFO last year (going daily this summer) and the IAD return this year were big announcements by EI. I can't see much more for them.
However the ET ADD-DUB-LAX has raised the rumour/possibility of EI adding 2x weekly DUB-LAX to protect their market.

Would it really be worths EI's while doing such a long route with such a low frequency? Would it not be more profitable doing a different route which they could serve at a higher frequency?

Eagleboy

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:12 pm

Quoting EI320 (Reply 179):
I would hope that EI have recognised this and will make a greater effort to distinguish them once the new product is officially launched.

I wouldn't hold my breath

Quoting EI121 (Reply 180):
Would it really be worths EI's while doing such a long route with such a low frequency? Would it not be more profitable doing a different route which they could serve at a higher frequency?

Just a rumour about it being looked at. Previously EI did very well on cargo into LAX.

Its all a bit moot until they can get more A330 anyway.

Aer Lingus

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:23 pm

Irish Air Letter is this month reporting EI-EWR as restored to the Irish register as of 29th Jan. Its currently in Manila with Lufthansa Technik for lease hand back maintenance then onward to Bordeaux. Due in Dublin late April.

OA260

Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:30 am

Current offer from IAG for Aer Lingus 'not persuasive enough' - Minister for Agriculture

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...ster-for-agriculture-31007597.html

Some ministers are living in cloud cuckoo land ! Its the best deal they will ever be likely to get.

iRISH251

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:19 am

Quoting EI320 (Reply 166):

I guess the key issue here is; if 16/34 was not available, what proportion of movements would be disrupted on an annual basis? The DAA should have this data readily available. I reckon that the proportion would be exceptionally small, and certainly not sufficient to justify its retention when the current terminal infrastructure requires expanding. 16/34 could be described as a "nice to have", but not critical.

Some stats on runway 16 and 34 usage are contained in Annex D of this interesting document:
http://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileuploa...ddresponses/2014-07-31%20IALPA.pdf

Cipango

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:20 am

Quoting frostyj (Reply 183):
Ein104 has a revolting arrival of 3:45am. Someone please take this flight off the schedule, what a rediculous arrival time.

Great time to arrive for connecting passengers. Time to have a coffee and an Irish breakfast then head to gate 401 for your flight to AMS or any of the 20 flights that depart at 6-7am.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

shamrock604

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:22 am

Quoting Cipango (Reply 186):
Great time to arrive for connecting passengers. Time to have a coffee and an Irish breakfast then head to gate 401 for your flight to AMS or any of the 20 flights that depart at 6-7am.

Plus, the scheduled arrival time is actually 0520. The tail wind must have been nice and strong last night.

Quoting irish251 (Reply 185):
Some stats on runway 16 and 34 usage are contained in Annex D of this interesting document:

It is VITAL that 16/34 is kept open. We have had several days already this year where the airport would have been effectively shut by cross winds. Closing it would be utterly daft.

OA260

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:27 am

Quoting Cipango (Reply 186):

Exactly nice and early and the airport is quiet for a bit (Airside) before the rush starts. I have noticed some TATL transiting pax doing just that when I have been flying out on the 6-7am flights. For business/GC pax its also a chance to freshen up in the GC lounge and shower etc..

frostyj

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:42 am

Almost no transatlantic flight arrives at its scheduled time.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

shamrock604

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:51 am

Quoting frostyj (Reply 188):

But 0345 is very rare.... The 104 often gets in at perhaps 0445 or 0450.

EI320

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:59 am

Quoting irish251 (Reply 185):

Interesting stats, but IALPA's assumption that these stats would de-facto become a DUB closure indicator is flawed. There have been periods that 16/34 has been used to facilitate maintenance work on 10/28, work that would have otherwise been completed overnight if 16/34 was not available (I believe there was a period last year, but please correct me if I'm wrong). In addition, there are days that it is preferable to use 16/34 given the wind direction, but not essential. It would be interesting to know the volume the movements that DUB could not have handled without an active 16/34. IALPA are conveniently leaping to (flawed) conclusions in an effort to strengthen their argument.

If it is true that 10/28 is in need of critical maintenance in the coming years, then 16/34 could of course become increasingly important. However, DAA are better positioned to assess this than IALPA.

Eirules

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:03 pm

Sweeping generalisation of the year so far. This morning for example, 7 flights arrived within 30 mins of their allotted time into DUB and another one within an hour. The airlines or the airport cannot be responsible for excessive winds and I think you'd find very few passengers complaining about an early arrival
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

Eagleboy

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:10 pm

You say this like its a bad thing....yet again you are imposing your own narrow personal opinion to the general travelling population.

Transfer pax like to get in early as its gives them more time to transfer...nothing more stressful (in my opinion) than sprinting through an airport not knowing if you will make your connection.
And yes the eastbound T/A quite often arrive in early, thats the nature of North Atlantic weather systems. Why are you blaming the airline for this?
But in my experience of these flights I would say that no more than 60% of my eastbounds over the last few years have been early. And approx 10-15% overall would arrive an hour early. Which you seem to dislike.
How many eastbound flights have you ever taken frostj? I have done 43 in the last 12 months, similar numbers in the 2 years previous.

frostyj

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:40 pm

Sorry i'm not a millionaire I can't afford to fly to America 45 times a year.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

shamrock604

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:43 pm

Quoting frostyj (Reply 193):
Sorry i'm not a millionaire I can't afford to fly to America 45 times a year.

You dont have to be a millionaire - if you're going that often, chances are it's business travel - and your company is paying.

frostyj

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Quoting EIRules (Reply 191):

Oh I know they can't but I find that airlines almost always over exagerate the length of the flights. For example, alot of them would say that the flight from NYC would take 6.5 hours when in most cases it gets nowhere near that length of time.

That would be more like NYC to Frankfurt.

frostyj

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:46 pm

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 194):

Yes and did you see his age.

shamrock604

Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:19 pm

Quoting frostyj (Reply 195):

Particularly on long haul, and particularly out of JFK, you have to be generous with your block times. Winds being a huge factor - you have to go with a scenario that is realistic most of the time, rather than a best case scenario. Remember, the arrival time is time at the gate, not landing time. Departure is time off the gate, not take off time. At JFK, you could be taxying for an hour before take off, such is the congestion. (Dublin at times can be bad, too).

Especially with connections - JFK, BOS, ORD, YYZ are all 0520 arrivals at DUB, and connect to short haul flights - frequently arriving late inbound would result in either delayed short hauls, or passengers missing connections. Neither is an acceptable outcome.

Sure, these early arrivals aren't great for passengers getting off at Dublin, but it isn't just them onboard.

frostyj

Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:26 pm

I know they can be queing but the matter still comes that little to no flights from nyc reach 6.5 hours.

I've always said the best departure times are 11:00. The 5:00 departure times from NYC should be restricted for Istanbul and Eastern Europe.

Its not easy to sleep anyway.

shamrock604

Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:33 pm

Quoting frostyj (Reply 198):

I agree with you there - I always pick the later departures myself, but they don't connect very well this side of the pond. I'd bet most traffic getting off in Dublin picks the EI108.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos