Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N1120A

RE: CLT Moves Ahead With 4th Parallel Runway

Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:56 am

Quoting Sevensixtyseven (Reply 48):
They don't have that many operational delays in the summer..they did have to delay RJ flights after it topped 117 degrees.

Not delays. Weights. But yeah, there are times where they can't have flights take off.

The nice thing is T4 is easy to connect through, with excessive empty space compared to LAX

Its also darker, dingier and more dated than even LAX T3 and leviathan to add to the problem.

Might I remind you for 20+ years America West built up Phoenix as a hub and happened to make some semblance of money there.

A little, though HP was in financial distress for years.

Quoting cathay747 (Reply 49):
And let's not forget that for all the talk about AA @ LAX...
they really have VERY little room to expand @ LAX, as it is they can't even consolidate
all AA & US ops at T4, they are having to spread it out over two terminals.

When the West Gates are built, there will be significantly more room and potential solutions. UA had operations over 3 terminals for years, and it didn't seem to be an issue for them.

Quoting cathay747 (Reply 49):
LAX is much
more of an O&D market for AA, while PHX is a fairly nice split of O&D + connecting
traffic.

LAX is the largest O&D airport in the world. The only reason it doesn't have more connecting traffic is because there is so much competition, that no airline has taken the next step there. AA appears to be doing that.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

elmothehobo

Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:18 am

Quoting cathay747 (Reply 32):
OMG, here we go again about PHX being de-hubbed, or likely to be...this is getting as bad as
conspiracy theories about who shot JFK!

You sound just like the folks in 2001, 2002, and 2003 (me being one of them) that said that St. Louis was going to remain a hub for American. Phoenix will be dehubbed. It's a matter of when, not if.

Sevensixtyseven

Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:39 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 50):

LAX T3 is from 1961, PHX's T4 was built for America West in 1990. Even Phoenix's dingiest terminal, T2, was built in 1962. I think T4 is indeed a massive facility, but it's quite efficient at shuttling passengers everywhere. The only real issue people would have when connecting is if you're going from the High A gates to the High B gates, it's a bit of a walk. I've flown to all the LA area airports and I think LAX is the biggest cesspit as far as airport facilities. If I ever schedule a trip, I'll do my best to avoid it in favor of any other option.

Back to the topic at hand, I hope CLT can build this runway for extra flexibility. At the cost they're quoting, they'd be stupid not to do it.
I call the dusty desert my home. :)

Kashmon

Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:02 am

Quoting Sevensixtyseven (Reply 52):

but with TBIT and T4

AA by far has the best LAX facilities, now if only they could get T5 from Delta!!

as for hubs

no point merging if you are going to completely cut down the airline you merged with...
other carriers will come in and again threaten your profitability.

IF AA was smart they would strengthen or at least maintain all their hubs, if anything merging should have given AA greater ability to launch a new hub
like in the pacific north west or strengthen ORD...

otherwise what is the point of merging if you are just going to downsize...

jetblastdubai

Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:17 am

A visual is always helpful in these discussions.

http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1502/00078ad.pdf

777STL

Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:37 pm

Quoting elmothehobo (Reply 51):
You sound just like the folks in 2001, 2002, and 2003 (me being one of them) that said that St. Louis was going to remain a hub for American. Phoenix will be dehubbed. It's a matter of when, not if.

Yeah, except Phoenix is a vibrant, rapidly expanding metro area while St. Louis is just a dieing hulk of what was once a great city.

I lived in STL during the "great drawdown". I live in Phoenix now. Arizona is the second quickest growing state in terms of population behind Nevada and some of the Phoenix suburbs are some of the quickest growing cities over 200,000 people in the nation. Phoenix ain't St. Louis and AA isn't just going to cut bait and pull out. Anyone that thinks that doesn't have a clue and doesn't understand the difference between Phoenix and all of the other dilapidated rust belt cities that have lost their hubs.

Keep in mind that this city also supports two "hubs" if you count WN's operations so the demand and infrastructure is there.

(Before some snarky smart ass blows me up here, yes, I understand WN doesn't have official hubs......)
PHX based

afcjets

Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:04 pm

Quoting AFCJETS (Reply 44):
Also, not sure if it has changed, but for at least 30 years, Runway 5 was almost NEVER used for takeoffs
Quoting AFCJETS (Reply 47):
After I posted about 5, I seem to vaguely remember watching planes line up to depart 5 on a beautiful spring afternoon in the mid 80s, and I thought it was so cool because I had never seen that before, and I have not seen it since.

I just realized I was referring to Runway 23. Departing on 5/23 towards the southwest. Taking off on 5 towards the northeast was not that uncommon. (My reference to red-eye landings though was indeed referring to 5 for planes coming in from the southwest). So my question is, has anyone ever seen a take-off on Runway 23?

[Edited 2015-02-08 08:05:45]

afcjets

Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:20 pm

Quoting Kashmon (Reply 53):
AA by far has the best LAX facilities, now if only they could get T5 from Delta!!

I haven't been to T2 since the 90s but I always thought it was the nicest. AA is never going to get T5 from Delta obviously, I often wondered if AA traded T4 for T2 and moved everyone else out of T3, would all of T2 and T3 be big enough for them? T2 and T3 are right next to each other, but T3 and T4 are divided by TBIT and far apart.

flyjoe

Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:28 pm

Quoting AFCJETS (Reply 56):

I just realized I was referring to Runway 23. Departing on 5/23 towards the southwest. Taking off on 5 towards the northeast was not that uncommon. (My reference to red-eye landings though was indeed referring to 5 for planes coming in from the southwest). So my question is, has anyone ever seen a take-off on Runway 23?

Yes, I have taken off on both 5 and 23. It's been during that same morning timeframe with a 530 to 6am departure time frame. It's a treat using a different runway from the usual 18/36.

HPRamper

Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:06 pm

Quoting elmothehobo (Reply 51):

STL and ORD were both connecting hubs and had duplicate traffic flows. PHX is a connecting hub while LAX is an O&D hub, similar to the relationship between PHL and JFK. I think PHX will be drawn down eventually but not to spoke status.

Quoting Kashmon (Reply 53):
no point merging if you are going to completely cut down the airline you merged with...
other carriers will come in and again threaten your profitability.

WN had no problem doing that to AirTran.

Moose135

Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:28 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 59):
WN had no problem doing that to AirTran

WN merged with AirTran to eliminate a competitor, not the same reason behind the AA/US merger.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

afcjets

Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:37 pm

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 60):
STL and ORD were both connecting hubs and had duplicate traffic flows. PHX is a connecting hub while LAX is an O&D hub, similar to the relationship between PHL and JFK. I think PHX will be drawn down eventually but not to spoke status.

Not when average LDFs industrywide were almost 90% so it is less likely they would shed a hub today like they did with STL. PHX was also Parker's home for a long time so not sure how keen he is on dropping that profitable hub. Or did he commute there for the week?

DDR

Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:42 pm

CLT is not going anywhere. There are too many flights routed through the airport which can't be routed through PHL or MIA. I know people will disagree with me, but I think CLT is much safer than PHL.

HPRamper

Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:32 am

Quoting DDR (Reply 62):
CLT is not going anywhere. There are too many flights routed through the airport which can't be routed through PHL or MIA. I know people will disagree with me, but I think CLT is much safer than PHL.

You could say the exact same about PHL.
I'd say both are equally safe.

727LOVER

Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:27 am

Quoting cltguy (Reply 37):
Just to be clear...all this article is about is that the 4th Parallel runway has been added to the updated Master Plan for the airport...so it is now on the 20 year horizon. No firm has been hired to do the engineering and design documents for the runway and no firm has been hired to do construction. To my knowledge the environmental docs havn't even been started yet so this is still some time off.We will learn more after the City Council presentation on Monday and when the updated Master Plan is released in April.

Thanks for pointing that out. So, the overlook is good for what...another 3 years??

Hopefully.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Moose135

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:03 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 64):
Thanks for pointing that out. So, the overlook is good for what...another 3 years??

The city has said that there would still be an airport overlook, although obviously it won't be in the same place if the new runway is going to go through there. The question is where will it be, and will it be open during construction when the current one gets shut down? No matter what, it will be hard to beat the current one for location.

727LOVER

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:26 am

Since 18R/36L opened, are there still landings on 18C?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Moose135

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:54 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 66):

All the time - 18C is used more for takeoffs, but they will sequence arrivals in as well. Most heavies will come in on the Center - US A330s, LH A330/A340s, etc. and we'll get a mix of others as well, especially if there isn't a long line of departures waiting. I was out for about an hour on Sunday afternoon, and we had about half a dozen arrivals, including the LH A330, a Dash-8, a couple of RJs and one business jet.

maxpower1954

Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:00 am

Quoting AFCJETS (Reply 44):
Also, not sure if it has changed, but for at least 30 years, Runway 5 was almost NEVER used for takeoffs, and only landings for inbound red-eyes or late arriving night flights (it is not in the path of residential). Prior to the June 1979 with the opening of then 36L/18R (renamed 36C/18C) though, it was used all the time. If anyone has witnessed a takeoff from runway 5 since 1979, I would love to hear about it! If so it must have been between midnight and 630a. I know there are some 6am departures so maybe it happens all the time at that hour ?

I've been flying out of CLT since hired by PI in 1986 - five more years to go!

Runway 05 was used frequently for north or east bound departures when the airport was on a North operation. I did many 727 and F28 takeoffs on 05. I believe that ended around 1994 or so - I don't remember any 05 departures in my last few years on the Fokker, which was retired in 1997. I believe the noise complaints stopped the practice. In the simulator a 05 rejected takeoff or V1 cut was used for many years.

I have a vivid memories of staggering off Runway 05 in a heavy JT8D -7 powered 727-200 many times LGA bound!

Russ Farris

[Edited 2015-02-08 21:09:05]

afcjets

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:45 pm

Quoting maxpower1954 (Reply 68):
I've been flying out of CLT since hired by PI in 1986 - five more years to go!Runway 05 was used frequently for north or east bound departures when the airport was on a North operation. I did many 727 and F28 takeoffs on 05. I believe that ended around 1994 or so

Great, you would definitely know! Did you see my later post I meant takeoffs on 23? I had the wrong direction, I meant departing SW on 5/23 which I guess means 23. I remember taking off on 5 all the time, but haven't seen a departure on 23 since around the time you started, and it seemed rare. Someone else pointed out a 6am departure on 23, which makes sense since red eyes often land on 5 for noise control at that hour.

maxpower1954

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:25 pm

Quoting AFCJETS (Reply 69):
Great, you would definitely know! Did you see my later post I meant takeoffs on 23? I had the wrong direction, I meant departing SW on 5/23 which I guess means 23. I remember taking off on 5 all the time, but haven't seen a departure on 23 since around the time you started, and it seemed rare. Someone else pointed out a 6am departure on 23, which makes sense since red eyes often land on 5 for noise control at that hour.

Ha, Ha yes I saw your correction after I already posted. I just left it up for more info for those interested.

I can only remember taking off on 23 once, and that was only a few years ago. As you said, it was late - sometime after midnight. We had been delayed a few hours and it was a west bound departure, DFW or PHX as I recall in a A321. TOGA power, APU on and Config 3 - maximum effort!

5/23 is the standard arrival runway before 0700 but 90% of us don't accept it because it's short and we're tired! We say unable due to "operational requirements" and ATC assigns one of the N/S runways.

SJCMSP

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:24 pm

I just landed on it on Friday.

afcjets

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:33 pm

Quoting maxpower1954 (Reply 70):
I can only remember taking off on 23 once, and that was only a few years ago. As you said, it was late - sometime after midnight.

I think that definitely illustrates how rare 23 departures are for a 30 year CLT based pilot who has only departed on it once! And it was after hours at that.

Quoting maxpower1954 (Reply 70):
5/23 is the standard arrival runway before 0700 but 90% of us don't accept it because it's short and we're tired! We say unable due to "operational requirements" and ATC assigns one of the N/S runways.

Oh wow I did not know it was the automatic default for that time of day. When you land on 5 it is obvious from a passenger perspective because you see the lake and if you are on the left, you see those huge steel cylinders emitting smoke, must be some type of factory. It is pretty isolated too. Just curious, not that you ever would, but what if during the daytime you requested to the tower when departures were southbound that you wanted runway 23, even if you had to wait. Would they say no? What if there wasn't much traffic at the time? I am sure they would at least ask why.

Mainliner

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:05 pm

I just landed on 18C last night. It's pretty common for ATC to offer 18C/36C during non-peak times and during weekends when it's not as busy. Often, there will only be one tower controller working both sides of the airport, so I imagine that this cuts down on having to divide his/her attention between the two sides as much. This was the case last night; as soon as the controller cleared us to land on 18C, he issued a landing clearance for an RJ on 18L over the other tower frequency.

It's also a plus for the pax, as it cuts down on taxi time to the terminal. Since we were running about 30 minutes late from SFO, I'm sure they appreciate every little bit...not that they even had a clue  
Every flight counts.

bjorn14

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:17 pm

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 60):
Quoting HPRamper (Reply 59):
WN had no problem doing that to AirTran

WN merged with AirTran to eliminate a competitor, not the same reason behind the AA/US merger.

or Morris Air. Call them what you will but WN cut a lot from both.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

liquidoblivion

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:49 pm

Quoting AFCJETS (Reply 56):

Ya, about 6 or 7 years ago I was on an early early morning AA MD-80 to DFW and we departed on 23.

I fly through CLT a fair amount and can't understand at all why people would think it would shrink with the merger. First of all US AIR were the ones that bought AA. With all the US ops, airplanes and pilots based at CLT I really don't think they are going to change any of that. Second, the airport is always packed, where do you people think that traffic is going to go?? CLT serves so many smaller areas around it, I usually fly out of GSP, just a 20min flight to CLT, if CLT wasn't the hub where would all that RJ traffic go DFW, ORD? Charlotte itself is a growing city and the east coast corridor where CLT is itself growing rapidly even if you don't consider CLT specifically. It may lose some international flights, it may gain a few, who knows. I would bet it is only going to grow, but CLT as a domestic hub is extremely strong and I can't see any reason or way for it to shrink.

USAirALB

Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:27 am

I have mixed feelings on this project.

For one, I can understand why they would want to build it now when you factor in the total construction cost. It is a real bargain, and I am sure that it is cheaper to do now than it will be 10 years down the line.

On the other hand, I question the need for this project. One of the arguments for the new runway is that it will be useful for flights to Asia and the Middle East, as well as for larger aircraft. CLT isn't getting flights to Asia anytime soon, and even if CLT did magically get a Asian or Middle East flight, it would likely be on a 787 or A350 which shouldn't have any problems taking off from CLT on a current runway.

I would much rather see CLT expedite the construction for a new tower. I hear that ATC has problems visualizing 18R/36L, which to me is a serious safety issue that needs to be addressed.

BTW, is CLT considered "hot and high" in the summer? I know field elevation isn't really high (700-something feet?) but the temps do reach 95+ degrees quite often in the summer.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

BD338

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:49 am

Quoting tp1040 (Thread starter):
The cost estimate of 93 million seems low, but considering the placement of the runway, maybe they can get it done. 2 year build time?

absolutely no way can they design and build a fully functioning FAA spec 12,000 foot runway for that price. That's $39/sf...and that assumes no taxiways or connectors. OK, they already own the land so that is a big saving, and there isn't much need for major earthworks beyond excavating the runway. For $92M they MIGHT just be able to buy the raw material concrete and reinforcing steel. Lights, comms, ILS, labor etc. etc. are extra   Any change out of $500M let me know.

The 3rd parallel runway (9000') cost $325M back in 2007/8. So I have no idea how they can build a 12,000' for less than $100M.

Moose135

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:52 am

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 76):
I would much rather see CLT expedite the construction for a new tower. I hear that ATC has problems visualizing 18R/36L, which to me is a serious safety issue that needs to be addressed.

They have recently cleared a large patch of trees between 18C and 18R. While that would need to be done for the new runway, I heard it was done now to assist with tower visibility of 18R.

USAirALB

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:56 am

Hot off the press: https://twitter.com/ESPortillo/status/564923877839872002
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

afcjets

Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:34 am

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 79):
Hot off the press: https://twitter.com/ESPortillo/status/564923877839872002

It's hard to see, is there a larger size of that image? I bet there will be one in their morning newspaper.

[Edited 2015-02-09 22:23:06]

sassiciai

Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:03 am

I have not follwed this thread since it started, but always wondered about the need for a 4th parallel runway from reading the title every day. Today I opened the thread, and skimmed very lightly through it, so I apologise if I repeat what is stated above.

According to Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_busiest_airports_by_aircraft_movements#2014_preliminary_statistics),
by passenger traffic, CLT is 24th in the world ranking. Figures are as follows by ranking and by Million passenger traffic in 2013:
3 LHR 55
7 DXB 52
11 HKG 59
13 SIN 53
24 CLT 43

The airports other than CLT that I chose are all 2-runway airports. There may be others in the top 25 list (IST?) with only 2 runways

By rank and traffic movements (thousands) in 2013:

7 CLT 558
12 LHR 471
28 HKG 382
the other airports listed by pax didn't make it into the top 25 by movement.

Based on the above, I have to wonder why CLT needs a 4th parallel runway, LHR and HKG are not so far away in movement terms and somehow manage with 2 parallel runways. LHR only operates 18 or 19 hours per 24. I'm sure both LHR and HKG would each give their corporate left arm and leg for 4 parallel runways, but that's another story.

I hope someone can clarify where these figures lack awareness/understanding of the true local situation. Is CLT overloaded at some peaks, and quiet at other periods, or is traffic smoothed out over the operational day?

Moose135

Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:05 pm

Quoting sassiciai (Reply 81):
Is CLT overloaded at some peaks, and quiet at other periods, or is traffic smoothed out over the operational day?

It's very much a banked hub operation - I've seen 20 aircraft lined up to depart 18C, with another line to go off 18L, while 18R arrivals are waiting to cross Center to get to the terminal, and 23 arrivals are being sequenced into all of it. Half an hour later, there isn't anything moving on the field.

usairways85

Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:29 pm

I have only flown through CLT a few times but I wonder if the real problem in CLT is much like it is in PHL, which is not that there are not enough runways but rather the airport design is such that frequent bottlenecks occur on the ground. Adding a runway doesn't help taxiway congestion.

SJCMSP

Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:54 pm

Quoting Mainliner (Reply 73):
It's pretty common for ATC to offer 18C/36C during non-peak times and during weekends when it's not as busy.
Quoting usairways85 (Reply 83):
I have only flown through CLT a few times but I wonder if the real problem in CLT is much like it is in PHL, which is not that there are not enough runways but rather the airport design is such that frequent bottlenecks occur on the ground. Adding a runway doesn't help taxiway congestion.

I suppose if it got bad enough they could build a taxiway that goes around the departure runway like at ATL.

afcjets

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:01 pm

I just read an article from yesterday and it says that one day they even plan to build a fifth parallel runway and a satellite terminal where 5/23 is now. IMO, they should not demolish 5/23, but instead demolish everything on the other side of it, except for the maintenance hangar (and perhaps the remnants of the old terminal lobby and tower which still stand if not in the way) and expand the taxiway system over there. Since 5/23 is not used as much crossing it shouldn't be too much of a problem, and better to have an under-utilized runway to cross than to do away with it completely. I would also extend it on the SW end, and bring it out to stop before 36L/18R, just like it did before (but it's now 36C/18C). Not sure how much of that intermodal facility has been built but I know they are putting the train tracks under bridges as it is so part of the extended runway could be a bridge. This could utilize this runway more for 7am ish arrivals when few flights are departing but the first real bank is arriving after a handful of red-eye arrivals earlier, and of course it is still used throughout the day for arrivals. As mentioned above pilots dislike landing on this short runway when it is the default for red-eye and early morning arrivals when they are tired. Back in the early to mid 90s they also extended 18L/36R, it used to be about the same length as 5/23.

Further down the road the satellite terminal the article mentions could be built on the other side of 5/23 if the mess over there is cleaned up, perhaps even incorporating the old tower into the design. Since CLT is notorious for destroying old historical buildings, this could be their way of honoring their history. Just a thought, the right architect could make this work and make the building look really sleek and ultra modern (architecture tends to repeat itself over time anyways). There would be a ton of space on the other side if they clean it up and rebuild a better layout for what facilities are there now and a new satelitte terminal. It is all cheap looking pop up buildings for catering and cargo. The only nice construction on that side now is the hangar.

[Edited 2015-02-10 10:28:03]

tp1040
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:33 pm

I wonder if the 5th parallel runway would go across 485. The article said that was 20-30 years away and 8,000 feet long.

CV880

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:39 pm

Quoting tp1040 (Reply 86):

I wonder if the 5th parallel runway would go across 485. The article said that was 20-30 years away and 8,000 feet long.

Where the present ANG/Wilson ramp is, with all of that being moved further east towards Morris Field/Airport Dr.

tp1040
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:11 pm

This is how I understand how it might be in 20-30 years. Thanks CV880

CV880

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:50 pm

Quoting tp1040 (Reply 88):
This is how I understand how it might be in 20-30 years

Whoever updates the Airport Website is terrible at planned construction updates. Per their planned construction timeline, both the 4th Parallel (next to 18C-36C) and int'l terminal (north of concourse A) were to be under construction now, so at least the runway timeline is way off as another article indicated that the environmental impact study (which was to have been done in 2013) has not even been done. Reminds me of the horrible highway construction timelines in the area from way back in the 1960's when I was a kid there. Then there's the lack of rail transit to the Airport, yet the mainline of the NS Railroad, between Atlanta & D.C., runs thru the property.

CPH-R

Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:07 pm

Quoting tp1040 (Reply 88):
This is how I understand how it might be in 20-30 years. Thanks CV880

Thanks, got quite a bit confused trying to wrap my head around the sketch posted on twitter.

I wonder if the eastern-most runway might depend on the 145AW staying at CLT or not?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos