tomaheath
Topic Author

Any News For MHT?

Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:42 am

Any news for MHT in New Hampshire? I know they hired a airline consultant wasn't sure how that was going.

[Edited 2015-02-08 17:46:24]

tom11

RE: Any News For MHT?

Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:24 am

Probably not. They've seen less and less passengers over the past couple of years. Any new service is really just competing with existing service in Boston. While certain key hubs like ATL, BWI, ORD, etc are profitable and such, further P2P routes just take away from BOS.

tomaheath
Topic Author

Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:37 am

I just started getting interested in aviation so I'm not that knowledgeable yet. I'm from the Manchester area and it's sad to see the airport losing passengers. I think more reliable mainline service would be the best thing for the airport.

toltommy

Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:53 am

For a long time MHT (and PVD) were able to use their lower cost to offset the lower yield they generated vs BOS. But BOS has figured out how to counter that, and you've seen traffi migrate back to BOS. Both MHT and PVD need to figure out how to regain that cost advantage again to bring traffic back.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753/762/763/764/772/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440/700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

chrisnh

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:13 am

I wonder about the financial implications. MHT embarked on a plan for a terminal and parking designed for way more than it handles now. Up until 2005, that trajectory looked solid. But after 2005 everything collapsed. And all that spending was on borrowed money in the form of bonds, which now must be repaid on the backs of revenue streams that are nowhere near what they expected. Not as many cars are parking, the landing fees are less, and the tenants in the terminal have to be in dire straits with greatly reduced foot traffic. So servicing that debt must be tough, and the bond rating can't be all that great.

bomber996

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:36 am

Quoting tomaheath (Reply 2):
I think more reliable mainline service would be the best thing for the airport.

The problem is that people don't use it. Since the big dig was complete making southbound travel to BOS so much easier and the massive expansion of JetBlue into BOS the demand has just fallen off. Simple fact is that the fares out of BOS are significantly less expensive than MHT and only an hour away. If mainline aircraft attracted passengers like low fares do then this market would be completely different. Long gone are the days of UA 757's and US A321's. Good luck getting anything larger than EMB-175's unless you're flying on WN, but even their schedule has reduced significantly since the good old days of 10 years ago. Why? BOS.

Peace   
"We've recently upped our standards, so up yours." - Federal Aviation Administration

MIflyer12

Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:33 am

Quoting chrisnh (Reply 4):
So servicing that debt must be tough, and the bond rating can't be all that great.

Moody's downgrades Manchester NH Airport Enterprise to Baa1; outlook stable

Posted on: May 13, 2014, 7:09 pm
NEW YORK, May 13, 2014 --Moody's Investors Service has downgraded to Baa1 from A3 the rating of the Manchester (City of) NH Airport Enterprise's $174.2 million outstanding general airport revenue bonds. The rating outlook has been revised to stable from negative...

Here's how Moody's describes Baa: Baa Obligations rated Baa are subject to moderate credit risk. They are considered mediumgrade and as such may possess certain speculative characteristics.

Moody's has some O'Hare bonds at Baa1. It's not a kiss of death.

tomcbaker

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:50 am

Quoting bomber996 (Reply 5):
The problem is that people don't use it. Since the big dig was complete making southbound travel to BOS so much easier and the massive expansion of JetBlue into BOS the demand has just fallen off. Simple fact is that the fares out of BOS are significantly less expensive than MHT and only an hour away. If mainline aircraft attracted passengers like low fares do then this market would be completely different. Long gone are the days of UA 757's and US A321's. Good luck getting anything larger than EMB-175's unless you're flying on WN, but even their schedule has reduced significantly since the good old days of 10 years ago. Why? BOS.

When I lived in NH I was near LEB and I flew Colgan down to LGA or UA out of MHT (and on occasion, UA out of BTV). Up until around 2009, UA flew mainline A319's and A320's out of BTV and MHT to ORD. And I also recall UA 757's at MHT as recently as 2006. I remember NWA DC9's, Delta MD-88's, UA A320/757's, and US 737's all co-existing just 10 years ago right now. Really sad/depressing how quickly MHT has declined from being the largest airport in northern New England to now being another small town regional airport.
Tom

tomaheath
Topic Author

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:17 am

Now what's some options on the rail proposal with a stop at MHT? Would it help or would it just make it easier to get to BOS? How's the cargo side of things looking? It looks like there planning on something big with that new UPS building and and I believe Fedex is doing the same.

georgiabill

Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:31 pm

Nothing will change at KMHT until the present management team is fired and replaced with a new management team. In searching for the new management team applicants from PVD should be passed over as the last two managers came from PVD!
Secondly when doing the search anyone thinking putting solar panels on parking garage roof level is great for the airport should be removed from consideration. Not only are they losing parking revenue but the reflection from the panels was not to good for the atc crew.
Thirdly any applicant who wants to spend resources on attending conferences should also be removed from consideration.
KMHT needs to hire a manager with a vision, marketing knowledge and willingness to work with business leaders and airlines to promote exisiting service and work to add new services.
Finally get rid of the name Greater Boston Manchester Regional Airport. Obviously has done nothing to help the airport. I would suggest Manchester White Mountain Regional Airport. If you want to prmote something promote something New Hampshire is known for the white mountains.
Rant over.
Just my 2 cents worth.

lat41

Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Since the big dig was complete

I wonder sometimes if the "Big Dig" get more credit that it's due. Many times, depending on the hour and day, traffic is still a snarled up mess. The coming saturation of BOS due to withering competition and lack of land and airside space may be what ultimately helps MHT in the long run.

bomber996

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:25 pm

Quoting lat41 (Reply 10):

You're probably right that the big dig doesn't have as much as an impact as the introduction of competition from low cost carriers. The expansion of JetBlue, however, does seem to coincide with the finishing of the big dig.

Quoting tomaheath (Reply 8):
How's the cargo side of things looking? It looks like there planning on something big with that new UPS building and and I believe Fedex is doing the same.

MHT is a regional hub for both Fedex and UPS with Wiggins doing a lot of lifting with turboprops to smaller regional destinations.

Peace   
"We've recently upped our standards, so up yours." - Federal Aviation Administration

cloudboy

Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:00 pm

It was JetBlue and Southwest moving into BOS that really hurt MHT. It survived on leisure travelers, and when they got a better deal at BOS, that is where they went. A train stop at MHT could go both ways, it depends on how it is done. Too many stops, poor operating hours, or inaccessible stations and it won't really help make MHT easier. On the other hand, if it ran frequently enough and long enough into the morning and evening, and had stations placed where you could easily get to them by the highway and park there, it would help. BOS has hit a point where it is getting to busy and people are looking for a calmer experience. Plus, the cost of just getting to and from the airport, or parking, is too high.

The other factor is that NH has really got to do a better job of marketing itself as a destination.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

Revelation

Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:51 pm

MHT benefited greatly from the fact that BOS was over crowded and that the Big Dig made bad BOS traffic even worse.

It negated some of BOS's huge advantage in terms of service offerings.

BOS's traffic situation was greatly improved but not resolved as the Big Dig completed.

BOS's overcrowding was fixed as the legacies went through bankruptcy and dumped gate leases, and then went through consolidation so even fewer gates were needed.

The same consolidation meant that carriers no longer felt the need to compete so extensively and so stations like MHT were cut back in a big way.

The spikes in oil prices and the shortage of pilots makes it even easier to cut smaller stations.

Add to that the bills for the new terminals, parking garages, roadway and runway improvements have come due so MHT does indeed have a lot of debt to service.

Unfortunately much of this came together just as the Rt 3 bridge made access from the south and west much easier.

I'm not sure MHT can do much about its situation, new management team or not.

Seems to me at best they can tread water till BOS gets so overcrowded again that it makes sense for airlines to add service to MHT, but that could take many years. Both WN and B6 now have larger aircraft (B738, A321) than they did in the earlier times so they can deal with crowds better than they used to.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

iyerhari

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:02 pm

I wonder sometimes if the "Big Dig" get more credit that it's due. Many times, depending on the hour and day, traffic is still a snarled up mess. T

Traffic is equally bad when traveling from I-93 S into Logan unless one takes some alternative routes through Sullivan Square into East Boston which is also bad.

With rejuvenation of downtown thanks to Seaport district and newer companies flocking to Cambridge, MHT is a tough commute in comparison to Logan. My prior client location was located at Westford and technically MHT is closer than Logan but unfortunately everyone stopped using that place as there is little to no flights.

Even if there were a commuter rail option available, would the proposed new rail-link provide options for commuters to have a direct access from the airport to downtown? Currently the Lawrence-Andover line from Andover to North Station takes approx. 1 hr so this train trip would take at-least 1.35 minutes. Not bad considering it would almost take the same time to drive but if everyone were anyways working downtown or in the vicinity I simply don't see them using MHT.

It's sad to see this though.

ASA

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Quoting toltommy (Reply 3):
For a long time MHT (and PVD) were able to use their lower cost to offset the lower yield they generated vs BOS. But BOS has figured out how to counter that, and you've seen traffi migrate back to BOS. Both MHT and PVD need to figure out how to regain that cost advantage again to bring traffic back.
I wonder sometimes if the "Big Dig" get more credit that it's due. Many times, depending on the hour and day, traffic is still a snarled up mess. The coming saturation of BOS due to withering competition and lack of land and airside space may be what ultimately helps MHT in the long run.

Still ... driving down the Central Artery, Callahan Tunnel, Exit 24 area was a nightmare ... so was the other side of the Tunnel because many parts of the airport had active construction as well. Myself and most people I know were terrified of the drive to Logan in those days ... and out-of-towners asked right away "Why do you live in Boston?"  

Barring traffic snarls, it is much better now ... just last Thursday it look me just 9-10 minutes from inside Medford to Logan Terminal A ... at around 7:30 PM. Such a thing would be tough even in the best situations back in the days.

ASA

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:15 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 13):
MHT benefited greatly from the fact that BOS was over crowded and that the Big Dig made bad BOS traffic even worse.

It negated some of BOS's huge advantage in terms of service offerings.

BOS's traffic situation was greatly improved but not resolved as the Big Dig completed.

Quoting cloudboy (Reply 12):
It was JetBlue and Southwest moving into BOS that really hurt MHT. It survived on leisure travelers, and when they got a better deal at BOS, that is where they went.

I remember after JetBlue started at JFK ... there was a big debate whether they'll come to BOS or MHT ... and many were more hopeful on MHT as it was growing then and BOS was still burried in the Big Dig. But B6 chose BOS later on, and the rest in history ...

tomaheath
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:32 am

So when if ever will Jetblue come to MHT? If they did what markets would they serve?

cloudboy

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:14 am

Quoting iyerhari (Reply 14):
Even if there were a commuter rail option available, would the proposed new rail-link provide options for commuters to have a direct access from the airport to downtown? Currently the Lawrence-Andover line from Andover to North Station takes approx. 1 hr so this train trip would take at-least 1.35 minutes. Not bad considering it would almost take the same time to drive but if everyone were anyways working downtown or in the vicinity I simply don't see them using MHT.

That's the problem. It won't work with commuter rail. Same as it is not working for TF Green. Not enough frequency, too many stops, doesn't start early enough or end late enough.

That line should be an express using better (i.e. more comfortable) rail cars. Only stop at Burlington, Lowell, Nashua, MHT, and downtown Manchester. But that would mean that NH would have to support it, and they have been adamantly opposed to any infrastructure investments outside of a few highway projects.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

airbazar

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:57 am

Quoting iyerhari (Reply 14):

Traffic is equally bad when traveling from I-93 S into Logan unless one takes some alternative routes through Sullivan Square into East Boston which is also bad.

You can't be serious. There's no way you lived or commuted around here back in the 90's. Between myself and my wife we've been commuting down I-93 for almost 20 years. Since the Summer of 1996 to be exact. Before that we lived in Boston proper. Our rush hour commute was cut down significantly since the end of the big dig.

texan

Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:11 am

Just some thoughts ...

MHT is a fantastic airport. While in theory LEB or BTV were my 'home' airports in law school, I used MHT most often. It is a fantastic, comfortable, convenient airport that went everywhere necessary. Whether on Saab 340s, 319s, 320s, 737s, and 757s. The spotting area upstairs is wonderful. It is just a joy to fly in and out of. I wish it could maintain a high level of quality service. Great place and I wish it the best of luck.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

tomaheath
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:54 am

So if the airport needs a new management staff will the state or city step in to make the changes? Or do we just wait till they resign or retire?

Revelation

Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:43 pm

Quoting texan (Reply 20):
MHT is a fantastic airport. While in theory LEB or BTV were my 'home' airports in law school, I used MHT most often. It is a fantastic, comfortable, convenient airport that went everywhere necessary. Whether on Saab 340s, 319s, 320s, 737s, and 757s. The spotting area upstairs is wonderful. It is just a joy to fly in and out of. I wish it could maintain a high level of quality service. Great place and I wish it the best of luck.

Some excellent thoughts. I think the facility is quite nice. I'm not sure I'd say it has a high level of service. It seems to do well enough with snowbird flights to/from FL and a (barely) adequate number of RJs to get people to places with a high level of service.

Quoting tomaheath (Reply 21):
So if the airport needs a new management staff will the state or city step in to make the changes?

I think replacing management can do all that much. It's not like there's tons of opportunities out there that are being missed, it's that the industry as a whole has moved away from secondary airports. I could be convinced otherwise, though.

JBAirwaysFan

Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:35 pm

Good luck getting anything larger than EMB-175's unless you're flying on WN,

Or DL. Their daily RON ATL flight is still an MD-88.
In Loving Memory of Casey Edward Falconer; May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

tomaheath
Topic Author

Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:43 am

So what exactly make an airport an "secondary airport". To close to a "larger" airport aka BOS?

bjorn14

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:29 am

Quoting tomaheath (Reply 24):

So what exactly make an airport an "secondary airport". To close to a "larger" airport aka BOS?

Any airport you use to serve a market that is not the area's main airport. i.e., MHT/PVD/ORH/PSM for BOS
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Revelation

Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:28 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 25):
Quoting tomaheath (Reply 24):

Any airport you use to serve a market that is not the area's main airport. i.e., MHT/PVD/ORH/PSM for BOS

... especially one calling itself "Manchester–Boston Regional Airport" ...

tomaheath
Topic Author

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:48 pm

I guess what I'm saying is that MHT should be the New Hampshire area airport. I agree lose the " Boston".

chrisnh

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:49 am

The list of things that have to go right in order for rail to work is miles long. And it's compounded by the equivalent of 'Feudal Lords' who sit on track rights and only pop out of their caves when they sniff federal dollars. So don't hope too much for rail.

As for JetBlue and its 'fight' with Southwest. Think of the crowing JetBlue could do by coming to MHT. Why? Because they could then say they serve all six New England states while WN serves only five. Not that it's a huge deal to say so. And I used the word 'fight' in quotes because there are a lot of cities where both airlines compete. It's not as though they try to steer clear of each other. PWM and PVD and BDL and BOS are four examples right there.

Although the schedules don't reflect it, DL has been using 717s on a handful of Detroit flights. Not sure why; perhaps to familiarize the folks at MHT with the type?

bjorn14

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:36 pm

Quoting chrisnh (Reply 28):
PWM and PVD and BDL and BOS are four examples right there.

That's fine but are WN and B6 competing head-to-head on multiple routes?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

georgiabill

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:16 pm

The question with the rail connector is how many trains per day on the route. Secondly where will the station built? The tracks are on the Bedford side of the river which means a shuttle bus will be required to transfer passengers to,from the terminal.
I think money would be better spent by building a bus terminal at the airport and using Boston Bus or Concord Trailways to connect KMHT with surrounding communities with frequent schedules.
I have hopes that as the economy improves WN may add a few flights and perhaps restore a nonstop to KDEN or KPHX. I am also hoping to see the new AA restoring mainline to KPHL( 1 or 2 of their daily flights) and 1 to KCLT. Wishful thinking would have the new AA add KMIA to connect with Latin and South America and add KORD mainline to KORD.
Finally as stated before change the name from Manchester Greater Boston Regional Airport to Manchester White Mountains Regional Airport. Promote New Hampshire!
Rant over! Just my 2 cents.

Revelation

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:20 pm

Quoting tomaheath (Reply 27):
I guess what I'm saying is that MHT should be the New Hampshire area airport. I agree lose the " Boston".

Personally I feel people make too much of the name. Clearly the airport draws from all the surrounding states and Quebec too so a focus just on NH is IMHO an unwise limitation. Most people outside of the area could not place Manchester on a map, so adding Boston to the name does have some use. It also speaks to the largely forlorn hope that it would draw business from Bostonites. Most of the Bostonites that I know have little use for anything outside the 128 belt but MHT does draw some business from the northern suburbs so keeping Boston in the name IMHO is fine.

Besides, changing the name would end up spending even more money on something that just doesn't matter much. It's like rearranging the deck chairs on the TItanic.

chrisnh

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:47 pm

The name has nothing to do with the downfall of MHT, even though the change happened almost simultaneously with the collapse in traffic. The two shouldn't necessarily be tied to each other. I'm in San Francisco at the moment and happily chose flying United BOS-SFO-BOS rather than deal with MHT and connecting through ORD. Like it or not, the Boston Express bus is marvelous for me.

georgiabill

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:19 pm

Not blaming the name for the airport failings. The economy has had alot to do with the decline in passenger numbers. However management of the airport is lacking! Parking lots built between 2000 and 2008 time frame sitting empty sprouting grass was not a good use of airport resources. Money would have been better spent on advertising or route subsidies.
As for buses I said money would be better spent to build a bus terminal at the airport and promote the buses as a quick affordable alternative to get to KMHT.
KMHT definitely doesnot have and never will have the amount of flights or nonstop destinations that KBOS does have. What it does have good infrastruce,room to grow and relatively good access to interstates. Now management needs to promote the airport and what it offers. Certainly there is an opportunity to capture market share from communities north of Rte 128 in Ma. Southern Vt although Rt 101 from Keene east to Manchester could use some work.
I would like to see new carriers serving KMHT. As much as I would like to see Jetblue I donot see it happening any time soon. Perhaps Spirit or Frontier might consider serving KMHT in the future. I think it is more realistic to hope that the carriers serving KMHT will upgrade some flights to mainline or larger regional jets and perhaps add new service than seeing a new carrier announce service from KMHT.
Just my 2 cents

Revelation

Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:38 pm

First time I recall a.net having two MHT threads opened at the same time!  Why No B6 To MHT? (by tu154 Feb 12 2015 in Civil Aviation)

tomcbaker

Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:17 pm

Quoting chrisnh (Reply 32):
Like it or not, the Boston Express bus is marvelous for me.

Excellent point. The advent of these amazing regional bus lines in Maine, NH and Vermont have had a major impact as well on passenger traffic in/out of regional airports in these states. Concord Coach Lines (Boston Express, Dartmouth Coach, etc) and C&J Bus Lines will take you from cities like Bangor, Augusta, Portland, Portsmouth, Manchester and Hanover/Lebanon to BOS for fairly cheaply; you can park your car with them for free and leave it there for several weeks for free, the buses have leather seats, bathrooms, movies and free wifi, and by doing this you also don't have to worry about airport parking.

I lived in northern New England for quite a few years and I was blown away by how good the bus system was there. For example, when I lived in eastern Maine back in 2000, I would take the Concord Trailways (now Concord Coach Lines) bus from BGR to the BOS airport and it was significantly cheaper than flying a Business Express Saab 340 to BOS for my connection to the west coast. When I moved to Hanover, New Hampshire (on the Vermont border), I took the Dartmouth Coach down to BOS and it was once again cheaper than flying Colgan (now Cape Air).
Tom

jawake

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:05 am

Quoting georgiabill (Reply 33):
I would like to see new carriers serving KMHT. As much as I would like to see Jetblue I donot see it happening any time soon. Perhaps Spirit or Frontier might consider serving KMHT in the future. I think it is more realistic to hope that the carriers serving KMHT will upgrade some flights to mainline or larger regional jets and perhaps add new service than seeing a new carrier announce service from KMHT.

Agreed. It honestly surprised me that G4 did not consider MHT and opted for PSM. The airlines mentioned are all fairly small. Other than the airlines mentioned, is there any other carrier out there that would be interested in MHT?

How about AA to DFW? UA to IAH? Seems unlikely.....

tomaheath
Topic Author

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:15 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 34):

First time I recall a.net having two MHT threads opened at the same time!  Why No B6 To MHT? (by tu154 Feb 12 2015 in Civil Aviation)

That's a good thing. Maybe someone somewhere will want to know what MHT is and fly to New Hampshire.

Dalmd88

Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:17 am

Quoting chrisnh (Reply 28):
Although the schedules don't reflect it, DL has been using 717s on a handful of Detroit flights. Not sure why; perhaps to familiarize the folks at MHT with the type?

They are also being used on some ATL flights. I think the Sat night Sunday morning turn is being done with a 717.

tom11

Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:17 am

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 29):

That's fine but are WN and B6 competing head-to-head on multiple routes?

Yes. At BDL, B6 and WN compete on BDL - MCO, BDL - TPA, BDL - FLL, and BDL - RSW. In addition, you could argue they compete on DCA/BWI (B6 to DCA, WN to BWI).

PVD-wise, they compete on FLL and MCO.

tomaheath
Topic Author

Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:35 pm

Does the Boston Express bus stop at MHT? The other night I was passing through by the airport and saw a bus going around one of the roundabout.

flyby519

Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:13 pm

Quoting tomcbaker (Reply 35):

Quoting chrisnh (Reply 32):
Like it or not, the Boston Express bus is marvelous for me.

Excellent point. The advent of these amazing regional bus lines in Maine, NH and Vermont have had a major impact as well on passenger traffic in/out of regional airports in these states. Concord Coach Lines (Boston Express, Dartmouth Coach, etc) and C&J Bus Lines will take you from cities like Bangor, Augusta, Portland, Portsmouth, Manchester and Hanover/Lebanon to BOS for fairly cheaply; you can park your car with them for free and leave it there for several weeks for free, the buses have leather seats, bathrooms, movies and free wifi, and by doing this you also don't have to worry about airport parking.

I lived in northern New England for quite a few years and I was blown away by how good the bus system was there. For example, when I lived in eastern Maine back in 2000, I would take the Concord Trailways (now Concord Coach Lines) bus from BGR to the BOS airport and it was significantly cheaper than flying a Business Express Saab 340 to BOS for my connection to the west coast. When I moved to Hanover, New Hampshire (on the Vermont border), I took the Dartmouth Coach down to BOS and it was once again cheaper than flying Colgan (now Cape Air).

Absolutely agree. Even the Logan Express busses from Woburn, Peabody, Framingham, Braintree are excellent alternatives to parking at the airport. BOS has one of the best bus connection systems of any airport I have seen.

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:00 am

People usually don't even consider the amount of passengers MHT has lost to PWM in the nine years since B6 and Air Tran (now Southwest) arrived in Portland. It's not just passengers living in metro MHT bleeding off to BOS That have lead to declining numbers at MHT.

2/3 of Maine's 1.3 million people live in the southern part of the state within 150 miles of BOS or MHT. Passenger numbers at PWM have increased by close to half a million O/D passengers per year since LCC's came to PWM. These increased boardings are directly tied to lower fares that came to PWM as a result of Air Tran and B6 coming to PWM. For decades people traveled to BOS, and later MHT for cheaper fares than could be found using PWM or BGR.

PWM has been the fastest growing airport in New England for the last several years. In 2013, it was named most afforable airport in New England.

I have not taken the bus to BOS in close to ten years. Even for international trips, PWM has been cheaper for me. Even flying DL, UA, US, for the most part they've matched the LCC fares. Just flew PWM-SAN-PWM on UA in December for $230 RT. Why take ground transport time traveling to BOS or MHT, and then clearing checkin and secruity these days when I can be halfway across the country making my connecting flight in the same time it would take just to get to plane in BOS/MHT for little if any savings? Wasn't always that way for people traveling from Northern New England. People either went to BOS, or, later on MHT when SW arrived in the late 1990's.

[Edited 2015-02-15 23:26:20]

cloudboy

Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:05 pm

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 41):
Absolutely agree. Even the Logan Express busses from Woburn, Peabody, Framingham, Braintree are excellent alternatives to parking at the airport. BOS has one of the best bus connection systems of any airport I have seen.

Not from Framingham coming down the Pike in the evening.

The current Framingham lot is hard enough to find, and even harder to get to. And that is if you can find a place to park without having to then go over to the overflow. Coming back you have long delays on the pike due to construction (though the storms have diminished that somewhat), half the time you end up taking oddball routes. Adds at least an hour and a half.

They should have built the extra tunnel tube when they put in the Ted Williams tunnel. Run a rail link right to the airport. Would have made it much easier.

tomaheath
Topic Author

Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:09 pm

MHT will be on NH chronicl Monday night at 7 for any New Hampshire folks that are interested.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos