Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Sightseer

RE: AA Announces 787 Routes; Cabin Config

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:42 am

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 39):
The backwards window seat looks like a perfect match for me. You could actually look out the window in comfort

It looks like it's basically a normal herringbone, which I've heard many people say (haven't tried it myself) is actually worse for looking out the window since you have to angle your head more. I wonder how popular these seats will be relative to the forward ones.

scbriml

Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:05 am

Quoting bourbon (Reply 43):
I have flown the 787 in both J and Y and at least for me, the cabin pressure made no difference.
I do like the Windows though. Other than the windows most passengers won't be able to tell a difference.

Agreed, aside from 3-3-3 feeling pretty cramped.

The plus side of 3x3x3 is you have a higher likely hood of having a row of 3 to yourself in which you can lie across.

Ha, good luck with that. I can't remember the last time I flew anywhere and saw that.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Carpethead

Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:30 am

No surprise about the first routes, but what's with the ultra-conservative time from delivery to first revenue service?
Even our Japanese carriers didn't take that long.
Are there issues and/or work required before service entry?

SCL767

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:04 am

Quoting Carpethead (Reply 52):

No surprise about the first routes, but what's with the ultra-conservative time from delivery to first revenue service?
Even our Japanese carriers didn't take that long.

Indeed. I have been wondering the same thing. LAN was the fourth carrier in the world to receive and operate the 787 and revenue flights commenced one month after delivery.

MSPNWA

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:20 am

I have flown the 787 in both J and Y and at least for me, the cabin pressure made no difference.

For me the higher pressure was very noticeable. The drier air of a standard cabin usually bothers me on longer flights. The 787 helped with that.

Quoting Sightseer (Reply 50):
It looks like it's basically a normal herringbone, which I've heard many people say (haven't tried it myself) is actually worse for looking out the window since you have to angle your head more. I wonder how popular these seats will be relative to the forward ones.

I could have prefaced it by saying that it might be the best you can get for a window seat with direct aisle access. And facing backward would work better for wing views.

hkcanadaexpat

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:36 am

Quoting Carpethead (Reply 52):

Like UAL before it, my understanding AA will need to do 3-4 weeks of training flights without passengers so to prove to the FAA that it is ready to start commercial operations. So basically, it needs FAA operator certification before it can accept any passengers which will include dummy flights to hubs and overseas ports as well as include facility training at different ports. Assuming its doing ground training this month, flight training next months followed by FAA certification thereafter, we'll quickly get to early May by then.
A

afcjets

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:51 pm

The plus side of 3x3x3 is you have a higher likely hood of having a row of 3 to yourself in which you can lie across.

I much prefer 2x5x2 seating and it makes more sense. Parties of three are not that common, yet there are always many parties of two. While 3x3 is necessary on narrowbodies, rows of three are not on widebodies. 2x5x2 provides more dynamic seating options, makes the plane look wider and more spacious IMO, can accommodate a family of upto 5 on one row, and most importantly only 1 of 9 seats is more than one away from an aisle. With 3x3x3 seating, 2 of 9 seats are more than one away an aisle. Also, average load factors are 89% and on 2x5x2 configuration, 89% of the seats (8 of 9) are no more than only one away from the aisle, so most of the time that centermost seat could go out unassigned so no one is more than one from an aisle. In these cases the centermost seat would be equivalent to the center console on the original DC10 and L10 configurations of 2x2/2x2 seating.

Also, as mentioned above, getting a row of three today to yourself is rare. I remember flying an AA DC10 in 1990 on a 1am LAX-DFW flight and having a row of five to myself. Actually I had the whole row of 9 to myself, and sat at the window for takeoffs and landings, but sat in the center for the movie and then laid down for a nap.

I think BA was the first airline to introduce 3x3x3 seating.

[Edited 2015-02-12 08:10:54]

[Edited 2015-02-12 08:12:14]

ckfred

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:17 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 16):
I did 3-3-3 on a 787 on a 13+ hour flight recently and it was miserably cramped. And air fares are also extremely high from what I've seen for international coach tickets now, so there's no trade off either.

How long are the consumers going to let the airlines keep diminishing comfort but keeping fares high?

My father-in-law is a retired business professor and used to teach at a college in northeast Georgia. So, he often had one or two Delta managers in his MBA classes. And, he had elite status with DL, since he flew frequently for his consulting business.

So, he would discuss the airline industry with his students. The belief in the industry is that price is the first, second, and third reasons why people select a specific flight. People who don't buy the cheapest ticket are either required to fly a specific carrier under a corporate contract, have a specific time constraint and have to fly when a ticket is more expensive, or they are so brand loyal that price isn't an issue. The last group of customers is fairly small.

If an airline refuses to follow a trend, whether it's tighter seating (so more seats can be installed) or additonal fees, the perception is that an airline then cant' offer competitive fares.

My father-in-law theorizes that when the legacies chose to match the LCCs on advance purchase fares, the mindset started to creep into the traveling public that an airline seat was a commodity. While airlines are certainly willing to compete for business and first class passengers, in terms of seating comfort, food service, etc,. airlines and passengers don't see any reason to pick a coach seat based on anything other than price.

If airlines had decided in the 80s and 90s that a coach seat on AA, UA, or DL offered more than a coach seat on Southwest or Air Tran, then they would have marketed the superior aspects.

It's like when GM luxury sedans (Olds 98, Buick Park Avenue, and Cadillac DeVille) were built off the same platforms. A Caddy dealer would never match the price of a DeVille with a similarly-optioned Park Avenue. The Caddy was marketed as a better car, and the sales price had to reflect the superiority of the Caddy, real or otherwise.

AA tried More Room Throughout Coach as a way of trying to get a premium price for a seat with more legroom, and the plan didn't work. AA coulnd't charge more. So, the cost of flying a plane from A to B had to be spread across fewer passengers.

Quoting kaitak744 (Reply 48):
When they introduced the 777-300ER, those things didn't fly revenue flights for around a month.

The 777-300 is a variant of the 777-200, which AA has been flying since 1999. The 787 is a brand new aircraft type for AA, thus it will take longer to get flight and ground crews familar with the aircraft.

afcjets

Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:03 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 16):
How long are the consumers going to let the airlines keep diminishing comfort but keeping fares high?

With three legacy network carries left, the option today is fly or not fly. I actually used to love flying and did so often, but today I only fly when absolutely necessary, and will pay for First Class if it is not overpriced as it is in some markets.. A vacation to me is not worth the hassle of the airport experience and the flight. I am sure I would feel differently if I lived in an area with cold winters. There are more people than the airlines can imagine that avoid flying whenever possible because of how awful the experience has become. With record profits they don't care but this whole business of consumers caring only about price has it's limits and they were reached a long time ago. That may be the majority of consumers but if someone told me I could fly for $300 roundtrip coach on American today or $400 roundtrip coach on American of the 80s and early 90s, (and where the airport experience was like back then too), I would pay the premium every time.

[Edited 2015-02-12 09:10:36]

ldvaviation

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:24 pm

Quoting AFCJETS (Reply 58):
That may be the majority of consumers but if someone told me I could fly for $300 roundtrip coach on American today or $400 roundtrip coach on American of the 80s and early 90s, (and where the airport experience was like back then too), I would pay the premium every time.

The difference in most cases was not $100.

In the mid-80's, an economy ticket (30-day advance purchase) from LAX/IAD on the United nonstop cost $1,200 (with taxes). My parents bought me such a ticket. I remember thinking how expensive it was. Adjusting for inflation, the cost of that ticket would be $2600+ in today's dollars.

By comparison, today, 30-days in advance, I can buy a ticket from LAX/IAD on the United nonstop for $300.

For $2,300 more dollars, the seats were not cramped, meals were as good as the ones you get in domestic first/business today, and there was even a towel service. You did have to pay $5 for the entertainment, but the bags were free and the lines to check-in were usually quite short.

ua767400

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:38 pm

So nobody knows which DFW-ORD flights the aircraft will be operating on May 7?

afcjets

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 59):
In the mid-80's, an economy ticket (30-day advance purchase) from LAX/IAD on the United nonstop cost $1,200 (with taxes). My parents bought me such a ticket. I remember thinking how expensive it was. Adjusting for inflation, the cost of that ticket would be $2600+ in today's dollars.

What you paid on one flight in the 1980s is not indicative of 1980s airline pricing. In fact, the 1980s saw the lowest pricing in the US ever. After deregulation in 1978, competition started to heat up within a few years. The airfares dropped tremendously, in many cases half. First came 7 and 14 day advance supersaver then sometime around 1985 or 1986 American introduced the even lower 30 day advance purchase fare which lowered transcon to $238-$258 roundtrip in most markets. People Express launched fares as low as $19 oneway (i.e GSO-EWR) and $99 oneway EWR-LAX. I believe EWR-LGW on them was $199 oneway or $249 depending on day. Many airlines eventually matched them domestically. Then TW, EA, and PA all in desperate attempts to generate cash often had fare sales that were not profitable but other airlines were forced to match. I am not asking for 80s airfares again, just the service and hard product from that era and I would pay a premium. FYI, $1200 was nowhere close to the 30 day advance supersaver in most domestic markets. Did you perhaps book 30 days in advance and paid a higher fare because you did not stayover a Saturday night? Airlines always required that on lower fares to prohibit business travelers from purchasing supersavers. Now so many fares are oneway based it is not as common.

[Edited 2015-02-12 10:56:32]

tonytifao

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:50 pm

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 21):
In 2014 Argentina had the worlds second largest currency decline. Inflation is around 40%, its foreign currency reserves are dropping fast which like Venezuela has created massive disparity between official rate and black market rate.
Country has imposed limits on how much cash Argentinians can leave the country with (that is if they can afford the trip at all now). They even limited consumer online shopping to reduce cash outflow from nation.

Looks like nation is headed towards another economic meltdown, so its not exactly the market that will generate overwhelming travel for airline like AA.

Brazil is next if they don't get that damn president impeached.

SCL767

Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:11 pm

Quoting tonytifao (Reply 62):
Brazil is next if they don't get that damn president impeached.

Yet passenger traffic between the two countries continues to soar. Certain Brazilian carriers just applied for 37 new weekly frequencies between Brazil and the U.S.

ldvaviation

Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:49 pm

Quoting AFCJETS (Reply 61):
What you paid on one flight in the 1980s is not indicative of 1980s airline pricing. In fact, the 1980s saw the lowest pricing in the US ever.

I know the history. I also know that my parents shopped around. In this case, that meant calling American. There were only two airlines flying the route nonstop. There were less expensive tickets with a connection. The ticket did involve a Saturday stay over.

Through my college years and a couple years afterwards, I flew JFK/LAX quite often. As you've observed, the fares did began to fall. Still, it remained more expensive to fly JFK/LAX nonstop. Some of my classmates/friends found less expensive fares by making a connection in Chicago/Detroit or flying nonstop to Newark.

By the time the advance-purchase fares reached $800 to $900 on JFK/LAX, the hot towel service was gone. It was the beginning of the end of decent service in the economy cabin.

OB1504

Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:44 pm

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 21):
In 2014 Argentina had the worlds second largest currency decline. Inflation is around 40%, its foreign currency reserves are dropping fast which like Venezuela has created massive disparity between official rate and black market rate.
Country has imposed limits on how much cash Argentinians can leave the country with (that is if they can afford the trip at all now). They even limited consumer online shopping to reduce cash outflow from nation.

Looks like nation is headed towards another economic meltdown, so its not exactly the market that will generate overwhelming travel for airline like AA.

AA has already quietly dropped F from one of the two daily MIA-EZE flights and it will be one of the first routes to see the 2-class 772, so I'm not surprised to see DFW-EZE lose premium capacity. JFK-EZE will probably be next.

Argentina is in danger of becoming the next Venezuela.

747megatop

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:06 pm

Any chance of seeing the 787 open up new international routes from LAX in AA colors?

BoeingGuy

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:14 pm

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 65):
Argentina is in danger of becoming the next Venezuela.

Too bad because Argentina is an incredible country. I'm well traveled, and it is probably my single favorite country. The scenery is amazing and diverse. Northern Argentina resembles places like Zion National Park and that area in some aspects. The wineries are world class. Buenos Aries is a fascinating city. Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego are outstanding also. Then they also have this little waterfall on the Brazilian border.

It's reasonably safe all over the country, and you don't have all the hassles like you do in places like Egypt. I can't say enough good things about that country.

Argentina is just an amazing tourist destination.

SCL767

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:18 pm

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 65):
AA has already quietly dropped F from one of the two daily MIA-EZE flights and it will be one of the first routes to see the 2-class 772

Interestingly AA quietly added F on the DFW-SCL route. Also, it appears that AA will temporarily deploy the 2-class 772 on the MIA-SCL route, (in June MIA-SCL switches to the 3-class 772).

Sooner787

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:18 pm

Quoting ua767400 (Reply 60):
So nobody knows which DFW-ORD flights the aircraft will be operating on May 7?

Well, right now AA2334 DFW - ORD is operated by a 763 850a - 1103a

don't see any widebody return though

KD5MDK

Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:04 am

Quoting ckfred (Reply 57):
So, he would discuss the airline industry with his students. The belief in the industry is that price is the first, second, and third reasons why people select a specific flight. People who don't buy the cheapest ticket are either required to fly a specific carrier under a corporate contract, have a specific time constraint and have to fly when a ticket is more expensive, or they are so brand loyal that price isn't an issue. The last group of customers is fairly small.

If an airline refuses to follow a trend, whether it's tighter seating (so more seats can be installed) or additonal fees, the perception is that an airline then cant' offer competitive fares.

Were cutbacks that were cancelled like US charging for drinks, etc considered evidence that price didn't matter enough?
If the customer is entirely price sensitive, how did Song fail?

LAXdude1023

Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:22 am

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 68):
Interestingly AA quietly added F on the DFW-SCL route. Also, it appears that AA will temporarily deploy the 2-class 772 on the MIA-SCL route, (in June MIA-SCL switches to the 3-class 772).

AA seems to be moving the new 777's to Miami for now while the 787's look to be based at DFW to begin.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

PHX787

Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:32 am

Reminds me of JL's cabin a bit. I wonder if the 787 will be used by AA to Japan.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

jfkgig

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:07 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 24):

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 19):
Have you not heard/seen the growing economic malaise in Argentina?

So what? It has never kept the wealthy Argentines from flying, of which there are many. LH´s FRA-EZE in F is always full. It´s not an issue at all.

That is certainly true, but there are fewer and fewer wealthy Argentines every day. Argentina is certainly amongst those few countries which can be said to be in a full blown depression -- there is no mere recession in Argentina. Even for the declining numbers of those with wealth, the barriers to converting the Peso into foreign currency means that travel is far more difficult than before -- unless one had the foresight to keep sufficient funds overseas. This is also a problem for foreign travelers, as the foreign currency controls have made Argentina quite expensive in Peso terms, for those without the interest or ability to deal in the "Blue" market (aka Black Market). If the present regime stays in place, it is difficult to see Argentina as anything other than a declining travel market.

Independence76

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:23 pm

Will it be AA2334 (confirmed)?

Also, will it be loaded into the system at midnight Eastern or Central time?

777dfw

Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:06 am

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 69):

AA 2334 is now showing up as an MD-80 for May 7th.

ua767400

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:29 am

I'd expect AA2320 (7:00AM flight to ORD) to be the inaugural flight on May 7. First is already sold out

Independence76

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:44 am

Quoting ua767400 (Reply 76):
I'd expect AA2320 (7:00AM flight to ORD) to be the inaugural flight on May 7. First is already sold out

Considering it's $351 round trip, I'm almost having second thoughts...

OB1504

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:54 am

Quoting Independence76 (Reply 74):
Also, will it be loaded into the system at midnight Eastern or Central time?

Nothing as of midnight EST.

Quoting 777DFW (Reply 75):
AA 2334 is now showing up as an MD-80 for May 7th.

I'm hoping it is 2334 because it'll give me a chance to fly in from MIA on the same day.

Independence76

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:56 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 78):
I'm hoping it is 2334

Same! Only a few more minutes.

It's 12:10 AM Central and still nothing loaded into the system...

[Edited 2015-02-13 22:10:57]

Independence76

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:30 am

12:30 AM here and still nothing.

My father is reporting that AA JetNet's flight database is having connection issues and is timing out in his browser. Either Sabre is having issues or everyone has the same idea to book on this one flight.

SCL767

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:11 am

AA2320 DFW-ORD
AA2320 ORD-DFW

Independence76

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:19 am

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 81):
AA2320 DFW-ORD
AA2320 ORD-DFW

I'm still seeing 32B on that. It's normal for Thursdays to fill that slot.

SCL767

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:42 am

Quoting Independence76 (Reply 82):
I'm still seeing 32B on that. It's normal for Thursdays to fill that slot.

US Airways already loaded the 787-8 flights! Visit usairways.com.

AA2320 DFW 07:10 ORD 09:36 B-787-8
AA2320 ORD 12:10 DFW 14:57 B-787-8

Grabed a seat on AA2320 at a very nice price! Thanks US Airways!  

DFWEagle

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:47 am

AA2320 DFW 07:10 ORD 09:36 788 eff 07MAY15
AA2320 ORD 12:10 DFW 14:57 788 eff 07MAY15
Ryan in DFW

Independence76

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:48 am

Snatched my ticket!

AA2320 on May 7th! Returning a few days later after a trip with a friend!

817Dreamliiner

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:52 am

There's also a second flight:

AA2373 DFW1725 – 1956ORD 788 x6
AA2373 ORD2225 – 0100+1DFW 788 x6
I'll wake from the dream, To keep and relive, Now life it is a dream, And dream's on a... BREAK!

SCL767

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:57 am

Quoting Independence76 (Reply 85):
Snatched my ticket!

Great! These flights are probably already heavily booked; if not sold out! I just love Boeing 787 inaugural flights!  

AAtakeMeAway

Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:39 pm

Any word on when EZE will be available? For 6/15 specifically...

iadguy73

Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:12 pm

When will they start PHL-NRT or PHL-PVG?   

PA727

Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:52 pm

Maybe sharing this is a bad idea, but given the seating differences between the 32B and the 788, I put my ticket on 24 hr hold with AA, hoping they load the 788 by tomorrow night and I can snag an additional J seat that will become available or a better MCE window seat.

The remaining seat availability this far in advance really speaks to the interest in this new bird, and evidently not just here on Anet!

Max752

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:16 pm

It's Feb 14 (the day the 788 tickets were supposed to go up) and no 787-8 tickets up!

Any news from AA regarding their 787, have they put it on hold???
Super 80, pff, more like Stupid 80 | TravelUpdate.com & TheCollegePoints.com |

817Dreamliiner

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:24 pm

Quoting Max752 (Reply 91):
It's Feb 14 (the day the 788 tickets were supposed to go up) and no 787-8 tickets up!

Any news from AA regarding their 787, have they put it on hold???

It helps to read the thread:

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 83):

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 86):
There's also a second flight:

AA2373 DFW1725 – 1956ORD 788 x6
AA2373 ORD2225 – 0100+1DFW 788 x6
I'll wake from the dream, To keep and relive, Now life it is a dream, And dream's on a... BREAK!

Max752

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:29 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 92):

You can't book J though...

Longhornmaniac

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:38 pm

Quoting Max752 (Reply 93):

Because it's zeroed out.

AA2320 is now showing as a 788 on aa.com, but seat map is still a 32B.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

Max752

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:39 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 94):
Because it's zeroed out.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does that mean??

817Dreamliiner

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:42 pm

Quoting Max752 (Reply 95):
Excuse my ignorance, but what does that mean??

Sold out.

Longhornmaniac

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:54 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 96):

Not necessarily. It just means at the moment there aren't any seats available for sale. In many cases you're right, but they can block seats for a variety of reasons (oversale in the back, needing to ensure there are space for upgrades up front is just one).

It may seem like I'm splitting hairs, but there is a difference.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

Maverick623

Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:08 pm

Quoting Max752 (Reply 91):

Chill, give it a day:

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 31):

GDS loads tend to go in overnight from Saturday into Sunday.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Max752

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:43 am

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 97):
It may seem like I'm splitting hairs, but there is a difference.

I agree with what you're saying here. If J was sold out AA.com and USair.com would say "Sold Out" not "Not Available". I think AA is doing something special with their inaugural therefore is making special arrangements for press and company executives. I see J being freed up next week with 15-17 up for sale compared to 28.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos