Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B8887
Topic Author

UA Software Glitch: Tatl For USD 75

Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:27 pm

Link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...satlantic-flights-for-just-50.html

Quote:

"United Airlines ‘Denmark’ glitches offers first-class transatlantic flights for just £50"

B8887

a380787

RE: UA Software Glitch: Tatl For USD 75

Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:39 pm

deal has been dead since around 10:20am EST this morning

UA hasn't announced whether it would be honored. I grabbed 2 of those tickets myself.

wilco737

Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:44 pm

I heard from a couple of guys who received cancellation of the ticket already.

wilco737

a380787

Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:01 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 2):
I heard from a couple of guys who received cancellation of the ticket already.

Those using FareLock, paid with third-party sites like Paypal or WesternUnion, those itineraries that didn't touch the US, or those with partner airlines are most easily subject to cancellation

MavyWavyATR

Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:47 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 1):
UA hasn't announced whether it would be honored

In my view, UA has no choice but to honor the tickets. If they don't...they'll find themselves in the courthouse.

777STL

Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:55 pm

Quoting MavyWavyATR (Reply 4):
In my view, UA has no choice but to honor the tickets. If they don't...they'll find themselves in the courthouse.

And I'm sure somewhere on their website, they've got a disclaimer absolving them of liability in the event of an error, especially one that apparently wasn't their fault.
PHX based

airzim

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:05 pm

Anyone with 1/2 a brain cell knows that First Class TATL tickets are no where near £50. Someone who buys these tickets at these prices knows they're exploiting a mistake and stealing from United. I think United has every right to cancel these tickets given that this was clearly an error

I'm sure others feel tough on United, but ethically and morally, this is dishonest and wrong.

andrej

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:13 pm

Many airlines have honored such deals before.

Quoting 777stl (Reply 5):
And I'm sure somewhere on their website, they've got a disclaimer absolving them of liability in the event of an error, especially one that apparently wasn't their fault.

I would not be surprised by such statement, but maybe a judge may rule on it anyways.

Quoting airzim (Reply 6):
Someone who buys these tickets at these prices knows they're exploiting a mistake and stealing from United.

On the other hand, one may argue that those that purchased this ticket for GBP 50, just exploited an arbitrage opportunity (provided by United). At the end, in the World of Capitalism, there are winners and losers on daily basis....

United1

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:13 pm

Quoting 777stl (Reply 5):

Yup...and I'm sure that the vendor who screwed up will be charged back for any lost revenue if they do honor the tickets...
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

a380787

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:16 pm

Quoting United1 (Reply 8):

Yup...and I'm sure that the vendor who screwed up will be charged back for any lost revenue if they do honor the tickets...

That can easily bankrupt a small FX data provider. Imagine $10,000 rev x 2 tickets each person x 100 people = $2mil

$2M is nothing to UA but for a small company it might be their entire cash balance.

United1

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:23 pm

Not sure who UA uses for FX but vendors are accountable for their actions.....the one I deal with are at least  
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

robsaw

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:03 pm

The past record of airlines honoring "mistake" fares is mixed. A quick search on court actions suggests passengers may be entitled to some consequential damages (i.e. other non-cancellable travel plans made on the basis of the air ticket) beyond a straight full refund of the air ticket but can't demand the ticket be honoured. Similar errors have been cancelled before by other airlines and I didn't see any ready linkage to class-action lawsuits.

a380787

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:11 pm

Quoting robsaw (Reply 11):

The past record of airlines honoring "mistake" fares is mixed. A quick search on court actions suggests passengers may be entitled to some consequential damages (i.e. other non-cancellable travel plans made on the basis of the air ticket) beyond a straight full refund of the air ticket but can't demand the ticket be honoured. Similar errors have been cancelled before by other airlines and I didn't see any ready linkage to class-action lawsuits.

Agreed. As we speak, UA's lawyers are fretting over every single wording of DOT regulation to see if they can get themselves out of this. Probably will take 2-3 days before UA makes a final ruling of whether they're honored.

Rdh3e

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:32 pm

The contract of carriage has this clause, but that's about all I could find that would relate:

"H) UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems abusive, illogical, fictitious, or which arebooked and/or reserved with no intention of flying without notice to the passenger."

[Edited 2015-02-11 13:33:06]

32andBelow

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:49 pm

The cheapest thing to do is just honor the tickets. Any damages paid out are probably going to be more than the marginal cost of letting the pax ride over a non-rev!

B747forever

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:53 pm

They have come out with a statement that they will void the tickets. However, I am sure we have not heard the end of this yet.
Work Hard, Fly Right

ytz

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:59 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 13):
"H) UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems abusive, illogical, fictitious, or which arebooked and/or reserved with no intention of flying without notice to the passenger."

A mistake on the part of UA, does not meet any of those standards. But UA will probably make you spend as much as the ticket would usually cost, in court, fighting them.

United1

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:11 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 14):
The cheapest thing to do is just honor the tickets.

Probably...UA has in the past when they have made a mistake honored the tickets the only wrinkle this time is that it wasn't UA who screwed up. My bet is at the end of the day they will honor the tickets and either go after the vendor or just write it off....

COSPN

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:29 pm

UA will pay it is responsible for all vendor actions ;United1 I would love to see any evidence of a vendor ever paying back United anything it just does not work like that . That is the difference between a contractor and a vendor . They will have to pay something to these customers probally travel certificates to keep them out of court .

Would be interesting to know how many millions UA pays out in vendor screw ups like this . And how many United employees they could hire for those millions  

lpdal

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:44 pm

Sorry guys, all these tickets are going to be canceled.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7454/16319541367_2bb4184b30_b_d.jpg
Looks like you'll have to go back to buying first class tickets legitimately instead of trying to game the United system.  Wink

-LPDAL

[Edited 2015-02-11 15:53:23]
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

MavyWavyATR

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:10 am

Quoting lpdal (Reply 19):
Sorry guys, all these tickets are going to be canceled.

Looks like you'll have to go back to buying first class tickets legitimately instead of trying to game the United system.  

-LPDAL

I see some fraud complaints in UA's future as well as a trip to the courthouse over this.

777STL

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:52 am

Similar errors have been cancelled before by other airlines and I didn't see any ready linkage to class-action lawsuits.

Qantas had one of these incidents a few years ago and they canceled the tickets. One guy on Flyertalk supposedly pitched a fit and got some sort of settlement that he wasn't at liberty to discuss. But yeah, it's not going to be worth the time or money to fight this.
PHX based

coolian2

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:14 am

Quoting lpdal (Reply 19):
Looks like you'll have to go back to buying first class tickets legitimately instead of trying to game the United system.  

How on actual earth are you "gaming the system" if United/a supplier dun goofed?

That's such an outlandish suggestion I'd almost assume you're joking.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

United1

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:25 am

Quoting COSPN (Reply 18):
United1 I would love to see any evidence of a vendor ever paying back United anything it just does not work like that . That is the difference between a contractor and a vendor .

If I hire a vendor to do something for me and they fail to do it, at least at the organization I work at, they are held liable for it and we expect them to fix the issue....don't see why UA would function any differently than that.

lpdal

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:48 am

I think, going into this sort of thing; you have to know that you're exploiting a loophole and are pretty much guarenteed no "liabilities" by United--UA doesn't sell revenue first class tickets for $85 intentionally. Not to mention, according to the contract of carriage, United does not have to honor the contract of carriage of the folks who utilized fake Danish addresses to purchase the tickets--as per their contract, you must input your true address or the ticket is void.

Even if it's not illegal, there is still such a thing as ethics. Did anyone honestly believe United was going to sell you a first class translantic ticket for eighty dollars???

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

thegman

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:58 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 20):

-LPDAL

I couldn't think of a more condescending remark. Seriously.

I think UA should honor them, mis-priced goods happen every day and the price is honored (usually). This is no different.

D L X

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:21 am

I'm guessing that literally thousands (like as in, 10,000) first class tickets were sold at 1/200th of their actual price. One guy was bragging that he bought 50 by himself. You have people faking Danish addresses and paying via Western Union to hide their actual US residency. It's the equivalent of a million dollars falling out of a Brinks truck.

10000 first class tickets. That's like about 1000 flights!

I can't see how any of these folks whose tickets are cancelled will have any recourse.

dc10lover

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:24 am

Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

lpdal

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:05 am

My ability to predict responses has gotten quite good, I must say. Actually, the reason I included that is because I knew the first response would be some sort of spin on the classic "I couldn't afford XYZ, therefore justification".

That you cannot afford something is no sort of valid excuse for any unethical behavior even if it is not black and white illegal. I can't go jack a Ferrari from the exotic car dealership down the street from my house, and tell the police officer who stopped me "The person who was writing the price with paint on the windshield ran out of paint when they had written $10, so, while he went inside, I legit thought that the F430 Spyder parked on the lot cost only $10. So I threw a brick through one of the windows, hopped in, and sped off, because legit, Ferrari F430 Spyders are often sold for only ten dollars, therefore I am absolved of Grand Theft charges".

What this really comes down to, in my view, is that the justification for the majority of the people becoming outright hostile at United for not honoring these tickets, are people who could not afford first class long haul fares the majority of the time, thus, when United accidentally forgets a few zeros and makes a $15,000 fare only $15, they believe that they can point to the contract of carriage, most of whom are void anyway because of using fake Danish addresses (and, interestingly enough, many of whom openly brag about gaming United's system as noted by another user, who probably think that withholding most information on their social media profiles and aviation fan sites somehow "anonymizes" themselves), and become smug in the fact that they secured a translantic first class ticket for pennies. Then, when United yanked these garbage tickets, they acted as if there is no difference between a $15 and $15,000 ticket, and, when you shake their argument down to "ring hollow" status, it stems from the core from the inability to afford such an expensive ticket, and thus the utilization of elaborate tricks and/or loophole exploitation is almost necessary to be able, legally or ethically or neither, to access the product or service that was once out of their financial grasp.

-LPDAL

32andBelow

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:29 am

Quoting lpdal (Reply 33):

My ability to predict responses has gotten quite good, I must say. Actually, the reason I included that is because I knew the first response would be some sort of spin on the classic "I couldn't afford XYZ, therefore justification".

That you cannot afford something is no sort of valid excuse for any unethical behavior even if it is not black and white illegal. I can't go jack a Ferrari from the exotic car dealership down the street from my house, and tell the police officer who stopped me "The person who was writing the price with paint on the windshield ran out of paint when they had written $10, so, while he went inside, I legit thought that the F430 Spyder parked on the lot cost only $10. So I threw a brick through one of the windows, hopped in, and sped off, because legit, Ferrari F430 Spyders are often sold for only ten dollars, therefore I am absolved of Grand Theft charges".

What this really comes down to, in my view, is that the justification for the majority of the people becoming outright hostile at United for not honoring these tickets, are people who could not afford first class long haul fares the majority of the time, thus, when United accidentally forgets a few zeros and makes a $15,000 fare only $15, they believe that they can point to the contract of carriage, most of whom are void anyway because of using fake Danish addresses (and, interestingly enough, many of whom openly brag about gaming United's system as noted by another user, who probably think that withholding most information on their social media profiles and aviation fan sites somehow "anonymizes" themselves), and become smug in the fact that they secured a translantic first class ticket for pennies. Then, when United yanked these garbage tickets, they acted as if there is no difference between a $15 and $15,000 ticket, and, when you shake their argument down to "ring hollow" status, it stems from the core from the inability to afford such an expensive ticket, and thus the utilization of elaborate tricks and/or loophole exploitation is almost necessary to be able, legally or ethically or neither, to access the product or service that was once out of their financial grasp.

-LPDAL

Buying a ticket for a listed price online is exactly an elaborate loophole. How bout they just honor the tickets and then make customers for life. The we messed up not fly with us sale. Can't get that much goodwill with millions in advertising. Welcome to the real world pal. Even Mark Cuban would try to swoop that ticket for 75 if he can.

lpdal

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:47 am

As I said, and now for the final time, it's ridiculous to expect that United would honor a $85 translantic first class fare. In fact, I knew from the outset that United would never honor eighty dollar translantic first class fares, they would lose so much money that the benefit of holding onto likely low yield "customer for life" pax, who would ditch United in a heartbeat when they actually have to legitimately pay for their next trip and find a lower fare on Delta, or JetBlue, etcetera. United doesn't care about the false-hope "customer for life" types who, in creating some sort of situation in which they are unable to purchase expensive first class tickets legitimately, passing off such a scenario as "being in the 'real world'" and then justifying their exploitation by the fact that CEO or rich dude XYZ would do it, than it must be okay. In reality, United couldn't care less about the "real world" pass-offers, who, more than likely, are not Premier 1K or Global Services, and I would hazard a guess to say, not even Premier Silver, in actuality just going for the lowest fare regardless of the airline transporting them to their destination.

-LPDAL

[Edited 2015-02-11 22:54:44]

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:48 am

Anyone with 1/2 a brain cell knows that First Class TATL tickets are no where near £50. Someone who buys these tickets at these prices knows they're exploiting a mistake and stealing from United.

Not at all. They're purchasing a product for the price advertised. Full stop.

I'm sure others feel tough on United, but ethically and morally, this is dishonest and wrong.

And when you failed to read the fine print and had to spend $100 on an OHB spot for your carry on, it's not the airline being deceptive as hell, but only you not reading the COC and doing due diligence, right?

You don't get to have it both ways. UA screwed this up, and as a civil matter, they're going to wish they'd just honored the tickets when they had the chance by the time this is all over.

Why, for love of all things, do you have to be so continually and irretrievably stupid , United???
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

zrs70

Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:32 am

All too often, when people do something they know isn't right, they build a case to help justify their actions.

In this case, I would ask those who purchased the fare, "Would you have called United and spoken to an agent about it?" If the answer is "no, because the agent would not have sold me that fare," then you know you are exploiting a mistake.

It does't matter that the airline is a big corporation with deep pockets. It matter that we as consumers care about doing the ethical thing.
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

United1

Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:34 am

Quoting DarkSnowyNight (Reply 38):
Not at all. They're purchasing a product for the price advertised. Full stop.

No...they they took advantage of an error, made by a vendor, after reading about it on a website that has devolved into www.dowecheatthemandhow.com. UA loaded the fares correctly however the FX vendor didn't convert the fare...

[Edited 2015-02-11 23:35:36]

LH7478i

Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:39 am

To be honest I think United SHOULD honor the tickets. Besides the fact that First Class tickets are mostly fully refundable... if you spend $17,000 on a ride from Europe to the east coast or South America, do you think you should be entitled to a refund once you notice that you spend a whole years rent for a 12h flight? Your problem, should have thought about it before buying the ticket. It is United's duty to make sure the prices of their offerings are correct. With airlines advertising dirt cheap fares all over the place, how should non-frequent flyers differentiate?

And by the way... how is it so hard to prevent issues like this ? I'm not an expert, but would it be work for computer science interns to build in a final check before confirming the tickets a la If(international first class fare smaller than xyz) , then(flag) ?

Cheers
A319, A320, A321, A333, A346, B733, B735, B73G, B738, B744, B748, B757, B767, CRJ200, CRJ700, CRJ900, EMB135, EMB145, E1

MaverickM11

Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:57 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 34):
How bout they just honor the tickets and then make customers for life.

Ha. These aren't customers *any* airline wants.

Quoting D L X (Reply 36):
3) Why would anyone think that people would become customers for life on UA when they live in Europe, and rarely take these kinds of trips?
4) Why would anyone think that people would become customers for life when they only book these trips when they're 1% of their actual price?

I don't take responsibility at all

mmo

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:40 am

Seems as if UA has taken a position to not honor the tickets.

http://www.travelmole.com/news_featu...!bs~bT_&w_id=10676&news_id=2015403
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

Raventech

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:49 am

This reminds me of a legal scenario that was told to me where if someone buys a TV from someone that is an insane deal (75 % off) then turns out to be stolen, the buyer could actually be charged with knowingly receiving stolen property because it at that steep of a discount they should have known it was shady (they said that 1/2 off was usually the bar that goes from most likely legitimate into most likely stolen and trying to move fast).

NOTE: I am NOT saying those who bought the fair are criminals. I am saying that the legal system will probably say that they knew it was too good to be true when they booked it and allow United to cancel the tickets and refund the money.

Quoting LH7478i (Reply 41):
And by the way... how is it so hard to prevent issues like this ? I'm not an expert, but would it be work for computer science interns to build in a final check before confirming the tickets a la If(international first class fare smaller than xyz) , then(flag) ?

Generally that would work but in this case that kind of a solution would not have solved it because the reason it was so cheap is because the conversion rate supplied by a third party was wrong, so when the check system converted it back to US dollars for verification it would have come back true. The only way to get around this would to contract a second company to supply an independent conversion rate for the purposes of this check.

style

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:15 pm

Quoting LH7478i (Reply 40):
To be honest I think United SHOULD honor the tickets. Besides the fact that First Class tickets are mostly fully refundable... if you spend $17,000 on a ride from Europe to the east coast or South America, do you think you should be entitled to a refund once you notice that you spend a whole years rent for a 12h flight? Your problem, should have thought about it before buying the ticket. It is United's duty to make sure the prices of their offerings are correct. With airlines advertising dirt cheap fares all over the place, how should non-frequent flyers differentiate?

I would think you notice when you take out your credit card and pay the $17,000 fare. You also assume it is a whole years rent for the person buying the ticket. To some, they spend that much in a month as to where someone else might not even spend that in a year.

Let's not kid ourselves, these people knew they were gaming the system.

MKIAZ

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:19 pm

Almost all online retailers will cancel price mistakes (if they notice them before the items are delivered) because they have language about not being responsible for errors and the industry is not really regulated.

In this case though, the DOT has pretty clear language about not increasing prices after tickets are purchased - without any mention of errors or mistake fares. This is why so many of them have been honoured in the past. Just look at Etihad's Christmas day mistake.

But in a case like this where the error is so expensive (especially if the bookings were using partner carriers F) I would expect United to cancel the tickets and deal with the repercussions later, as most people will just shrug and accept it - and the very few customers who file complaints or suits can be placated.

nonrevman

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:41 pm

I sure hope no one went on to book other nonrefundable things like hotels, Broadway shows, etc right after they bought the airfare.

S75752

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:19 pm

I don't see why anyone would think UA should or would honor the tickets that are sold out of an error. I'm not going to bother touching on all the ethics stuff, but let's just take a look at it from common sense.

If consumers were to go after UA, what sort of argument would they seriously have to present in court? That they were cheated out of $85? UA gave them their money back in full when they cancelled the tickets, so what else is there to possibly argue?
Secondly, a fraud argument doesn't make sense as there was clearly no conscious fraud act committed; it's precisely an error. Nobody chose to go and set those ticket prices down that low, one thing simply led to another in an automated system.

If UA had done some sort of deceptive marketing thing, giving the impression of actual F tickets for $85 each way then maybe there'd be some sort of argument to be had, albeit a weak one. But they didn't, it was simply an error, and I would say not an error of UA's responsibility. They fixed the error and cleaned up the "damage" by refunding the money paid back in full.

Maybe, UA will consider having a system in place that checks currency conversions between two or three different agencies. Not that there seems to be much risk in the first place, for reasons stated above.

aa1818

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:52 pm

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 38):
All too often, when people do something they know isn't right, they build a case to help justify their actions.In this case, I would ask those who purchased the fare, "Would you have called United and spoken to an agent about it?" If the answer is "no, because the agent would not have sold me that fare," then you know you are exploiting a mistake.It does't matter that the airline is a big corporation with deep pockets. It matter that we as consumers care about doing the ethical thing.

When I see a very low fare advertised and book X carrier because of it over Y carrier. Does X carrier call me and point out that they have a checked bag fee, and a carry-on fee, and a fee at the airport if I want to check in there, etc? No. So, UA made a mistake, tough luck. Deal with it.

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

antoniemey

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:56 pm

Quoting nonrevman (Reply 46):
I sure hope no one went on to book other nonrefundable things like hotels, Broadway shows, etc right after they bought the airfare.

They can still get tickets for airfare to get to those if they did... but it's going to cost them more than the error fare and probably be in the back.

If they try to argue that United should be responsible for those costs they MIGHT get a ruling in their favor... or UA may comp them a cheap economy ticket, but they won't be getting a sub-$100 F ticket.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

flyingturtle

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:37 pm

Companies must have some checks in place in order to prevent such errors. They hire lots of programmers which are paid lots of $$$. As long as no party was forced to do anything, a ticket to Mars aboard the next U.S. spaceship for $10 is perfectly legitimate. After all, there is freedom of contract - as long as I don't violate any laws, I can specify literally anything in a contract.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

brilondon

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:46 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 13):
The contract of carriage has this clause, but that's about all I could find that would relate:

Quoting MavyWavyATR (Reply 21):
I see some fraud complaints in UA's future as well as a trip to the courthouse over this.

The only way there is going to be any legal action is if there were any wrongdoing by UA, and they have a clause in their carriage agreement which releases UA of any obligation to honour the tickets that were illegitimate and purchased at a fare that UA did not agree to. No wrong doing here on UA's part.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

s4popo

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:10 pm

It's obviously a mistake fare and everyone that booked it knows so. However, the public in large has very little goodwill towards airlines. How does an individual feel when he has to miss a flight due to a medical/family/etc emergency? The airline's response - "sorry you bought a nonrefundable ticket." People are treated like cattle, nickel and dimed for everything, and you want them to feel sorry if an airline loses money over a mistake? Granted, in this case the mistake was by a third party, but the United is still responsible for what its selling on its website. Not going to happen. Consolidation has produced handsomely profitable airlines, but at the expense of worse flying experience, reduced customer service, gutting of frequent flier accounts, etc. The airlines have all of the bargaining power and they know it.

Flyer732

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:21 pm

Quoting lpdal (Reply 36):
I knew from the outset that United would never honor eighty dollar translantic first class fares, they would lose so much money that the benefit of holding onto likely low yield "customer for life" pax,

You do understand that the cost of a first class passenger in the seat is no where close to what they charge? The cost of the meal is roughly $30-$40, add in some for drinks, and that's that. You didn't see Etihad refuse to honor their mistake fares, where people were getting USA-Multiple destinations around the world for under $200. Granted those were in economy class, but they still sold thousands of tickets, and not only have they honored them, they even posted on their social media pages on the best way to enjoy the destinations that people were getting the mistake fares to.

FlyingHollander

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:27 pm

The thing I don't like about this is, is that if the error would have made the tickets more expensice the airline most likely would't have done a thing.
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

lpdal

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:27 pm

As expressed by others and I on past threads (hidden city ticketing, skiplagged etc etc) where consumers justify their misdeeds, whether they are illegal or unethical or break the airline's contract or all three, by saying things like, "I can't afford it", "The airlines charge too much", etc., it does not matter what you think of the law, contract, or corporate policy. You must follow it or you have no reasonable expectation of products or services being rendered.

I feel stupid having to point out the kindergarten concept that rules must be followed in order for a desired outcome for the end user but then again, according to some, as long as United listed a $17,000 ticket for $17, then they are 100% entitled for it, and apparentelly, according to one commentator, there is no difference between $17 and $17,000. Not in my state. Here, United could simply refund the $17 ticket, and be done with it. And honestly, United is right here. Just because you can't afford something does NOT mean you can pull tricks, act in an unethical manner, and/or break the law to get products that are out of your financial grasp.

-LPDAL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos