Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rampbro
Topic Author

Report: 'drunk' FA Delays BOS-SEA

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:47 pm

A buddy of mine reports that his BOS-SEA flight on AS has been delayed due to a drunk flight attendant. The following has also appeared on teh interwebz:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ht-delayed-drunk-flight-attendant/

Flight has been delayed 12 hours.

[Edited 2015-02-13 10:48:45]

hiflyeras

RE: Report: 'drunk' FA Delays BOS-SEA

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:28 pm

Very sad that someone throws away their career if this is true.

bennett123

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:56 pm

If this is true, perhaps she should have rung in sick.

windowflyer

Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:40 am

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 2):
perhaps she should have rung in sick.

And who would that help? No one. Not her and certainly not the airline.
Far better for her problem to be known and addressed. (Assuming she has a problem.)
Lots of mini alc bottles on planes. Don't want her getting drunk while flying.

Hate it when employees phone in "sick". Had one who was "sick" every Monday morning.
Being too drunk or hung-over to show up for work is not called being sick people.
Its called being a pathetic low-life looser.
A-300,319,320,321,330,340,380. B-727,737,747,757,767,777,787. L-1011,DC8,DC9,MD80,CRJ,Dash-8,YS-11,HS-748,Concorde

SLCUT2777

Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:43 am

I have a feeling she'll hear Donald Trump's favorite two words.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

29erUSA187

Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:49 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 4):
I have a feeling she'll hear Donald Trump's favorite two words.

And what would those be?

TheMSYGuy

Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:05 am

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 5):

"You're fired."

hiflyeras

Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:08 am

Not much tolerance for that in the airline industry...it's one strike and you're out in most cases. Anyone on strike two due the to the generosity of their employer is most definitely toast.

SLCUT2777

Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:30 am

Quoting HiFlyerAS (Reply 7):
Not much tolerance for that in the airline industry...it's one strike and you're out in most cases. Anyone on strike two due the to the generosity of their employer is most definitely toast.

Won't the leeches at the IAM defend her & call an adverse action against AS?
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

maxamuus

Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:50 am

Quoting windowflyer (Reply 3):
Had one who was "sick" every Monday morning.
Being too drunk or hung-over to show up for work is not called being sick people.
Its called being a pathetic low-life looser.

Your ignorance of the subject of addiction is VERY apparent. Addiction is a disease, not a character flaw. People with addiction need treatment like any other person with a disease, not to be called "pathetic low-life looser"

Perhaps you should read up on the subject, before you cast your dim witted insults.

windowflyer

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:02 am

Quoting maxamuus (Reply 9):
Your ignorance of the subject of addiction is VERY apparent.

Clearly you missed my first point.

"Far better for her problem to be known and addressed."

Alcoholism is a serious and very real problem. I know that first hand. I did not mean to offend anyone and if I did I do apologize.

My issue was with reply #2, which inferred that it would have been ok for this person to simply phone in sick.
Perhaps I was a bit harsh. That issue does irk me so...

[Edited 2015-02-13 22:08:25]
A-300,319,320,321,330,340,380. B-727,737,747,757,767,777,787. L-1011,DC8,DC9,MD80,CRJ,Dash-8,YS-11,HS-748,Concorde

lweber557

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:22 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 4):
have a feeling she'll hear Donald Trump's favorite two words.

This guy says it better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQQ9_p02o0
FAA Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

AWACSooner

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:28 am

Quoting maxamuus (Reply 9):
Addiction is a disease, not a character flaw.

IBTD...it's about poor choices.

Quoting HiFlyerAS (Reply 7):

Same goes with MOST of the military as well nowadays.

opethfan

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:40 am

Quoting lweber557 (Reply 15):
This guy says it better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQQ9_p02o0

There's been a lot of negativity in this thread, so it's good to see some "you're fyyahh!" in the house.

airportugal310

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:11 am

Look...it's a lousy situation all around, but there's no indication the flight attendant is an alcoholic. I don't even know how everyone came to this conclusion. Has no one ever shown up hungover to work before?

Maybe said person was having a great time, lost track of time (lord knows it happens) and next thing you know...it's time to show up to work. Agree they should have called in but going down the path of saying "alcoholism" is a bit of a stretch

Sometime the "holier than thou" attitude is very apparent on these threads.
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

bennett123

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:10 am

Windowflyer

Perhaps I should clarify reply 2

Better for the FA, who would not be fired.

Better for the passengers, probably less delay.

Better for safety, she might not have been spotted, and the flight could have gone with her on board, (we do not know how obviousely drunk she was).

Clearly she needed to get treatment if she is actually an Alcoholic, (which we do not know).

I was not condoning turning up drunk for work.

EA CO AS

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:19 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 8):

Change "IAM" to "AFA"...and no, not a chance. Union leadership has an obligation to represent the FA but won't go all-out to defend someone who puts them all in a bad light.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

xdlx

Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:58 pm

Remember, everyone is innocent until proven otherwise.

TSA has been known to accuse crewmembers that have "alcohol" in breath.... Only to find out it was Listerine!

ltbewr

Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:34 pm

I am quite sure the FA accused will be subject to an investigation by the airline's HR department with involvement of her union. This may have been a one-off situation, in which case a short suspension would be in order with counseling and a probation period if a reoccurrence.
If upon investigation a pattern of excessive drinking or calling in sick due to alcohol use, then they could be fired. Our Disabilities and health privacy laws limit how far an employer can discipline or fire an employee.
One has to consider the investment made in this employee but it also has to be balanced from the unacceptable situation of being intoxicated at work.

enilria

Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:45 pm

Quoting HiFlyerAS (Reply 1):

Very sad that someone throws away their career if this is true.
Quoting ltbewr (Reply 25):

I am quite sure the FA accused will be subject to an investigation by the airline's HR department with involvement of her union. This may have been a one-off situation, in which case a short suspension would be in order with counseling and a probation period if a reoccurrence.

I would say there is some difference between getting drunk because you got the call that your father suddenly died and getting drunk because you turned 24. Either way, it was irresponsible, but I'd hope the punishment would be different.

maxamuus

Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:11 pm

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 18):

You can beg to differ all you want, but it doesnt change medical fact. Here is some light reading for you on the subject http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...ism/basics/definition/con-20020866

bond007

Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:11 pm

Quoting maxamuus (Reply 27):

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 18):

You can beg to differ all you want, but it doesnt change medical fact. Here is some light reading for you on the subject http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...ism/basics/definition/con-20020866

Medical fact doesn't change the fact that it still caused by choice. You don't get to be an alcoholic by drinking water all of your life, or even a glass of wine with dinner twice a week. Same is true for every drug 'of choice'. I'm not an alcoholic or a drug addict, and the main reason for that is that I choose to drink in moderation (mostly!) and choose not to use other drugs.

I don't think anyone disagrees that alcohol and drug dependency is a chronic disease ... but it starts with choices. You don't catch it by sitting next to a person that has it.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

dispatchguy

Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:33 pm

In the airline industry, if you have a problem, with drugs or booze, the airline will bendover backwards to get you the help you do need, as long as you confidentially tell someone you need help.

BUT

Report for work in that condition and get snagged to pee in the bottle, its now too late - you're done.
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

ASFlyer

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:17 pm

Actually, the "leeches" at the IAM, if they were to help, would have done so because it's what they're paid to do and failure to do so could also result in a law suit against them for failure to represent. In most instances, having a fair hearing is one of the things you are assured as a union member - and because you've paid your dues, it is the job of the union to represent you to the best of their ability, whether they agree with what you've done or not. For them to do anything less puts them in a precarious position. That said, there are several things (at least at my airline) that the union won't spend a lot of time representing on. Our attendance policy is very cut and dry. Once you reach a certain number of "points" you're terminated. There are MANY opportunities for you to get help before you reach that position and the union will work with you to make sure you have access to the information you need to avoid this, but once you reach the terminable level, generally every opportunity has been afforded you. Another fairly black and white issue is being under the influence of drugs or alcohol at work. If you show up at work intoxicated, or become that way during a trip, and are discovered, the union will be notified by the company and will meet your flight with a company representative. Because the company has to do their due diligence, and can't simply fire someone right on the spot, the union will often times try to take advantage of that very narrow window of opportunity to get you some help before you lose your job. It's not an effort to keep your job, because they know that ship has sailed, it's just an effort to help you get some help if you need it while you still have insurance.

Turns out, the "leeches" as you call them, do more than just save bad employees jobs. They actually do quite a bit for the employees that doesn't involve keeping bad employees in jobs. I've NEVER been called in for any kind of discipline, and am not the kind of employee that probably ever would be - but I can't imagine not having my union for many reasons that have nothing to do with helping me keep my job.

Finally, this person sums up my airlines views on drugs and alcohol in the work place:

Quoting dispatchguy (Reply 29):
In the airline industry, if you have a problem, with drugs or booze, the airline will bendover backwards to get you the help you do need, as long as you confidentially tell someone you need help.

BUT

Report for work in that condition and get snagged to pee in the bottle, its now too late - you're done.

Mir

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:30 pm

Quoting windowflyer (Reply 3):
And who would that help? No one. Not her and certainly not the airline.
Far better for her problem to be known and addressed. (Assuming she has a problem.)

Would have helped her a lot more, and wouldn't have hurt the airline any more.

The industry very rightly takes a dim view of those who try to work while drunk.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Brewfangrb

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:13 pm

Quoting bond007 (Reply 28):
I don't think anyone disagrees that alcohol and drug dependency is a chronic disease ... but it starts with choices. You don't catch it by sitting next to a person that has it.

You don't understand the mechanism or physiology of addiction.

DDR

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:39 pm

Everyone deserves another chance. If this was the only time this happened then in my opinion termination is too severe. No one here knows what was going on in her life.

Mandatory counseling would be preferable to termination if this was the first time this happened.

Just my opinion.

barney captain

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:47 pm

Has the story even been confirmed?
Southeast Of Disorder

EA CO AS

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:47 pm

Quoting DDR (Reply 32):
Everyone deserves another chance. If this was the only time this happened then in my opinion termination is too severe. No one here knows what was going on in her life.

Mandatory counseling would be preferable to termination if this was the first time this happened.

Just my opinion.

As AS Flyer said, the company will bend over backwards to get you help if you have a problem.

Provided you come forward voluntarily and ask for that help.

If you get caught via random testing and/or because you showed up for duty while under the influence, it's too late - you're going to be an ex-employee.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ASFlyer

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:54 pm

Quoting barney captain (Reply 33):
Has the story even been confirmed?

and then there's this...

This entire discussion is based on one persons observations and opinions that they put out there on social media for the whole world to see. That person didn't smell alcohol on the Flight Attendant, they didn't verify whether s/he was or was not under the influence, they simply made a judgement and put it on the internet and now we're having this conversation. Kind of scary if you ask me.

opethfan

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:17 pm

Quoting maxamuus (Reply 20):

While I have no opinion on the matter, there certainly is not consensus within the medical community that addiction is (to be labelled) a disease.

F9Animal

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:43 pm

I have to ask, but is there an actual reliable news story here? I am calling bs here. The FA very well could have been sick, or had a medical problem! I have seen countless people exhibit drunk behaviors, only to learn they were having a diabetic health problem, or even a reaction to a medicine. Alaska has some pretty top notch FA's, so I am pretty certain this is a disgruntled passenger looking to raise a rucus. The fact no media outlets have reported on this tells me it is likely a false accusation.
I Am A Different Animal!!

Prost

Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:17 am

One thing I'll note is that if this happened on a carrier that had bases throughout the country, the flight could have be recreated much quicker. Flying on carriers that are more local may give you more local flavor, and hometown hospitality, but when operations are impacted at one of the outposts, it can be a negative.

KaiGywer

Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:31 am

As there has been no proof this incident happened, and the thread has turned into what is and isn't alcoholism, it is now closed.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos